News:

Main Menu

Modern Warfare 2

Started by MagicalPen, November 12, 2009, 08:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

I picked it up for the PC last night and played through to the 'defend the house' part. Its visually very gratifying and has a great plot. Haven't tried the MP aspect of it yet, but I am a little peeved at the game. The levels aren't anything new...they're just the levels from previous incarnations of COD, just changed to fit the location. I constantly battle the feeling of "I have done this before" on a map.

For instance, assaulting the White House brings to memories Assaulting the Reichstag and the Pavlov (I believe) map...where you assault the building in Stalingrad. The sniping mission is just a regurgitation of the one from Modern Warfare 1, just with snow instead of long, grassy fields. The mission I am on now reminds me of a very similar map from MW1 too, where you take control of a house and then have to defend it from counter attacks until the time-counter runs out and you can leave.

Ironically, the only 'new feel' map was the Airport one. So yes, I am a bit disappointed in the game. The content doesn't seem all that new, and the AI is far from Improved.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Callie Del Noire

I played the campaign though the first night.. NASTY twists.. but I thought it was shorter than the first Modern Warefare.. but I also played the MP.

I see that there is still the 'can't miss any shot' crowd out there. Some of the Percentages in MP for some players seemed astonishingly high. Of course the fact was I was surprised by how much fun it was to do some stuff though.

They give the 'so so' players like me a way of breaking chains and the extra xp for breaking a spree was fun. I HATE the overhead drone bit. seemed to me to make it REALLY easy to kill lots of folks with a UAV firing air to ground missles or the overhead c130 gunning every person in the open.

Adonis

I absolutely *love* MW2, have it for the ps3. As for those little UAV's, did you know you *are* able spot them, and shoot them down without missles? Takes about a clip from your primary, but I loooove hearing people scream into the bluetooth's about me shooting them down all the time lol
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

MagicalPen

Well, the PS3 version obviously wouldn't have changed much, since its not possible for Dedicated Servers etc on a console. PC Gaming is all about the Dedicated Servers (and the occasional mods/tweaks they run) so IW really screwed over the PC Gamer with the latest version of COD. I'd rather find a decent server and play with 30+ people, get to know some new people, have a good time then this random allotment of playing with 12 people.

Last night, for instance, there were three assclowns on the 'server' I was on. They were being extremely annoying, making loud noises, cursing like a sailor, and things only got worse when some 9 year old came on and tried talking smack too. Normally, this would be the point where we'd "KICK" the annoying players from the server. Oh wait, whats that? There is no admin anymore? You can't even VOTE-TO-KICK some one! Makes the game horrible on the audio side.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Eeyore on November 25, 2009, 06:31:57 AM

Last night, for instance, there were three assclowns on the 'server' I was on. They were being extremely annoying, making loud noises, cursing like a sailor, and things only got worse when some 9 year old came on and tried talking smack too. Normally, this would be the point where we'd "KICK" the annoying players from the server. Oh wait, whats that? There is no admin anymore? You can't even VOTE-TO-KICK some one! Makes the game horrible on the audio side.

AS a ex-sailor I resent that remark. I don't cuss anything like those 9 year olds (assuming the PS3 guys are like the yutz's on Xbox Live).

MagicalPen

I'm talking about the PC version....most people don't have headsets for the PC games so its better, and me and my clan mates use either STEAM or XFIRE for voicechat, but pressing 'z' in the lobby (at least) allows you to voice chat with everyone. They were being loud and obnoxious (and they weren't 9, that kid came later...his name was 'skaterboy' or something lame).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Brandon

I rented it last night to give the game a chance and as I expected while the gunplay and levels are fun the story and realism was at best questionable and at worst utter crap. For me to call a game good it has to meld story and enjoyable gameplay. If a games story sucks but the gameplay is fun then it cant be anymore then an average game and thats what Modern warfare 2 is to me, just an average gun wank. Like many other FPS games its a game made for multiplayer though so Im not sure what Im supposed to expect. People are going pay $50 for the game and claim its some kind of holy visitation just because of Multiplayer features and as a consequence the solo play and story always suffers.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Jooo

The amount of hype for this really annoyed me when it because obvious that it was basically MW1 with a few minor changes.  I will probably rent it at some point when there is no other games i'm interested in.

Arander

I am a little annoyed that I wasted $60 on this for the 360. It's a fun game, and the single player campaign is extremely well written with amazing plot twists, but there really wasn't much different from the 1st came to keep me playing. MP is fun for awhile, but it does start to get old and boring after a bit. For the 360 at least, not being able to stay in party chat with your friends is an annoying change. But the game really ends up being almost the same style that we've all been playing for the past  2 years with MW1. I may need to throw it up on craigslist and try out Dragon Age instead.
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

On's & Off's