News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pathfinder: Adventurers Welcome (Recruiting)

Started by kckolbe, September 30, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

Are you down on your luck?  Are you an adult with no apprenticeship?  Are you just looking for an exciting life?  The Varisian Colonist's Guild wants you!  Here at the guild, you can learn the basics of combat, spellcasting, crafting, and performing.  You can travel to different nations and colonies, and explore uncharted areas.  We will train you and equip you with all the gear you need to be a successful adventurer and businessman, all for free!  All we require is that each recruit complete three missions, all of which you'll be paid for!  After that, the training and gear is yours to keep.

Adventurers Welcome is a Pathfinder game set in a modified Golarion.  PCs will be members of the guild (though not all need be adventurers, more on that below).  The guild performs tasks for primarily unaligned cities and towns, though occasionally even other nations.  PCs will be given varying levels of leeway as to how these missions are accomplished, and observant players will notice opportunities to get involved in the world separate from missions.  As the game progresses, missions will (ideally) slowly take a backseat to player initiatives.

PCs may choose to play as either adventurers or staff. 
Adventurers are 1st level characters built with 25 points and 0 gold (gear packages will be provided).  Adventurers may sign up for missions with no restrictions and advance using the fast xp progression.
Staff characters begin at 4th level, built with 20 points and beginning with 3,000 gold.  They may not sign up for missions without special approval, which will be rare, though can be called on to help out with an ongoing mission that is proving too difficult.  Staff progress using medium xp rules.

Other special rules:
All PCs and guild NPCs receive 1 free skill point when leveling in their favored class.  This skill point must be spent on craft, perform, or profession. 
PCs will start with one trait, but may receive extra based on how much I like the character concept.
"Common" does not exist as a language.  In addition to languages for the different races, humans have multiple languages (which will be covered later).
Custom races are allowed, though nothing that would require an ECL adjustment.  Players are encouraged to keep their characters not only humanoid, but fitting for civilized society.  I will allow some exotic characters, but the majority will be ordinary.
I have re-worked crafting rules to make crafting arms and armor more beneficial past the early levels.  Details will be posted later once game threads are set up.  To summarize, skilled crafters can make higher levels of masterwork items.

I will be the primary GM, and amol will be playing multiple NPCs.  I am in the market for someone else to assist as GM, particularly with maps, as that is a weakness of mine, and maps are rather important on most pathfinder modules.  Players who assist in GMing will, of course, be given priority for having their character selected.

As you may have guessed, this will not be first come, first serve.  I am currently looking to take on about 8 players, willing and hoping to increase that number should I get a bit more help GMing.

Current applications
kckolbe, Guildmaster: Human Alchemist (Preserver) 4, Fighter (Lore Warden) 2, Student of War 2, male
amol, Guildmaster: Half Elf Oracle 8, female

Blinkin, Adventurer: Human Rogue (Swashbuckler), female
Luna, Adventurer: Human Oracle (No Archetype), female
Muse, Adventurer: Human Fighter (Crossbowman), female
EndofDivine, Adventurer: Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of Holy Light), female
FinnMacKenna, Adventurer: Half Drow Bard (No Archetype), female
Phaia, Adventurer: Half Elf Monk (Four Winds), female

Ebb, Adventurer: Half Orc Paladin (Redeemer), male
Countdown0, Adventurer: Half Elf Wizard (Universalist), male
Faolchu, Adventurer: Human Cleric (No Archetype), male
Ghostweel, Adventurer: Half Drow Summoner, male
lockepicke, Adventurer: Imbued Human Spellthief (No Archetype), male
Anon315, Adventurer: Underhuman Witch, male

Zaer Darkwail, Staff: Aasimar Bard (Archivist), male

Other players have expressed interest, but these are the only finalized concepts so far.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Teo Torriatte

I would like to play an Oracle... her family maintains a nearby shrine but due to dwindling donations, she has applied to join the guild as an adventurer.

Blinkin

Tari Gravante, 1st Level Swashbuckler (Rogue Archetype)

Personality: Tari is a fascinating blend of outrageous flirt and bold, even reckless seriousness. If you’re a friend, you’re a friend for life and none other will be as loyal as she will. If you are an enemy… well… no one will be as loyal to the cause of getting even either. If you’re fun, you’ll get a time that you’ll never forget. In spite of her conflicting personality traits, she holds a set of morals and principles that can be absolutely depended on to hold true… exactly what those are may sometimes be in question, but never that she’ll follow them. She has a mischievous streak a league wide and a love of anything the least bit exciting and new… this can range from a new place to a new man (or woman) for a night of wenching and drinking… Hey, women can wench; they just call it something different! When the times call for seriousness, however, her mind is focused on whatever needs to be done and although she may trade witty comments and barbs with the opponent, she never forgets that it’s life and death… and she intends for her and hers to walk away with the life category. Often sweet and funny, she’ll happily sit down with the same “bad guy” for a civil conversation at a tavern simply because it’s the civilized thing to do and good conversation is good conversation… as long as the rules of courtesy are obeyed. Then, the next morning, do her best to best said bad-guy with her blades… unless the point of the fight isn’t to kill each other, but she’ll fight just as hard all the same… If you want to beat her, you’re going to have to work for it!

Background: Tari is the youngest daughter of Baron Phenael Gravante, and admittedly, the apple of his eye. Even though she continues to disobey him and avoid suitor after suitor with some skill, she knows that  in the end, she will not inherit and if she doesn't want to become some old man's political spouse, she'll have to make her own way; her own career.

Tari, following the example of her 4 older brothers, gravitated to the ways of the warrior and her fascination with the blade has led her to no small amount of trouble. Because she is a woman, she has had to pursue an unorthodox method of training. When her father’s Man-at-arms refused to teach her, she went out on her own and discovered an old rogue who, for a price that should be kept out of polite company, taught her the ways of light blades and speed, of movement and stealth when many of her opponents will be larger and stronger than she is… to face anger with a sort of glee that is shown in the way that the tongue can taunt and tempt the enemy to act without thought… where her own body might be a lure to act without wisdom… to be bold and wait for the subtle moments. Along with the sword play, she learned much about the underside of the world and while she would never be a thief, she is aware of that profession and may have some small talent in going places that she shouldn’t.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

atenai

Can I make an adventurer and a staff member? I can't make up my mind which I'd prefer. I certainly would enjoy the RP aspects of the staff member interacting with everyone who comes through...

PC ideas to come.
~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

kckolbe

Glad to see some concepts coming in already.  Atenai, I would like to limit all non-GMs to one character for now.  Depending on how many applications we get for different roles, I might open it up later, though.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

atenai

Alright, I'll have to think about it, then. Will the staff really use mechanics, much, or will they be more of an RP-only presence for in between missions? I'm just wondering what the functional difference will be, besides hanging around "back home".
~Atenai

IRL Status: Offline. On hiatus.

Atenai's Addictions (O/Os & Ideas), Requests, and Apologies [NEW! 17 Jun '23]
Elluiki User Page (Bio, Stories Old and New)   "Fucking insatiable, teasing brat."

Ershin

I'm trying to narrow down my choices at the minute for who I would want to play, I've been considering a couple of different backgrounds, but I'm not sure if the classes I've chosen for these people in my head would be permitted, such as a Summoner with the Synthesist archetype (which is a class banned in official Pathfinder Society games) or a Gunslinger (as I'm not certain on whether or not firearms are permitted in this setting). If all else fails, maybe I could resurrect an old Magus concept~

May I also ask if this isn't first come first serve, do you have a date in mind for when applications might close?

Faolchu

I've got some ideas, but a quick question first: are you allowing Harrow decks and the Harrower prestige class?
Sir, remember your course correction?
No.
We'll it's proving somewhat more suicidal than we initially hoped for.

Ghostwheel

Ness

Simply known as Ness, the half-elf's beginning is one that started deep underground in the tunnels and caverns below the surface world. There the drow work tirelessly to advance their evil goals, always attempting to subvert other races to their cause as slaves and servitors, destroying anything different and even dragging people alive and screaming down into their tunnels, ready to visit terrible torture and eventual destruction upon their hapless victims. It was into this society that Ness was born, the product of the unwilling union between a drow matriarch and a human slave. It was bad enough to be born half a drow into the foul society, even worse that he was a throwback, light-skinned with only white hair the color sometimes of light ash, and other times of snow, to mark his dark heritage.

It's a wonder that he lasted more than a few years, thanks in part to the time he spent hidden within his mother's library, delving into books far beyond his learning. It was through these that one day he learned his first binding, bringing an otherworldly being into this world. He'd read he needed to sacrifice something, and unthinkingly he cut his finger, sacrificing a piece of himself to the beast. This act bound the creature to him, yet this bond also affected it, causing it to be far weaker than it had been in the past. It raged at the injustice, but now its fate had been indelibly tied to Ness's, and found it supremely difficult to resist the child's demands, forced to protect him from his peers.

Ness was always seen as an outsider by the Drow community, not only being half-drow, but also pale-skinned like a surface elf. It was years later when he'd finally had enough that he left for the surface to find his own way in the world, carrying with him the baggage of his past and a twisted personality from having grown up in Drow society.

Character Sheet
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Summoner 1
Size: Medium
Alignment: Neutral

Abilities:
Strength 7 (-2)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 14 (+2)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 20 (+5)

HP: 8/8
AC: 11 (Touch 11, Flat-Footed 10)
CMB: -2
CMD: 9
Initiative: +1

Saves:
Fortitude +2
Reflex +1
Will +2

Miscellaneous:
+2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.

Attacks:

Spells:
Level 0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic
Level 1 (3/day): Infernal Healing, Mage Armor

Feats:
Skill Focus (Knowledge: Arcana)
Spell Focus (Conjuration)

Skills:
Bluff +7
Craft (Bow) +6
Diplomacy +6
Intimidate +6
Knowledge (Arcana) +9
Sense Motive +1

Class Features:
Cantrips
Eidolon
Life Link
Summon Monster I (8/day)

Racial Features:
Adaptability
Arcane Training (Summoner)
Drow Blooded - Darkvision 60', Light Sensitivity
Elf Blood
Elven Immunities
Wary

Traits:

Drawback:

Possessions:

Currency:

Eidolon:
Biped Eidolon
Evolution Points: 3
Medium Outsider
AC 13, TAC 11, FFAC 12
HP: 11
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +2
Speed: 30'
Full attack: Claw/Claw +6 (1d4+4, 20/x2), Bite +6 (1d6+6)
Standard attack: Bite +6 (1d6+6, 20/x2)
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11
BAB +1, CMB +5, CMD 16
Feats: Point Blank Shot
Skills: Fly +5, Perception +4, Sense Motive +4, Stealth +5
Special Qualities: Darkvision, Link, Share Spells
Evolutions: Claws - Free, Limbs (Arms) - Free, Limbs (Legs) - Free, Ability Increase (Str) - 2, Bite - 1

Ebb

I'd be interested in giving this a shot. My character idea is a half-orc paladin, assuming that's not too exotic. I'm looking at the Redeemer archetype. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/half-orc/redeemer-paladin-half-orc)

Here's some background:

Bertram, 1st level Half-Orc (City-raised) Paladin (Redeemer)

Abandoned as an infant to the care of an isolated and impoverished human monastery, Bertram was raised steeped in religious principles. As he grew he tended the monastery's flocks of sheep, while learning to read, write and pray. All of his life he has yearned to serve the church, and his natural orcish physique eventually prompted him to take up arms as a paladin. Sadly he has been rejected by every holy order of knights he has approached, and so has vowed to strike off on his own. He strives to be an exemplar of service to his god, Iomedae, in the hopes that one day an established order may recognize him for his prowess with arms and his mercy toward his foes, and make him a true knight. In the meantime he will simply continue to serve Her with all of his might.

Bertram commonly wears a full-face helm or, failing that, a sack with eyeholes over his head. If asked he will claim that this is due to a knightly vow of humility, but in fact it is mostly to avoid problems interacting with humans. He speaks little, especially if he has companions who will do the speaking for him, but cannot hold his tongue when he sees injustice being done.

All in all Bertram is honorable and well-meaning, but perhaps a bit too thick and naive to really be trusted on his own. He believes that all creatures are inherently good, even those, like him, who wear monstrous faces. He has been known to preach to fallen foes rather than kill them, though after an hour or so some might prefer the sweet embrace of death.

Betram does not drink or swear, considering these acts to be unclean. The jury's still out on sexual congress; he hasn't had much opportunity to resist that particular sin.

kckolbe

Staff vs Adventurers:  Staff will undoubtedly spend the majority of their time solely engaged in RP-only activities, and the majority of their rolls will be things like crafting or casting healing spells (as applicable).  However, there exists the possibility for them to end up on missions as well as the decision to become adventurers again down the road (basically after all adventurer PCs have had the chance to complete a mission), so I figured I should put rules in place for them up front.  Also, staff progress using medium xp progression as opposed to fast, which I seemingly forgot in the first post.  I'll add that in.

I've received a lot of questions regarding "questionable" classes here and in PM, both third party and even some from within paizo that have "bad reputations."  After giving it some minor thought, my answer is yes, though I will nerf these submitted classes (if the character is chosen) before playing to avoid regretting them.  Cuts will be arbitrary (as some classes may appear stronger to me than others), and I will listen to the opinions of other players, but I want to make sure that any 3rd party or potentially overpowered classes are being chosen for the right reasons.

I've seen more than one pathfinder game turn into an arms race, where players kept requesting class conversions and outside rules until the game was no fun as player or GM. 

Faolchu, I am not actually familiar with the rules for those.  Mind linking them to me?

Intro Thread

Blinkin

Question on traits... will you allow a drawback?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Countdown0

Cadrim, 1st Level Half-Elf Wizard (Universalist)

Growing up as the only half-elf in a poor neighborhood, surrounded by humans, Cadrim was the victim of plenty of jokes, pranks and ridicule. At a young age, he had already chosen to isolate himself when the opportunity was present. Instead of trying to make friends and risk the mocking that would come from being of mixed blood, he focused on things that interested him. Naturally smart and inquisitive, there were plenty of subjects that he was drawn to, but nothing captured his imagination more than magic did. He read whatever he could about magic, whether it was factual or not, and when he couldn't find anything more, he would run off during the day and try to steal from wizard shops to give himself more to study. Still, he wasn't satisfied, and as a young teenager, he spent his time practically begging the various wizards who lived in the city to take him on as an apprentice. It failed and failed until, one day, he met a mage who recognized his intelligence and his determination as two things that he, himself, was gifted with when himself began training in the arcane arts.

This mage, a man name Rorimen, started Cadrim's training within a week. Since then, Cadrim has trained day and night, practicing his magical arts and putting them to use at every opportunity. He even returned to the neighborhood that he lived in as a young boy, and spotted a couple of the humans who had antagonized him when he was younger. He used some of his spells to antagonize them for a while, and of course, wore only normal clothing so that they never expected that it was him. After causing the rest of the neighborhood to think these people to be crazed, Cadrim left, smiling.

Magic has become Cadrim's life. It is the one thing that makes him feel like all the cruel things that were said to him and were done to him as a child were unjustified. Because he is gifted in magical arts, he must be superior. It is only logical. Even Kings cannot conjure fire from their hands or summon an extraplanar creature out of thin air. He no longer has a need for Rorimen's training, and seeks to gain power on his own. Immortality, the ability to destroy entire continents, or even ascend to godhood. Cadrim's own expectations for his own potential are ever rising, and he has no use for anyone who cannot, in some way, aid him in gaining power.

Cadrim is joining the guild to start making some money, with which to fund his own efforts to looks for ways to expand his own power, as well as to test himself to where he is right now, and to find out what more he needs to do to make himself a mighty wizard. In the process, he may try to make a few contacts with people who could prove useful, for one reason or another. His motivation to join the guild is, for lack of a better term, rather selfish. But still, as a guild member, he would be loyal, as long as being part of the guild served his purpose. His selection of spells is more suited for active missions, rather than for any sort of diplomacy or conversation. That said, a wizard's magic can certainly be intimidating to some. Cadrim prides himself on being a universalist, studying all kinds that he can, so he definitely would, if necessary, prepare and learn spells for the sake of a diplomatic mission, if it were required of him. That being said, he's will always be partial to laying waste to enemies, or some other rigorous test of his power.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest to be in game as well, probably roll a Staff member who works as mentor/tutor figure until he gets to go missions also. Not sure of class but so far had thought about being a bard (as they are best 'generalist' and have nice knowledge rolls overall).

Faolchu

Quote from: kckolbe on September 30, 2013, 05:07:33 PM

Faolchu, I am not actually familiar with the rules for those.  Mind linking them to me?

Unfortunately, the rules for the Harrow deck aren't in the PRD on Paizo's site. The rules for the Harrower and associated feats are in the Inner Sea World Guide. I have all the rules, but I think it might be a bit more complex than could be workable for this game. I have plenty of other ideas, though :)
No.

Ebb

Quote from: Faolchu on September 30, 2013, 07:04:31 PM
Unfortunately, the rules for the Harrow deck aren't in the PRD on Paizo's site. The rules for the Harrower and associated feats are in the Inner Sea World Guide. I have all the rules, but I think it might be a bit more complex than could be workable for this game. I have plenty of other ideas, though :)

Looks like most of the rules are here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

Also looks like it doesn't kick in until 5th level at the earliest, so nothing immediately necessary anyway.

Faolchu

Quote from: Ebb on September 30, 2013, 07:07:56 PM
Looks like most of the rules are here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/harrower

Also looks like it doesn't kick in until 5th level at the earliest, so nothing immediately necessary anyway.

Thanks for that. I did a search on the PRD, but couldn't find an entry for Harrower.

The basics are that you need to have a Harrow deck on hand, because it requires card draws for some of the special abilities. Also, the Harrowing Feat can be taken at 1st level, so the card drawing mechanic would kick in from the start. If the GM's are okay with that, I'd be happy to play one.
No.

bigwad73

Trazinian, 4th level Wizard (universalist)  Staff

Traz is a very studious fellow.  He claims to know something about most fields of knowledge, specializing in arcane pursuits and alchemy.  He's from a craftsman family in a small village in Varisia, and his training had been as an apprentice to a trio of mages that explored ruins and underground complexes. Eventually, he struck out on his own, but he discovered that he's not really cut out to do heavy duty dungeon crawling.

So, instead, he provides his knowledge and abilities to those who do plan to explore dungeons and other dangerous places:  he makes magic items, gives advice, and evaluates items brought back from those places.  He prides himself on his trustworthiness, and his wide-spread knowledge, and likes his position with the guild, serving those who seek danger and knowledge and treasure.
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

kckolbe

I asssume drawbacks work in the same way as flaws from Unearthed Arcana?  If so, I am okay with them.

Countdown (and everyone, really: Why would you char commit to the guild? 

Zaer: Sounds good, but bear in mind that missions aren't guaranteed.

Faolchu:  Seems workable, though I would get rid of the bonus for alignment, both to limit the upside and simplify the dice rolling when drawing cards.  Also considering toning down Tower of Strength, which could currently end up doubling the amount of damage done.

Bigwad, our chars seem very similar.  Mine is an alchemist with a business sense as well. 

By the way, staff members may still begin with 25 points if all four levels are in an NPC class, to include the UA versions: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm

Intro Thread

Countdown0

Ah. I'll go ahead and add some more elaborating on that now :D

*edit* There we go. Do you want us to post actual character sheets, like from "plothook.net" or some other site?
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

kckolbe

I personally prefer myth-weavers, but yes.  Leave languages blank for now.

Intro Thread

Faolchu

Okay, after some deliberation, I thin I'll go with an Aasimar Druid, Level 1. I'd want to use the Agathion-blooded variant Aasimar from the 'Blood of Angels' supplement.

+2 Con
+2 Cha
Skill Modifiers: +2 to Handle Animal, Survival
Spell-Like Ability: Summon Nature's Ally II 1/day as a spell-like ability

Native Outsider, Darkvision, and Celestial Resistance as regular Aasimar
No.

kckolbe

Seems like that would have a level adjustment. 

Intro Thread

Faolchu

I can't find a level adjustment listed in either the Blood of Angels book or the Advanced Race Guide.

If there is, then I'll choose something else, no problem :)
No.

Florence

I'll post up some info for Meredith tommo- ... -looks at clock- Today.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.