News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on October 17, 2018, 10:02:50 PM
The first causality of Marvel's Netflix shows has occurred. Despite a better 2nd season, Iron Fist has been cancelled.

I'm honestly not surprised, they had to be spreading funding a bit thinly.

Deamonbane

On the other hand, the new season of Daredevil looks like a lot of fun...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

On the bright side, this makes the perfect opportunity for Heroes for Hire if Marvel doesn't just completely want to get rid of Danny. Have him be the bridge to guys like Shang Chi, Moon Knight, hell, even Blade.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Hunter on October 17, 2018, 10:16:15 PM
I'm honestly not surprised, they had to be spreading funding a bit thinly.

Aaaand now Luke Cage has been cancelled. I mean I expected Iron Fist to go first, but I thought Jessica Jones would be next instead of Luke. Didn't expect this to happen a week later either.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Callie Del Noire

Jessica Jones is supposedly in the shooting phase. Figure Daredevil is next given it just finished up their release then most likely Punisher and the JJ. Killing off the Netflix stuff to make it all in the Disney streaming service. IF we are lucky they will carry over the cast and do Heroes for Hire and Daugherty of the Dragon and so on. Most likely though Disney will want a clean sweep.

deathspell

Daredevil s3 just went up on Friday. I watched the first episode last night and I'm obsessed all over again!

Super duper bummed to hear about the cancellation of Luke Cage. God damn.  :'(
The darkness had arranged itself into something that resembled intent.

Mathim

Quote from: deathspell on October 21, 2018, 01:13:57 PM
Daredevil s3 just went up on Friday. I watched the first episode last night and I'm obsessed all over again!

Super duper bummed to hear about the cancellation of Luke Cage. God damn.  :'(

I thought episode 1 was lackluster. Like it wasn't sure what it was trying to do just yet. Not a good move if you're trying to draw people back in with high expectations.

I'm 10 episodes in and really not motivated to keep going, this season was just...dull. It went way more into characters and sacrificed almost all the action. By the time I got about halfway in, it was painfully predictable who was going to turn around and be the betrayers, but a bit of what's going on to develop the main characters is kind of interesting.

Matt, in several instances, just acted inexcusably goddamn stupid and pays for it dearly, and it pisses me off that I had to watch him make such moronic mistakes and jeopardize his crusade by his own hand. I expect that kind of idiocy out of Jessica Jones, but not Matt Murdock. Maybe it's for the best they're dynamiting the foundation and making a clean sweep, if this is how they're handling things.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Arkaniel

Quote from: Mathim on October 22, 2018, 09:56:17 AM
I thought episode 1 was lackluster. Like it wasn't sure what it was trying to do just yet. Not a good move if you're trying to draw people back in with high expectations.

I'm 10 episodes in and really not motivated to keep going, this season was just...dull. It went way more into characters and sacrificed almost all the action. By the time I got about halfway in, it was painfully predictable who was going to turn around and be the betrayers, but a bit of what's going on to develop the main characters is kind of interesting.

Matt, in several instances, just acted inexcusably goddamn stupid and pays for it dearly, and it pisses me off that I had to watch him make such moronic mistakes and jeopardize his crusade by his own hand. I expect that kind of idiocy out of Jessica Jones, but not Matt Murdock. Maybe it's for the best they're dynamiting the foundation and making a clean sweep, if this is how they're handling things.

Honestly, this is how I feel about most of the marvel Netflix shows. I enjoyed iron fist the most, partially because of the action, but jess and Luke were pretty lame season two, and far too angsty.

Mathim

I didn't feel that way about Luke Cage season 2, there was way too much else going on and such (literally) explosive action and character development with the supporting cast.

The only thing I can garner from the cancellation of Luke Cage coming so close on the heels of Iron Fist's, is that they have to be planning Heroes for Hire. What better way to take a lot of focus off characters that aren't exactly well-liked such as Danny, and introduce new ones, with the added bonus of having the team-up aspect to excite and draw in viewers?

Deamonbane

Honestly, s3 of Daredevil seems to be putting a lot more thought into character development. Not a bad move, honestly. They did the same with s2, but with them bringing Fisk back, it's raising the stakes.

The action is still pretty spot-on, though. Daredevil's fights with Dex are some of the best sequences in the series so far.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

deathspell

Quote from: Mathim on October 22, 2018, 09:56:17 AM

Damn. You're certainly not wrong, these episodes have been booooring. However, my personal motivation to keep going is Charlie Cox being a total babeshow.  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: deathspell on October 22, 2018, 09:59:08 PM
Damn. You're certainly not wrong, these episodes have been booooring. However, my personal motivation to keep going is Charlie Cox being a total babeshow.  ;D
LOL, I can't fault you for that, then. I do like how he's no longer wearing the sunglasses and pretending to not be blind out in public but his eyes still have that look, he really nailed it with his performance.

deathspell

Quote from: Mathim on October 23, 2018, 08:37:05 AM
LOL, I can't fault you for that, then. I do like how he's no longer wearing the sunglasses and pretending to not be blind out in public but his eyes still have that look, he really nailed it with his performance.

I'm fairly certain he's obtained some prestigious awards for his convincing role as a blind man!

The cinematography is also a redeeming quality of these shows. In Daredevil, I find it's so pronounced. Damn those unabashedly artful bastards.

Mathim

Quote from: deathspell on October 23, 2018, 02:02:32 PM
I'm fairly certain he's obtained some prestigious awards for his convincing role as a blind man!

The cinematography is also a redeeming quality of these shows. In Daredevil, I find it's so pronounced. Damn those unabashedly artful bastards.

Oh, indeed. I think the magnum opus of the first season was the 'Nessun Dorma' arrests montage where all of Fisk's corrupt associates were getting caught by the FBI. Season 2's was the single-shot hallway fight where he had the chain and gun taped to his hands while he was trying to keep the Dogs of Hell from getting him and the Punisher. Even I was out of breath by the time I was done watching that scene.

Okay, I finally finished watching Daredevil season 3 and while the Karen-centric episode I had previously not been too eager to see turned out a little better than I thought, the last few episodes were too reminiscent of Jessica Jones repeatedly trying and failing to capture Kilgrave and keep him contained. I didn't much care for the resolution of it and the direction they went with it, but I did appreciate how bloody they allowed things to get, that was pretty wicked. I think it would have benefited with time so another 2 episodes (or even 3, that they could have plucked from the short Iron Fist season 2), but feeling rushed during the last 2 episodes wasn't the worst thing about them. With all the cancellations going on, I can't say I blame them, they weren't able to get it up to the level it deserved to reach but they were at least trying and didn't cram it full of filler like Jessica Jones (both seasons of it). If this is the last thing Marvel Netflix produces, I'd say it's fitting and I don't feel like there was enough of a cliffhanger to get anyone that excited for a season 4 or another Defenders.

If they were to reboot the whole Marvel Netflix thing and introduce Blade and other characters that weren't yet used, I'd be all for that.

deathspell

That scene was one of the most memorable fight scenes I think I've ever watched. Pure excellence!

I'm gonna finish S3 and get back to you on this. I've been hanging on to it so I'd have something to watch over the long, dark winter, but I don't think I can wait anymore.

Also, RIP Stan Lee... :'(

Mathim

Quote from: deathspell on November 14, 2018, 12:16:07 PM
That scene was one of the most memorable fight scenes I think I've ever watched. Pure excellence!

I'm gonna finish S3 and get back to you on this. I've been hanging on to it so I'd have something to watch over the long, dark winter, but I don't think I can wait anymore.

Also, RIP Stan Lee... :'(

Just don't expect it to exceed season 2 in quality. Its peak seems to be no higher than the peak of season 2.

And he will live on in his cameos. There should still be at least two more in Captain Marvel and Avengers 4, if not more.

Mathim

Been kinda dead in here for a bit. Well, I'm sure everyone by now has already noticed and watched the second Captain Marvel trailer and the Endgame teaser, so here's something a bit more lighthearted you may have missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWvBuZCHnKU

Will someone in Hollywood PLEASE throw money at these guys to make a movie? They've got so much talent there it's sad to see it never even going into a project even like Kung Fury.

CaptainNexus616

Got some old news myself. Daredevil has officially joined the list of cancelled Defenders. Callie Del Noir called it months earlier.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Makes sense given how it seemed to peak at season 1. The only series that didn't fail to improve upon its first season was Luke Cage, so it's messed up that they're plowing ahead with Jessica Jones now that there's literally no further stuff from the comics to draw on for inspiration (not that they were doing a good job with that anyway).

Mathim

That was rather disappointing. It just didn't have the kind of spark you expect when Deadpool is involved in something like this. It lacked even 1/10 of the charm and effort of the musicals.

deathspell

Quote from: Mathim on November 05, 2018, 10:34:32 AM
Oh, indeed. I think the magnum opus of the first season was the 'Nessun Dorma' arrests montage where all of Fisk's corrupt associates were getting caught by the FBI. Season 2's was the single-shot hallway fight where he had the chain and gun taped to his hands while he was trying to keep the Dogs of Hell from getting him and the Punisher. Even I was out of breath by the time I was done watching that scene.

Okay, I finally finished watching Daredevil season 3 and while the Karen-centric episode I had previously not been too eager to see turned out a little better than I thought, the last few episodes were too reminiscent of Jessica Jones repeatedly trying and failing to capture Kilgrave and keep him contained. I didn't much care for the resolution of it and the direction they went with it, but I did appreciate how bloody they allowed things to get, that was pretty wicked. I think it would have benefited with time so another 2 episodes (or even 3, that they could have plucked from the short Iron Fist season 2), but feeling rushed during the last 2 episodes wasn't the worst thing about them. With all the cancellations going on, I can't say I blame them, they weren't able to get it up to the level it deserved to reach but they were at least trying and didn't cram it full of filler like Jessica Jones (both seasons of it). If this is the last thing Marvel Netflix produces, I'd say it's fitting and I don't feel like there was enough of a cliffhanger to get anyone that excited for a season 4 or another Defenders.

If they were to reboot the whole Marvel Netflix thing and introduce Blade and other characters that weren't yet used, I'd be all for that.

Okay, I just saw the episode with the single shot Albanian-assisted prison break scene. Admittedly, I'm so gung-ho about the cinematography in this show that I don't even care how lame the plot has gotten :O

Mathim

I don't remember that being all one shot, but damn, that IS impressive. If only it wasn't marred by Matt being so goddamn stupid and reckless to get himself into that situation in the first place.

Mathim

Okay, just saw Spider-Verse last night with a couple of friends (which probably helped me enjoy it more than a solo viewing) and there's certainly something to the positive reviews about it. I honestly didn't think Sony had it in them to make a decent superhero film and while Miles Morales isn't my favorite character in any category, this did make me like him more than before.

There was a lot of chaos in the film, a lot of very fast-paced nuttiness that made it a little hard to enjoy the action scenes but the humor was very on-point for most of it, not just kid-friendly either. I knew the majority of the characters they pulled in from other universes but that little anime girl Peni Parker and her spider robot were unfamiliar to me, although she was an enjoyable newcomer that I appreciated being part of the team. Kingpin as the villain was nice to see again since I haven't really seen him and Spider-Man being antagonists since the 90's cartoon, and his motivation for his evil plan being 'not about money' was really solid. Much more like the Daredevil series' Fisk as far as motivation. The only thing I could complain about was, his head was so much lower than the peak of his back, he was like Quasimodo. That's not how any version of him I've ever seen was, so there really was no need for him to not have his head at the peak of his body.

The ending was very satisfying and the post-credits scene is probably among the best of any Marvel film, it's total sequel bait and explains why a certain character I really wanted to see in it wasn't in it, but certainly will play a key role in sequels.

Also, definitely among the top Stan Lee cameos. Actually, probably the best. Damn it Sony, stop making me not hate you as much.

Neysha

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 10, 2018, 10:42:53 PM
Got some old news myself. Daredevil has officially joined the list of cancelled Defenders. Callie Del Noir called it months earlier.

At least Thanos stopped by killing only half.

Disney just had to outdo them.   :-(

:P

Though honestly I'm not sure how DareDevil would've proceeded with Kingpin as a villain. Season Three was so brilliant and then I feel they kinda threw it all away in the very entertaining climax
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
by having Wilson Fisk literally end up back in prison where he was in the beginning. They had spent the entire season carefully crafting a brilliant storyline where someone as infamous as Wilson Fisk could actually be released after the crimes he committed. Then it was kinda just all thrown away by tossing him back in the clink instead of just escaping. Plus it was awkward seeing Kingpin get beat down by DareDevil again and then weirdly bargain the terms of his imprisonment while on his knees and all bloodied up.

But yeah, I honestly am sad that they seem to be on the path of cancelling all of the Netflix shows. I certainly am not interested in purchasing Disney's new stream service. I cut the cord because I don't want to pay for five hundred channels I don't need. I'm not going to support fifteen different streaming services (Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, Twitch, CBS All Access, HBO2G0, and whatever Disney Stream will be) because then streaming TV will be just as lame and bad and more expensive then cable TV. I hope Disney Stream crashes and burns along with the other ones proposed by networks. I'm not big on monopolies... but there is a convenience factor in many ways in not having fifteen different services to pay subscriptions to.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)