Drow: An Interest Check

Started by Krayz, June 11, 2010, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

I'm thinking of either a Mind flayer or a Yuan Ti, probably the Flayer I've been wanting to play one for a while.
I was thinking of a person outside the drow powerstructure, selling information to one faction or another for payment.
hmmm... I was thinking he had a philophy that got him exiled.
unlike other flayers who let their bodies rot away to train their mind, this one kept his body healthy and strong, making him a force to be rekoned with.
I'll post a better bio later
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Krayz

Sounds interesting, Ironwolf.

Ironwolf85

hmmmm... I'm thinking this character Zarin Vaggrish might be a good name... for those not in the know, mindflayers are born from a parasite from the Outer World, a demention of madness and insanity. when it's inserted into the skull of a humanoid you get a new creature called an Illithid. (squidheads to veteran adventurers)
They are one of the few races the drow repect and fear... they're still willing to gut one on sight.
one of their biggest taboos is showing the little tics that many retain from their host's body. the worst thing for them is if a new illithid retained it's former mind and soul, with their innate mental power.
Zarin was once thrashed by adventurers from the surface, and beaten for information. his frail form could not stand up to such a beating.
he survived... but with horrid scars across his arm and chest. he has since embraced not only decipline of the mind but of the body as well for this he was almost assianated.
He escaped to a drow city, and quickly set himself up as a trafficer in information, it helps when you can read almost any mind.
With a powerful psychic mind, and a body to match it, Zarin is a powerful weapon for hire by any drow house, and this is the reason he is tolerated. A master of interrogation, information gathering, and minpulation, he's actually begun to train drow in his mental and physical deciplines (for a price of course), he prefers male students as it's easier to fill an empty cup, but takes females as well.
as for price he's known for his mental and physical appitites. Prefering knowlage, the more secretive and anchent the better, as a form of payment. or other goods such as slaves, or for more high profile jobs, drow, to fufill his physical needs, be if for food, homekeeping, or a bedwarmer.

sound good?
I thought a freelance agent that could tear information from a victim's mind would be valuble in these games of intruge
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Angi

Vergil1989

You are a godsend lol.  I bow down before thee, mighty messenger of Lolth and her ways LMAO.  At any rate, I greatly appreciate the book I got from this and I plan to make a matron after I study this a bit more.  For now, my warrior idea holds until I have had a chance to learn what I need to be an effective and realistic Matron Mother lol.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Angi

Found more http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9580

-EDIT- Here's a torrent for almost all of them, too http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/ecbb97ab199de50c2ed8f87389f85e7c91628877/torrent-info/3-5-D%26amp%3BD-Books there are others but this has the most seeds that I could see

Krayz

Could still use a few more Matrons, if people are interested :D

Vergil1989

Well, having a CS Sheet would help my friend.  I don't mind trying my hand at a Matron Mother though, so long as I have an idea of how to set her up with a CS Sheet.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

Krayz

I didn't put one up until now because this was just an interest check. But now I have to go do some cleaning, so I'll have one up ASAP ^_^

Krayz

So, I have a baseline character sheet now. You're welcome to add things to it (I plan on doing so), but this provides a universal minimum that all the characters will have:

(Description here, if a picture)
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Profession:[/b] Class, role, etc (Wizard, Matron Mother, Assassin, etc)
[b]Description:[/b] (delete this if you're using a picture)

[b]History:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]

Vergil1989

Name: Ziva Torvirr  (Translation of last name.  Mistresses of Dominance.)
Race: Drow
Profession: Matron Mother

History: Ziva was quick to rise through her family's hierachy, always staying a step ahead of her two sisters and one brother who all wanted to be the most favored.  Showing a ruthless streak that made some Drow look mild in comparison, Ziva used her unholy powers to dispose of the competition as she saw fit.  Her brother had an unfortunate 'accident' at the hands of a Drider.  Her older sister was found with her throat slit and her bed mate holding the dagger, (who Ziva had enchanted to do the deed for her with the clever use of a mind altering posion and a few spells for good measure.)  The younger sister was wise enough to keep out of the spotlight after that.  Their mother enjoyed the fact that Ziva was so clever, although losing the mostly useless male hadn't been the hard loss, but the sister on the other hand wasn't so easily forgotten.  Ziva knew she might have acted too quickly, even by Drow standards of striking when an opportunity presented itself, and the House almost paid for it when a lesser rival tried to take advantage of the loss of their high priestess.  Lolth had smiled on Ziva though and had given her the strength to hold the line with the soldiers of the house.  During the confusion, the Matron took a bad fall and happened to land on a sword...  The rest is history.
Personality:  Cruel and not above using her body as a weapon as well as the whip and sword she keeps on her person at all times.  Ziva is a powerful force to be reckoned with and she has yet to lose a contest of wills against any one Drow female, her personality demanding that others scrape and beg for her very presence, let alone favor.  Very domineering when the occasion calls for it, and it usually does all the time with her.

((Will add more as I can think of anything lol.))

elfguy

Name: Pamine

Race: Drow

Profession: Dark Knight

History: Born of House Mar'Gorogh, Pamine was quickly attracted to the fighting lifestyle. She became a warrior, and trained her body to be strong, physically fit, and skilled at a sword as well as hand to hand combat. Unlike many Drow in the world however, she was not all that concerned about in-house rivalries, or even the petty fights between houses. She was one of those who thought the Drow should be above such things, and instead concentrate on bringing terror to the world.

She traveled the world a lot more than most typical Drow, and this can make her useful for gathering intelligence, or informing Drow nobles on what goes on outside of their society. It's during one of those travels that she came upon an ancient being who granted her a limited amount of dark magical powers, turning her into a Dark Knight, such as the ability to slow down her enemies with her mind, cause pain to their soul, and regenerate injuries whenever she stays in darkness or the shadows.

When House Mar'Gorogh fell, due to the Matron Mother and the Princesses being too concerned on who would rule next than to see the threats from outside, she renounced her allegiances and decided to work with any Drow that needed her skills.

Personality: Pamine is ruthless, and loves to dominate other races. She is usually kinder to Drow than most Drows typically are, especially to females. She doesn't really care much about the males and see them as barely better than the enslaved races such as Goblins and Trolls. Power is very important to her, but only personal power, such as strength and the ability to cause fear in her enemies. She has little use or want for political power.
----

Ironwolf85

I have no picture.
6.8 feet tall musclar mindflayer with dark blue skin, he wears the black robes his kind are typically seen in, however he is proud of his body, and thus leaves the top half hanging off from around his waist showing off his upper half, and the purple tatoos along his left arm. he carries a large black flail with him in case he needs it. this wreakingball packs a nasty punch when combined with his martial arts.
Name: Zarin Valgarissh
Race: Illithid
Profession: black market information dealer, interrorgator, and tutor in many arts both martial and mental for hire
History: Zarin was created from a human body, and was supposed to be a simple rank and file illithid. it was this exact position that caused him to be overlooked, and thus he had more time to himself. as surface heroes are want to do, a group of adventurers ventured down to their city to rescue some nameless person that had been one of his thralls. they had proper protection against mental powers, and beat Zarin merclessly untill he gave her up. untill that point Zarin had never experienced a beating he'd always had thralls to use as shields.
He was determind to overcome this weakness. over time the change was apparent, he was thinking faster, constant training pushed his body to it's peak. He towered over his bretherin and looked like a powerful warrior. worse yet, the balance pushed him towards clarity and sanity.
this got him discovered.
the Inquisiton was unable to take Zarin down, he was a match for them mentally, and could tear them limb from limb physically. He escaped to a drow city, setting himself up as an information broker and mercenary. dispite his mental power, he's come to enjoy physical delights taste, sight, touch. His current project is how to transfer himself from one body to another once matured, he still has much to do in this life. he's passing his developed combat styles down to those who can afford his tutorage.
Personality: intelligent, savvy, and quick to turn on his masters for the right price. Zarin respects strengh of the mind or body
he's actually not abusive to his slaves, in fact he often sees them as works of art. he does not even subsist on sentient brains, he would prefer to eat that of an animal. he respects other races more than his kin, or even most drow, and killing them would put an end to their potental. That doesn't mean he doesn't, it's just incredibly rare. He's more apt to punch a hole in the skull and play around rather than eat. it's one of his interrogation methods.

Vergil1989

I could use your aid my Illithid friend.  (Get some serious grammar help is all I ask lol.)  Joking aside, it looks good to me but I ain't in charge though, damn it lol.

Ironwolf85

I look foreward to playing Zarin

Vergil1989

We still need more people for this.  Also, where are we going to put this thing?

Krayz

We need the players interested in Matrons to start giving a summary of their plans for a House, before anything; I'm creating the city that this'll be set in based on the information provided on the Houses, so I need a basic outline of each House before I can get things set up. If you want a sheet for that, you can use the following:

[b]Name:[/b] With a name that is, or at least sounds like, it's drow.
[b]Insignia:[/b] A coat of arms, usually incorporating jewels or precious metals, along with spiders and combat being common themes.
[b]Summary:[/b] The defining traits of the House; how do they make money, their preferred tactics in politics and/or warfare, and particular skills or qualities that the House is known for.

@Ironwolf: Interesting character, though I'm fairly sure a mind flayer is incapable of living on nonsentient brains. If nothing else, it'd be like eating gruel xD An alternative to consider is simply buying slaves; drow maintain steady slave markets.

@elfguy: This city is only going to have the Houses created, and all of them are going to be quite stable, by drow standards, so your falling House would need to be from another city.

@Vergil: Looks good, but you need to get me a House up now :)

Ironwolf85

I was unaware of just how massive the slave market is.
they can get physical nourishment from nonsentient brains, but it'd be our equilivent of bread and water. I thought it would suit a monk-style character.
probably buys a slave to eat when he wants to treat himself.

like buying a little treat

Vergil1989

Name: House Torvirr  ((Mistresses of Dominance.  I found the translation on a page I'll provide the link for in this app.))
Insignia: Made of Adamantite, one of the hardest ores known to the Underdark and those that call it home, the insignia is that of a multi-headed snake whip, the biggest of these being that of a black king cobra while the others are akin to our version of the rattle snake all on bronze background.  Precious gems are placed in the eyes of all of the snakes, and if one looks close enough, the King Cobra has spiders running up and down its mouth that have been rumored to be more than a simple carving.  (basically meaning you cut off one head, three more are there to take its place lol.  It has been said that said spiders have actually jumped off of the stone and attacked unwanted visitors, but that has yet to be officially proven.)
Summary: When slaves are brought in, they are normally brought to Torvirr first so that they can be broken and made to serve the highest bidder's needs.  The Torvirr family has mastered the art of getting inside a person's head and making them akin to zombies in that they don't think, move, or even breath without their mistress's or master's say so.  (Mostly Mistresses, given the terrain lol)  Ziva Torvirr is the driving force behind the House, being the most dangerous with her domineering personality that has yet to be tested, and the few times she is in a position that she is a lesser, Ziva only bows when she has no other choice, and that has not been often.  Being devout, ruthless in her methods, and cunning, (the old Matron who met her end at Ziva's hands who made it look like an accident by saying the old coot fell onto a sword held by a slain enemy,) Ziva is reported to be a 'rising' star in the political sense, leading her family through trial after trial.  Her no holds barred attitude, showing absolutely no mercy to her enemies, going so far as to play with her victims and telling her soldiers to do the same, has made House Torvirr one to fear during its ascension.  They specialize in whips of every sort, but the Priestesses of House Torvirr are able to use the Lolth given weapons, the snake whips, with deadly efficiency rivaling that of the top's own finest of warriors.  Ziva has been experimenting with a way to make the scales of said whips harder to cut, so far only minor success has come of her probings, but given enough time, Ziva and her priestesses might be an unstoppable force if she ever succeeds.  So far, the best that has been managed is to make the whip harder to swing given the extra weight, but it has made the mental control required to use the snake whips stronger, given House Torvirr better than the usual mental defenses as a side effect.  (For those that don't know, the snake whips of Lolth are given to only the Priestesses and they have a bite to them that paralyzes muscles, and the snake heads move about with a will of their own as if truly alive.  The more heads one has, the better favor that Priestess or family in general possesses.)  As for politics, you can usually find Ziva or one of her cohorts leading a debate with an elegance that is only matched by their ferocity and dominating presence, all of the females trained to bow to no man or anyone of lesser station, and those that are higher only as far as their rank can carry them.  (In basic, bow to no one and only those you respect and fear in equal parts.)

(Having major internet problems.)

Krayz

Well, good luck with your internet problems, Vergil, and thank you for finishing this up :)

Zakharra

Vergil1989

Yep, you saw that right.  We need a few more Matron Mothers or Matriarchs if you like that term better, so pull up a chair, make a CS Sheet, and have fun with us crazies lol.

Angi

Name: House Noqulyl
Insignia: The symbol of House Noqulyl is the striking image of a large spider,
bearing a total of four two-handed swords. The arachnid's body is made from two large and pure emeralds, cut carefully in such a way that resembles the many eyes of the creature, reminding the enemies of the House that they were never truly out of House Noqulyl's sight. The legs are carved from polished pieces of jet, crafted in two sections each and bonded together as well as to the body with molds of pure silver. Like the molds holding the piece together, the swords are also molded in silver, the hilts as well as the blades carefully detailed. The original piece is more than 2 feet in diameter and rests in the home of the Matron Mother of House Noqulyl. Every member of the House shows their allegiance by having a similar insignia somewhere on their person at all times.
Summary: House Noqulyl was established on the simple and common idea that those who gain in strength must also gain in power. The House of Noqulyl is one of the most actively offensive of the drow Houses and is almost always engaged in some sort of battle at any given time. Because of this, it's members are made up mostly of fighters, assassins as well as many priestesses just like it's Matriarch Xunlara. The army of House Noqulyl is immense, made up of enough warriors that it can easily take on more than one battle at the same time without difficulty. Xunlara is determined that her House never miss an opportunity to grow in power, often striking it's enemies without warning and with full force. In addition to it's growing forces, the House Noqulyl is also quite active in the slave trade. Convinced it would be a waste to kill everyone, House Noqulyl takes many prisoners and keeps them in a separate section of the army's barracks. Of the prisoners taken, only 30% are ever sold as slaves. The rest are forced to participate in the events of the House's gladiator stadium. The prisoners are equipped with the leftover weapons and armor acquired from the fallen enemies of the House and paired to fight almost every other night until one of them falls. The attendance of the events helps make up a good amount of the House's income while the rest is accumulated from the many battles and sales of the taken property.

BTW:
Quote from: Vergil1989 on June 15, 2010, 11:38:05 AM
I found the translation on a page I'll provide the link for in this app.
Lolz this is what I used http://drowcampaign.roleplaynexus.com/drowlanguage.html
My CS for Xunlara will be posted later on x3

Vergil1989

Crap, I forgot to link my thing for you guys.  My comp was hating me yesterday and by the time we got it working I forgot all about it.

Krayz

You don't actually need to provide the link, Vergil. Realistically, we're not going to be speaking in drow non-stop, so a unified source is hardly necessary, so long as the language sounds the same. Besides, a language based on a hybrid of Undercommon and Elven would realistically be very complex and have a variety of synonyms and such.

[Character removed, new one on page 4]