Important Announcement if you are running Windows

Started by Vekseid, July 21, 2015, 01:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Thank you everyone for all the advice and suggestions. It's very late here in Blighty so I must get to bed. I will look at this afresh tomorrow when I get home from work. Thank you all again! *hugs*

gaggedLouise

*is also on XP (SP3) from home and mutters, even though she figures her next pc will probably be loaded with either Windows 10 or Ubuntu*

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oreo

May I have permission to copy your opening message to my facebook page?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Dimir

Well I guess it's time for another Malwarebytes scan. Thanks for informing us about this.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Alexiel

Does anyone know if all Adobe programs are affected by this? For example, I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 for work and it's installed on my home computer. Is that something I should consider getting rid of asap? Thanks in advance for anyone who can/does answer that for me.
Search Thread | Ons & Offs | A&A's | Post List
Alexiel is currently UNAVAILABLE for new stories.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Alexiel on July 21, 2015, 07:14:38 PM
Does anyone know if all Adobe programs are affected by this? For example, I use Adobe Photoshop CS5 for work and it's installed on my home computer. Is that something I should consider getting rid of asap? Thanks in advance for anyone who can/does answer that for me.

I use it too and there's no way, no how I'd get rid of it.

I don't know how many Adobe programs it will affect but it sounds like it's mainly Flash and any files that might use embedded fonts (and the only types I know of that do that are PDFs and E-books), which would be flavours of Acrobat (including the Reader).

Alexiel

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 21, 2015, 07:46:13 PM
I use it too and there's no way, no how I'd get rid of it.

I don't know how many Adobe programs it will affect but it sounds like it's mainly Flash and any files that might use embedded fonts (and the only types I know of that do that are PDFs and E-books), which would be flavours of Acrobat (including the Reader).

Thanks for replying to my question, Amber. I feel the same way about cs5, and don't know what I would do without it. The other things shouldn't be an issue, so I'll keep cs5 for now and see what happens with it all. Thank you again!
Search Thread | Ons & Offs | A&A's | Post List
Alexiel is currently UNAVAILABLE for new stories.

kylie

Sorry if this was covered, but is there a specific update number (KB.......) that is the thing to have right now?  Can we download it direct from the Microsoft sites?

At the moment, I'm having trouble installing a couple of the .NET Framework updates (error 80070BC9).  I ran the generic update installer FixIt recommended by the Windows routine, but that didn't seem to help.  Ran Malware Bytes scan and didn't find anything especially strange (just PowerISO, but I installed that and I don't think it's evil?).  I'd really like to solve this without invoking Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Authentication, as I'm on a black Windows and have those both turned off. 

Everything else labeled Important has installed fine (except I haven't bothered upgrading Internet Explorer from 10 to 11 yet, as it's a secondary browser for me and I like to stagger things particularly while in China). 

Thanks for the update.  Uninstalled Adobe -- the constant updates were a pain anyhow.  Sumatra looks alright enough, at least at a glance.

Geraint

Quote from: kylie on July 21, 2015, 09:53:15 PM
     Sorry if this was covered, but is there a specific update number (KB.......) that is the thing to have right now?  Can we download it direct from the Microsoft sites?

At the moment, I'm having trouble installing a couple of the .NET Framework updates (error 80070BC9).  I ran the generic update installer FixIt recommended by the Windows routine, but that didn't seem to help.  Ran Malware Bytes scan and didn't find anything especially strange (just PowerISO, but I installed that and I don't think it's evil?).  I'd really like to solve this without invoking Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Authentication, as I'm on a black Windows and have those both turned off. 

Everything else labeled Important has installed fine (except I haven't bothered upgrading Internet Explorer from 10 to 11 yet, as it's a secondary browser for me and I like to stagger things particularly while in China). 

Thanks for the update.  Uninstalled Adobe -- the constant updates were a pain anyhow.  Sumatra looks alright enough, at least at a glance.

The specific Windows update is KB3079904 though it comes in different specific packages for the different supported systems.

As for IE11, I let Microsoft install it and regretted it within hours, as it caused more display problems than added anything I perceived as valuable.  I uninstalled it and blocked it from downloading again. 
I'm quite happy with IE10 and Microsoft continues to update it regularly.  Maybe Microsoft has fixed IE11 by now, but I'd say don't bother, especially if downloading is a problem.

Maybe someone else can help you with the .NET Framework updates, as I don't know.

kylie

Quote from: Geraint
The specific Windows update is KB3079904 though it comes in different specific packages for the different supported systems.
I downloaded it from three different pages on Microsoft (one said x64-based systems, but the other did not, the third one does not say x64 or x-anything at all but adds "for Embedded Standard 7" in the title).  All three times, the app said it wasn't compatible with my system.  I only have 32 bits, but I do have Win 7 SP 1.

I wonder if it might be necessary to upgrade the .NET first??  Pretty clueless otherwise.

Geraint

Quote from: kylie on July 21, 2015, 11:38:34 PM
      I downloaded it from three different pages on Microsoft (one said x64-based systems, but the other did not, the third one does not say x64 or x-anything at all but adds "for Embedded Standard 7" in the title).  All three times, the app said it wasn't compatible with my system.  I only have 32 bits, but I do have Win 7 SP 1.

I wonder if it might be necessary to upgrade the .NET first??  Pretty clueless otherwise.

Try this:
Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=37315ad0-a892-49e2-a945-29e0e6004504

And here's the applicable security bulletin:
https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-078

kylie

Thank you, but I think I was there.  I did it again, anyway.  It says the same thing when I open the downloaded file:  "This update is not applicable to your computer."

Xanatos

Quote from: Sherlock on July 21, 2015, 02:26:21 PM
I use Chrome and have ditched Flash. Youtube works just fine for me. ^^

Danke for the answer. I think I shall try Unity then, since it seems the most cross-platform friendly and the biggest for Win, other than Flash (as far as I am aware).

Thanks to the other(s) who answered as well.

Lorelei Adelaide

I'm a fishin' in the dark nitty gritty girl.

O/Os|Preferences|Idea's
Apologies and Absences

Vekseid

Quote from: Alexiel on July 21, 2015, 07:14:38 PM

Only the components that will process data from untrusted sources - Acrobat Writer/Pro and the various Flash development programs (Flex/Flash Builder, Flash Catalyst, Flash Pro).

There have been other vulnerabilities in various CS components but these are generally harder to pull off even if someone knows you, knows the exploits, knows how to make use of them, knows you use a specific (unpatched) version of CS and you trust them enough to open files that they send you.

Haibane

Quote from: jouzinka on July 21, 2015, 02:49:23 PM
Haibane, you can also try using this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2730071
Thanks! I found that BITS wasn't running. That's Background Intelligent Transfer Service if you want to know Veks.

I still haven't updated but all the pieces are in place now and running.

BTW I found out I have had no Windows updates since February 2011  :-[

I cannot update this particular file as presumably my system is so out of date. I just hope the Win Updater grabs a huge stack of updates next time it runs.

Darwishi

Sooo.. what if you can't ditch Flash? XDD  I'm an animator.  Part of making a living relies on Flash Pro CC, is there some way that I can just... avoid everything without totally uninstalling everything Flash related?  I have similar issues with uninstalling Adobe Acrobat DC...

jouzinka

How about running it on virtual PC only - when you work?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Darwishi

jouzinka

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee, all dem jelly beans. XD I wants dem, I hoards dem.

Darwishi

jouzinka

Hmmm... think of it as a PC within a PC or a remote desktop if you've ever used it? Basically you create a new machine within your machine, but without all the risks to your physical machine.

Darwishi

I've only ever seen that done on Linux machines, but that doesn't stop me from having no idea how to do it.  Wouldn't that also steal memory from my current system?

sleepingferret

Virtual PCs only "steal" or use memory when you're running them.  When you close them down, they no longer use memory.

So unless you need to have a Virtual PC be running an application constantly as well as your machine remain functional to run other applications simultaneously memory usage by a Virtual PC shouldn't be a concern.