Sci-Fi, Free Form, World Creation [VAN]

Started by Lotherio, January 05, 2009, 09:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotherio

Ok, here I am, all shiny and new … I’m desperately craving some storytelling RP and hopefully this gets me there.

I am interested in 6 to 8 players who enjoy storytelling and world creation. 

Exploration of the setting itself would be the key to this concept.  It will be a unique world and it will be mostly undefined at the onset.  As we each bring a new story/interaction to the table we will each add/reveal an element of the world as we move along.

The low-down on the concept is that it is, indeed a free-form, creative, Science Fiction based role-play story stemming off a concept from my introduction thread (this piece specifically).  The intro piece was based off of a writing prompt that most introduction threads see (a guy in a bar sits down and says ‘the truth is ...’). 

The main focus of the RP should be interaction between and development of our characters, but a small portion of each scene should introduce something new for the setting itself; information about the universe, another planet, prominent individuals, some history, specific ship/corporations/entities, whatever.  These are two big things I enjoy in storytelling, character development through story and developing the setting for the story itself.

The universe itself should be something like a cold war environment (about as much as my little post added to the setting).  It would be interesting if we all played low level ‘spies’ of individual galactic super powers (spies in small quotes because I merely mean espionage campaign character concepts).  We won’t be tied into these powers (or any galactic level super power) so that we don’t form any attachment to them because this could break the world creation concept (and suck the fun out of it for other players).  Though, starting within the existing galactic super powers can help us to start defining the universe we are creating.

I am interested in an even number of players so that we can break off into pairings of two in order to create stories in the universe around our characters.  We could set up a time limit for encounters so that we have X amount of time (days/weeks) to create a story/encounter and after that we sort of mix up the pairings.  For the record, I’m more of the mindset of using weekly time measurements because I would prefer a post every day or two per player at the fastes.  I would also ask that other players adhere to this turnaround time on posting so that we all keep on par with each other for story development.  After each scene/encounter, we would mix up the mix so to speak, changing up the RP partners within this setting.

A good way to start this off might be for 1/2 the group to do an introductory encounter set-up post (ie initiate a scene) and the other half to pick and choose one of those to reply to.  Within the time limit we develop those encounters and then we switch up for new scenes after the time limit.  The other 1/2 of the group then gets to create a setting/encounter/scene of their own for the next round of scenes, and it continues like this.

I just want to see if there is any interest in this first and then, interest pending, we can proceed in seeing about setting up characters and getting this concept off the ground.  And for the record, I’m interested in writing out characters and bringing in new characters from time to time if we tire of character concept – the ultimate goal is probably creating an interesting setting and running intriguing encounters within that setting that we are creating.

Erebus

This idea of yours sounds very amusing.

I am willing to participate in this game, if you don't mind my rather average English and my lack of experience in RPing.
My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

StarkDublin

hmm, sounds great, I would love to join in your rp.
It takes armies to control the world...And one man to make it all fall...Am I that man...

Ons and Offs

Lotherio

I wanted to say thanks for the interest but I don't think this one will fly at the moment, I'm getting a large commitement to other RPs and don't want to overwhelm myself.

I might try again later, I am a fan of the join world creation/collaboration.

Erebus

That's fine be me mate.
Actually i appreciate telling us.

Keep it mind though for the future, 'cause it's quite interesting.

Cheers!!!
My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison