[Post-Apoc Pathfinder] Long Lost World (Interest Check)

Started by ManyMindsManyVoices, September 22, 2012, 05:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManyMindsManyVoices

It's been a few centuries since it happened... We never knew it, but Earth was not alone, but we were looking for the wrong sort of life outside our world...

The apocalyptic predictions were off, no one would have guessed how it would all go down. In 2017 of what was known as the Common Era, the world changed. A mirror of this world existed across a strange boundary, but it was a world of elves, dragons, and magic. The boundary fell and both worlds became one, and the world changed. Many died, and more followed in the wars that followed. Technology was pitted against magic, dragons tore apart tanks and bombers destroyed enchanted cities.

At first, guns and soldiers mowed through warriors with blades and bows, but in the end, the world of humans never stood a chance. The war ended with the great Mages of the Shadow Tower joined the fray. While the humans had amazing technology and weapons, it meant nothing against men who could call forth armies of heaven and hell, cloak a floating island in magic, and rain fire from the skies.

The world was left in ruins, most weapons, tanks, jets, computers, and any other technology deemed too dangerous by the mages were scrapped. However, the knowledge of science and magic were never lost. Human wizards now study endless arcane knowledge, while elven scavengers roam the barren lands with carefully maintained or meticulously crafted guns.

We call this world Terra now, and we try to survive in a harsh, unforgiving land under the eyes of the Shadow Tower...

The Rundown

This is an interest check, I haven't completely decided to run this game yet, but I'm willing to consider it if I can get some good players. Right now the rules and such are also malleable, based on the desires of the players. First and foremost, this will not be a typical D&D style game. This isn't a grand adventure where a party of adventurers takes down some great threat. It's about survival and characters, and interactions. A plot will most likely evolve over time, and I will run monsters and such, but otherwise, the game will be about character interaction.

Characters will generally be allowed use of any Paizo created material, so long as it does not directly relate to Golarion. Gods will not exist, but clerics can worship (and gain power from) greater entities of other planes (like the Archdevils of Hell, the Celestial Lords of Heaven, or the Dark Reapers of the Deadlands, and if I decide to run the game, I'll discuss the planes and entities therein at that point). Guns will be available under the Commonplace Guns rules, with a possibility of some houseruled modern guns (very, very rare; and might be essentially very complex paperweights since ammunition for them would be all but non-existant). Sex will be an accepted element (this isn't in the Non-Adult section after all). The game will likely be in the NC-Exotic section, just to cover all bases.
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

ManyMindsManyVoices

The World

Coming Soon...

The Planes

Ditto...

ManyMindsManyVoices

Character Guidelines <Not Yet Complete>

This game will use 25-point-buy for exceptional characters, 20-point-buy for 'expert' types, and 15-point-buy for NPC type characters. This will use the normal point-buy rules from the Pathfinder Core Rules, and most characters will use 25-point-buy (player characters are the 'exceptional' type, usually). Players can always choose to use less powerful options if they wish to portray characters who are meant to perform roles other than the typical 'adventurer', this includes building characters with NPC classes or using lower-level characters.

Resources

Pathfinder Rules and Content - https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/

Online Character Sheets - http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/

Races

All official Paizo races are acceptable, except half-elves and half-orcs (due to the game's story), but I would rather not have too many exotic characters (and on the flip side, I wouldn't want 5 humans, 2 elves, and a dwarf, some people should mix it up). This section will give a quick blurb about the races that definitely have a place in Terra:

The Primary Races

• Humans are the only sapient Earth species, and make up a majority of Terra's sapient population because of that. Humans have a bias towards science and technology and are often looked down on by the other sapient species. (Earth is the only place humans were found before the two worlds became one, there are no 'Fantasy Humans'.)
  • Elves are the dominant sapient species of their world, particularly due to their natural longevity. They are an old race, possessed of grace and magic. Many, if not most, of the Shadow Tower's greatest mages are elves.
  • Dwarves are the great warrior race of their world. Strong, stoic, and long-lived, the dwarves have conquered caves and mountains and fought against 'savage' species, like the orcs, for centuries or millenia. Dwarves are great crafters, drinkers, and soldiers, and have become curious with some of the mechanical feats of humans.
  • Halflings are travelers that walked the plains and floated on the rivers of their world. Perpetual travelers with a gregarious nature, they make great traders and entertainers.
The Uncommon Races

• Aasimars and Tieflings are the children of Heaven and Hell, respectively (the realms of the celestials and fiends). They are as varied as the denizens of their ancestors' home planes, and are not inherently good or evil.
  • Drow and Duergar are the darker, underground mirrors of the elves and dwarves of the surface world. Often twisted and violent, the two races are not well-received by their surface cousins.
  • Gnomes are strange fey-like mortal creatures, that delight in illusions and magic, as well as the mysteries of science and technology. They are driven by curiosity and are either considered intriguing and adorable or pushy and irritating by others, with little middle-ground.
  • The 'Savage' races, including Goblins, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, and Orcs, are often a menace to the other sapient races. Generally, raiders and bandits, the savage races live in the wastes and borderlands, warring and prowling and scavenging.

NinjaWeazel

I'm a sucker for post-apoc!  Count me in, if you'll have me.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Vassus

E-Mail: radically.irrelevant@gmail.com

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

Siereis

Throwing in my interest for this as well, sounds like a lot of fun.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Okay, popping in, and glad to see a decent amount of interest. Go ahead and tell me if you have anything you'd like to know about the world (if I don't have an answer, I'll make one up, or ask everyone what they want) or tell me if there's stuff you'd like to see."

Pyrkinas

Siereis

So earlier on in your description of the RP you said it'd be about: "It's about survival and characters, and interactions", and will not necessarily have a plot early on.  So my quick question is what exactly are we surviving? Pretty much just daily lives in the world? Or was there anything more specific?

Cryptonoms

I definitely wouldn't mind throwing my hat in on this, smexin in the apoc-future is always a good time.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Siereis on September 23, 2012, 03:30:05 AM
So earlier on in your description of the RP you said it'd be about: "It's about survival and characters, and interactions", and will not necessarily have a plot early on.  So my quick question is what exactly are we surviving? Pretty much just daily lives in the world? Or was there anything more specific?

"There are monsters and food shortages and bandits, and you guys might even be part of the latter. The idea is that we're not running a party, but instead discussing the lives of people in the world (who may be exceptional heroes, villains, or even just normal people, you're free to play a low-level or NPC class character). I'll likely allow multiple characters to players who are around often and do a good job advancing the game, if they want them."

"In other words, the players may be each others rivals and enemies, as well as allies and lovers (and maybe both). Make varied and interesting characters that come from all sorts of walks of life, and as the game goes on, a plot can evolve."

CurvyKitten

Color me interested. Need to figure out which persona I want to play. hehe Also I usually use myth weavers for my sheets but I'll create a new account at this site to use it.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Alright, it seems the interest for this is getting to be enough that we can start talking about the setting and characters. So, I'll start working on the who/what/when/where type stuff and update the first three posts as we go. Please, ask me anything you like, and I'll ask you guys what you think about some of my ideas."

"First question: Given this game isn't meant to represent a single party travelling around together, how would you guys like to do levels? Would you guys like to have a large range (like, a few characters could be up to level 10), and give everyone a chance to play a more varied group of individuals. Or do you guys want a lower range (around level 5) and let people just play up and coming heroes or low-level non-adventurer types, and avoid any high powered characters (other than NPCs)."

"Second question: The Commonplace Guns rule makes early firearms (muzzle-loaded style guns) very cheap, but doesn't change the price of advanced firearms. Would you guys like to decrease the cost of advanced firearms (to like 75% or half cost) so that there's more of a sense of technology struggling against magic?"

Vassus

I am not the one to be answering the first question, though I'll throw my two pence in with the latter one. 75% seems high to me, but I would support 1/2 (or lower) discount.

Did you know: "polish" is a word that completely changes it's meaning when you capitalize the first letter?

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I meant 75% of the cost, not 75% discount. You're right, a 75% discount would be over the top."

Vassus

ManyMindsManyVoices

"So it seems my initial interest died out, if people still want to get this going, I'll need active input. So, let me know if you guys want to try to make this happen and what you think about how it should run."

EDIT: "Alright, closing this down, since I haven't gotten any responses since the initial interest. I'll leave the thread here in case anyone wants to PM to try to stir up interest again."