Life lessons learned the hard way

Started by Soveliss, July 11, 2016, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soveliss

Heya!

Here is a topic for life lessons you have learned the hard way.

I'll start:

In a fight, even untrained persons can get lucky, either getting a fluke hit on you, getting you when you're not at peak condition, or both.

(Self defense class. There was this girl who joined because she received a gratuitous beat down from a girl gang. I was assigned to train with her. So she had to learn how to hit an attacker to make him let go of a physical hold he has on you. The purpose was to learn the move, not actually hurt the person. I hadn't slept well last night, so I didn't get my cue and let her go on time. She panicked and hit me for real. Was knocked out cold for 10 seconds. 1à seconds is a pretty long time in a fight. Had this been a real fight, she could have done whatever she wanted with me during 10 seconds, despite the fact that I had the training and physical fitness advantage over her. She apologized when I came back to the world of the living, I had a laugh about it, saying that accidents happen and if I didn't wanted to get bruises I wouldn't go to a self-defense class, and I was pretty tough. Still, I had to explain a nasty bruise on my eye to all the people I know. I had no reason to lie, and I laughed and still laugh about it. It was actually a good memory. Still...)

Lesson learned.

Your turn!
Winning against depression is possible, I know it, I've done it! I had help, sure, and couldn't have done it without help, but I still won!

"Work together as a team
Download douchey hats on Steam"
                                                        Brentalfloss

Starting an IC on E forums OOC on Discord experiment. If you're okay with discussing plot details and exchanging status updates on Discord while keeping RPs on Elliquiy's forums, you can ask me for my Discord ID.

Lady Shadow

For me it would have to be "Saving Money"

I know it's really simple, but I found that times are hard now, and when I was young I was fast and loose with spending money, and now that I need savings, they just aren't there. So while you're young SAVE YOUR MONEY! Trust me.
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~

RedRose

People are sometimes (often?) jealous. Don't speak too much.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

rekhaiyer

If you are angry, do not say, "I don't care." It gives away the fact that it does bother you and it only makes people try harder to push you over the edge.
Cravings & Ideas
O/O

"Here Come the Hawks!" Toews <3