Adventurer's Guild (5th Edition DND)

Started by Lyku, December 12, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freeko

Ok, I need someone to help me perform magic then. How do I take this mess of a character sheet and transform it into a variant human cleric? I got all the stats and skills part on the left side of the sheet and the details (though I still have no idea what a background is or why it exists at all) on the top of the sheet.

I guess this is worth taking one more stab at since it probably just involves me just not being 100% bullheaded about it. Though yes, I probably do need someone to quite literally hold my hand through the start to the finish because that is just how I learn something new. Once I see it done once, then I am fine. Until I see it once, complete frustration when I cannot just figure it out on my own.

(I will be unavailable for the weekend, so hopefully someone would be so kind as to pm me. I might be able to get on here and there, but I have no guarantees of what I am looking at for any time available after the next 10 minutes when I set out upon my journey.)

Lyku

Oh the book I provided, backgrounds begin on page 36.   Deep breathes, it will be okay. :)
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

freeko

I think at this point, I will just try to look at this again on Monday and hope for the best. I have been a nervous wreck this whole week leading into the first convention of the year for me.

Now that I set off on my journey, would it be unreasonable to ask that my character be in the out of play zone for the weekend? If I remember reading it right the inactive characters gain xp passively?

Well, in the interests of not double posting, I think I am about to embark again on my journey to make a 5e character. Much rage to be had I think, but here goes.

FarFetched

Quote from: Lyku on December 13, 2015, 11:34:51 PM
I also spoke with Sherlock, as some of people know, had to close the SGA game due to personal reasons.  I have decided to allow players who were in this to bring over their characters if they want.  All characters were level one, but it would allow them to come with the XP and the experiences they had.  I am doing this as I know some people wanted to see how those characters would progress. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOnnI-RN3i4

...Still taking people?

Lyku

This game is open enrollment.  We have groups near the end or at the end of their first quests, so jumping in is not a problem.  Just get your sheet on here for approval and once it is okayed, put it in the char vault.  If you are using your SGA character, just toss me the link for it.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

freeko

https://mega.nz/#!JVBnwKRa!JzjRfxs5GCIUxjISdIF_eKS9ZhgtcqaX4m94s1H3rac

Well, there it is. My first draft of what my character might end up being. It is missing things, like her spells. I can do that later but I think once I see that this first sheet is not a disaster on some level I can at least feel that something finally went right with this..

Lyku

I'll review it when I take break in about 45 mins.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: freeko on February 09, 2016, 09:37:46 AM
https://mega.nz/#!JVBnwKRa!JzjRfxs5GCIUxjISdIF_eKS9ZhgtcqaX4m94s1H3rac

Well, there it is. My first draft of what my character might end up being. It is missing things, like her spells. I can do that later but I think once I see that this first sheet is not a disaster on some level I can at least feel that something finally went right with this..

For what it's worth, I think she looks solid. her traits clearly show an interesting basic personality to build off of (and one my character in particular would make a good foil for). The only potential mechanical issue I see is that you missed her background equipment (i think).

As for spells, don't agonize too much. For cantrips, grab Sacred Flame for sure (You WANt that spell, its the only real cleric magical ranged attack and it does Radiant damage, which is one of the two best damage types and incredibly useful at low levels) and one other like Thaumaturgy. For 1st-level spells, whatever works best for you , though Cure Wounds and Bless are always good choices. Also, I don't see her Domain on there anywhere. Don't neglect that, it's a very important choice.

freeko

Yeah, there are a few things missing. I wanted to make sure the basic elements of the character are sound before I moved on to adding in the secondary gear like the prayer book, 15 gp and the rest of the background gear.

What I am trying to figure out though, is just what the heck goes in the 5 spots down at the bottom in the middle of the sheet? They look like SP, CP, EP, GP, and PP.

I think I get 3 cantrips and 2 spells, that was the other thing I wanted to ask about.

AndyZ

Copper, Silver, Electrum, Gold, and Platinum.  If you went Acolyte, you have 15gp.  I haven't checked your sheet, though.  Having breathing troubles thanks to family again.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

tyr4n02r

Thats your list of currency: Copper (1/100th), Silver (1/10th), Electrum (1/2), Gold (1), Platinum (10)

Ninja'd
I apparently insulted Dicebot's mother, and it still remembers... you've been warned...
Mainly missing on Tuesdays, sorry.
Intro!  My Ons and Offs

freeko

Oh, well that actually makes sense now. I assume that I just put 15 in the GP slot then to account for the 15 gp that my character would start with?

Is there a way to add the spells I would get onto my sheet without having to use that 3 page version?

FarFetched

Quote from: Lyku on February 09, 2016, 07:39:20 AM
This game is open enrollment.  We have groups near the end or at the end of their first quests, so jumping in is not a problem.  Just get your sheet on here for approval and once it is okayed, put it in the char vault.  If you are using your SGA character, just toss me the link for it.
Here's the link to it.

Player:FarFetchedCharacter Name:Charles Grimley
Class:Disney Villain DruidLevel:1
Race:HumanBackground:"Noble"
Alignment:Chaotic NeutralAge:26
Height:5'8Weight:140 lbs
Experience:75 EXPDeity:Locust

~Abilities~
STR8 (-1)DEX14 (+2)CON15 (+2)
INT14 (+1) [SV + 2]WIS18 (+3) [SV + 2]CHA10 (+0)

HP: 10/10AC:15
Speed:30 ft.Initiative:+2
Proficiency Bonus:+2Passive Perception:14

~Weapons and Magic~
Weapon Attacks

Weapon:ScimitarType:SlashingRange:MeleeAttack Bonus: (+4)Damage:1d6
|
Spells

Spellcasting Ability:WisdomSpell Save DC:13 (8+2+3) Spell Attack Bonus:+5 (+2[Prof] +3[Wis])

Cantrip:Druidcraft

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Whispering to the spirits of nature, you create one of the following effects within range:

You create a tiny, harmless sensory effect that predicts what the weather will be at your location for the next 24 hours. The effect might manifest as a golden orb for clear skies, a cloud for rain, falling snowflakes for snow, and so on. This effect persists for 1 round.

You instantly make a flower blossom, a seed pod open, or a leaf bud bloom.

You create an instantaneous, harmless sensory effect, such as falling leaves, a puff of wind, the sound of a small animal, or the faint odor of skunk. The effect must fit in a 5-foot cube.

You instantly light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire.
|
Cantrip: Thorn Whip

Components: V, S, M (the stem o f a plant with thorns)
Duration: Instantaneous

You create a long, vine-like whip covered in thorns that lashes out at your command toward a creature in range. Make a melee spell attack against the target. If the attack hits, the creature takes 1d6 piercing damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, you pull the creature up to 10 feet closer to you.

This spell’s damage increases by 1d6 w hen you reach 5th level (2d6), 11th level (3d6), and 17th level (4d6).

Level 1: Thunderwave

Range: Self (15-foot cube)
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn’t pushed. In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell’s effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.
|
Level 1: Animal Friendship

Components: V, S, M (a morsel o f food)
Duration: 24 hours

This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no harm. Choose a beast that you can see within range. It must see and hear you. If the beast’s Intelligence is 4 or higher, the spell fails. Otherwise, the beast must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the spell’s duration. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spells ends. At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot o f 2nd level or higher, you can affect one additional beast for each slot level above 1st.

|
Level 1: Entangle

Range: 90 feet
Components: V,S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Grasping weeds and vines sprout frame the ground in a 20-foot square starting from a point within range. For the duration, these plants turn the ground in the area into difficult terrain. A creature in the area when you cast the spell must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the entangling plants until the spell ends. A creature restrained by the plants can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, it frees itself. When the spell ends, the conjured plants wilt away.
|
Level 1: Faerie Fire
Casting Time: I action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Each object in a 20-foot cube within range is outlined in blue, green, or violet light (your choice). Any creature in the area when the spell is cast is also outlined in light if
it fails a Dexterity saving throw. For lhe duration, objects
and affected creatures shed dim light in a 10.fool radius.
Any attack roll against an affected creature or object has advantage if the attacker can see it, and the affected creature or object can't benefit from being invisible.

~Skills, Proficiencies, Items~
Skills

LanguagesCommon,Sylvan
STR
Athletics(-1)
DEX
Acrobatics(+2)Sleight of Hand(+2)Stealth:(+2)
INT
Arcana:(+1)History:(+3) (Prof)Investigation:(+1)Nature:(+4)(Prof)Religion:(+1)
WIS
Animal Handling:(+5)(Prof)Insight:(+3)Medicine:(+3)Perception:(+3)Survival:(+3)
CHA
Deception:(+0)Intimidation:(+0)Performance:(+0)Persuasion:(+2) (Prof)
|
Proficiencies
Tool Proficiencies:Herbalism Kit,
Weapon Proficiencies:Clubs, Daggers, Darts, Javelins, Maces,
Quarterstaffs, Scimitars, Sickles, Slings & Spears
Armor ProficienciesLight Armor, Medium Armor, Shields
|
Equipment & Currency

Faded Fine Clothing, Dingy Scroll of Pedigree, Wooden Signet Ring,
Leather Armor, Explorer's Pack, Saddle,
Rotting Totem (druidic focus), Wooden Shield, Rusty Scimitar (1d6, Finesse, light),
Sickly Donkey

Trinket: A tiny silver icon of a raven

~Currency and Treasure~
25 GP, 5 sp, 8 cp

~Features~
Position Of "Privilege"
Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member o f the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.
|
Druidic
You know Druidic, the secret language of druids. You can speak the language and use it to leave hidden messages. You and others who know this language automatically spot such a message. Others spot the message’s presence with a successful DC 15 Wisdom (Perception) check but can’t decipher it without magic.

~Additional~
Background

Charles was often picked on as a kid. His father was a Noble, whose failed merchant exploits had reduced his family's treasury from one of stunning opulence, to barely getting by. Charles always had appeared sickly, and that made him the focus of quite a lot of bullying.

Especially from Jenkins Anderson.

One fateful evening, Jenkins Anderson chased young Charles out into the swampland outside their village. Charles tripped on a root hidden beneath a bog, and fell headlong into the mud. His hand brushed something. It seemed like a stick of some sort- rotting; filled with holes. When the bully found him, Charles panicked, and whacked him with the rotting stick. Charles himself claimed that it almost glowed for a moment.

It didn't do anything...

At first.

Jenkins proceeded to beat young Charles up, leaving him beaten and bruised in the mire. That very night though... something happened to Jenkins. By morning, red beetles were found everywhere in his room. Jenkin's face was swollen, and bulging with eggs laid by the insects that very night. The boy was permanently, and horrible disfigured, and word of Charles's involvement with it began to spread around town. Most kids, and even some full-grown adults tended to leave him alone after that. It was the beginning of Charles's obsession with bugs, vermin, and Locust.

As Charles's attunement with the swamp grew, unrest began to settle in the town. In the end, his obsession proved too much for them. The local lord visited Charles's father, and demanded that he be sent away. Charles was furious, but could do nothing. With a small amount of aid from the Lord, his father had him sent to a boarding school in a nearby city. Upon arrival, Charles found himself drawn to the city's feted sewers, as if some force were calling him. It was there that he met cultists of the god Locust, who recognized Charles for his gifts, and claimed he was blessed. While Charles pursued an education in the city above, the Locust Cult took young Charles under their wing, and taught him their ways.

Years later, Charles is a devout follower of the Cult of the Locust. Shrines to the lesser god can be found in many major cities across the planes, hidden beneath the streets in sewer systems. The cult of the Locust promotes bringing man down to the level of the insects in which they thrive amongst, so all may live on an equal playing field. Their mantra:"The sewers are made for our kind, filthy tunnels for a filthy race. The rats and snakes and bugs are our equals, embrace our sisters."

Recently, Charles had finally convinced his father to use whatever paltry fortune that may have been left to his family to have him sent to the SGA. He dreams of gaining the ability to have Locust's will be done, and to bring equality to all things.
|
Mannerisms & Appearence
Charles Grimlee is a rather sinister slip of a man, with a pale complexion and furtive eyes. Every inch of him screams an unhealthy obsession with the occult, bugs, and spirits in general. His hair is long, straight, and pitch black. His clothes tend towards royal purple and look similar to a noble's, though in reality they're just shoddy knockoffs.  His speaking is rather faint, and his words are spoken ominous whispers in a slightly falsetto tone.

Charles is strangely unphased by most things he encounters, tending to disregard bigger events for the smallest things, like a bug he may see crawling on a wall. Even more oddly, and perhaps because of his Diety, Bugs seem to collect around Charles wherever he goes. He doesn't seem to mind. It all adds up to a very unsettling atmosphere around the young man.

Despite this unsettling continence, it's not uncommon for Charles to look out for the little guy when he can. Even though he is, strictly speaking, a "noble," he has a large dislike for the wealthy- in particular those who were born into money
|

schnookums

Been watching this thread for a bit, think I might want to toss my hat in the ring for this game.

Lyku

FarFetched... Charles is accepted.  That being said, his stats are below the spread that I offered my players for their characters.  If you'd like, you can choose to readjust your stats for him. 

Schookums, get a sheet posted here and once approved, you'll be good to go in the main thread.

freeko

Lyku

In all honesty, between my work PC which I cant download that file onto and my XBox, I haven't been able to view it in its current form.  I am going to be looking at it on a diff PC when I get out of work.  It won't be until after 3 pm.  I can review it sooner if it is in a format like Myth Weavers or the format that displays the text in a post on here, like have been used above.

ChefofDreams

I love playing 5e, do you have space for another character? If so what does the group need and what can I not be?
Slowly it burns.

Sain

5th ed is awesome in that it does not need any specific roles so you can make anything you want :D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

ChefofDreams

I might make a dwarf monk then :) I will work on a character tonight and post him tomorrow if that is ok.
Slowly it burns.

freeko

Quote from: Lyku on February 10, 2016, 08:30:32 AM
In all honesty, between my work PC which I cant download that file onto and my XBox, I haven't been able to view it in its current form.  I am going to be looking at it on a diff PC when I get out of work.  It won't be until after 3 pm.  I can review it sooner if it is in a format like Myth Weavers or the format that displays the text in a post on here, like have been used above.

What is mythwaver or whatever its called? I got stuck working so when you can get to I would appreciate being able to finish this thing off finally.

tyr4n02r

http://www.myth-weavers.com

Free site, char sheets plus forum for play-by-post games. I always use it for my 3.5/PF games
I apparently insulted Dicebot's mother, and it still remembers... you've been warned...
Mainly missing on Tuesdays, sorry.
Intro!  My Ons and Offs

FarFetched

Quote from: Lyku on February 10, 2016, 07:52:57 AM
FarFetched... Charles is accepted.  That being said, his stats are below the spread that I offered my players for their characters.  If you'd like, you can choose to readjust your stats for him. 
Yey~! I'll fix those up when I get to a computer.

freeko

Quote from: tyr4n02r on February 10, 2016, 02:36:34 PM
http://www.myth-weavers.com

Free site, char sheets plus forum for play-by-post games. I always use it for my 3.5/PF games

Does it help in any way to decipher 5e for me at all? Like if I forget something and the like?

Zaer Darkwail

The sheets in there do some of the math for you, you just need type in stats, write down profiency bonus and then click little boxes for skills and saves where profiency bonus applies to.