Need help constructing a simple dice system for a game.

Started by NileGoddess, September 23, 2014, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NileGoddess

A while ago, I had attempted a system-based superhero game, and it's something I'd like to try again, only have it be much simpler.

I've looked a bit into the FUDGE system and think I need something base, simple, and flexible like that, but I'm still having trouble of how it could be implemented.

My idea is for players to create characters and give them a set of stats, say strength, charisma, and dexterity. They can use this to battle other characters, NPCs, or pass checks in a scene (ie, a person with high charisma would have a better chance at giving a good speech). Rolls would determine what needs to happen, and players will write how it happens.

Problem is, simplistic systems I've seen in the past seem to be borderline pointless or prone to subtle manipulation. And I know nothing about stats...so for example, if I were to make an arbitrary environmental check which a character needs to roll to get past, I don't know if I'd set the criteria too high, or too low, to be effective.

So I'm open to any takers, or anyone who has advice.

Dovel

Hello NileGoddess,

In a game I've been playing in with some friends we use a 100 Die system. The GM would roll 1d100. That would be the environmental check, enemy attack, etc.

Then the player would roll a 1d100 and add a bonus from stats if needed. Dexterity for example if trying to avoid a trap. Its a very simple system that allows for fast play, and give the players the chance to write what happens.

An example would be:

GM describes the scene and that a trap had been tripped. GM rolls a 1d100 and gets a 47.

Player then rolls 1d100 and gets a 70 + 18 Dex. The player did not get hurt by the trap. Now the player can write how her character reacted.

Simple system. And it allows for more RP and less dice mechanics.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

NileGoddess

Hm, interesting...I think that's in line with what I'm thinking.

So what would determine the character's stats in the first place? Ie, how do you guarantee that a character's stats in the d100 setup will never always win?

Dovel

For that game we did our stats using a 3d6 method. Each character gets a basic stat when created by rolling 3d6. The max a player could have would be 18.

That seems a good range for a 1d100 system. It doesn't add too much of a modifier but also makes the rolls interesting during an event. You may also add some extra rolls using the same system. If you want to see who will act first, the players or the event. Everyone rolls a 1d100 and the highest value goes first.

This is a very simple system and it is more for players who are interested in writing out the actions rather than winning a goal. Fast paced so no one gets bored waiting for lots of dice to be rolled and figured out.
Now we live, tomorrow not
Enjoy your pleasures, lest they rot
Let not them pass this very day
For on the morrow regret may with you stay

NileGoddess

Okay, I think I like that idea. Can it be applied to multiple stats? Just have players roll the 3d6 three times for different stats each? Or is there a better way to balance that (ie, so a player doesn't randomly roll three 18s for maxed stats).

Ebb

There's a neat little system called "Otherkind Dice" that's described on this page:
http://www.lumpley.com/archive/148.html

Basically the idea is this:

Whenever someone is trying to do something which isn't an automatic success, the GM can call for a roll.

The player has to say three things:
- What they're trying to accomplish. ("Get through the trap-filled corridor", "Knock out Doctor Z", "Rescue the kitten from the burning building")
- Plus, two things that the character is risking by doing this. ("I get skewered by traps", "I lose my favorite sword", "Doctor Z imprisons me", "My secret identity is revealed")

The player then rolls 3 dice (normal six-sided dice). High numbers are good, low numbers are bad. They then have to assign these dice to the three things, which determines whether or not they succeed, and what it costs them.

Example:
Captain Fantastic sees that his girlfriend, Penny Petticoat, is being held in one of Doctor Z's deathtraps.
The player says:
1) I am trying to get Penny out of the deathtrap by melting the steel bars with my heat vision
2) But... Doctor Z's goons might rough me up pretty badly,
3) And... Doctor Z might use this as a distraction to escape in his Ultrabot.

They roll... 1, 3, 6. So they decide that:
6 -- I rescue Penny, melting the steel easily and catching her in midair. I look like a champ.
But 3 -- I have to fight a lot of goons first, and I take a couple of shots. I'm hurt. (3 is low, but not terrible.)
And 1 -- Doctor Z makes a clean getaway. I can't even tell which direction he went. (1 is very bad.)

Or they assign the numbers differently, for a different result, and then write the story in that direction instead.

Note that there are no stats for characters in this system -- everybody is the same from that perspective. Your stats and abilities come into it when you write the different possibilities. If someone is described in the character writeup as being super-strong, then it's okay to say that your goal is to bend the steel bars and rescue your girlfriend. But if not, then the GM can/should step in and say "Hmmm. That doesn't seem to fit your character. Can you think of a different way to try that?"

I've tried this system in live games and it's worked well. I'm a little hesitant to recommend it for a forum game, as it works best with a little bit of back-and-forth discussion to make sure everyone's on the same wavelength, and that could slow things up. But figured I'd throw it out there in case it's of use to anyone.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Ebb on September 24, 2014, 04:42:39 PMI've tried this system in live games and it's worked well. I'm a little hesitant to recommend it for a forum game, as it works best with a little bit of back-and-forth discussion to make sure everyone's on the same wavelength, and that could slow things up. But figured I'd throw it out there in case it's of use to anyone.
It sounds like a neat little system that I might try myself in a life game, but how do you handle the actions of the "bad guys"? Does Doctor Z (through the Narrator/GM) get to say "I want to vaporize Captain Fantastic with my disintegrator beam, but I could drop the key to the Ultrabot while I draw my gun or the gun could blow up in my face"? If that were the case and the Narrator rolled well enough for Doctor Z, Captain Fantastic could be toast in an instant and it would be game-over for the good Captain.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ebb

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on September 25, 2014, 05:24:53 AM
It sounds like a neat little system that I might try myself in a life game, but how do you handle the actions of the "bad guys"? Does Doctor Z (through the Narrator/GM) get to say "I want to vaporize Captain Fantastic with my disintegrator beam, but I could drop the key to the Ultrabot while I draw my gun or the gun could blow up in my face"? If that were the case and the Narrator rolled well enough for Doctor Z, Captain Fantastic could be toast in an instant and it would be game-over for the good Captain.

I'd probably only use the die rolls for PC actions, running the GM side by fiat. But it's a good question. A lot of these system-light games break down if you push them too far, so everybody has to kind of make an agreement to stay in the safe zone.