What's your object of inspiration right now?

Started by Captain Maltese, March 26, 2020, 09:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Maltese

I'm writing a naval post right now. So I'm wearing a fisherman's cap. What's your object?

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

The Mayfields

Interesting, I've never considered something like that! I would have to say my hair-tie. Without it I feel lost, and can't write as good of posts. I keep two on my wrist at all times, one for my hair (that gets cycled out as my hair expands, and eventually, breaks it.) and the hair tie I've had for 5 or so years now.

Good question!
| O/O's | Currently Looking for New RP’s | R/T |

Captain Maltese

Right now I am writing a train scene. Lacking anything more fitting I have my tin flute playing B, which happens to be the exact note for your classic steam locomotive whistle.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Captain Maltese

Writing a post for a fantasy story. The post involves witchcraft. As writing inspiration I now have on my desk seven two-colored crystal stones, laid out in a pentagram circle. They are beckoning dangerously for an incantation or a reading but all I wish for this night is words, sentences, paragraphs - a writer's magick.

Captain Maltese

My next story post involves a bird. Inspiration for this I'll find in the three dreamcatchers hanging over my desk - they are all decorated with feathers.

Daena

That is interesting, I've never considered this. I usually have music that for me fits the theme of the post or the story playing - I'll find a playlist on youtube, or even depending on what I'm writing I'll watch a show that inspires the same. But I don't really have objects.
Currently Not Seeking New Rp Partners.

Captain Maltese

Quote from: Daena on April 17, 2020, 11:21:35 AM
That is interesting, I've never considered this. I usually have music that for me fits the theme of the post or the story playing - I'll find a playlist on youtube, or even depending on what I'm writing I'll watch a show that inspires the same. But I don't really have objects.

Things have voices and little stories to tell. Some are more interesting than others. This feather here for instance. I can think of a feather, I can read and learn about feathers, but it is when I touch it that I feel the heat of the downy underfeathers and the strength of its spine. Then I sense hundreds of feathers coming together to form a powerful wing that is its true owner's weapon or tool to soar into the sky. The sudden swerve to avoid the enemy coming from above, the rustling of the wind in the protective shell the feather forms while sitting on a branch. The fear, the lust, the life, it all comes back because I am touching it. There's a momentary, tactile understanding. The bird is long gone but in that instant it still lives.

Daena

Quote from: Captain Maltese on April 17, 2020, 05:25:35 PM
Things have voices and little stories to tell. Some are more interesting than others. This feather here for instance. I can think of a feather, I can read and learn about feathers, but it is when I touch it that I feel the heat of the downy underfeathers and the strength of its spine. Then I sense hundreds of feathers coming together to form a powerful wing that is its true owner's weapon or tool to soar into the sky. The sudden swerve to avoid the enemy coming from above, the rustling of the wind in the protective shell the feather forms while sitting on a branch. The fear, the lust, the life, it all comes back because I am touching it. There's a momentary, tactile understanding. The bird is long gone but in that instant it still lives.

That was a beautiful statement, Captain. I do think I'm going to end up stalking this thread to see what else you come up with. I loved how you described this, giving it a life it allows others as well as me, I'm sure to see the feathers.

Bravo

Keep it up, you have a fan!
Currently Not Seeking New Rp Partners.

Captain Maltese

My next post hails from 18th century France. There's not a lot of items in my home of that vintage. But I do have a beeswax candle which is now burning near my laptop. The flickering, dancing flame and its little heat and light is the same as the one giving De Sade, Mozart and Robespierre work time at evening grew deeper and turned into night.

Captain Maltese

Post in progress is placed in a gym. I can't do lifting and typing at the same time but I do have this set of hand grip trainers handy. Besides typing I now have three ways to get cramps in my hands.

Captain Maltese

Current post is crime noir. So my objects of inspiration are a glass of wine and an old British Bulldog revolver with a birdhead grip and a barrel like a railroad tunnel.

Captain Maltese

Current post is set in the Victorian era. For inspiration I have a (replica) walking stick in front of me. It has a silverish elephant head handle and conceals about two feet of triangular blade.

Captain Maltese

Current WIP post is set in the French Rococco period. Difficult one. But I found the direction at last. All I needed to was put on my bicorne hat. Vivre le Roi!

Captain Maltese

Next post is in a fantasy story. So here's a dagger.

Luna Skywind

I want to write as one of my old characters who was an herbalist, so I went to my spice drawer for some dill.

Captain Maltese

Detective noir story post in progress. For inspiration I am wearing a grey fedora that would not look out of place in 1949. Gods, I wish I could have a cigarette.