The world of darkness...again

Started by Brandon, September 11, 2007, 10:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

So while I was sick I had a lot of time on my hands and almost all of it was put toward making a fictional world of darkness city. The kind of world where things go bump in the night, where companies are owned by or make deals with creatures of the night, where predetors lurk in the shadows ready to strike and pull people into a world where there is no escape.

I think it was 2 years ago when I originally tried to create a game that had multiple aspects of mages, werewolves, mortals, and vampires but since then two new settings have been released for the new world of darkness. Those of the Changelings and Prometheans. Well the year or two later there is far more interest in a horror game (according to just looking over the on's and off's threads) and Ive decided to try again.

I intent to follow the same plan as we did last time (which can be found here https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5256.0). Who would be interested in playing (or running) a game based upon these settings with me?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Chameleon

I would play,  I could also help players create characters if they were iffy on the rules(Except for Changeling).  I can't forsee myself GMing(except maybe weaving in a short side chronicle), as I'm not sure I have the spare time to invest in what it takes to truly keep a WoD game going.  Particularly if it across Genre boarders.

Simon

Caustic

Ok-- I'm torn here.  I used to Larp White Wolf (yes, I know, throw toast now) a hell of a lot.  I loved a lot about the old World of Darkness, hated a lot of it too.  But I left it back before the Big Shit Hit the Fan and they re-vamped all the sourcebooks. 

If the right players come together on this, I'll jump in, both feet.  But I will need some serious help.

Ignore this next bit if you like, not wanting to discuss it, just... trying to communicate my opinion, if it's of any bearing here.

[mode=RANT!!!]
First of all: My favorite was Wraith.  I also have very little experience with it in a game setting, so shit on that.  My second was Werewolf, but FUCK THAT if it's all tribe/gift structured because SOME of that shit made no sense at all.  AT.  ALL.  Third was Vampire... great fun, mad cheese, retarded abuse of structure.  No desire to ever play a prince again... three years is enough.  Last was Mage.  FUCK mage.  Below last was Changeling... don't even want to think about it.  And, in some remote corner away from everything else was Hunter... great premise, poor mechanics, not enough godly powers to get the mountain-dew chugging brats of the world out there buying up all the books.[/RANT!!!mode]

*SIGH*  Ok feeling better now.

If I'm invited to be a part of this development, I'd like to stress that I really like the darkness, the horror, the mystery, and even to some degree the idea that everyone's the puppet in a great big punch-and-judy show for the powers that be. 

From the very little bit I've heard about Promentheans... I would love to learn more about that, by the way... I may be interested in playing one of them, but... as with most games... what matters here isn't the mechanics, the monsters... it's the setting and the characters, it's the PREMISE.  Right along with you on the FEEL of this world, Brandon.  But if all else fails, we could potentially just throw something together, stealing what ideas we want.

Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Swedish Steel

Hmmm...I dunno...I would love to play a nWoD, but I already GM a freeform one. What to do...
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Caustic

Quote from: Swedish Steel on September 13, 2007, 05:01:39 PM
Hmmm...I dunno...I would love to play a nWoD, but I already GM a freeform one. What to do...

Is that on this site..?
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Brandon

Caustic: Im with you on Wraith, by far it was the best OWoD game and still my favorite but White wolf has not yet made a new Wraith setting and to my knowlege has no plans to. Anyway, the settings have changed over the years. Ill take werewolf since its my favorite game of the new setting. Remember Gaia and how werewolves were unstoppable killing machines? Forget that, now a werewolf is about as powerful as any vampire, mage, etc. The setting is more about keeping a balance between spirit world and normal world but also about trying to keep a side of your soul in check when its just wants to get out and hunt. Things have changed and Im of the opinion that every setting is overall better.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the New world of darkness is not a continuation of the old world, its an entirely new game. The Camarilla and sabbat never exsisted and Gaia doesnt have any relevance beyond maybe a few myths. Many people come into the game thinking "alright lets see how they revamped my favorite setting" and they walk away disappointed, much like I did when going from V:tM to V:tR but I didnt realize at the time that its not a continuation but a brand new setting.

Swedish steel: Think about it. Im not saying anyone has to GM if they have experience or whatnot. You can just be a player and if you think you want to take up the mantle for one of the settings later Ill be open to that and willing to give you my full support. In fact that goes for everyone who may be in the same/similar position

Now a completly different idea comes to mind. I would love to have a system game but Im also starting to think it could be run in a freeform setting as long as some general character sheets were made so players could look and understand what they can and cant do, as well as what they're really good at and really bad at. Any thoughts on that?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Simon

They have system for a wraith game though in the core book, but not a complete game as they had in Wraith. I never played Wraith so I can't speak for the game at all... anyway :), in my opinion the new system and setting works better than the old one (but I know people doesn't agree with me on that).

I'm for a freeform game (with a sheet to back it up) as I have found that freeform seems to work better here at E than on e.g Rpol. Regardless what I'm in.

Swedish Steel

I'll have to say Demon was my favorite of the oWoD, it sure felt more like nWoD than the old. A shame they released it just before they discontinued oWoD, it seems unlikely they'll make a new version of it.
I'd say that the nWoD is far, far, far,far...far superior to the old one. I might miss a few things from the old, but not that much to be honest.

On Off page:

Caustic

Quote from: Swedish Steel on September 13, 2007, 10:13:40 PM
Yeah, it's with Bliss, Cherri and Idachan.

I believe that's spelled, "P", "I", "M", "P".

ZK

Well, as when it comes to the nWoD series. So far, the only one released we'd really have to keep out would be Promethean: The Created (when it comes to PCs) due to their Disquiet tends to well, piss off every living and unliving thing. As for Changelings, they're a bit iffy, but they're more compilable when it comes to cross-over games. Just having a said supernatural prove that he/she/it is not a Gentry will be the turning point for them. Aside from that, the others can coexist a bit more easily {After all, look at the Chicago Setting. They're not hunky-dory friends, but still, they coexist}

As with speaking of Demon, Conrad is seeing if Justin wants to recreate it since their newest game is in fact, Hunter. There have also been rumors (throughout the series) of an alien based book, if it does do well, it will in fact become one. ^.^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Caustic

Anything that sells, I guess.

So what do YOU guys want in a game?

RubySlippers

Ooooooooooo nWod of Darkness I have the Vampire Book, oooooooooooooooo. I would love to play a child of a old vampiress that was creates for food and a companion for her, a trustworthy place to get her vampire blood she can control and at least bood bond enough to secure it. 

Vampire, lesbian blood sharing sex with sex- yay baby, yay!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

Caustic

Ok... so, quick recap:

Some people want cool scariness.
I want freeform and low, low mechanics.
Ruby wants pussy.

Anyone else?

RubySlippers

I want role-playing too, can't live on pussy and blood alone in a game, be fun but kind of boring. But as an Invictus embraced for a food source and companion her goals are likely going to be miore modest. Face it she'll never rise up high in the Invictus most likely without power and assets. And in any case she has to be useful eventually her appetites will fall to vampires at some point.

The Invictus demand vampires be worthy of being in the First Estate even ones embraced and brought in for certain reasons like she was. But in keeping her mistress well fed she in her way also helps the Invictus and a strong Sire means she has a friend with clout. Since the Blood Bond in nWoD is mutual even in Sire to Childe.

Simon

Sounds as a solid and good character in my book.

Brandon

Z.k. Disquiet is the main problem with a promethean but Promethean's are about alienation in the first place. I dont feel right excluding a person from a game just because of how the system is built. If a person wants to play a Promethean they likely know about Disquiet and are ready to deal with the good and bad of the Promethean system. Yes it may cause problems but I see a chance for interesting stories more then I do trouble when allowing a Promethean

I really thought we would have gotten more interst by now. I am considering a more freeform game at this point but again Ild at least like everyone to have a character sheet and spend experience as normal in case things such as combat and dramatic scenes come up. Right now though it doesnt seem like we have much of a game with only 2 GMs and a handful of players