News:

Main Menu

Dyslexia

Started by Elvi, February 13, 2006, 04:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvi

Some of you may know, many others that I play with don't, but I have some degree of dyslexia.
I am normally quite good at spotting the mistakes I make and manage to correct them, but I have noticed several of the little buggers sneaking through.

So, if you get the odd word, with all the letters there, but in the wrong order, (like wehn, adn, etc.), try not to cringe too much please?

Actually, on that note, those suffering from dyslexia tend to be quite artistic and have good imaginations, are there any others with this infliction on the site?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

strangely made

Not me, I'm just a crap speller, but my spell check camel helps me out when he's awake .

Max

I didn't know that.  Had seen the odd spelling, but then, have seen a lot worse.  Just figured it was a typo, and I make lots of those myself.
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Elvi

Oh I do them as well, it's the odd words, all the letters are there, but in the wrong order. 

Max

I don't know how many times I had to go back and correct the.  Always want to type it teh.  Maybe that is how it should be spelled?  :)
"Are you into whips and chains too?"
"No, chainsaws."  (just kidding)

Ons and offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4738.new#new

Lilian

I might be dyslexic, but never diagnosed with it. Donno. Make the same mistakes but.. worse. Sometimes I'll type a word that has a phonetical identicalness to the one I actually want, or sometimes I'll type something completely.. wierd. A random word out of nowhere. o.o;

Elvi

*laughs*
You mean the where the hell did that come from word, that just pops out of nowhere?
Yeah I have plenty of those laying around.....

Lilian

Elvi

Well dislexic word of the day is .......thoguh......*grins

Lilian

-Dances around in linens- Tho-guh tho-guh tho-guh!

Elvi

*blinks*

I've been quite good lately, the usual stuff, that I do, odd letters in the wrong place etc.....most of them picked up before I post.

But I have just managed to do one that even I couldn't work out.....

I have just written Crash Test Dummies.
It actually came out as Cash Eats Dummies.

So hey......I missed the 'r' in crash....not a problem, but EATS? where the hell did THAT come from?

Lilian

Because cash DOES eat dummies.  Cash can consume the unintelligent but not in a masticatory manner.

Elvi

*laughs*
True, but not what I was supposed to write was it? 

Lilian

The mind functions in mysteeeeerious waaaays... -wiggles fingers-

Mistiq

I know I am not Dyslexic, but still I make that mistake. The word switching, but that might be just because I am thinking so fast and trying to multitask, listen to T.V., and still type. That is probably why.

Swedish Steel

I've started to think I might have it. Been mixing my letters like a bartender on speed lately. Both my father and sister has it, so who knows?
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Lilian

I pull what Elvi does a lot. Sometimes it's a phonetical switch, sometimes it's one of those "What the heck?"'s from left field..

Elvi

Quote from: Swedish Steel on May 01, 2006, 07:58:57 PM
I've started to think I might have it. Been mixing my letters like a bartender on speed lately. Both my father and sister has it, so who knows?

It does run in families, all of us, apart from my mother, have dyslexia in greater or lesser forms.
My father and two brothers being the worst, myself and my sister as well, but not as bad.
My daughter has inheritted it also, but now? Well she's doing fine, it is easily recognised nowadays and steps have been taken to help her at an early age.

Mind you, I still managed to pass my degree.....*grins* 

robitusinz

Heh, at least you can pass off dyslexia as typos (and mind you, there are some horrid typers out there).  Try having ADD, and getting down about halfway into a post, only to get distracted with something else, come back, and realize you now have no idea what you were intending to type.  Or, even better, ending your post without finishing the last sentence.  LOL, and the cream is when you forget, and keep writing one huge, run-on sentence, with about 12,000 commas, then you read back, and realize that you've used the same words like 3 times.  It comes out like, "He reaches out for her, then grabs her by the collar and leads her while they dance to the sweet music, when suddenly the music stops and he kisses her sweetly while placing a hand on her shoulder and leading her back to the table where they sit and he looks into her sweet eyes."

I post fast, but sometimes, I gotta stop and re-read what I write, for fear that whoever I'm writing with notices how silly
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Ellyssa

Quote from: robitusinz on May 12, 2006, 01:06:32 PM
Heh, at least you can pass off dyslexia as typos (and mind you, there are some horrid typers out there).  Try having ADD, and getting down about halfway into a post, only to get distracted with something else, come back, and realize you now have no idea what you were intending to type.  Or, even better, ending your post without finishing the last sentence.  LOL, and the cream is when you forget, and keep writing one huge, run-on sentence, with about 12,000 commas, then you read back, and realize that you've used the same words like 3 times.  It comes out like, "He reaches out for her, then grabs her by the collar and leads her while they dance to the sweet music, when suddenly the music stops and he kisses her sweetly while placing a hand on her shoulder and leading her back to the table where they sit and he looks into her sweet eyes."

I post fast, but sometimes, I gotta stop and re-read what I write, for fear that whoever I'm writing with notices how silly

Heh heh, I sympathize.. that's me in a nutshell too! Not the ADD, but those 8-line sentences are the worst things, I tell ya. :)

Swedish Steel

I hate it when I use the same word to many times, and then I can't come up with a good replacement word. Buggs the hell out of me.

On Off page:

Elvi

Sometimes, I find the long sentence had it's advantage in this type of writing and have been told that I use it to good effect.

However, my posting consist of reading the previous post, ansewering as quickly as possible and not thinking about typos . spleeing and grammer. Forgetting the idea of sentences and just letting the whole thing flow out of me , I them go back and reread and edit, making sentences shorter where need ed and then changing words if the need it.

So what happens, is that the example above becomes:

However, when I post, I read the previous post and answer as quickly as possible.
I don't worry or think about typos, spelling, grammar or puntuation.
I let the whole thing flow out, then I will go back, read it through and edit, making sentences shorter where needed and changing words or spelling as I go.

It works for me, better than anything else and I can now do it quite quickly.
Though at times, I still get annoyed when see that I have missed yet another silly error and have to edit/modify my post.

Violet Maui

I find myself typing too fast for my mind to keep up, and I'll type a word that wasn't even suppose to be there. I mean, how would I get 'berry' from the word 'fingers'. O_o;;; I seriously need to either type slower or get more sleep.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Offs & Ons :: PM if interested!

Swedish Steel

Hehe, yeah, you aren't always that easy to follow.  ;)

On Off page:

Violet Maui

O_o Who, me? Yes, I tend to jump from topic to topic. >.>;;;
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Offs & Ons :: PM if interested!