News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Legit promoting a group game

Started by paladincarvin, November 14, 2011, 12:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paladincarvin

Alright, so I have some great ideas flowing for this group game. And I want (need?) people to join. I know I can't bump my thread in the Group Role Play forum without breaking the rules. I'd need something to actually add, and now that it is ready, I'd just be spamming. So, where do I go to find more players? I don't want to break rules, or be a jerk. I added the link to my sig a few days ago, but I haven't a clue if people really click sig links... or if I made a tempting one. But beyond that, I don't know what my best options are.
I am Warp, creator and master of The Transdimensional Brothel, where I can make your dream come true, at the simple cost making sure my dream comes true.

Kye

Perhaps approach people you'd like to join?  Recruiting isn't against the rules as long as you aren't overly pushy with people.  Some of my best stories are from people who I approached because I found that they liked some of the things I wanted included in the stories/games.  Of course I only do 1x1 or smaller groups, not big group roleplays so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.  You could also ask anyone who decides to join if they know anyone else who might be interested.

paladincarvin

So far I only have maybes. Well, how should I recruit is the next question. Where do I find people interested? I don't want to be a spammer... I don't know a ton of people on here so far either, just the handful I game with.
I am Warp, creator and master of The Transdimensional Brothel, where I can make your dream come true, at the simple cost making sure my dream comes true.

Vekseid

Quote from: paladincarvin on November 14, 2011, 12:57:22 PM
Alright, so I have some great ideas flowing for this group game. And I want (need?) people to join. I know I can't bump my thread in the Group Role Play forum without breaking the rules. I'd need something to actually add, and now that it is ready, I'd just be spamming. So, where do I go to find more players? I don't want to break rules, or be a jerk. I added the link to my sig a few days ago, but I haven't a clue if people really click sig links... or if I made a tempting one. But beyond that, I don't know what my best options are.

RPoL.net and RPG.net both allowed recruiting for games on Elliquiy in the past. They both have fora for recruiting for offsite RPs.

paladincarvin

Hmm... I don't know if I want to go that far off, and I don't like signing up for another site. Isn't there anything in house to do that?

jouzinka

You can always go and see if there is a small or big game for the similar (general) setting shortly dead or dying. You can always request a GM for a permission to recruit the players for your game.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

paladincarvin

Oooo, searching the grave yards! That is a brilliant idea...

*prances out the door to do that*

Vekseid

Quote from: paladincarvin on November 14, 2011, 03:16:38 PM
Hmm... I don't know if I want to go that far off, and I don't like signing up for another site. Isn't there anything in house to do that?

Elliquiy only grows when people bring in others. Elliquiy hasn't grown in over a year now. If you're having difficulty finding people, you'll need to do some work too, I'm afraid. I spent two thousand hours promoting E to make this place its current size - and I've stopped because it's become nearly impossible to continue such a thankless task. People want features - like better ways of finding groups - so those are my priority. And I am only one person.

If someone enjoys this place, it is really appreciated when they take fifteen minutes or so to go out of their way to bring in new people. If not enough people do, Elliquiy is going to rot until I get back to putting a few hours a day into promoting.

I'm sorry if this comes off as ranty. : / It is a frustration of mine.

paladincarvin

I hope I do not seem rude in saying this... but is growing E really such a desired result? Since E doesn't use adverts, the only time growing is beneficial is when new donors join. I mean, I like E because it isn't some giant uncontrollable mass of internet. E is an actual community... and the fact that I give a damn about the rules and what is rude and inconsiderate is telling of that fact. If this was f-list, I wouldn't care because that site is just a chat room immediate RP and collection of characters. Sure, there are forums, but that's just another avenue to just RP. Here, I give respect to my fellow members by default, and I know that almost always I'll get it.

So yea, there is my Rant. This is an amazing place, and I love it... and if I thought E needed it I'd be out promoting it.

And even with that said, I appreciate the work done to keep this place going strong.

Jag

You could always take the 'kinks', 'settings', and such from your game and plug them into E's Active Roleplayers List and see who pops up and PM them and see if they would be interested. I know it can be awkward to approach people you've never talked to before about a game (more so for a group game), but I've found most members of E don't mind getting the messages so long as you aren't demanding about it. While I do post requests for games, I still PM people with the ideas too.

Just an idea.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Vekseid

Quote from: paladincarvin on November 14, 2011, 04:36:02 PM
I hope I do not seem rude in saying this... but is growing E really such a desired result?

I think it's in everyone's interests that Elliquiy be self-sustaining, in some fashion, before I run out of funds. I despise doing donation drives, and I despise the bar up top. I want us to stand on our own two legs.

Since E doesn't use adverts, the only time growing is beneficial is when new donors join.

Muse has never donated. Serenity Vixen has never donated. Without them, E wouldn't be here.

This also discounts all of the wonderful people who contribute in other ways. Mentoring, volunteering, writing for the Herald and Post, promoting, and in countless cases, simply adding to the atmosphere that we have here. You're insulting all of them - and yourself - with this statement.

I mean, I like E because it isn't some giant uncontrollable mass of internet. E is an actual community... and the fact that I give a damn about the rules and what is rude and inconsiderate is telling of that fact.

Are you claiming that the mentors and staff don't do their job, and that E's nature as a community just... happened?

E is a friendly community because we made rules, and enforced them. And I had to go first, on that front, enforcing them on a member whom the entire rest of the staff refused to.

If this was f-list, I wouldn't care because that site is just a chat room immediate RP and collection of characters. Sure, there are forums, but that's just another avenue to just RP. Here, I give respect to my fellow members by default, and I know that almost always I'll get it.

So yea, there is my Rant. This is an amazing place, and I love it... and if I thought E needed it I'd be out promoting it.

And even with that said, I appreciate the work done to keep this place going strong.

This doesn't tell me that our work is appreciated. This only tells me that you fear that we won't do it.

paladincarvin

This is a harsh response... and unfortunately for me, it is entirely fair.

I don't know what much to say... other than I can see when I am wrong.

Clearly I didn't just say the wrong thing... I am way off in my thinking on these things... to the point of being a down right asshole.

I won't give a hollow apology... but I will think on your words.