Race:  Human
Class:  Swordmage

Melee Combat Effectiveness:  12
Ranged Combat Effectiveness: 1
Magical Combat Effectiveness: 11
Healing Effectiveness: 3

Appearance: Rianna Pic

Exceptional Strengths:

Sword Bond - Rianna's training has created a bond with her ancestral sword.  She always knows where it is (or the general direction if it's more than a mile away), and she is capable of summoning it into her hand.  The summoning works from any range as long as it is not in possession of someone else or otherwise contained.  In addition, rather than using a staff or wand to aid in her casting, her sword doubles as her implement granting her the ability to use flourishes as somatic components for the spells she casts.  At the beginning of any battle where she has the opportunity, she will perform a flourish to activate her defenses as part of a ceremonial opening.

Swordmage Style - Rianna is extraordinarily skilled at combining her arcane abilities with her martial style.  She can combine spells into viciously damaging strikes with her weapon causing her to be extremely dangerous and intimidating in battle.

Merciless Blade - Rianna's sword is made from an ancient process and imbued with the blood of her ancestors.  Her sword is harder to break and far more capable at breaking other weapons than should be possible.

Emergency Energy Storage - In the event that she has expended all her mana and must continue the use of her magical defenses, she can activate a gem that she has previously charged with energy to grant her another minute to 10 minutes (depending on the quality of the gem).  These gems are extremely expensive and are destroyed in the process of releasing the energy.

In addition to the above strengths, she has an advanced understanding of most magic and whether she can cast a spell or not can usually identify what spell is being cast, or what spell is needed to counter. 

Notable Weaknesses:

Sword Bond Reliant - Rianna's ability is heightened when using her own sword, a sword that she has spent countless hours attuning herself to.  Without her specific sword she has difficulty imbuing her spells into her weapons reducing her Magic effectiveness by 3 for combat.  Her knowledge of it does not change.

Magic Reliant - In the first 10 seconds of battle, Rianna must charge up her defenses.  To walk around in her combat spells all the time would be incredibly fatiguing and detrimental to any social situation.  Her melee abilities are assumed to be reduced by 2 for the first 10 seconds of any combat.  In situations where she is unable to cast spells to improve her reflexes and increase her damage, Rianna's Melee effectiveness is reduced by 6.  In addition, when in combat, Rianna uses speed enhancing spells causing her body to move faster than she can think. This may cause her to attack an ally if they startle her.  Not quite a bloodlust or rage, it is more of haste-like effect that gives her her blinding speeds.

Honor Code - Rianna's teachings require a strict honor code which she must follow.  Among the rules are eschewing ranged combat, never attacking a civilian, never attacking an unaware opponent, etc..  Though there are no actual ill effects for breaking her honor code, Rianna is so dependent on it that she would have very strong feelings of depression if she did.

Armor Restrictions - Rianna wears very little armor to allow for the magic ever-present in the world to seep in through her skin.  For battles that persist for long durations she must lower her magical armor for a period to recharge her magical energy.  During this time, though no physical change is apparent (without magical detection) she is extremely vulnerable.  It takes approximately 10 minutes to expend her maximum storage, and a minute for minute recovery time to recharge. If she is fighting against droves of trivial enemies, she may forgoe the use of some of her abilities and extend her basic mana usage across 30 minutes.  Even if her mana is restored, this does not mean that she can fight unfatigued;  she gets tired just like anyone else would.

In addition to the above weaknesses, despite her in-depth knowledge of magic, her spell repitoire is rather lacking.  She can cast most simple spells that would qualify her as a magician, but the majority of her spells serve to improve her skill as a melee fighter.  Any ranged spells she should be able to cast are instead channelled into her sword strikes.  She is not very charismatic, but when in battle can be downright horrifying to behold.

Skills: Rianna is skilled at climb, jump, swim, spellcraft, knowledge arcana, knowledge nobility, decipher script, and concentration. Though she is not trained in intimidation she gains a circumstance bonus against those who have witnessed her in battle.

Special Abilities:

Aeres Relinsa (Mana Advantage) - A rare ability among the people of her land is the ability for magicians to siphon mana from the very air around them.  When a child is determined to have this gift, they are immediately sent to the Academy to hone their Arcane skills and to ingrain an honor code in them early.  The honor code is to protect the people from the sheer villainy that can result from magicians that abuse this power.  Those with an aptitude for martial arts are trained to become Arcane Champions, swordmages with a fearsome reputation.

Background: Rianna was born of the daughter of a lesser noble family and an exceptional fighter who won the right to her mother's hand. The noble family was known as researchers of the arcane, so it was not strange for Rianna to have access to magic at a young age.  She was only six when she was discovered to have Aeres Relinsa.  She spent one more week with her family before being sent to the academy.  She was one of the youngest students and spent her years perfecting the arts.  Seeing as how she remembers very little of her life before the Academy, her honor code is deeply ingrained her, and she has never broken her code.

Niki315

By the way Bloodied Porcelain, I'm totally borrowing your post layout.  I really like it. 

If anyone noticed a random post that was quickly deleted, that was me attempting to preview my post and accidentally hitting post... Sorry! >.<

Also, sorry for the retardedly long starting post.  I kind of wanted to get something going for myself so I would want to keep playing ^^()

arkhos

I don't know about the others, but I much prefer "retardedly long" starting posts to short ones. Very nicely done!

Welcome aboard! :)

-Ark/Nemea
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Dariusfallenstar

Given that we've got 3 fighter-types now, I'm strongly leaning toward only allowing a spell-casting focused character next. Diversity is best.

Siereis

Well I am certainly interested in joining up in this all!  I'd definitely love to play a healer or priestess or something.  My only concern is it sounds like you all have mostly female characters in the game.  Mind if I ask if there is room for one more or would you prefer a male?

In any case..reading through what you have already RPed...it looks fun!

Dariusfallenstar

Quote from: Siereis on August 26, 2012, 09:11:41 PM
Well I am certainly interested in joining up in this all!  I'd definitely love to play a healer or priestess or something.  My only concern is it sounds like you all have mostly female characters in the game.  Mind if I ask if there is room for one more or would you prefer a male?

In any case..reading through what you have already RPed...it looks fun!

Siereis,

Thank you for your interest. I and another of the group's players have looked over your posts and we both feel that you have the ability to write up to the group's standards. Holly is currently playing a Druid with healing ability - how would you feel about playing a character that is able to heal but focuses on other magical avenues? As far as your other concern, I'd be willing to let you come in, though that *would* skew the ratio to a slightly female-heavy game. Since we still haven't gotten any major plot underway while people try out joining and figure out the type of game I'm running, I don't think this would be a big deal: I'd just keep an opening for another guy up. You'd probably be the last female character I'd allow for now though.

Feel free to contact me via instant messenger and we can discuss further details, if you're still interested and willing to tweak your idea a bit.

Niki315

I think I'd like to mention that I've decided the little wings in the picture of my character probably aren't actually going to be be a part of the headband she wears.  I'm not going to describe her having them, but the absence of a description might not accurately affect the image.  I am describing my character as having a headband, just not one with foot long wings protruding from it and I didn't want to say something in character explaining how she doesn't have wings since that didn't really make sense in my mind.  Sorry to post on something so trivial, but it's kind of important that I bring this up.  I like the picture, I just don't like including the goofy wings.

And now I would like to take the time to thank everyone who has welcomed me warmly to this rp.  I hope to be able to keep up with everyone and add something special to the place.  Thanks!

Dariusfallenstar

Foot long wings sprouting from her headband might be a bit silly. :)

Nothing wrong with some good humor though.

Dariusfallenstar

Siereis has decided not to join.

Siereis, thanks for your interest anyway.

We've still got openings.

Dariusfallenstar

Game Closure Notice

I've been contacted by two players with concerns that they are uncertain how to continue posting or fit in. This, in tandem with the fact that my schedule is growing increasingly tight, too tight to recruit new players or introduce reasons for reluctant players to adventure in the current group, has led me to decide to end this campaign.

For those of you who were regular posters and truly enjoyed playing, I'm sorry. Perhaps I'll try this again in the future.