News:

Main Menu

Tibetan sky burial

Started by Vekseid, December 03, 2008, 06:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/China/blog-7890.html

Quote...
We specifically asked him if he knows anything about the sky burial that we heard still takes place in Litang.
Sky burial, for those of you who don't know, is a Tibetan tradition in which you leave the dead people for the vultures to be eaten.

Aeval

Quote from: Vekseid on December 03, 2008, 06:08:55 PM
http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/China/blog-7890.html

At first glance this does seem barbaric..but is it less barbaric to throw a corpse into an incinerator and burn it- then give the ashes to loved ones to set on their mantles or coffee tables? Is it less barbaric to bury a body in a box so is slowly rots? The Bible says 'ashes to ashes and dust to dust' ..the means are different but the end is the same. Actually- the Tibetan Sky Burial is more eco friendly..nothing is wasted-everything is turned back to nature- 

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Vekseid

To be honest I consider it to be the most sensible of the three. Burial at sea might be similar...

Aeval

Quote from: Vekseid on December 03, 2008, 10:05:31 PM
To be honest I consider it to be the most sensible of the three. Burial at sea might be similar...
*curtsying* I agree, Sire

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

The Overlord

QuoteA monk arrived, looking more like a butcher, and in his hand there was a big and heavy axe. He sat next to the skeleton and started to crush the bones one after the other. He was working there in the sun for almost an hour, crushing the skeleton to pieces. He even crushed the skull, took out the brain, and added it to the big pile. The sound of the axe hitting the bones and the rock will never leave me till my last day.

:o

Caity

The guy who wrote this is way attached to his physical body. 

The Overlord

Quote from: Caitilicious on December 04, 2008, 01:08:20 AM
The guy who wrote this is way attached to his physical body. 

And who isn't?  :-\

Revolverman

Caity

But once it's dead, it's useless..

The Overlord

Very true, but it's pretty useful until then.

This thing is fairly nasty, even if it's a natural 'disposal'. Meh...I'll settle for a Viking funeral.

Revolverman

Bury me in a farm, so I can feed people with my corpse

The Overlord

Quote from: Revolverman on December 04, 2008, 01:52:25 AM
Bury me in a farm, so I can feed people with my corpse

I'm all for green technology...but not Soylent Green.  :-X

Revolverman

Quote from: The Overlord on December 04, 2008, 02:06:09 AM
I'm all for green technology...but not Soylent Green.  :-X

No one has to know.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: The Overlord on December 04, 2008, 01:48:44 AM
Meh...I'll settle for a Viking funeral.

A man after my own heart.

When I'm gone , I'm gone. Rip out whatever is still useful, torch the rest.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.