News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Town of Elliquiy <Interest Check>

Started by NaughtyKitty, December 12, 2010, 08:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haibane

Whoa. This got some interest!

Not wanting to try to replicate a past experience but in a previous game like this the GM did try to arrange events a little and steer things along when it was needed, suggesting character moves and such. Nothing too pushy, just enough guidance to keep the pot bubbling.

Can I make some suggestions please?

I think all the characters should start close to each other, certainly within the same neighbourhood, maybe on the same block. That way we can all bump into our neighbours and friends without some characters being miles away across town.

This means all characters need to be of a similar social class, simply because of the way town demographics go in our society. It could be a manual labour blue collar part of town or a clerical white collar part or a more upper class elite part. If we go for a blue collar area we could still have white collar characters who are maybe salesmen or execs passing through and staying at a motel or small boarding house etc.

So I think the first criteria for making the game seem more real is to fix a style and flavour of the neighbourhood and the characters should merge in with that in a beleivable way. The way the previous few posts are heading it looks like a blue collar area but not a run-down one. We're still on the right side of the tracks, just.

Another element I think that helps make the game glue together is to create relationships and character links that will help us focus. For example there could be a single mother living with her daughter. Across the street lives one of the town cops. The mom has the hots for the cop but the cop has the hots for her daughter and at night actually spies into her room from across the street.

Down the block is an auto repair shop. Two brothers run it one of whom is an ex-con and the cop always keeps an eye on them, trying to catch the ex-con out or trip him up. They have a young lad apprentice/pump jockey working there who is the boyfriend of the single mom's daughter... etc, etc...

So the characters get woven together into a spaghetti-ball of linked affairs and desires and sub-plots.

It takes a bit of pre-start up work but is worth the effort and is a lot more fun than A, B, C, and D living in a town and randomly bumping into each other.

The scenery of the town may need a bit of planning. Is there a beach? Some small docks? Maybe our neighbourhood consists of some houses, a corner store, an auto repair shop and a diner or pub. Perhaps there's a small motel on the beach road. A bit of geography combined with a really simple map and a few defined places of work (does our daughter do waitress work in the diner? Or serve drinks in the pub?) and so on... It is wise to limit who works where. If everyone chooses to be a pub owner or motel owner etc then everyone would each be spending their day at work and hardly meet! So limiting the workplaces to one or two to begin with might help that syndrome.

Just ideas, just tossing them out there. Feel free to disagree!

Kate

I love this idea.

Suggestions so far I like also - this could be really amazing its like second life within E.

I liked Haibane's suggestions and I do want to include some of hers with what I had in mind which what will work (in my view).

Hailbanes suggestions

- A suggestion from the gms for a character to go somehere - Love it - this ideally I think
could be like omens - giving you a sign or dreams (ideally integrated into role play).

eg a gms post could be minimal and like this:

"Skittering around on your toes while reaching for the can of corn on the supermarket shelf for some strange reason evoked a longing in you one to dance again, how long had it been ? you recall a flyer about a club opening .. why not check it out yo think to yourself (Then link to the club)"

Starting close to each other ? I like it it does help, but nothing too solid, perhaps a few hobbys
listed or social groups (sports / bars / gyms / witches coven etc) and you have to be a member of at least 2 (so implying you heard or know of another can be easy)

Living in the same hood / social class ? - I have an alternative idea... see more below

Those living close or Friends you have you being linked in your profile ? Yes .. optional but encouraged. ie many (But not all) character profiles have a hyperlink section to acquaintances / friends / enemies / anyone that evokes an emotional interest (good or bad). Those living close by
being a hyper-linked section in peoples profiles is more encouraged (and less likely to change that often)

Now here is some suggestions I have.

Each person that is on elli have different fav thread areas (Non-con/extreme/bondage/whatever)
their suburb their house is in and their character is a thread in that "location"

So there are as many suburbs in the town as therea re major areas of elli concerning role play types
(light bondage / nc / extreme.etc) The suburbs are not called that of course .. they are just threads groups in that area ..

Concerning social status or social classes... everyone's wants freedom and to be rich.

How about those that want to have wealthy characters are ones that have more conditions - rich characters effectively should always obey and gm decision or suggestions / omens. - these can also be direct in a pm - without role playing it - so a gm can say "finance this / build this in this suburb"
(effectively telling them to create a post with links etc which are relevant) and thats the end of it - rich characters who want to stay wealthy obey... ie they effectively are the "workers" for the gm making buildings (threads areas).- they don't do it - they find themselves out of luck concerning wealth / return to see their house trashed etc.

Poorer characters are under less obligation to do anything at all ... they are more free spirits

lorcan

Hmm id like that suggestion it makes things interesting and gives the players more of a hand in the world and will ultimately keep the interest brewing.

Lunarice

I'd like to join, throwing in a nurse at the medical clinic.  Working with someone on joined histories would also be welcome.

RubySlippers

I want to run the towns game store, come on this could be nest be a gamer running a character for people to in-game be gamers.  ;D

Just give me a storefront, small place to live upstairs and likely the shop will have games and other things including an internet presence and gaming space for games and tournaments. And munchies, gamers need munchies when playing Dungeons & Dragons and CCG's.

Parlabane

This sounds interesting, and I'd like to be involved somewhere, so I'll see if any interesting character ideas come to mind. I like Haibane and Kate's ideas for organisation, though.

lorcan

Hmm id like to play an old money philantropist, who runs the local fetish social club who in his spare time organizes munches and play parties at his manor.

Josietta

Quote from: lorcan on December 14, 2010, 12:40:38 PM
Hmm id like to play an old money philantropist, who runs the local fetish social club who in his spare time organizes munches and play parties at his manor.

O.o  Hugh Hefner?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Amelita

Quote from: Kate on December 14, 2010, 07:48:30 AM

Each person that is on elli have different fav thread areas (Non-con/extreme/bondage/whatever)
their suburb their house is in and their character is a thread in that "location"

So there are as many suburbs in the town as therea re major areas of elli concerning role play types
(light bondage / nc / extreme.etc) The suburbs are not called that of course .. they are just threads groups in that area ..

This might get confusing and easier for threads to get lost. Isn't it easier to have it all under one "roof" and then each person can label their home thread with their preferred tag (inside the thread, not the thread name)?

Amelia's House
All play here is limited to the Bondage category

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Josietta

Quote from: Amelia on December 14, 2010, 01:25:21 PM
This might get confusing and easier for threads to get lost. Isn't it easier to have it all under one "roof" and then each person can label their home thread with their preferred tag (inside the thread, not the thread name)?

Amelia's House
All play here is limited to the Bondage category

Agreed.  Too many threads  can kill an RP quickly.  Posting labels would be ideal.

like what Ame posted  or something like..

Josi visits Ame [Ame's house - BON]

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Haibane

Nods. The fewer threads the better. The more people in each thread the better too. I don't mean necessarily in the same scene but in the same locale. Its easier to keep track of events that way.

For example if there is a thread called THE PUB and 4 pairs of characters are each conducting a scene in there, they all use the same thread, even though they may be in different rooms.

Also, bear in mind that if the game reaches 1000 IC posts it can apply for its own Big Group Board. When that happens ALL threads get moved into the HIGHEST RATED category, so it might be worth starting every thread under the NC banner anyway (or BON if the consensus is that NC is a bit too far fetched for a quiet township type game).

NaughtyKitty

Ok...so I know this was my idea.....but as I mentioned before, I don't want to GM this game.  I want everyone to determine their own stories.  Hence, I'm not big on the idea of anybody pointing anyone in a direction or telling them to do something.  However, I will take care of building the town, maps, maintaining the character bio thread, etc. 

As for threads....I agree with Haibane on the number of threads. I'm told the number of permanent threads is limited to 2 per player.  Anyway, I like the idea of having a Pub thread or a hospital thread or a game store thread.  Each one of these would be "owned" by the proprietor...while that person could have a "home" thread owned by the head of the house hold. 

Neighborhood:  The town itself is not a large place. I want to have different neighborhoods, each having their own characteristics.  The well off folks live in one neighborhood (perhaps on the water).  The middle class folks off in another. Etc and so forth.  Obviously the different businesses run by the characters would spread amongst the neighborhoods. The also widens the possibilities for businesses.  Ie a regular pub in one neighborhood...a wine bar/jazz club in another. 

Thoughts?

Love And Submission

Sounds great to me. Are you going to be posting character sheets soon by the way?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

jantraveller2010

Hi there, very interested in this. I don't have much time right now, but happy to set up a character sheet.

I would play a youger girl, maybe in a family with parents and siblings ( any takers?) probably 17, shy nerdy, very innocent.

Would go for NC as my thoughts extend to being pushed sexually, rape even, possible incest possible age gap, ... Essentially pushed into more and more experiences , possibly not entirely non con, but often very close, and sometimes totally!
Jan
Roleplayer in training

GaGa88

Quote from: jantraveller2010 on December 15, 2010, 11:17:41 AM
Hi there, very interested in this. I don't have much time right now, but happy to set up a character sheet.

I would play a youger girl, maybe in a family with parents and siblings ( any takers?) probably 17, shy nerdy, very innocent.

Would go for NC as my thoughts extend to being pushed sexually, rape even, possible incest possible age gap, ... Essentially pushed into more and more experiences , possibly not entirely non con, but often very close, and sometimes totally!

I could take one of the sibling roles. Maybe a twin? The two girls couldn't be more different, though. My character would be more outgoing, popular and not so innocent.
You took my sadness out of context
At the Mariner's apartment complex
I ain't no candle in the wind
I'm the bolt, the lightning, the thunder
Kind of girl who's gonna make you wonder
Who you are and who you been.

Josietta

How about we get this ball rolling??

A basic character bio maybe??  Feel free to change or delete things as you see fit Kitty.

[b]Character Name:

Orientation:
Job:[/b]

[b]Appearance[/b] (With or without a picture)

[b]Height:[/b] (This can be listed in feet/inches and/or meters/centimeters)
[b]Weight:[/b] (Preferrably listed in pounds)
[b]Body Type:[/b] (Athletic, Toned, Curvaceous, Average, Plump, etc)
[b]Hair Color:[/b] (Black, Blonde, Brown, Red, Purple, White, etc)
[b]Eye Color:[/b] (Brown, Blue, Green, Amber, Hazel, Grey, [this can be any natural color or any within reason by colored contacts)
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b] (whether these are Birthmarks, Scars, Tattoos, and/or Piercings)

[b]Personality[/b]

[b]Likes:[/b] (Character Ons, and actual likes -- ie, scents, foods, books, movies, etc)
[b]Dislikes:[/b] (Character Offs, and actual dislikes -- ie certain odors - not just smelly ones but maybe the scent of honey or coconut, sweating, running, rude pushy people, etc)
[b]Absolutely Nots:[/b] (Do not go there things.)
[b]
History:[/b]

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Lisabeth

Quote from: jantraveller2010 on December 15, 2010, 11:17:41 AM

I would play a younger girl, maybe in a family with parents and siblings ( any takers?) probably 17, shy nerdy, very innocent.

Quote from: GaGa88 on December 15, 2010, 12:51:14 PM
I could take one of the sibling roles. Maybe a twin? The two girls couldn't be more different, though. My character would be more outgoing, popular and not so innocent.

I was going to play a much younger and baggage free character but iv never played a character with a family and it sounds like a lot of fun. So if you guys would like i can take the role of single mom to your girls. Maybe instead of Bartender i could be working with Lunarice at her Clinic, something like that.
"Searchers of Horror haunt strange, far places..."
         ..... H.P. Lovecraft

GaGa88

Quote from: Lisabeth on December 15, 2010, 03:37:40 PM
I was going to play a much younger and baggage free character but iv never played a character with a family and it sounds like a lot of fun. So if you guys would like i can take the role of single mom to your girls. Maybe instead of Bartender i could be working with Lunarice at her Clinic, something like that.

It sounds like a fun idea, it's cool with me. :)
You took my sadness out of context
At the Mariner's apartment complex
I ain't no candle in the wind
I'm the bolt, the lightning, the thunder
Kind of girl who's gonna make you wonder
Who you are and who you been.

Cal1496

Yay!  Can't wait!  Totally going to have a very classic style pub.  Low lighting, comfy chairs, a kitchen which while good has a small and reliable menu.  And of course a back room for billiards and darts.

jantraveller2010

Hi there,

GaGa/Lisabeth sounds nice. All girls together.. lots of hormones... me getting to hear.. see .... imagine things.... maybe things spill over... :)
Jan
Roleplayer in training

Josietta

I'd love to pick up a waitress job at the pub

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

NaughtyKitty

That'll do for a start. We'll have to add an entry for an address when I have time to sit down and come up with the map!

Quote from: Josietta on December 15, 2010, 01:45:25 PM
How about we get this ball rolling??

A basic character bio maybe??  Feel free to change or delete things as you see fit Kitty.

[b]Character Name:

Orientation:
Job:[/b]

[b]Appearance[/b] (With or without a picture)

[b]Height:[/b] (This can be listed in feet/inches and/or meters/centimeters)
[b]Weight:[/b] (Preferrably listed in pounds)
[b]Body Type:[/b] (Athletic, Toned, Curvaceous, Average, Plump, etc)
[b]Hair Color:[/b] (Black, Blonde, Brown, Red, Purple, White, etc)
[b]Eye Color:[/b] (Brown, Blue, Green, Amber, Hazel, Grey, [this can be any natural color or any within reason by colored contacts)
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b] (whether these are Birthmarks, Scars, Tattoos, and/or Piercings)

[b]Personality[/b]

[b]Likes:[/b] (Character Ons, and actual likes -- ie, scents, foods, books, movies, etc)
[b]Dislikes:[/b] (Character Offs, and actual dislikes -- ie certain odors - not just smelly ones but maybe the scent of honey or coconut, sweating, running, rude pushy people, etc)
[b]Absolutely Nots:[/b] (Do not go there things.)
[b]
History:[/b]

NaughtyKitty

Just because I can.....and even though I don't have a character created yet, I think I'm going to go ahead and call two things in town:

1) I want to play the Mayor.  :)
2) I want to own a car repair/performance shop  (I don't think anyone mentioned that....)

Can't wait to get the game going. If you've got a character sheet (and a photo if you'd like to add one), go ahead and PM me...and I'll get the character thread started.  :)

ivygrowth

I am thinking that my housewife character will work as a part-time waitress.  If at the pub that has been previously discussed that would be nice, if not probably at some bar (the dirtier the better). 

I thought about her owning a bar, but don't see her caring enough to want to run a business.  Unless someone was interested in being her manager, while she plays waitress/bartender?  If she owned a bar it would be the seedy, biker bar type.

Kate

i agree wiht all views however in my own house I would like extreme things to be ok without annoying rules or guidelines.

How can I "be myself" though and talk of extreme things in a thread that is NC or whatever ?

Some houses "there" (in may be necessary - from the perspective of anyone using the town though they dont know - they press a link and presto thats were they are ... travel back with a link elsewhere - poof they are back in a thread that is nc.