Maid-amonogatari! (Maid system, teachers and students still welcome!)

Started by wander, September 26, 2015, 07:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Tamashi is an 18 year old high school senior, his life was completely normal until one summer holiday he bumped into the first girl that would call him Master! All of a sudden more people came into his life until a whole bunch of supernatural goings became his daily life! Surrounded by a bunch of highschool girls of varying origin (including the odd schoolboy and trans too...), not every one is trying to get into Tamashi's pants (some are trying to get with each other!) but everyone needs their senpai for some reason, if they only they could just get his attention for one moment...

OOC Thread Here:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=237506.0

The above is the general idea for a game of Maid rpg, a system that usually is based around a Master (the GM) and the Maids (the PCs) have to get his attention in various ways, competing to get the most.

However, I decided to flip things on it's head a little and gain inspiration from some of my fave anime, like Tenchi Muyo! and (more strongly) Bakemonogatari. The concept being the Master is the PC's senpai in highschool and each Maid has a reason for trying to get his attention. I felt it would make for a better narrative and sandbox that way.
I'm also allowing PCs to play teacher characters too now btw!

Also anyone can crush on anyone else, not just the Master... One reason your character may need to get Tamashi's attention is for their wisdom in helping your character nab their crush.

As a quick note, if you like the sound of the game but don't own the system, it's available at drivethru in pdf format for a super decent price.

Let me know if interested below and I'll try and answer any questions you may have also.

JoanieSappho

wander

Awesome. :)

If you both know anyone that'd be interested in playing and are cowriters you enjoy or just good friends, let them know... If I get enough interest that characters come in, I'll look into making this game up. :)

Sorrow Singer

I'll throw my hat in if there is still room. I know only a little of the system, but it seems fun from what i have seen.

Mysterica

wander

Excellent stuff, there is very much room! ^^

I'd like to keep recruitment open-ended with a more the merrier feel. Okay, so there's some interest... If possible I'd like to see some characters made up, I'm going to be open on character sheet format as the game stats tend to tell a lot of what makes a Maid up. If interested, post up your characters and lets see who'll be joining.

Oh and bonus points for character pics actually in highschool uniform or whatever fits the random concepts sure to come in. :)

JoanieSappho

And, character rolled!

Name: Kato Iori
Hair: Green
Eyes: Sky blue
Clothes: Beige

Athletics: 2
Affection: 4
Skill: 2
Cunning: 0
Luck: 1
Will: 2

Maid Types: Pure/Boyish
(+Affection, Athletics, -Cunning, Skill)

Qualities: Sickly, Actually a guy
Root: Childhood Friend
Stress Explosion: Sleep
Maid Power: Windows of the Soul
Weapon: Mop/broom

Spirit: 20
Starting Favour: 8

Background
A friend of Tamashi since they were both little boys, Iori has always been fond of their friend, although it wasn't until rather recently that she began to realize just what her feelings for him really were.
Although most friends would have spent all of their time playing outside together, Iori and Tamashi's early days were, by necessity, spent indoors more often than not. The list of medical conditions that Iori suffers from is depressingly long although, as she is happy to tell those who ask, at least her heart is strong. The rest of her ... not so much. A cold passing around the neighbourhood would put her in bed for days while others had only a sore throat, and then there was her throat and lungs.
Iori speaks softly as raising her voice can easily provoke fits of coughing, and most physical activities quickly leave her exhausted.

And, of course, there's the change in pronouns to consider. When Iori and Tamashi played, Iori barely knew what gender was. But these days Iori is glad that her name works as well for a girl as for a boy, and now terrified at how Tamashi will react to her new, true self.
And these girls calling Tamashi 'Master'? No. He always looked out for her, and now she'll return the favour and keep these girls away from her Tamashi.

wander

Mysterica

Name: Honoka Hitachi
Athletics: 2
Affection: 2+1-1=2
Skill: 2+1=3
Cunning: 1-1=0
Luck: 3
Will: 2

Types: Pure, Cool

Hair: Orange
Eyes: Green
Uniform: White

Special Qualities: Perversion: Exhibitionist, Secret Job: Pro creator (pop artist)

Maid Roots: Admirer of Maids
Stress Explosion: Shopping
Maid Power: Foreboding
Maid Weapon: Guan Dao

Spirit: 20
Favor: 4

Backstory: Honoka has been around the world on tour singing and dancing on stage for thousands of fans at a time, but she wasn't nearly as happy as the tabloids made it out to be.  She had fun while up on stage, and got to go to cool places and do cool things, but most of her smiles were rather halfhearted.  As much fame and money as she had, what she really wanted was to be able to laugh and relax like everyone else her age.  What she really wanted more than anything was a group of real friends and finally she was going to get a chance.

For two years she had been out of country on tour in Europe, then America and was finally coming home.  After dealing with some hassle from her manager she found out that she would no longer have to be home schooled and could go to a regular high school.  It meant relearning how to do things for herself for a while, but if she could get to spend some time living a normal life for a change she would deal with it.

wander

Ooh, a closet pervert idol girl!
Awesome stuff. :)

Ideally I'd like at least one other character before I kick the game off, whilst keeping recruiting open for more later arrivals, to keep numbers up. :)

Mysterica

Yes indeed.  Just a fair warning though, she is far more interested in chasing skirts than finding a guy.

GunmetalDreamer

I'll throw my hat it too, though it's been a while since I played Maid.

Name:  Kano (Kah-no, not Kay-no) Matsudara

Athletics:  3 + 1 – 1  = 3
Affection:  1
Skill:  2 – 1 = 1
Cunning:  3
Luck:  3 + 1 = 4
Will:  4

Types:  Boyish, Lolita

Hair
:  Black
Eyes:  Red
Uniform:  White

Special Qualities
:  Easy Going, Vampire

Maid Roots:  Revenge
Stress Explosion:  Complaining
Maid Power:  Immune to Pain

Favor:  2
Spirit:  40

Background
:
Down in the shopping district, rumors circulate about the "Little Princess of Sako Ward".  If one listens to such things, she's a lawless predator who stalks the back alleys and arcades looking for someone foolish enough to challenge her.  Supposedly, during one hot summer, she broke the back of the rising 6 Cataclysms gang single handedly.  Most unbelievably, they say that the gang never recovered, because despite her fierce eyes, the Princess is said to be a small girl with a sweet face!

Of course, all of these things are true, as foolish as you would need to be to believe them.  Kano has a bit of an ace up her sleeve though, young as she seems, the Princess of Sako is an immortal vampire!  Preying on a bunch of puffed up delinquents is a simple matter, when you've risen to a higher rung on the food chain from mankind.

Lately, however, the arcades have seen little of their twin tailed legend, because Kano heard a disturbing rumor.  Though he seems unaware of it himself, Sempai is in fact descended from a group of monster hunters who caused no end of trouble for Kano and her kind a long time ago.  Being the mischievous kind, the thought of turning such a person into a vampire struck her as the best kind of revenge for his ancestors deeds.  If only these other girls would stop interfering!

It's worth noting that despite her fierce reputation, Kano has a few chinks in her stolid armor.  Though coffins are old fashioned and she's not old enough to burst into flame under the light of the sun, the fact remains that she does sleep away most of the day, and can usually be found resting in the bough of a tree or flopped over someplace shady during the daylit hours.  Furthermore, despite her reputation, Kano really is a girl and has a maiden's heart...the fact that she's abysmal at the skills of a house wife is a point she's rather sensitive about.  Don't be surprised if she inflicts her poor cooking on others, eyes glistening with anticipation and hope...after years of undeath, she doesn't even really remember what good food is supposed to taste like.

wander

She is great Gunmetal... Though for E rules, best edit to say she looks at least 16, yeah? ^^;

However, a Bokkuko Vampire chick is very welcome to the game otherwise! Welcome and good job!

Well, I think I had ought to make an actual game up for this, hadn't I? ^^

Which board would people be most comfortable with though? I'm debating at least Non-Con, not that I'm going for that, but we're covered as far as seductions and stress explosions may go and it frees up the writing some.

Also, I think I'm going to allow players to take on second characters if they want to do so... If numbers do seem to stay low or drop-out occurs, there should still be a good number of characters to keep the game rolling that way. ^^

I wonder if we'll get some other interest too. :)

JoanieSappho

Yeah, Maid can get a bit ... Maid-y. Non-con's probably the safer bet, I think. Not that there'll be tons of non-con stuff, but it gives us wiggle room.
As for second characters, I might roll up another, but I'm already rather attached to Iori. She's disturbingly (considering the whole 'random character rolled in Maid' thing) similar to a much younger version of me.

Speaking of which, if I ever seem out of it or slow responding, poke me. That 'Sickly' result has had a few more years over here, and I might have had a bad day or night and missed something, despite having apparently read it.

wander

I think half the fun of Maid is rolling up the characters, so I may do some pregens for offer to players if they want that option, though there's something more personal (and fun!) in rolling up the character yourself and making them your own... I think the ones listed so far here are amazing! ^^

Idlewyld

Here's one more

Name:   Mitsumi Tamaya
Hair Color: Sky Blue
Eye Color: Silver
Uniform Color: Metallic
----------------------------------------
Athletics: 3+1=4
Affection: 3=3
Skill: 3-1=2
Cunning:1=1
Luck:3-1=2
Will:2+1=3
Favor: 6
Spirit: 30
---------------------------------------
Types: Boyish Heroine
Qualities: Uniform - Elf Ears, Overactive Imagination
Roots: Who Knows?
Stress Explosion: Sleep
Power: Super Evasion
Weapon: Hand to Hand

Mitsumi Tamaya is the captain of the girl's swim and dodgeball teams. Although she and Tamashi went to different middle schools, she has known him for the last three years, sharing at least four classes with him, albeit from opposite sides of the room. Although she couldn't say why, she finds him interesting to the point of intriguing. In fact, her grades have suffered because she has spent less time paying attention to the teacher and more daydreaming about him.

But the time for fantasy is past. Mitsumi has promised herself that this year, she will act! Ears or not (Oh - didn't I mention her strangely shaped ears and her self-conscious attitude towards them? Well, there ya go...) she is going to tell him how she feels and then win his heart once and for all. It will take some doing - she certainly recognizes that she isn't the only girl vying for his attention - but it will get done, come Hell or High Water...

JoanieSappho

That reminds me of a question I should have asked. Are we doing weapons? Since if so, I should probably roll that.

wander

I think I'll keep the option in, though tbh I have given that aspect zero thought! xD

But in case it comes up or if you just want the option there (or you want that 1000T hammer to smack Tamashi on the head with ^^), then do feel free to list a weapon for your character. :)

Mysterica

I hadn't rolled it because I too hadn't thought it would really come up, but for shits and giggles let's see what kinda heat Honoka is packing...  Survey says "Halberd/Polearm"  Hm... not too much of a stretch from swinging around a mike stand on stage.  I like it!  Make it so Number One!  Only question now is "naginata or guan dao".

Golden Spider

Here are my O/Os: http://bit.ly/1HmHtRE 

I have taken the Oath of the Drake: http://tinyurl.com/ptea68l

wander

Quote from: Golden Spider on September 30, 2015, 11:23:58 PM
I know nothing of maid but it sounds funish.

Hia Golden, Maid is a system game that uses six sided dice, it can be found really cheap as a pdf on drivethrurpg.

As a rundown, basically to do something important, a player rolls a dice and multiplies the result by the stat that is most relevant to their action. The GM (who plays the Master that the Maids all work for) decides the number they need to roll over, which decides if they succeed or not.

Combat comes in when a Maid has to make an opposed roll against someone (maybe another Maid). This basically comes down to which result is highest from the opposing parties, after rolling a dice multiplied by their relevant stat and comparing. The loser takes 'Stress', which can lead to a Stress Explosion (where a Maid can only do the action listed in that part of her character sheet), if Stress mounts up more than her Spirit.

Talking about the results of Stress... What's usually a fair house-rule for the reduction of Stress and the time-out for Stress Explosion in a Pbp environment for those who have recently played Maid in a Pbp format?

A point of Favour for the best answer! xD

GunmetalDreamer

Heh, yeah, my curse in Maid character generation seems to be that I always end up with lolita as one of my Types.  Kind of like I can't get through a game of Munchkin without being gender swapped, I've kinda just learned to roll with it.  Still, bumping up that age a bit in the name of compliance, loli seems to be more a body archetype than an indication of character age these days anyway.

I basically agree with Joanie, while I think it's best tone-wise for consensual lewdness (keeps things upbeat in line with the game's comedic roots), having the extra wiggle room non-con allows for can be useful.

Not that I'm at all conniving to go and take sempai by force or anything...

Mmn, as far as Stress Explosions go, my honest experience with Maid in pbp is to just ignore the timing mechanic.  At a table, twenty minutes or so can go by pretty quick, especially since it also includes OOC and break time.  Best to just mark explosions down "Until the end of the scene", in my experience.

The other popular option is to try and map days to minutes somehow (5 min a day or something), but I think we know that in pbp all days are not created equal.

Similarly, it pays to remember that you're not out of the game while Exploded, you can still do things, they just have to tie in to your Explosion somehow.  Sleep can be pretty tough in that regard, though I've seen both Luck and Affection rolls come out during it.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on October 01, 2015, 11:16:04 AM

Similarly, it pays to remember that you're not out of the game while Exploded, you can still do things, they just have to tie in to your Explosion somehow.  Sleep can be pretty tough in that regard, though I've seen both Luck and Affection rolls come out during it.

Curses, my cunning sleep-snuggle-senpai plan has been foiled! Now how will I abuse my high Affection?!
:P

Also, the Explosion = end of current scene thing does seem to work the best. It doesn't go on too long, it has a definite negative effect that will make us want to avoid it, and it doesn't need any fancy timekeeping.

GunmetalDreamer

On the note of player strategies, when're you rolling up Sempai, Wander?