Yu-gi-oh Creator terminates U.S. Deal and sues for millions.

Started by Wolfy, March 31, 2011, 01:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/yu-gi-creator-terminates-us-172273

Allegedly, 4kids, the main distributor of Yu-gi-oh and it's associated products, was making backdoor/secret deals with other TV companies and distributers, and didn't tell the original owners..

Who found out, and were none-too-please. :D

All this..over a children's card game.

Sel Nar

Well, there goes what little remained of 4kids credibility. Plus, due to breach of contract, they just lost one of their main revenue sources, and it's extremely unlikely any company will have further dealings with 4kids. Which means no more anime for them.

From what the report covered, it's pretty clear that 4kids entertainment is already bent over the barrel; the only question is whether they'll need an ostomy bag once the legal process is done with them.

Wolfy

Good.

After what they did to One Piece, I want to see them burn. >_<

Yorubi

Yeash... what is with so many companies that do anime (well... not that I'm eager to call that show anime) always seem to be a bit meh when it comes to doing things?

Wolfy

From what it says in the article, it says that Funimation was involved too...

which means that, Herp Derp, Anime companies in Japan are going to be more hesitant to license their properties here.

....meh, I watch all mine fan-subbed anyway, so it doesn't really bother me, but still.

NotCarrot

My trading card crack! No!

Is it wrong that one of my first responses was "I can't wait to see what LittleKuriboh does with this"?

Callie Del Noire

It's nothing new.. the anime dubbers here have always played shady with their Japanese connections. I always found that the folks that were upfront and honest with them always get an end run around by douche bags.

They've rewritten series (Horribly in cases.. Robotech is the first example taht comes to mind, though I'm sure there are some atrocities out there), 'edited for American' outlooks to leave us with atrocities, and then when the market started growing took off with endless retakes on the same  (Pokemon/YGO) to capitalize on the younger audiences merchandise.

I went through Best Buy yesterday, and they had like five series that I would have been interested in but none of the episodes that started the series.. they never do. BUT they got EVERY damn ep of Yugio, Pokemon, Dragonball and the rest.

Yorubi

Yeah... for every good dubbed/done anime series, I think there has to be at the very least 100 bad ones. I mean heck, japanese originating games seem to get good voice actors and are translated very well in many cases, yet an actual show based purely on being watched without any other content but to be viewed would be skimped on? It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm doubting all the good voice actors and translators are charging up the ass that its to expensive to do an anime over a game, heck I mean a game will have a lot more translation if its more story based/rpg styled.

Heck, to make it even worst, the companies that do take the rights always seem to give it to like cartoon network or adult swim. Adult swim in particular loves butchering anime and just tossing it to the side. The least they could do is give it to a network that cares rather then one that would rather show "Real life" shows that are horribly unfunny. Most anime is just thrown out and only on during odd times, I know .hack was played at like 5 am and only like once or twice through.

Callie Del Noire

Well I think it was Fox or ABC that bought of the TV rights of a lot of shows without even looking over them. Such as the ENTIRE Slayers franchise.

Yorubi

Did they? >.<  Either way really, anime tends to just be something no one cares about it seems like in terms of US tv companies.

Oniya

And you'd think that with the insane number of channels on even basic cable, someone would have the bright idea to make an anime channel - maybe even with an SAP feature so that the subbed/dubbed battle could be eliminated once and for all. (Audio channel 1: Japanese, option for English subtitles.  Audio channel 2: English dub.  Should cover 90% of the bases.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

NotCarrot

I think it'd be tricky getting funding for such a channel, particularly as most of the target audience probably has ways of getting said shows online for free. Especially since a channel like that would almost undoubtedly be a satellite or cable channel you'd need to order on top of a basic package.
Not that I think something like that'd be impossible, just trying to think like a studio exec for a bit.

Yorubi

There is a channel actually, but its got some really random anime on it (much of the rights already purchased by networks that really don't care) and the channel itself costs money to actually have (like its own package type deal)

Ironwolf85

Adult swim replaced anime on weeknights with "Tom goes to the mayor" "tim and Eric's awesome show" "deathclock" and "superjail"
they always had aqua team hunger force on... lame as it was.
I want to kick them in the nuts, I used to stay up and sleep on the bus to watch the anime they had on.
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO TOONAMI!

while we're on channels that piss me off... history channel...
they lost the interisting informitive specials and their standard fare is now "pawn stars" "ice road truckers" and "gator people"
the barbarians series... was awesome, they could've gone beyond the western world and done the barbaric peoples in South America, Africa and Asia.
not i mean Barbarians not Natives. like the Nan-Mann from south west china, who actually kept the Han chinese at bay for a long time using unorthodix tactics.
they had Retan armor... bamboo stuff as strong as steel but lighter... (the chinese flamethrower was supposedly invented to counter it) and actually trained tigers, (though i'm guessing there was a high mortality rate among new handlers)
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Callie Del Noire

Well it's what happens when the execs decide they need to 'change' things.

Definitely the reason the programming has gone down hill in several channels (Sci-fi to.. SHUDDER Sy-Fy.. was done to 'get out of the 'our viewers live in the basment' dynamic supposedly)

I think Firefly, The Tick, Futurama, Family Guy all suffered from Exec Meddling.

Oniya

The network formerly known as CourtTV has gone downhill as well.  They used to show courtroom proceedings from 9 to 5, then forensics shows until the end of the broadcasting day (2 or 3 AM).  Now, we have 'Hardcore Pawn' (because 'Pawn Stars' wasn't edgy enough), 'World's Dumbest' (because Tonya Harding and Danny Bonaduce need work), Speeders (not even criminals - just people getting speeding tickets or warnings), and shows about repo men, process servers, and parking enforcement.

I saw it coming when they brought in Star Jones for her own show - and the viewership rebelled.  Too bad they didn't go back to what worked.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sel Nar

There's a reason I watch TV for maybe 4 hours a week, and that's because Hockey is on.

Ironwolf85

Execs alienate the geek demographic and bland things up when they try and go mainstream.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

TheGlyphstone

See also...the History Hitler Conspiracy Theory Channel, ScyFy-lis Channel, Discovery (of Bigfoot and Aliens) Channel....TV is plummeting in quality all across the board.

Yorubi

Discovery seems so hit and miss... all those bike shows on too... blah! I want to watch cool stuff like man vs wild and actually interesting and non-abstract things.

GanonDwarf

This is the best news I've heard in awhile. After ruining my two Favorite Animes(Yu-gi-oh and One Piece) I think they deserve this. Apparently without Yu-gi-oh 4kids is gonna go bankrupt. Good news all around.

Although I guess they are leaving Funimation out of this, which is good cause I kinda like them.
My ons/offs Updated:Feb.14, 2020
AbsencesUpdated:Feb 5th, 2019
Fandom Request Thread!

Ironwolf85

funimation does good work I think
4kids had some good shows early on, but quality started dropping.
oh and don't forget Cartoon (& Live acting) network
and their primer programming Adult (who never grew up and like watching shows with lots of Spazzy colors and talking meatballs) swim`
it feels good to bash these stations

Yorubi

Funimation I must admit actually does good sometimes. Its the only real company around that seems to do alright. Its not perfect but at the very least they do as good as it gets.

I liked adult swim before in the past. Scrutinize it all you want, but aqua teen hunger force can be hilarious... unfortunately its very hit and miss with it. >.< Just try googling Hand Banana (break link has the fool episode)... I don't know a single person (with my type of humor) that finds it so wrong and hilarious at the same time. XD Still though mostly its a lot of bad stuff lately on adult swim as they circle the drain. >.<

Wolfy

Quote from: Yorubi on April 03, 2011, 12:06:11 PM
Funimation I must admit actually does good sometimes. Its the only real company around that seems to do alright. Its not perfect but at the very least they do as good as it gets.

I liked adult swim before in the past. Scrutinize it all you want, but aqua teen hunger force can be hilarious... unfortunately its very hit and miss with it. >.< Just try googling Hand Banana (break link has the fool episode)... I don't know a single person (with my type of humor) that finds it so wrong and hilarious at the same time. XD Still though mostly its a lot of bad stuff lately on adult swim as they circle the drain. >.<

*Looks at Yorubi* Tonight. YOU.

xD

Yorubi

Quote from: Wolfy on April 03, 2011, 12:10:50 PM
*Looks at Yorubi* Tonight. YOU.

xD
"Do you think you could 'back that up'... no no... I mean that ass... back it up... yeah"