News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

*facepalm* Sony has been hacked...again.

Started by Wolfy, June 03, 2011, 09:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

I mean really, first the PSN, now this?...Wow...Sony's losing any credibility they ever had. :/

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Wolfy on June 03, 2011, 09:22:12 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13636704

I mean really, first the PSN, now this?...Wow...Sony's losing any credibility they ever had. :/
Wow.. definitely something weird going on.

Inkidu

Well, I think the gaming branch of Sony isn't going to survive. Two hacks in such a short time is going to scare some people off.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Except the recent breach was to Sonypictures, not the gaming branch at all.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on June 03, 2011, 02:57:33 PM
Except the recent breach was to Sonypictures, not the gaming branch at all.
Yeah, but since when has mass hysteria ever had grounding in reality. What people are going to see is "Sony got hacked again" not really where or why. They'll immediately link it to the game branch and write it off.

Now, maybe going out of business is the worst-case scenario, but they're going to hit the canvas on this one definitely.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Brandon

The average person will think of it all as Sony and nothing else. Thus loosing customer faith, which is a shame.

However I dont think they will loose nearly as much faith as how they handled the first hack
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 03:01:23 PM
The average person will think of it all as Sony and nothing else. Thus loosing customer faith, which is a shame.

However I dont think they will loose nearly as much faith as how they handled the first hack

I wonder who is making bank on these events.

HairyHeretic

I think Sony lost a lot more credibility with their rootkit thing than the hack.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Xanatos

I certainly was pissed over ANY rootkits, regardless of who did it. The very fact that ANYONE was putting that crap on my machine... -glares- I still play comp games, but now I won't do it until I have a machine I don't care one way or another if it gets jacked. Hypocritical, I know, but why bother complaining when their is zero that can be done about it. Might as well get some enjoyment out of the games; I can at least get some satisfaction in knowing that they are not screwing me over, as I will have a second comp for my other stuff. Where I can burn DVD's to my hearts content, legal or otherwise (cause rootkits don't discriminate between legal or illegal uses of a burner) -shakes fist at them-.

As for Sony, I am sad, very sad. I always hoped they could remain in contention with Microsoft. I disdain Microsoft and their underhandedness. Regardless of whether they make good stuff, I REALLY want the day to come when someone can smack them upside the head and teach them a lesson. Alas, it won't come anytime soon.

This hack, as others have mentioned, is likely to be their end, at least in the gaming industry and perhaps the company. Millions of people have lost their account information to this hacker(s). Its nothing short of a travesty that Sony couldn't do more to prevent it, but then again it does bring to light a scary fact. Hackers can do just about anything they want too. The internet is not even remotely within the same galaxy, as safe as a physical location.

As I understand it, identity theft was rare and mostly unheard of until the internet. Now identity theft is almost an epidemic (if I am not putting too heavily). It just goes to show how truly insecure the internet is.

Oniya

Epidemic is probably not an overstatement.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Brandon

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 03, 2011, 03:05:31 PM
I wonder who is making bank on these events.

*raises hand* Im not ashamed to admit that I waited till the stock plummeted and then bought some. When I sold it I made my money back plus a nice bit of profit I can put away in a retirement fund.  ;D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play