Cluedo (revisited) - Interest check - I still need one more male player please?

Started by Chrystal, April 29, 2011, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

I tried to start this game once before and it didn't get going for one reason or another.

This is going to be a murder mystery (as the name suggests).

I will be GM-ing the game, but I will also be playing the victim.

Yes, you read that correctly. A few pages into the RP, one of the other players will bump me off.

Now the general idea is that only myself and the murderer know which player/character is the killer! There will probably be a whole host of other NPCs too, which I will control, and the killer will be at liberty to kill them too - and also any player characters who's players drop out.

And it will be a mystery in the classic Agatha Christie genre.

There will be a famous detective present at the venue where the murder(s) take place.

Every character except the victim and the detective will be a suspect, although obviously the NPCs will be quickly eliminated from the investigation.

Now, last time I tried this one, I wasn't specific enough, so this time I'm going to be a little more specific.

My character is going to be a middle-aged but very attractive heiress, a business woman who is ruthless in the extreme, and is also a lesbian, but is something of a teaser towards men - she flirts with them, and then lets them down with a bump.

The setting is going to be a ski lodge in the Swiss Alps, which is cut off by a blizzard. (Not, as my spell-checker suggested, a lizard!)

The characters I need are:

Detective (Just happens to be there - although where-ever he/she goes on holiday people always end up getting murdered) Pocketwatch
Lesbian lover (There with my character) MarylinCary
Kid Brother (Turns up just before the blizzard hits with bad news) Xantham
Former Business Partner (Just happened to be on holiday in the same hotel)
Former business partner's partner (There with his/her partner)
Business Rival (Is there when my character arrives - to be gloated at) Wretched
Business Rival's partner (There with his/her partner)
Former lesbian Lover (was dumped - just happens to be in the same hotel) Elfguy
Former husband of current lover (turned up with the intention of getting his ex wife back)
Hotel staff. Pleiades

Other characters: Skier who blames victim for her brother's death - just happened to be there. Kristine

Now, the only one of those characters that is essential to the plot is the detective, but I need at least 3 suspects to make it work.

Feel free to come up with alternative characters. The more the merrier!

IMPORTANT: Your character must have a motive to kill mine! (except the detective).

Now, when thinking about your motive, think of this question: "Would I find that to be sufficient reason to kill someone?"

If the answer is "No", then think again.
If the answer is "Maybe" then it is probably good enough.
If the answer is "Yes", you probably ought to get some help, but in the mean time, welcome aboard.

The pre-defined characters above all have a perfectly good reason to kill my character built in, with the possible exception of the current lover, but then it should be easy enough to think up a "crime of passion" motive.

The method of murder (In the library with the candlestick) can be worked out between myself and the murderer at the time, by PM.

If I get more than one person interested in being the detective, I WILL select based on how good I think that player will be, and not on "First-come-first-served".

The killer, I will select and inform by PM once all character sheets are in. The selection will be made by a combination of one or more of the following: How good a motive you come up with, how good your posts are in your other RPs, random dice roll, personal whim of the GM! In other words, I haven't decided yet how I will choose, and further more I'm not going to tell you how I will choose, but the better the character you come up with, the more chance you have of being chosen if I decide to use that as a criterion.

There will be plenty of time for player interaction, both before and after the body is discovered. In fact, if you wish, you can have your motive to murder my character only appear during the interaction. For example, a member of the hotel staff might get fired because of my character and decide to take revenge.

The game will, of necessity go in N/C, because my character is going to be brutally murdered and that is not something she can give consent for. I'm wondering if it should go in extreme, but I'd rather leave it in N/C if possible. However, remember that Non-Consent applies to the character not the player!

One last thing:

Only you and I need to know your motive for the murder, unless it is glaringly obvious, but if it is glaringly obvious, then it should be obvious from the character's bio. Note that a glaringly obvious motive is not likely to get you selected as the killer, as I want to make things interesting for the detective!

However, that means that ONLY I can post character sheets.

PLEASE DO NOT POST A CHARACTER SHEET HERE!

PM them to me, please.

Suspect Character Profile Sheet:

Player name:
Character Name:
Character Gender:
Character Age:
Character Nationality:
Character sexuality: (Straight/Bi/Gay & Dom(me)/Switch/Sub)
Relationship to Victim:
Personality: Doesn't have to be too details, just a line or two, so I know you've thought about it!
History: (Including the reason you are at the ski lodge)
Motive For Murder: (will be edited out before I post character profiles)
Appearance: PICTURE PLEASE!
Pic base used: (The real name of the person in your pic if you know it?)

[b]Player name:[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Gender:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Nationality:[/b]
[b]Character sexuality:[/b]
[b]Relationship to Victim:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Motive For Murder:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[img height=400]http://www.vaog.net/WoV/Images/GenericWoman2.jpg[/img]
[b]Pic base used:[/b]

The detective character profile sheet:

Player name:
Character Name:
Character Gender:
Character Age:
Character Nationality:
Character sexuality: (Straight/Bi/Gay & Dom(me)/Switch/Sub)
Police force and Rank (or PI): (If in a police force, or PI if Private Investigator)
Famous cases solved: (Make a few up... it might help me decide in the event of multiple candidates)
Personality: Doesn't have to be too details, just a line or two, so I know you've thought about it!
History: (Including the reason you are at the ski lodge)
Appearance: PICTURE PLEASE!
Pic base used: (The real name of the person in your pic if you know it?)

[b]Player name:[/b]
[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Character Gender:[/b]
[b]Character Age:[/b]
[b]Character Nationality:[/b]
[b]Character sexuality:[/b]
[b]Police force and Rank (or PI):[/b]
[b]Famous cases solved:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]History:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[img height=400]http://www.vaog.net/WoV/Images/GenericWoman2.jpg[/img]
[b]Pic base used:[/b]

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Kristine

Very interesting.
I'll PM you my character sheet if I may.
I am new to this site though, so you might consider leaving me out of play. Just to let you know, it's perfectly ok and I will understand

Chrystal

Hi, Andy and Kristine.

Also hi to Pleiades.

Kristine and Pleiades, welcome to E and congratulations on your approval.

Thanks to Pleia for pointing out that I had Gender in the profile twice. Change the second one to Nationality...

Pleia, you character is French, I got that. Kris, is yours German, Austrian or Swiss? Not that it matters, but I'd like to know...

I think I forgot to say that this game is sort of a competition The general idea is for the detective to try and figure out what everyone's motive fort the murder was and then (obviously) figure out who did it... Now, if the detective gets it right, then he/she wins. If the detective gets it wrong then the murderer wins... But the other suspects have an important part to play.

Each suspect should, of course, be protesting their innocence, but equally should be attempting to deceive the detective into thinking it might be someone else... I will be doing GM posts pointing up clues that may or may not be obvious, and probably using the dice roller to determine if anyone finds them...

It is, of course, perfectly acceptable for the suspects to conduct their own little investigations...

And I guess that there is one character profile that belongs here... Mine!

Player name: Chrystal
Character Name: China Blacklock
Character Gender: Female
Character Age: 36
Character Nationality: British
Character sexuality: Gay
Relationship to Victim: Victim
Personality: Prize Bitch. China Blacklock is ruthless, heartless, some might even say soulless. She has no qualms about stepping on people to get what she wants. She is very much a dominant, and very much into bondage. She enjoys inflicting pain and suffering on anyone she perceives as weak.
History: China Blacklock is a very successful business woman. She started out in school, running her own business as a school project. By the end of the school year she had made £10,000. Needless to say, she passed the Business Studies course. She had made her first million at age 25. Her parents were seriously proud of her, but disappointed at the same time, because it soon became apparent that China was totally selfish, cared nothing for anyone else, and was not worried about who she stepped on as she climbed the ladder of success.

She is at this particular ski lodge in the Alps, partly to enjoy some skiing, but mostly to enjoy her favourite pass time, humiliating one of her business rivals.
Motive For Murder: N/A
Appearance:

Pic base used: Julianne Moore

So far I have two Suspect character profiles.

I am amending the first post to include a character profile for the detective...

PLEASE NOTE: Without a detective, there is no point whatever.

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Kristine

Thanks for welcoming Chrystal :)
And to answer your question, my character would be German

Sergeant

I am very much interested in this.
I have not, however, roleplayed on this site before so after PM'ing my character sheet to you and you find it insufficient, I completely understand.

It also has been a while since I RP'ed anyway.
Please wait for my character description.

Chrystal

Quote from: PocketWatch on May 01, 2011, 03:04:55 PM
I am very much interested in this.
I have not, however, roleplayed on this site before so after PM'ing my character sheet to you and you find it insufficient, I completely understand.

It also has been a while since I RP'ed anyway.
Please wait for my character description.

Of course, dear. I'm a fairly easy-going GM, the only thing I will insist on is that your motive for murder be something genuine! Or where you thinking of being the Detective? If so, then you are more than welcome to attempt to parody that other famous Belgian!

By the way, if anyone wishes to try for the role of detective, they might be wise to put up a suspect character as well, in case I pick someone else...

Chrystal

Two things which are important:

1) I may not have been completely clear on this: The game starts with China very much alive. She will be found dead at some point during the role play, at a time and place to be determined between myself and the murderer.

2) I have received a request from a male player to play a female character.

Now, I know that some people have a problem with this. Personally I am willing to give everyone the opportunity to play whatever character they feel most comfortable in, provided they are not doing it for the sole purpose of getting into my (or someone else's) pants! However, if it comes to a choice between asking players to stick to their own gender, and loosing players who prefer people to do so, I will obviously go with the former.

So, I would ask everyone who has already posted here, and anyone else expressing an interest, to state whether they have any sort of problem with cross-gender players. I'm not asking you to say what that problem is, just a simple "Id rather they didn't" or "No problem at all" is good enough.

Please note that if just one person states they would rather have people play their own gender, then that becomes the rule, unless that person then decides not to play.

Kristine

I have no problem with males playing females or vice-versa at all.

I just hope that not all characters of the story will be same gender :)

Sergeant

Thanks!
I was going for the role of the detective, but once I have finished that I will make one for a side character also. In case of more people trying out for the detective, like you said.
Who is this famous Belgian you're speaking of? Now I am intrigued, hehe.

I also have no problem with male playing a female.

My character will be male.

Chrystal

You've never heard of Hercule Poirot? Agatha Christie's most famous creation!

I did say that I will not be picking the detective on a first-come basis. The reason I specifically said this is that it is the key role and if that player drops out, the game is effectively dead.

Now, I was involved in a RP a while back where there was a very key role that the GM gave to the first player to ask for it. That player then dropped out and instead of giving the role to the "next in line" the GM gave it to a player who was better suited for the role.

The player who was bypassed got all upset and was largely responsible (in my opinion) for the game failing!

So, just to make it clear: If no one else comes along and says they want the job, then yes you get it. If someone asks for it who has been here a bit longer, then I will choose based on the quality of the profile. If someone asks for it who has been around a lot longer, they are more likely to get the job...

I hate letting people down, but sometimes it's part of being GM!

Kristine

I hope this one won't die, as it is very interesting idea

Chrystal

I think it's looking rather still-born at the moment.

I'm still waiting for some people to PM me character sheets who have expressed an interest here. This, btw is what happened last time. Lots of people saying "Oh, great idea" and only a few people actually doing anything about it.

I need a MINUMUM of six players including myself, or there is frankly no point. And one of them has to be the detective!

Sergeant

Never read much of Agatha Christie and dare to say I had never heard of Hercule Poirot before.
Though the Wikipedia article about him seems very interesting.

It would be fun to roleplay someone of that kind. Let me ponder on it.

I completely understand of not giving it to the person who asked first, it would be close to ridiculous.

And excuse me for my absence and lack of character sheet but I had some familial issues involving clinics and I have to say my time was filled.
I'll try to work up a decent sheet tonight.

Kristine

Yeah Chrystal, it's hard to roleplay this kind of six without proper cast  :-\

PocketWatch: I recommend you just two novels for the start. "And Then There Were None" and "Murder on the Orient Express" - Both by Agatha Christie. In second you'll meet Poirot, but both of this novels are extremely interesting and will hook you immediately.

Chrystal

First off, this is my 5,999th post!

I did a sort of minor celebration when I got to 5,000. Next one will be 6,000!

Yeah, Pleiades, who is interested in spite of apparently being too shy to post here (I love shy submissives... and her character is just EDIBLE!) offered some advice.

This RP may take a while to get going and will need to be repeatedly "bumped" in order to gather the people we need... So may I respectfully ask that everyone chat here about murder mysteries you have read or watched, famous detectives you have encountered in fact or fiction, murders you have committed, etc...

(Wait, what? Uh, okay, maybe not the last one).

In that way we keep the thread active without just typing "BUMP", which will get us told off by staff...

My personal favourite Poirot film is "Evil Under The Sun". It has such a great cast of characters, trapped on a Greek island. And such wonderful clues... "A bottle no body threw, a bath nobody took..." Although my absolute favourite Poirot line is from Orient Express. "Zere are too many Clu-ues in zees roo-oom!"

Other great detectives - I only suggested Poirot because of the shared nationality with Pocketwatch - there was a TV series in the 1970s and early 80s in the UK called Bergerac, which was set on the island of Jersey. It starred John Nettles who later went on to star in a sort of detective spoof series called "Midsommer Murders", where every week someone different was murdered in a tiny little English Village...

Of course there are the classics: Holmes is a bit dated for this RP's time period, but there is always Colombo. Or the modern day equivalent, Adrian Monk.

Sergeant

Finally! I managed to send you my character sheet!
Again, sorry if it seems rushed, once the story is ongoing my real capacities will shine through. (ahahah.. ho boy)

I got two books from Agatha Christie from the library today, and am now reading Black Coffee (I'm not sure if it's the same title in English, I'm just translating the best as I can) I couldn't find 'Muderd on the orient express' which is too bad since I wanted to read the beginning of his appearances in her books.
I also have to read it in Dutch, which I despise since there is no amazing french-english accent in those.

But aside that, I'm already loving him. His ego for feeling too good to take on some cases are just.. endearing.
I think I'll enjoy the books very much, thanks for the tip.

Chrystal

Okay, great character... So far he is the best detective we have... ;)

Still waiting for a few more players....

Sergeant

The best and only one?  ;)

It shouldn't take too long, it's a great idea.

Chrystal

You'd think... I have three character sheets and Andy Z's in rough outline.... And I haven't had anyone new express any interest whatever.

Sergeant

Weird. I've been new for months and haven't participated in any rp's yet and yours was the only one that picked my interest.

It's different from anything else that going on.

Chrystal

That's the problem, I guess. There aren't many people who want "different".

AndyZ

I haven't really had any decent ideas that are actually playworthy since the crappy one that I had before.  I'll most likely end up just lurking when the game activates.  Probably best not to count me as a player.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Kristine

I understand you perfectly PocketWatch and I think Chrystal is right. This idea is really somewhat different. That's why it attracted me

Sergeant

It's a .. Simple idea.

But it could go so deep because of the murder and the reasons behind it.
I think the stress level that would surround it will make great scenes   ;)