Interest Check - Magic: the Gathering Spinoff / Themed Game

Started by Wispyr, January 30, 2016, 12:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wispyr

Greetings, writers of E!

I'm currently working on a new project for a group game. What I've come up with is a game that draws a lot of inspiration and basic ideas from the Magic: the Gathering (MtG) universe.

This game would draw many elements from the MtG game, such as cards and mechanical application of abilities. However this would take place in a unique setting that only resembles the MtG universe. While a great many ideas (many worlds, planes, dimensions, etc) may appear in both the idea for this game is not to recreate MtG but rather spin our own epic tale of magic that crosses the worlds and is told in a chapter by chapter style. The big hold up is that I would like to preserve some of the game itself, and in order to do that I feel this game would be best run as a system game. It would be using a completely unique system that I create from scratch for this setting that focuses on giving you the feel of actually playing one of the plainswalkers (or, as they're called in this setting, Worldweavers).

This is where the interest check comes in. I have no doubt that the theme will attract its fair share of people, but numbers tend to scare people off. I don't want anyone to be afraid, but I also acknowledge that it happens. To that end I don't want to sink a bunch of effort in setting such a system up and formatting the idea to make it work if there is not enough interest to back the effort on my part.

I know that it can be difficult to know if you're interested in a system without knowing the system, but as anyone who knows me can attest I will stand by and help anyone learn anything they need until we've gotten it right. Also the systems I create tend to be as streamlined as possible while still covering the aspects that I feel they need to. Since I, obviously, don't have a fully flesh out system to put on display here yet, let's take a moment to talk about the things you would be realistically tracking in the system to give you a general scope of what you'd be interested in.

• Hit Points: Players would be responsible for tracking a fluctuating number of hit points during game play. These hit points should never be more than double digits (between 1-30 in most circumstances). They will be added to and subtracted from based on the circumstances of the game during combat and would be tracked in the post header, needing to be updated per post.
  • Mana: As a key element of the game, the amount of energy that a character has access to. This would be broken up into five individual types: Red, Blue, White, Black, Green. Each of these stats will be tracked like Hit Points and be a number that is x of x, represented as (x/x). The first number will fluctuate a great deal during game play and likely represent the most numerical upkeep that a player needs to deal with during the entire game. The secondary number can (and would) change, but much less frequently - as the character gains power.
  • Your "Deck": If you've played D&D then you've probably dealt with a spell list or two. A characters "deck" - their prepared spells, in essence - represents the abilities that they bring to the table during a - currently undetermined - time frame that they can cast from. These are constructed out of spells known and pulled off of freely when playing.
  • Action Points: To keep balance in check, this mechanic would represent card draw more or less. This keeps someone from front loading all of their power every post, for instance. These are consumed as used and slowly regenerated each post.
  • Creatures: By far the most complicated part of the game. Creatures will have mechanics that allow them to take damage for a player and interact with the world, free of the casters action pool. They'll also have their own hit point and offense scores - but no action pool, deck or mana.

While I realize this is a very general list, it should help shed light on what you'd be dealing with. Many of the games deeper mechanics (such as "the stack") will be removed to keep the game flowing easily for players. There will be no dice rolling, and largely your posting should be free to determine the actions of the character - with some select exceptions because of the nature of some game effects. Some other things will be converted to a more traditional RPG style - such as artifacts, which will represent equipment for the character. Additionally characters won't be completely powerless aside from their deck, they'll have the natural ability to defend themselves without creatures at their disposal so they aren't helpless ducks if they're low - or out - of mana.

I believe that at this point I would like to see seven genuinely interested parties who would like to see this happen, before I would be comfortable writing the system and getting the information in order to make this work. Ideally these seven players would also help me flesh out the system as I work on it over the next couple of weeks (days? who knows with me) - by voicing their comments and concerns and participating in the world building so that we can hopefully accommodate everyone's needs and try to filter out and stay away from any major issues that might deter someone from playing.

Thank you for the look, and hopefully, the interest! Looking forward to seeing thoughts on this idea.

Shameless Self Promotion

Does this sound great? Do you love the concept, my work, but don't think you want to deal with a system? Well you're in luck! I actually run another game here on E that is a lot of fun, and filled with some exceptionally talented writers - and not a system game at all. Better yet it's actively recruiting right now, and you can get in on the action! Do you like Atlantis? Do you like Post-Apocalyptic? What about science-fantasy? What about monsters, magic and chaos?! Well you're in luck. Check out...

[Pandemonium] Recruitment Thread
[Pandemonium] Out of Character
[Pandemonium] Whiteout - The original in game thread, be sure to check out the last page for some really epic writing all around!
[Pandemonium] Adak - The players have moved to Alaska and new threats await them and their newly awakened souls... Come join them in the heart racing, thrilling, edge-of-your-seat story telling adventure that'll keep you guessing every step of the way.

It appears that sufficient interest exists for such an idea, and as such the information and development of this game can be watched, tracked and contributed to in the above links!

Crash

I have thought of doing similar with FATE Accelerated for a system, but actually make it the MtG Multiverse since there are plenty of planes to deal with and can easily make up your own.  Anyway good luck with it.  You run really good games so I am sure it will be fun.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Amarlo

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

schnookums

Color Me interested! (Get it? Color? I'll see myself out....)

Angie

I am interested, since I'm playing magic more these days, though I'm wondering if I would just really want to play Chandra instead of doing anything original :P
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Mysterica

I'd be willing to give this a shot.  It sounds interesting enough to be certain.

Wispyr

Quote from: Crash on January 30, 2016, 12:59:05 PM
I have thought of doing similar with FATE Accelerated for a system, but actually make it the MtG Multiverse since there are plenty of planes to deal with and can easily make up your own.  Anyway good luck with it.  You run really good games so I am sure it will be fun.
FATE was something that I considered originally, but ultimately decided that I wanted do something more unique and hopefully less bulky... Plus I needed (wanted?) it to reflect the game a little more than I felt like I could accurately emulate using that.

Thank you, for the positive vote though! I really appreciate it.

Quote from: Amarlo on January 30, 2016, 08:21:36 PM
-Inserts a tentative interest slip into his slot-
-Tallies one of seven-

Quote from: schnookums on January 30, 2016, 09:49:42 PM
Color Me interested! (Get it? Color? I'll see myself out....)
I snickered. -Tallies two of seven- Glad to see you're interested!

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 30, 2016, 10:07:33 PM
I am interested, since I'm playing magic more these days, though I'm wondering if I would just really want to play Chandra instead of doing anything original :P
-Tallies up three of seven- She seems to be popular! But I mean... Liliana... But maybe that's just cause I'm a black player. :p

Quote from: Mysterica on January 30, 2016, 11:12:48 PM
I'd be willing to give this a shot.  It sounds interesting enough to be certain.
-Tallies up four of seven- Awesome to have your interest :D.. It's certainly my hope to make it interesting!

freeko

I would like to be in on this as well if you would have me. As a former Pro Tour player, this might give me what I have been looking for. A different spin on agame that I have been playing forthe better part of 20 years now.

Wispyr

Quote from: freeko on January 31, 2016, 07:13:38 AM
I would like to be in on this as well if you would have me. As a former Pro Tour player, this might give me what I have been looking for. A different spin on agame that I have been playing forthe better part of 20 years now.
-Tallies up five of seven- Who am I to turn away a fellow Pro Tourer(erererer)?! :P

That's sorta my hope with this, really. Is to take the things I love about the game, strip away some of the bulk, splash in the writing... Get some awesome RPG going on... All in all, I think anyone who is into the game will be into my vision of this game.

VonDoom

Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Crash

Quote from: VonDoom on January 31, 2016, 07:55:26 AM
Why settle on just the one?

Interested.

Steals image.  Very nice.

Oh hell count me in.  I can go for almost any color grouping so I will see what others are interested and fill in as needed.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Angie

Quote from: VonDoom on January 31, 2016, 07:55:26 AM
Why settle on just the one?

Interested.

I um...I...I'll be in my bunk.

Quote from: Wispyr on January 31, 2016, 07:37:10 AM
-Tallies up five of seven- Who am I to turn away a fellow Pro Tourer(erererer)?! :P

Oh hell, I'm dealing with Pro Tourers...I know it'll have no impact on E, but it's a little scary regardless...

schnookums

Choice is so easy. Monored mage whose only spell is Earthbind.

Why only earthbind?

Cataclysmic Archangel

I haven't played Magic in ages.  Like... Kingdoms of Something Oriental was my last set, I think.  Ages ago.  But the mechanics still make sense, and who doesn't like throwing fireballs around.  Might be worth something to try starting up around here again.

summoner2183

Used to play Magic before with a friend... might be interested in this as long someone can teach me the game mechanics that are used in this particular rp/

Angie

I am a little curious what happens when a Worldweaver (as we're calling them) runs out of HP. Planeswalkers are 'banished', would the same happen to us, perhaps? Or we're knocked out? Or we could pull a Secret World and have it where our souls just retreat to a sanctuary of some kind and rebuild our bodies-in that case, our enemies can take advantage of this and knock us out in order to get us out of the way for a while (which actually happens in Secret World-only game I know of that writes the resurrection into the plot!)

ZameRagues

Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Wispyr

Quote from: Crash on January 31, 2016, 11:59:09 AM
Steals image.  Very nice.

Oh hell count me in.  I can go for almost any color grouping so I will see what others are interested and fill in as needed.
-Tallies six of seven- Bwhaha!

Quote from: schnookums on January 31, 2016, 04:59:59 PM
Choice is so easy. Monored mage whose only spell is Earthbind.

Why only earthbind?

An excellent choice!

Quote from: Arcannyx on January 31, 2016, 05:36:49 PM
I haven't played Magic in ages.  Like... Kingdoms of Something Oriental was my last set, I think.  Ages ago.  But the mechanics still make sense, and who doesn't like throwing fireballs around.  Might be worth something to try starting up around here again.
Sounds like...-Marks seven of seven- Annnd.. I think you're talking about Kamigawa? Excellent block.

Quote from: summoner2183 on January 31, 2016, 05:55:07 PM
Used to play Magic before with a friend... might be interested in this as long someone can teach me the game mechanics that are used in this particular rp/
Once they mechanics are in place... I'd be happy to teach you, so worry not! :D

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 31, 2016, 07:07:59 PM
I am a little curious what happens when a Worldweaver (as we're calling them) runs out of HP. Planeswalkers are 'banished', would the same happen to us, perhaps? Or we're knocked out? Or we could pull a Secret World and have it where our souls just retreat to a sanctuary of some kind and rebuild our bodies-in that case, our enemies can take advantage of this and knock us out in order to get us out of the way for a while (which actually happens in Secret World-only game I know of that writes the resurrection into the plot!)
This is, one of the big still undecided factors on my end. Of course death is my favorite option... But it isn't very crowd friendly >.>

Likely it'll be something along the lines of the last option - it'll have some "minor" consequences, and be a temporary removal of sorts. Details of this to come.

Notes!
Alright, so it looks like there may be enough interest here for it to get some love and attention by the good ol' noggin... So I'll start working on it. Like I said though, I want everyone to keep an eye on it and watch it unfold, give some discussion as we go (hopefully) so that we can appeal to as much as possible. So I'll drop two links here...

Because my brain does how it does... I already have a good solid many details mostly worked out, I just need to translate them to paper and trim them down to the most simple form I can. So since I'm free everywhere else I'll probably start working on this tonight.

We can keep bouncing this thread a little bit with some general discussion to draw awareness for the game, but the actual recruitment post won't come until details are finalized and what not.

Quote from: ZameRagues on January 31, 2016, 08:36:32 PM
*throws interest hat into the ring and watches*
OH GOD ITS A HAT, EVERYONE RUN!

Xanatos

Sup Wisp.

I was curious, are 'cards/spells' drawn from the deck, done so randomly? You mentioned no dice, and I think you referred to pulling from the deck freely, but I wanted to make sure. Having that random feel would certainly harken to MtG, but would also bring with it that frustration when getting something nod needed - that we all know and hate. lol.

Angie

I'm feeling more that the Deck, from my reading, will be more like a Spell List a'la D&D.

ThisOneGal

Color me interested. I'm not very familiar with Magic (mostly just watched other people play it during high school), but the setting seems cool.

I'm mostly interested in Myr and Arcbound stuff, mostly 'cause that's all I'm familiar with.  :P
(I'm hoping someone else/the GM can point in in the direction of non-creature stuff I'd be interested in)

Links, 'cause I can't figure out how to escape the ']' in the URLs. :/

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[myr]
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/search/default.aspx?name=+[arcbound]

EDIT: Eldrazi look cool too, I guess, but I don't know anything about them apart from that.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[eldrazi]

EDIT: More Myr.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&name=+![%22Myr%22]&subtype=+[%22Myr%22]
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=|[%22Myr%22]+![%22Myriad%22]&name=+![%22Myr%22]

Wispyr

Quote from: Xanatos on January 31, 2016, 09:38:21 PM
Sup Wisp.

I was curious, are 'cards/spells' drawn from the deck, done so randomly? You mentioned no dice, and I think you referred to pulling from the deck freely, but I wanted to make sure. Having that random feel would certainly harken to MtG, but would also bring with it that frustration when getting something nod needed - that we all know and hate. lol.
No, I want to eliminate the randomness (and more importantly any mechanic and creates randomness for sake of ease). So what it'll look like is something like...

Each character will know a set of spells (both actual spells and summons). They will then have a 60 slot "spell list" which they are able to slot their known spells and summons into freely (no more than 4 times of course!). They can do this in any order, any mix and match that they want. When play is in session the characters will freely pull from this spell list, in whatever order they want, however they want.. However when they use something they will mark it off their list until whatever time has elapsed (to be determined) that allows them to regain access to expended spells and summons.

This will look something like...

Quote from: Example!
Character: Joe NPC

Red: 4/4
Blue: 0/0
White: 0/0
Black: 0/0
Green: 2/2

Spells Known
Shock (red)
Fireball (red)
Lava Axe (red)
Lava Spike (red)
Ball Lightning (red)
Prey Upon (green)
Exploration (green)
Highland Game (green)

Spell "Deck"
01) Shock
02) Essence of Mountain
03) Fireball
04) Shock
05) Prey Upon
06) Prey Upon
07) Highland Game
08) Shock
09) Ball Lightning
10) Exploration
11) Shock
12) Exploration
13) Lava Axe
14) Exploration
15) Prey Upon
16) Lava Spike
17) Essence of Mountain
18) Lava Axe
19) Highland Game
20) Ball Lightning

Joe is doing his thing and fighting...

Bob, Unoriginal Badguy.

Joe casts Shock, twice, because he's a badass and wants to teach Bob a lesson. This costs Joe 2 red mana. Joe now looks something like this...

Quote from: Example!
Character: Joe NPC

Red: 2/4
Blue: 0/0
White: 0/0
Black: 0/0
Green: 2/2

Spells Known
Shock (red)
Fireball (red)
Lava Axe (red)
Lava Spike (red)
Ball Lightning (red)
Prey Upon (green)
Exploration (green)
Highland Game (green)

Spell "Deck"
01) Shock
02) Essence of Mountain
03) Fireball
04) Shock
05) Prey Upon
06) Prey Upon
07) Highland Game
08) Shock
09) Ball Lightning
10) Exploration
11) Shock
12) Exploration
13) Lava Axe
14) Exploration
15) Prey Upon
16) Lava Spike
17) Essence of Mountain
18) Lava Axe
19) Highland Game
20) Ball Lightning

This beats Bob. Joe is now engaging with...

Sam, Facesmasher.

When Joe begins this fight, his mana has probably recovered but his "deck" is down the 2 shocks that he used before. He can freely pull from his deck as much as he wants, given he has the actions to do it and the mana to cast it. Once used, it's gone until recovered by means yet undetermined.

Wispyr

Quote from: Angiejuusan on January 31, 2016, 09:51:51 PM
I'm feeling more that the Deck, from my reading, will be more like a Spell List a'la D&D.
This is correct. Above is an example (only I promise it'll be much better and easily tracked during game play.)

Quote from: ThisOneGal on January 31, 2016, 09:53:28 PM
Color me interested. I'm not very familiar with Magic (mostly just watched other people play it during high school), but the setting seems cool.

I'm mostly interested in Myr and Arcbound stuff, mostly 'cause that's all I'm familiar with.  :P
(I'm hoping someone else/the GM can point in in the direction of non-creature stuff I'd be interested in)

Links, 'cause I can't figure out how to escape the ']' in the URLs. :/

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[myr]
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/search/default.aspx?name=+[arcbound]

EDIT: Eldrazi look cool too, I guess, but I don't know anything about them apart from that.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[eldrazi]
Hey there! Glad to have your interest. ^^

Myr and Archbound stuff is pretty fun. Unsure of how they'll all tie in yet... It's actually one of the things being worked on currently. Everyone should stop by the feedback thread and toss a vote in about player races... <3

Also as for url tags...

[url=http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+[myr]This Card Here[/url]

Linking from that site is a little strange because they use "]" as well. So the end of their link also serves as the end of your code. Awkward but it works.

And you bring up an important point that I wanted to touch on... Which goes with the rest of whats being had... Spell / summon availability. As noted this'll be run something like a chapter style game. Basically we'll recreate the feeling of set blocks.

How will this work? Well pretty simply... We'll have (as an example...)

Alpha: Origins (Chapter 1)
Alpha: Conquest (Chapter 2)
Alpha: Upheaval (Chapter 3)

The Alpha block will tell 3 individual stories (campaigns, ish, sorta), that all interlink to one another and happen in one - usually - general location. For instance the world of "whatchamacallit" or the realm of "oopsIdiditagain". Then we'll move to...

Beta: Rise of Banair (Chapter 1)
Beta: Blades of Banair (Chapter 2)
Beta: Heroes of Banair (Chapter 3)

etc etc...

Now as for card availability. My plan right now is to create a basic set list which every character has access to if they have mana of that color (this will be fairly small think 10.. probably 7 spells and 3 summons from each color).

Past that I will create "set releases" and each chapter will introduce new spells and summons for everyone to gain access to as the game goes forward. Which creates that more RPG feel of exploration, development and gaining that which was previously unknown.

Xanatos

Quote from: Wispyr on January 31, 2016, 10:05:26 PM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
No, I want to eliminate the randomness (and more importantly any mechanic and creates randomness for sake of ease). So what it'll look like is something like...

Each character will know a set of spells (both actual spells and summons). They will then have a 60 slot "spell list" which they are able to slot their known spells and summons into freely (no more than 4 times of course!). They can do this in any order, any mix and match that they want. When play is in session the characters will freely pull from this spell list, in whatever order they want, however they want.. However when they use something they will mark it off their list until whatever time has elapsed (to be determined) that allows them to regain access to expended spells and summons.

This will look something like...

Joe is doing his thing and fighting...

Bob, Unoriginal Badguy.

Joe casts Shock, twice, because he's a badass and wants to teach Bob a lesson. This costs Joe 2 red mana. Joe now looks something like this...

This beats Bob. Joe is now engaging with...

Sam, Facesmasher.

When Joe begins this fight, his mana has probably recovered but his "deck" is down the 2 shocks that he used before. He can freely pull from his deck as much as he wants, given he has the actions to do it and the mana to cast it. Once used, it's gone until recovered by means yet undetermined.

Hmm, interesting. Alrighty.

Now, are we only going to use spells that exist in the game or can we create our own? Using the flavor of the mana that fuels it?

Wispyr

Quote from: Xanatos on January 31, 2016, 10:19:15 PM
Hmm, interesting. Alrighty.

Now, are we only going to use spells that exist in the game or can we create our own? Using the flavor of the mana that fuels it?
Next post address this. Basically it'll all be predefined stuff by me - this is to maintain consistency and balance among the players, that largely, borrows from existing cards. Though the sets may not match existing sets. In the previous example...

Alpha: Origins (Chapter 1)

May use cards from the following real sets:
Torment
Champions of Kamigawa
Iceage
Morningtide
Tempest

Just as a totally random example.