Airships and Dragons (Pathfinder)

Started by Autocad, January 09, 2015, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Well, I know that Spell-Like abilities count for feats like Arcane Strike, and prestige classes like Eldritch Knight... but you can't alter them with things like rods, metamagic feats, or count them as on your spell-list for purposes of using scrolls and wands.

So in conclusion: I'unno. I would lean towards "No" myself, since it seems to fall more into the vein of metamagic and less pre-req's

However, either way, Charm Person from a tail would count as a Level one spell; Dominate person would be counted as a level four. So the bonus from Oni bloodline wouldn't exactly be impressive. If it does work though, it's not a bad combo - especially since spell-like abilities don't require components - including verbal. You just will it to happen and it does. So nobody gives you the stink-eye for waggling your fingers and mumbling some old hoodoo at 'em

Florence

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/imposing-scion

Another stupid question. Would that give her a +2 Intimidate bonus against... oni, outsiders in general... what exactly? :o
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Florence on January 10, 2015, 11:34:49 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/imposing-scion

Another stupid question. Would that give her a +2 Intimidate bonus against... oni, outsiders in general... what exactly? :o

It would apply to creatures with the "Outsider (Oni)" type / subtype.

Florence

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 10, 2015, 11:37:41 PM

-nods- makes sense.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Autocad

Quote from: Florence on January 10, 2015, 10:07:25 PM
Question: For the sake of this...

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/oni-bloodline

Does a spell like ability, like what you'd get from this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/magical-tail-kitsune

Count as "casting a spell"?

Nope. Here's how I justify it from a non-meta perspective: the oni heritage provides the bloodline arcana power which applies to the spells from oni heritage, i.e. the sorcerer spells, but not to the spell-like abilities granted from kitsune feats which come from kitsune heritage.

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 10, 2015, 11:37:41 PM

Correct.

Completed applications:
Changingsaint (Mikhail Volkov, male human Alchemist, Engineer)
Latooni Subota (Bonnie "Glorioushair" Lass, female halfling Summoner, Helmswoman)

Interested:
Interdiction of words (?)
Florence (kitsune sorceress, gunner)
Inerrant Lust (?)
TheGlyphstone (hobgoblin warlord, captain)
Zaer Darkwail (aasimar bard, captain)
Muse (cleric?)
Loki Aesir (catfolk brawler/rogue, helmsman)
rikka (?)
Chulanowa (captain)

Foxfyr

Name: M’iaq
Race: Catfolk
Class: Brawler 2/Rogue 2
Character Sheet

Physical Description: Fur covers him from head to toe, which is hardly a surprise among catfolk.  His coat in particular strongly resembles that of a tiger, so it isn’t common for him to be mistaken as being tiger-kin, especially given his adoptive parents.  Lithe, strong physique that hints to the rigorous dedication spent honing his abilities. 

Personality: M’iaq is the sort that loves a good challenge, especially those that come in the form of physical prowess; doubly so if drinks are involved or included in the wager.  He’s been in more bar fights than may be deemed appropriate, but so long as his opponent fought fair and with honor, he wouldn’t hesitate to buy them a drink once they dusted themselves off.  Those who provoke his ire will quickly realize he is not the sort to pull his punches and often times expresses his displeasure with a swift punch rather than words.  Despite these personality quirks, he is outgoing, fun-loving, and always in the mood for a good laugh.

Background: M’iaq is from one of the least tamed areas of the land known as Kvatch, found just beyond the fringes of civilization.  Here the more feral races are commonplace as their more wild aspects aid them in their survival in these rough lands.  He remembers little of being a cub or what happened to his biological parents, but it was a weretiger couple that raised him for as long as he could remember.  M’iaq wasn’t even in his adulthood when his father started taking him on his fishing vessel to work on the coastal seas.  After years of that, he was a capable sailor and knew well how to handle such a vessel and found that he enjoyed the reward of hard work.
When he was twenty he managed to save up enough to invest in a ship of his own, which he used to perform various types of work.  The most common of which being salvaging and treasure hunting.  Piracy was common on in these waters so removed from civilization and there was plenty opportunities to pick over the remains of wasted or abandoned vessels.  Whoever led the assault against the vessel always walked away with a majority of the loot, but M’iaq had a knack for finding the secret nooks and crannies where the truly valuable stuff was so easily overlooked.

It was one such vessel where he found a particular bauble that would change the course of his life.  Not long after finding this trinket, he was approached by a man by the name of Arano Yuki who claimed that the item in question belonged to him before the ship carrying it was attacked, that it held a value to him beyond financial wealth.  As an off-handed joke to that, M’iaq implied that since its value superseded material wealth, then so to should the reward be for reclaiming such a prize.  He was nearly floored with surprise when the man, seemingly going along with his banter, repaid him accordingly by teaching him and allowing him to fly his personal airship.  Even though it was only for the duration of the week, that time spent with the old man was to date the most significant moment of M’iaq’s life.  The time spent with Arano during that week was such a bonding experience that he was actually choked up when he learned of the man’s passing and couldn’t help but find the opportunity to be the helmsman for the fine vessel to be a bittersweet opportunity.

Airship role: Helmsman

Ons and Offs:
Ons – Light bondage, coercion, rough (wrestling) sex, light D/s, leash and collar submission, and pretty much anything that isn’t in offs.
Offs – Toilet play and mutilation.

Zaer Darkwail

Here comes my aasimar bard captain entry;

Aaron Windwhisper, male azata-blooded aasimar bard (sea/wind singer)
Physiclal Description: Aaron stands 5'8 height and has rather striking supernatural appearance (by most he is thought to be strikingly beautiful if bit alien) with pointed ears and golden brilliant eyes and white curly short hair. He prefers dress in bright cheerful colors, in present he wears dark green leather pants and vest with gold lining and white satin shirt (which is actually a disguised mithril chain shirt). Wearing travel worn boots and carries a worn used wooden three stringed sanxian along with well made shortbow with quivers with red feathers in his back and in waist a satchel which stores surprising a lot stuff.

Also not to forget describe his golden floating serpent companion which is actually a small dragon which does not commune in any language besides yelps, hisses, growls and whistling whines.

Personality: Aaron is a dreamer sort, take things easy laid back attitude. However he is not lazy and rather devoted to mastering his craft and skills as artist and driven to find his kin, where they may be or learn where he comes from. Overall he wants to do good and find some good from anyone. He often plays with his sanxian and enjoys listening music himself and he more than eagerly joins in performance with no profit in mind, just create music and cheer folks up when he can. He is fiercely loyal to friends and people who are close to him. Overall he is also compassionate soul.

Background: Aaron was found by Arano Yuki during his travels, he found a mere boy of five summers drifting in skies on atop a cloud which he nearly dived through with his vessel but in time spotted the unconscious boy. As Aaron woke he had no memory how he end up floating in cloud (as he was taken the odd solid cloud disappeared). Last night there had been fierce storm which nearly broke Arano's vessel, so he guess child fell off from another ship and by some divine miracle he did not fall down all to the earth and crushed to death by gravity.

Arano Yuki spend years looking for Aaron's parents, meantime he named boy as Aaron and he worked as his deck boy for several years. On age of twelve Arano delivered Aaron to academy where he learns other skills than scrubbing deck and living on ships, Aaron wished to stay but Arano was persistent about it. So Aaron stayed and he found passion in music, rapidly picking it up and becoming maestro with string instruments, taking sanxian as his instrument of choice.

Arano Yuki continued his search, but he did not find Aaron's kin but he speculates it's somewhere in the skies as he found Aaron in the skies. At age of sixteen Aaron then departed from academy and started travel widely, his restless ever wandering spirit he traveled widely and learned various things, not mastering any arts but learn lots of things none the less. Along with his travels he befriended a golden tiny dragon, which he saved from hunters trap and dragon grew very fond of Aaron and they had traveled since then. Aaron is not 100% sure of dragon's gender (he strongly suspects it's female) so he named her Yuna. One peculiar talent what he had is how his music had some effect with winds around him and he had natural affinity, nay, forlorn actually, return to the skies. During the years Aaron and Arano Yuki crossed paths and he sometimes took him on trips to check some places out, to see did places anyway awaken any memories in Aaron's early childhood. So far no success. Considering Aaron's desires and his strong affinity to wander and forlorn to the skies Arano Yuki then remembered him on his will, hoping Aaron finds answers in his lifetime while Arano himself could not.

Airship Role: Captain

Ons/Offs: Char specific ones besides my signature linked ones;
Ons: Romance, exotic appearance, long extending foreplays, roleplays (includes playing light D/s scenarios), bondage (done others), light hearted teasing
Offs: Toilet/Vomit, feces, mutilation, extreme pain, cruelty

Special: Ask bit house ruling on some sea singer powers, in one example it gives bonus (or reduction in difficulty) to swim checks but would wish apply it to fly skill checks instead (idea is more air themed influence than water). Another custom thing is his familiar; pseudodragon would be closest for what I seek statically and theme but they are 7th CL familiars. So up to Gm decide either roll stats for something which compares to celestial hawk or watered down pseudodragon (or that dragon is not fully mature and matures full at 7th CL).

TheGlyphstone

Name: Kurat Kor

Description:Kurat is relatively tall for a hogoblin, making him just about average relative to most humans. The green-grey skin of his torso, which he leaves bare unless readying himself for combat, is covered in an intricate web of old battle scars and tribal tattoos - the tattoos extend futher down his body, but are hidden by modesty with a bland and unassuming kilt-like wrap. In war, he still wears his personal suit of lacquered metal armor, lovingly repaired and patched countless times since he left his tribe behind, and hews into his foes with a mighty two-handed sword.

Personality:Forged in the harsh fires of hobgoblin culture, and tempered by the unforgiving chill of the wide world beyond, Kurat can be a curious contradiction in terms. To strangers, outsiders, and even potential allies he is direct and blunt to the point of rudeness - but once inside his social armor, there is a solid and surprisingly friendly man who is loyal to the core when loyalty is returned. He is strict and intensely disciplined, treating his word as a sacred bond and inviolable once given; on the other hand, a foe to whom no word has been given is fair game for whatever underhanded or sneaky tricks can be devised to tilt the playing field in Kurat's favor. To him, naturally, this is no contradiction at all - to die defeated is the greatest of dishonors, and his oath is too precious to be given to an opponent he cannot trust in return.

Background: Raised communally, as hobgoblins are, Kurat was indoctrinated with the supremacy of strength and martial skill quite literally before he learned to walk. Hobgoblin society is built on the premise of strong ruling weak, and weak being enslaved by strong - nothing in Kurat's childhood showed him this was anything but the right and proper way of things. As he aged, though, he slowly became disillusioned; while strength mean primacy, too many of his contemporaries took their use of power beyond what he felt reasonable, and were lessened for their cruelties. With his gifts at martial combat, he grew rapidly in rank, taking slaves of his own as was proper - but unlike those contemporaries, he treated his slaves with highly uncharacteristic respect. Exceptional success was rewarded, instead of failure being disproportionately punished - his slaves strived to please him for the perks his favor would earn, rather than out of blind fear of his wrath. This made them more efficient, less troublesome, and further sped his rise to success, but others saw him as weak for his mercy and were jealous of his power. Unable to defeat him on the dueling field, his enemies instead resorted to assassination of character; he was framed for the theft of a slave, one of hobgoblin society's most heinous crimes. Rather than be stripped of his rank and enslaved himself, he fled and turned ronin, forsaking a culture that had proven itself to be unworthy of his principles.

But the outside world was no kinder to him than his own tribe had been. It too respected strength, but unlike hobgoblins, placed equal worth on appearances and heritage. Barred from 'polite' society by his race, he became a bandit and criminal - first on land, then at sea. By virtue of prowess and charisma, he again rose to a position of power, a pirate captain in his own right and a known if relatively minor scourge to merchants. Unfortunately for Kurat, he eventually made the mistake of targeting the ship owned and captained by a much younger Arano Yuki at the height of his own career. Caught in the other ship's unexpectedly vicious teeth and swiftly overwhelmed by Yuki's crew, Kurat expected to die then and there. But instead, Arano spared him, and when asked why only answered "You will understand, in time."

Financially crippled and humiliated, but alive, Kurat spent years rebuilding his profits and prestige, though eventually he returned to his previous pastimes. Again, he crossed paths with a ship upon which Arano Yuki was traveling - but this time the merchant vessel was already being beset by a pirate, one much larger than Kurat's own craft, and Yuki was clearly losing. Now Kurat understood; somehow, the trade baron had know he would someday be in trouble, and spared Kurat for that day just in case. Now Kurat returned the favor, coming to Yuki's aid against the other pirate; outweighed and outgunned, but far more maneuverable, he held to the enemy's blind spot and methodically blew the bigger ship into pieces. There was plenty of loot and salvage to be had in the aftermath - life-debts settled, he and Yuki parted ways in peace.

Several years later, they again met each other - this time, it was Yuki who had sought out Kurat. The shipping magnate was in search of a treasure, one that would cement his supremacy against his rivals for the rest of his life, but those rivals were watching every vessel in Yuki's control for a hint of his movements. He needed a privately owned ship that would sail at his direction and keep its mouth shut for coin, and specifically looked for Kurat and his crew. But his answer to queries over why he trusted Kurat - a pirate who had once tried to kill him - Yuki again only said that the answer would someday be obvious. So they sailed, and while Kurat never spoke to anyone about the journey or what Yuki found at the end, he knew to be patient.

They would never meet again in person, Arano dying of old age after a century of empire-building. The years had not been kind to Kurat either; he was old as well, long since displaced as king of his little patch of the years by younger and more ambitious men. Only curiosity set him to answer the summons by Arano's estate, and he was surprised by the results. From beyond the grave, the magnate made an offer to his old frenemy; go on one last journey, and be given command of a ship greater than he had ever imagined. It was the second half of the payment for a journey long ago, and the second time symmetry had linked them together; once Kurat had let Yuki use his ship, and now Yuki would let Kurat use his. To sweeten the deal, Yuki's will offered Kurat a personal bonus - the magic charm he had once worn to help stave off the ravages of time on his body, now useless at the end of his life. To be given youth, and a ship, for a simple delivery, was too much at once for the old pirate to refuse.

Airship Role: Captain

Ons/Offs: Close to my own (see signature link), with the exception of a strong dislike for D/s style power play. Rough sex and bondage are fine, but the dynamic of a master+slave relationship is still a deeply relevant cultural tradition to Kurat (including literal concubines and sex slaves), and not one he is willing to mock or pervert via sexual role-play.

Commentary: I've asked for the use of Dreamscarred Press's Warlord class from Tome of War. If you like the character concept but want to stay firm on the 3rd party-ban, the character is also perfectly functional built as a Sword Saint Samurai from Paizo-official material. If accepted, I'll spent a chunk of my wealth to purchase an item of Lesser Age Resistance built as per item creation formulae, the necklace 'gifted' to Kurat in the will contingent on his acceptance of the job (which is contingent on your acceptance of his existence, and I would happily negotiate for a more potent anti-aging effect  ;D ). This could, technically, be redesigned to follow the literal description in the thread header by making Kurat the child of a pirate Arano knew, but I don't like that nearly as much as I do the back-and-forth dynamic over 30+ years that they shared.

Chulanowa

Name: Raji, a thankful shortening of "Banarajituu Djiriubali Dulutrapinume."
Position: Captain
Race: Human
Class: Swashbuckler (Whirling Dervish archetype)
Character sheet: (sans equipment) http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1095397

Background
In the course of building his shipping empire, Arano Yuki had to cut deals and make friends both above and below the table. Some of his contacts were found at both levels; the Dulutrapinume family was among these. At alternating points in history it was a nautical trade dynasty in its own right; as fortunes waned and waxed, the family would flee to the seas to couch their fortunes in smuggling and privateerism. Over time the two blended, and the Dulutrapinume House - and its many smaller families - became known as a dependable source of goods and services, both on and off the tax register. Regardless of the criminal threads on the family's loom, they maintained a standard of nobility and erudition; what good is wealth, after all, if it cannot be used to better yourself?

Banarajituu Djiriubali Dulutrapinume was the product of this history, born between the union of a scion (though not direct heir) of the House, and a maid from the newly-allied ruling family of the island of Jranaga. She enjoyed the lessons of private tutors, alongside the sword training from her father's men, and divinity training from the shamans of her mother's people; the Dulutrapinume House was one of many faiths, after all. The girl also came to enjoy visits from "Uncle" Yuki, and the exotic trinkets and stories he would bring the family.

Times and fortunes change, however; For all these many years, the Dulutrapinume family held and expanded, even when forced underground by hard-nosed regents and the like. Outside rivals were always well-guarded against, but mutinies inside the house? Now there was a weak spot. At a tender age, Raji was yanked form her bed, a strong hand clapped over her mouth; the house butler. Screams of pain and the clash of steel and crackle of fire filled her ears as she was smuggled away with other escapees. It would be months before the refugees learned what had happened; The family of Cao-xe, one of the oldest and most loyal in the House's aegis, had made its play, and with several other lesser houses, and the aid of the guard, the house of Dulutrapinume was broken and scattered. Purges would follow in the enclaves in other cities and lands, but the flag of Cao-xe never rose; their alliance broke apart swiftly, the family treasuries taken by the regent's guard.

For the last several years, Raji has scrabbled for what she can. Her manor life, with its tutors and fine swordplay, has fallen by the wayside. Her lessons on blade, and the examples of leadership she collected have served her well in her travels... as has her mercantile skills. Gold has passed through her hands like water thus far, but trade is trade. Even if it's not legal. Her most recent job, however, was a major setback; simple enough, a smuggling of fine cloth from a land barring its export without steep tariff... It went sour on delivery, and Raji was forced to flee, blade in hand the whole way.

It was this blade that the messenger found pressed against his neck when he finally managed to track "Banarajituu Djiriubali Dulutrapinume" to the topical port city of Dar Celim. Shaken but not soiled, he produced the mark of "Uncle Yuki," and Raji saw that her fortunes were changing for the better. Her, here was opportunity! To restore herself and her family, or at least the best chance at it. With her last handful of silver, she bought the messenger several rounds of drinks as way of apology, and followed him to his waiting ship.

Personality
   Raji is torn between two people. Raised as a noble's daughter, she is classically-trained, urbane, and learned in several fields. Aloof, though not to the point of arrogance, she sees her place in the world as being near the top. However, she's spent her adult years as a smuggler and scoundrel, quick on the draw and fast on her feet. In all things, Raji is intense, passionate. To achieve anything, one must reach out and seize it. This is as true in society as in battle, or in business. Many of the more impractical noble habits have fallen aside during her hardscrabble times - a lady of her prior station would never kick her feet onto a table and swill salted beer, and she couldn't forth the life of herself tell you how to set a table other than "food goes on the plate." Practical, sharp (a little sarcastic, in fact) and well aware of her own abilities; and the need to surpass those.

Ship Role:
   Daughter of a house admiral and his wife from a seafaring people, supposed heir to a nautical empire, and raised to follow in that wake, Raji is also a natural leader well-suited for the command post of Captain; Plenty of practical experience heading smaller crews and vessels has prepared her, she hopes.

Ons / offs:
   - Raji is open-minded to partners. Race and gender aren't hard rules for her. Mental ability is. Someone who cannot kep up with dinner conversaion is certainly not going ot engage in pillow talk.
   - as for specifics, Raji ould rather die than be forced against her will, and after the life sheh as led, the htought of being bound or restricted in such a vulnerble affair is... unappealing. She's heard tales of people who get off on things best left to the sick-nurse, and simply cannot fathom it. (i.e., no NC, or excrement for Raji, thank you, and bondage would need to be either very light, or with someone she trusts with her life)
    - Raji has had furtive romances at a few port callings, but nothing has developed enough to really explore; there's a definite element of "never know 'til you try."
   - other than this, refer to my own preferences.

Still a bit wobbly on race, and the exact details of class, but besides that, she's done. Basically a mashup of Captain Amelia from Treasure Planet and Ian Malcom from Firefly in my head.

Also, offer stands to provide a second "gunner" if preferred!

rikka

Name: Shan Zuk

Physical Description
Like all Tengu, Shan Zuk appears like a bipedal man-sized crow, with lanky but well-toned limbs ending in talons. The black feathers covering his body appear unkempt, rarely finding time to groom them.  His one distinctive feature is a long diagonal scar which slashes where his right eye used to be, a critical injury he received from rival thieves who stormed his comrades’ hideout and decimated them. 

Personality
Shan Zuk tends to be soft-spoken, especially to those he is not familiar with, but is not afraid to speak up what is on his mind.  He also somewhat of a naiveté, dullard to a point - slow to react or grasp a concept - but is a quick learner.  This is compensated with his quick eye for things which has often saved the lives of his crew members.  Having lived most his life with his kind, Shan Zuk finds working or living with other races something new and exotic.  He has yet to learn and to enjoy what life has to offer him beyond his flock, and he has all the time in the world.

Background:
As a youngling, Shan Zuk (which is translated to Claw-out-eyes) always wondered and asked this question to himself:  why their kind had lost the ability to fly? No one could give him a straight answer, telling him instead not to fuss on such trivial matters and focus more on the harsh realities they face on a daily basis.  For Shan Zuk’s flock are tengu: social misfits, and urban nomads who never stay in one place for long in fear of total persecution from the populace and the authorities.  They subsist on acts of thievery, and with the occasional derring-do crime that they come up with from time to time.
One such heist involved a certain ship captain by the name of Arano Yuuki, who was said to have amassed a large collection of exotic treasures, near and far.  Some of the baubles he possesses are never heard of or seen the like of before.  If successful, their flock could live a life of luxury and security for a long time to come in obscurity - cementing themselves in a powerbase of their design, which they plan build from the loot they would gain.

On the night of the raid, the tengu, along with the young Shan Zuk in tow, successfully infiltrated Arano Yuuki’s ship, where the treasures were said to be kept, neutralizing the guards and crew with little bloodshed involved, wishing to avoid murder among their crimes.  During his exploration of the vessel, Shan Zuk came upon a room where he thought he could find something of great value.  Instead he found Arano Yuuki, waiting for him in the shadows.  He asked the young tengu: what is it he desires the most?” Before Shan Zuk could even answer the question at that odd time, his fellow snatched him off the scene, but not before dropping a trinket of his – a wood carving of a bird with outstretched wings.

The operation was considered a relative success, garnering items they believed would fetch a high price when fenced.  But their celebration was short lived.  A rival thieves’ band, which had the same idea of robbing Arano Yuuki, followed them to their hidden lair.  Accompanied by a band of adventurers, the invaders made short work of the tengu.  Shan Zuk managed to escape barely with his life but not without being pursued by a couple of the thieves.   They managed to corner the young tengu in a dark alley, where they were sure to gut him for good had not Arano Yuuki come to the rescue.

Arano Yuuki took in Shan Zuk and nursed him back to health.  During the time of his recovery, the famed ship captain asked Shan Zuk the same question that was asked of him during their first fated meeting: what is it that he greatly desires?  The young tengu did not know what to answer.  Arano Yuuki told him to thick it carefully and handed him his wooden bird ornament he dropped.  Reflecting upon the trinket in his hands, he knew what he wanted, and eventually told Arano Yuuki what it was: To fly like a bird.  To soar high in the sky and be free, not just from the troubles and discriminations which have grounded him, but actually fly, and see new places, new adventures, from a new perspective.  Arano Yuuki was gladdened by this and introduced Shan Zuk to a new world.

Since then Shan Zuk has worked hard as a new potential member of Arano Yuuki’s multi-planar shipping consortium, learning the ropes in manning airships, and at the same time living part of the dream that he always wanted, to be in the skies.  Time passed on, and Shan Zuk gained a lot experience and adventure as a helmsman, but when news of Arano Yuuki death reached him, he was greatly saddened and at the same time his future in the late captain’s business empire was uncertain.  To his surprise and delight he was chosen to be one the few in Arano Yuuki last will and testament that will entitle them owning their very own airship, none other than Arano’s very first that started it all: The Yuuki!

Airship role:
Helmsman

Ons and Offs

Ons: not much for this character. Is pretty much open to what will be thrown at him. Though he seemed to have suddenly developed a fetish for bondage (both consensual and nonconsensual) foreplay - particularly when he is the one doing it to a recipient.
Offs: Doing your business is just that, don’t bring into play. And although extreme violence is a reality, Shan Zuk would do his best not indulge or be in its receiving end.

Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

Florence

So is it assumed there's a supply of food on the ship, or should I factor rations into my equipment? xD

Edit: DAMNIT. I wanted to watch My Girlfriend is a Gumiho for inspiration. D:

It's a Korean drama, the female lead is a Gumiho (basically the Korean version of a Kitsune, though to be fair, they're technically both based on the Chinese Huli Jing), and the actress who plays her, I always thought did an excellent job of playing her character very... fox-like.

... unfortunately the show is no longer on Netflix's instant streaming service :C

Oh well... TO THE INTERNET!

Autocad

Florence

Okay, putting the final touches on Akane's sheet.

Are we going to play Kitsune's true forms as fully anthropomorphic like normal, or in the more anime-esque 'fox-girl' kind of way?

I'm good with either, honestly.

Oh, and for the record, I'm starting with two 'magical tail' feats, so... she'll be a three-tailed fox at the start xD

TheGlyphstone

So when are you planning on closing applications? I see everyone else making character sheets, and I'm not sure if lacking a sheet for either of my proposed builds is going to hurt my chances of getting the slot.

Revelation

Yeah, if we should make a sheet before we apply I could start making one, though i'd like to see who ends up as what, since the alchemist has a few varying builds and i'd like to help cover some of the gaps in the group.

Florence

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=78542

Well there's Akane's sheet so far, figured I'd toss her up here. I'm not 100% done yet, though... I'm trying to decide if I should leave her ability scores as they are or try switching them up a little to try and improve her constitution. As it stands, she's very much a glass cannon. I gave her high dexterity, a ring of protection +1 and both mage armor and shield to try and allow her to boost up her AC so she doesn't got turned into a mushy red paste the first time an enemy targets her, but I'm still concerned with just how fragile she is.

I could drop her Intelligence down to 8 and bring her constitution up to 10 to give her 4 extra hit points for a little bit of padding, but then I'd have to give up either bluff, disguise or intimidate.

Perhaps a better idea would be to drop her dexterity a little and bump her lower stats, particularly constitution, up a little bit.

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 20 (+5)

That might actually work better. I'd be sacrificing one point of AC and Ranged Attack, but I'd be gaining 2 hit points per level (bringing my current HP up from 12 to 20). I'd also be raising my Wisdom up to 10, so that's an added bonus.

Chulanowa

Well, if you're asking...

1) You want Hit points. Like seriously, a level 4 character should not be worried about a Wand of Magic Missile falling into the other guy's hands. My advice? A point spread like this (after racial mods)
Str 7, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, cha 17.
At level 4, you get a +1 increase to one of these - Dexterity or charisma would make most sense.
This way, you lose either 1 AC or 1 spell DC, but you gain eight hit points and four skill points; also don't forget Favored Class bonus - your choice of +1 HP or +1 skill point per level (or in the case of a kitsune, +1/4 DC to her enchantment spells - not the best for a blaster, really)

2) If you're going for the blaster role, I would suggest finding a way to get Acrobatics in-class via a trait or something. Being able to skootch out of melee range without getting hit by an AoO is super important.

3) This is my inner optimizer talking, but... Oni Bloodline is... A weird one, especially for what you're doing. it's this odd mash of melee and enchantment tactics, neither of which go together well with a blaster character - the 1st level power especially is kind of dead space, becuase a sorcerer doing melee attacks is in it up to their chin... plus, we're on a boat, so, that should be uncommon enough.

Alternately, we could trade up - you the diplomancer fox-creature captain, and i'll gun for the gunner...  ;D

Florence

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 12, 2015, 01:42:05 AM
Well, if you're asking...

1) You want Hit points. Like seriously, a level 4 character should not be worried about a Wand of Magic Missile falling into the other guy's hands. My advice? A point spread like this (after racial mods)
Str 7, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, cha 17.
At level 4, you get a +1 increase to one of these - Dexterity or charisma would make most sense.
This way, you lose either 1 AC or 1 spell DC, but you gain eight hit points and four skill points; also don't forget Favored Class bonus - your choice of +1 HP or +1 skill point per level (or in the case of a kitsune, +1/4 DC to her enchantment spells - not the best for a blaster, really)

2) If you're going for the blaster role, I would suggest finding a way to get Acrobatics in-class via a trait or something. Being able to skootch out of melee range without getting hit by an AoO is super important.

3) This is my inner optimizer talking, but... Oni Bloodline is... A weird one, especially for what you're doing. it's this odd mash of melee and enchantment tactics, neither of which go together well with a blaster character - the 1st level power especially is kind of dead space, becuase a sorcerer doing melee attacks is in it up to their chin... plus, we're on a boat, so, that should be uncommon enough.

Alternately, we could trade up - you the diplomancer fox-creature captain, and i'll gun for the gunner...  ;D

As a bonus to point 2, there, Kitsune get a racial bonus to acrobatics (+2), so she can be that little bit extra good at that.

And yeah, as far as point 3, I know the Oni Bloodline is a bit odd in terms of mechanics and strategy, but I selected it mostly for roleplay reasons, and I actually worked out something with Autocad that actually means the Oni bloodline bit is actually sort of important to her backstory, and potentially to what may happen during the roleplay. So, I'm going to try to work with it as well as I can.

Honestly, I don't have a super huge preference for what ship role she fits into, my idea so far as far as why she's flying about on ships is simply that she likes to wander and see the world... so... she's pretty content with any role as long as she's good at it, and she's able to fly. I picked gunner, but if she'd work better a captain I could as easily have her do that.

As a gunner, I think she's sort of the troublemaker of the group, free-spirited, playful and morally ambiguous (but not evil). Mysterious and alluring, though someone with little mind for diplomacy, preferring to either bullshit or intimidate her way out of a problem. She values her personal space, but isn't entirely anti-social or unfriendly. She'd be more the sort to try and... study and get to know the others, before getting friendly with any of them. Things that disappear around the ship have a tendency to show up in her quarters. Especially food.

As a captain, perhaps I'd see her a little more as... someone who's got her secrets, and values freedom, captaining a ship gives her that freedom. She loves to explore and see new places, living off whatever jobs she can find for her crew in sort of a... Mal Reynolds-esque kind of way. She doesn't like staying in one place too long or being tied down, so she prefers to get a job, do a job, restock the ship, and move on to the next location. Her playful spirit is present but subdued somewhat, and she's more responsible than her gunner counterpart, at least when it comes to the running of her ship.

Now, as far as the ability points go... I'd have to rework her inventory with that build, as her carrying capacity is already on the low side as it is. Also, I hate having odd-numbered scores... except Strength, since that factors directly into carrying capacity. I'm not saying its a bad build, just that having either Charisma or Dexterity at 17 would just make my eye twitch until I level enough to even it out xD

Chulanowa

Quote from: Florence on January 12, 2015, 02:41:36 AM
As a bonus to point 2, there, Kitsune get a racial bonus to acrobatics (+2), so she can be that little bit extra good at that.

Plus it's just good to have on a boat. in the air

QuoteAnd yeah, as far as point 3, I know the Oni Bloodline is a bit odd in terms of mechanics and strategy, but I selected it mostly for roleplay reasons, and I actually worked out something with Autocad that actually means the Oni bloodline bit is actually sort of important to her backstory, and potentially to what may happen during the roleplay. So, I'm going to try to work with it as well as I can.

I figured as much. Like I said, just my inner optimizer banging around.

Honestly, I don't have a super huge preference for what ship role she fits into, my idea so far as far as why she's flying about on ships is simply that she likes to wander and see the world... so... she's pretty content with any role as long as she's good at it, and she's able to fly. I picked gunner, but if she'd work better a captain I could as easily have her do that.

Quotein sort of a... Mal Reynolds-esque kind of way.

Mal... Why, why was I convinced his name was Ian?  :-X

Mebbe I'll go ahead and put together a gunner. Just in case.

QuoteNow, as far as the ability points go... I'd have to rework her inventory with that build, as he carrying capacity is already on the low side as it is. Also, I hate having odd-numbered scores... except Strength, since that factors directly into carrying capacity. I'm not saying its a bad build, just that having either Charisma or Dexterity at 17 would just make my eye twitch until I level enough to even it out xD

Well, your clothing / armor doesn't count towards max load when being worn, only when it's part of your load. The difference between 8 and 7 str is only three pounds, So, subtracting your clothing (er...) you'll be fine. Plus wit hthatt charisma, she can just flutter her eyelashes and some crew mook carries all her stuff. And a parasol for her.  ;D

Revelation

As far as build goes, I think I might go with a grenadier/bomber style alchemist, focusing on also making various debuffing bombs. Backup archer for when I don't want to throw bombs given their price, but I feel having blinding bombs, staggering bombs, stink bombs, and more will do quite nicely in changing the battlefield. Probably going grenadier, which means I would lose potion brewing as an innate ability.

TheGlyphstone

Clothing doesn't, but if it adds an armor bonus, it counts towards your weight,
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
If you want to determine whether your character's gear is heavy enough to slow him down more than his armor already does, total the weight of all the character's items, including armor, weapons, and gear.

But a sorceress wont be wearing armor anyways.

Chulanowa

Ahhh, must have been a combination if misreading and intuition. Silly weight rules, telling me a greatsword weighs eight pounds.... *Goes off on a nerd rant*

Florence

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 12, 2015, 03:14:18 AM
Ahhh, must have been a combination if misreading and intuition. Silly weight rules, telling me a greatsword weighs eight pounds.... *Goes off on a nerd rant*

Meta plot twist: We're all playing players in a planet wide LARP. All those weapons are made of foam.

Actually, funny enough, I just googled it and... the first page I found at any rate lists 8 lbs as the upper end of how much historical greatswords weighed.

Revelation

swords and most melee weapons weigh way less than what D&D says, some of the weights are kinda crazy.

Zaer Darkwail

Perhaps considering number of applicants besides the crew positions there could be extra slot? Wild card or such? Or able have two gunners as nothing prevents having more ranged firepower.