Burning Bibles (And not from who you'd think)

Started by All Powerful Nateboi, October 18, 2009, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

Didn't the Catholic Bible come before the King James?  If I remember right, the King James version was made because King James wanted to divorce his wife and the current Bible of the time didn't allow for that.  According to that little sentence that says it's a horrible, unforgivable sin to change the word of God, King James is the one who is in Hell.   

No, I don't think he thought it through.  They never do.  Extremist morons like him have such flawed logic that poking holes in it is way too easy. 

Inkidu

Quote from: Chaotic Angel on October 20, 2009, 08:39:19 PM
Didn't the Catholic Bible come before the King James?  If I remember right, the King James version was made because King James wanted to divorce his wife and the current Bible of the time didn't allow for that.  According to that little sentence that says it's a horrible, unforgivable sin to change the word of God, King James is the one who is in Hell.   

No, I don't think he thought it through.  They never do.  Extremist morons like him have such flawed logic that poking holes in it is way too easy. 

Err... wrong British monarch. That was Henry the VIII (I am, I am), and that wasn't so much to do with the Bible as the Church. The Catholics don't believe in divorce and Henry wanted a son and thought it the fault of his wives. So he created the Church of England, the head of which was he.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Serephino

He killed his wives.  He had them all beheaded.  That was how he was able to get married over and over again. 

Oniya

First one was divorced
Second (Anne Boleyn) was beheaded
Third one died
Fourth was divorced
Fifth was beheaded
Sixth one survived (because Henry died).

(One of the few things I remember from taking an elective in British History)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Morven

King James was the sponsor of the first officially sanctioned (by the British Crown) translation of the bible into English.  The Catholic Bible, the Vulgate, was in Latin.  One of the big things about the Reformation was that the Protestants did not believe that someone else, a priest, should stand between a man and his God.  Unfortunately, since there were no approved English Bible translations, and not everyone who could read English could read Latin all that well, this was a fine principle without practical use, since they'd need someone who could read Latin to translate and interpret it.

There's nothing so specially holy about the King James translation; it's just that people love the archaic language.  There are plenty of places where its translation is considered questionable.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Juicy

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 20, 2009, 09:57:53 AM
It's not a BAD place, just stay on the main roads. :D

God I would LOVE to have some stuff from home. Cheerwine, crispy Neeses, and carolina style bbq.

It's not bad at all! You just can't go out into the "country"

LOL<3 Cheerwine and you can't forget sundrop.

and all the cute southern boys.

RubySlippers

http://www.amazinggracebaptistchurchkjv.com/gpage45.html

They actually did it as far as I know. This is the ministry website if your curious about them.