RPG/JRPG What are you playing now?

Started by Oreo, November 27, 2015, 03:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneReinard

Some environmental control would be optimal I think. One thing about adding events to a strategy game is that you don't want to add things in a way that are random (like lightning strikes), but that are predictable and can be potentially adjusted for. Adjusting to harsh situations is what makes it fun!

Final Fantasy Tactics has a great hard mode hack people came up with, I feel I should note on that regards. It balances out the most broken parts of the game and make the enemies scale with your level in story missions, as well as spend JP better so that they have more skills. It is super tough and super fun. Highly recommended.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/29-final-fantasy-tactics-13/ for those curious.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Mathim

Quote from: AnneReinard on December 31, 2015, 01:26:21 PM
Some environmental control would be optimal I think. One thing about adding events to a strategy game is that you don't want to add things in a way that are random (like lightning strikes), but that are predictable and can be potentially adjusted for. Adjusting to harsh situations is what makes it fun!

Final Fantasy Tactics has a great hard mode hack people came up with, I feel I should note on that regards. It balances out the most broken parts of the game and make the enemies scale with your level in story missions, as well as spend JP better so that they have more skills. It is super tough and super fun. Highly recommended.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/29-final-fantasy-tactics-13/ for those curious.

Well I was thinking about having two mage classes specifically devoted to both weather manipulation and natural disasters. But you'd know going into a battle if it was going to be stormy and have lightning strikes and whatnot, even if lightning strikes do target randomly (but you could construct lightning rods to remove the threat; or anyone wearing lots of metal equipment would be more likely to get struck.) I just thought the scope of a game like FFT could easily double with just those elements alone.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Obsidian Isolabella

I am about to start playing American McGee's Alice: Madness Returns. I am also kind of playing Lightning Returns on Hard mode in New Game+ because I have never played it in hard mode. So kind of switching back and forth between games since its been a while since I last had a PS3 to play on.

SinXAzgard21

If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 01, 2016, 03:12:22 AM
Final Fantasy 9 coming to PC.

That was my least favorite of the modern Final Fantasy games. The story was a joke and it did that most annoying thing of frequently splitting up the party so you'd never have access to the fighters you wanted until the end of the game. Plus the way they went about making the strategy guide made it impossible to find all the side quests and whatnot (this was before home internet was virtually a necessity).
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Drake Valentine

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

AnneReinard

I've actually been playing through Final Fantasy 9 again myself. It is a good bit of fun!

I don't see the point of getting the PC ports on my end, as I own all the originals and a Playstation and thus have legal alternatives that do not involve rebuying the thing, typically at lower quality.
Ons and Offs

Always free for a little teasing back and forth. Or suggestions to titles to make this exhibitionist squirm! I adore silly little PMs.

Mathim

Quote from: AnneReinard on January 01, 2016, 10:57:02 AM
I've actually been playing through Final Fantasy 9 again myself. It is a good bit of fun!

I don't see the point of getting the PC ports on my end, as I own all the originals and a Playstation and thus have legal alternatives that do not involve rebuying the thing, typically at lower quality.

You can also download it on the Playstation Network if you've got a PS3 or PS4 for 10 bucks. But I also felt the music took a downturn; I bought both Final Fantasy 7 and 8's soundtracks and regularly listen to upwards of 20 tracks from each one, but I could barely get into 6 of them from 9's soundtrack. Luckily FFX brought the quality back up, and not just graphically. Although, aside from X-2, I haven't played any later Final Fantasy games. 11 was purely online and I didn't have access, and I heard 12 was no longer the turn-based system I was used to so that made my shy away. So until I do start playing 12 I don't think I should proceed to any of he newer ones.

AnneReinard

Well, you can really afford to do them out of order, obviously. It isn't like you're losing much.

That said, I personally thought the story of Final Fantasy XIII was absolute rubbish. I really disliked that game in general. It practically played itself.

Final Fantasy XIV is solid, though it is an MMO. Good story, good content release schedule, some interesting systems. Downside is that for those used to other MMOs is that it doesn't have a lot of solid crunch in terms of mechanical customization.
Ons and Offs

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Mathim on December 31, 2015, 04:06:51 PM
Well I was thinking about having two mage classes specifically devoted to both weather manipulation and natural disasters. But you'd know going into a battle if it was going to be stormy and have lightning strikes and whatnot, even if lightning strikes do target randomly (but you could construct lightning rods to remove the threat; or anyone wearing lots of metal equipment would be more likely to get struck.) I just thought the scope of a game like FFT could easily double with just those elements alone.

It was still better than VII.

Mathim

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 01, 2016, 06:11:25 PM
It was still better than VII.

Apples and oranges, to some degree, but VII had way more to do than stay on a grid battlefield or world map, which is sort of what you expect in an RPG (though to be fair, dungeon exploration isn't a common feature of SRPGs). Maybe variety is just something that appeals to me more than others, I guess. Plus those ass-kicking FMV sequences were some of the coolest things I've seen in a game to this day. Sapphire Weapon attacking Junon and getting its head blown off? Mind-blowing. The Mako Canon firing at Diamond Weapon and the crater barrier? Jaw-dropping. Plus the music...inspiring. Oh, and swinging a sword around while riding on a motorcycle, I don't recall seeing that anywhere else in gaming (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I can't say anything closely resembling those comments about FFT. While I do consider it the pinnacle of SRPGs, that by no means has the implication that it couldn't have been a bit better on its own, without the design elements I wish could be included. A few meaningful FMV sequences (again, to be fair, War of the Lions, the PSP version, did fill in some of those blanks) and a few more enjoyable tracks wouldn't have hurt.

I don't know if anyone else on here owns a 3DS but the Find Mii game on there is kind of fun. I never even knew about it until a few months ago when my friend, who bought one on impulse, made me aware of it. I'm always bringing it with me when I go out now so I can try to get a few Spotpass tags but it hasn't been as lucrative as the first week or so I started doing that, even though you can get repeat tags from people you've met before. I guess not a lot of people I've ridden my bike past or walked past regularly travel to those places. I got pretty mad the first time I played it and I kept wasting soldiers on ghosts that had shields because the King Mii waited several rounds before telling me that someone with the same color shirt as the shield could break it.

Oreo

Someone was asking about SRPG games. I had nearly forgotten about it because I played so long ago, but I really enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc for PSP/PsVita.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Revelation

Quote from: Oreo on January 01, 2016, 09:13:33 PM
Someone was asking about SRPG games. I had nearly forgotten about it because I played so long ago, but I really enjoyed Jeanne D'Arc for PSP/PsVita.

Jeanne D'arc is great, a pretty good SRPG.

Drake Valentine

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Lithos

Witcher 3 Is taking my free time right now and will for long time in to future, amazingly good depth of story and actually interesting characters... and also weighty decisions to make. It feels even nicer than the second game which was already great, in terms of plot.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 03, 2016, 03:20:17 PM
This Needs to Be a Game

The only thing missing is Professor Farnsworth as Bugenhagen.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Mathim on January 03, 2016, 09:05:02 PM
The only thing missing is Professor Farnsworth as Bugenhagen.

Bugenhagen was just an NPC though.

Everything is better as long as Zoidberg XIII is a playable character.

Drake Valentine

Why the **** does FFVII on PS4 have ingame 'cheats?' The whole ability to R3 to heal/limit break is ****ing stupid and makes earning achievements pointless; when you can just cheat them. >_<

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 04, 2016, 08:21:40 PM
Why the **** does FFVII on PS4 have ingame 'cheats?' The whole ability to R3 to heal/limit break is ****ing stupid and makes earning achievements pointless; when you can just cheat them. >_<

I think it is the pc port with the functions from the tablet version as well.  They added easier way of just experiencing the story with out having to deal with battles.

Mathim

Quote from: Drake Valentine on January 04, 2016, 08:21:40 PM

The game isn't hard enough to need them. Unless all the cheats do is save time level grinding or leveling up materia, then it's pointless. Final Fantasy VIII is harder only because it's less easy to get rare items that give decent abilities which makes it difficult to defend effectively against things like Malboro's Bad Breath attack. Plus the fact that there's no long armor or accessories to wear limits how many abilities you can have going at once. I disliked this about FFX too but it wasn't difficult enough for that to be an issue anyway.

Anyone play the first Parasite Eve? That was a fun, albeit short, RPG where the random battles you enter allow you movement through a limited part of the screen you were on and you use different guns or police batons on mutated versions of things. The story was very interesting too. If I had any complaints, it was the chase scene at the end where there was literally no way to get comfortably ahead of the thing chasing you (meaning if you got caught, even after beating the final boss, you had to fight all its forms ALL OVER AGAIN), and the New Game Plus dungeon was the single most tedious quest in the history of anything ever.

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Mathim on January 04, 2016, 08:39:48 PM
The game isn't hard enough to need them. Unless all the cheats do is save time level grinding or leveling up materia, then it's pointless. Final Fantasy VIII is harder only because it's less easy to get rare items that give decent abilities which makes it difficult to defend effectively against things like Malboro's Bad Breath attack. Plus the fact that there's no long armor or accessories to wear limits how many abilities you can have going at once. I disliked this about FFX too but it wasn't difficult enough for that to be an issue anyway.

Exactly. The 3x run speed I don't mind at all since that does help speed up battles and run around. The no combat one I am iffy on. The full health/mana/limit recharge is freaking stupid in my honest opinion which derrives again, any effort of earning an achievement since there are achievements that can be earned from beating the Weapons again which are all challenging fights, especially Ruby if you didn't go out blazing with material spam. Though I did see a funny video somewhere where someone beat Ruby with Enemy Skill material only, I think.

Oreo

Arrrggg. Trails of Cold Steel. Why does dungeon level 3 have monsters with instant kill and steal CP all in one hit power? Evil!!

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oreo on January 04, 2016, 08:58:48 PM
Arrrggg. Trails of Cold Steel. Why does dungeon level 3 have monsters with instant kill and steal CP all in one hit power? Evil!!

I'm playing this as well....  Its actually a really fun game, I was worried about this title in the legend of heroes series.

Oreo

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on January 04, 2016, 09:19:04 PM
I'm playing this as well....  Its actually a really fun game, I was worried about this title in the legend of heroes series.
I was a bit worried too, but I am really enjoying myself. Especially the story and characters. I'm too caught up in the game to play anything else at the moment. Wasn't too thrilled about taking mid-term exams XD, but at least I passed. Even with my messed up memory.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oreo on January 04, 2016, 09:24:39 PM
I was a bit worried too, but I am really enjoying myself. Especially the story and characters. I'm too caught up in the game to play anything else at the moment. Wasn't too thrilled about taking mid-term exams XD, but at least I passed. Even with my messed up memory.

Fie is best.