The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 15, 2015, 10:51:09 AM
I liked Arrow season 1 and 2. Season 3 was okay, the flashback with Tatsu and and her family were better then season 4. It added more dramatic tension. What I didn't like was suddenly at the end Felicity happily jumped into Oliver's arms and they rode off into the sunset. That came out of no where, especially after all Oliver did previously. Issues I have with Season 4, granted I like Felicity, but the show is relying heavily on the Oliver/Felicity relationship which has taken over most plots. I feel the show has lost some of its bite. And, the death and resurrection has become commonplace and overused.

Flash is definitely lighthearted compared to Arrow. The Flash is sort of the comedian of the group. Trying to keep things light when things get serious. Personally, I loved season 1. Season 2 even better. They have been bringing in other villains because, there was the rip between worlds which allowed Jay Garrick to come through. Atom Smasher. King Shark. Grodd was a major Flash enemy. STAR Labs was based on creating new tech. The outside the box thinking. It was shown in Arrow in season 2, Kaitlyn and Cisco were commenting on a former scientist who worked for Star Labs who created dangerous things and was called a psycho. Cisco used that weird gun on Slade when he came to the warehouse. So, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility to create an alchemy gun.

Comic books are about things not normally possible. They did acknowledge that after the particle accelerator blew up, that it changed everything. But, here is the question, Deathbolt wasn't in Central City when the accelerator blew. How did he get his powers? Yet, magic seems to have existed prior to the accelerator exploding. So, is it possible meta humans were already in existance, and the accelerator only "activated" those with dormant powers like Cisco?

Deathbolt is the guy with the Cyclops-like power, right? Yeah, that bumped me too. Lots of intriguing possibilities there. But it's weird he's the only one that's surfaced that got on anyone's radar.

I preferred Felicity and Ray Palmer, not just because I thought Routh did a fantastic job (where was that in Superman Returns? Oh wait, that one couldn't be saved by anyone, even the legendary Bryan Singer...) but he had better chemistry with Felicity than Oliver and frankly I'd understand her being attracted to Palmer and not Ollie, so...kind of a letdown. Besides, that spark with Laurel seemed to always linger and while her character annoys the piss out of me, I'm comfortable with her and Oliver being a couple.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

In season 2, Oliver had told Felicity that he loved her which got Slade to kidnap her so she could inject him with the Mirakuru cure. Season 3, they tried to date, but Oliver put the brakes on it after the new Count Vertigo nearly killed them while on a date. Then, Felicity started dating Ray. Even when she was technically still with Ray, Felicity slept with Oliver while in Nanda Par Bat. I kinda feel that they are letting the romance take over the focus of the show.

Oliver seems hostile to Laurel at times. Granted her character has a hard edge but she can stand on her own. Frankly, I'd prefer her with Wildcat in the show. The people running the show pretty much said it was over between Oliver and Laurel. That they weren't getting back together.

And, that also begs the question, how did Damien Darhk get his powers. Was he always telekinetic? Yeah, Deathbolt shot the beams from his eyes. It seems both shows have opened more doors with more questions that will probably be answered. Legends of Tomorrow will deal with time travel. So, they will probably encounter more superpowered characters.

Mathim

I should probably say, please stop spoiling things, but a bit late...

It just seems that, from what I saw of Flash season 1 and what I'm hearing about Arrow/Flash current seasons that these guys aren't really going to need their own shows, and the only reason for them to have a solo series is to keep the supporting cast relevant. Thoughts? I mean, if I were in charge I'd take a step back and say, "Hmm, could we maybe merge these shows somehow and just have one running with both sides staying in the loop instead of being mostly separate entities, thus saving some $ and not interrupting the production of Legends of Tomorrow?"
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

The one thing that could become repetitive is the resetting time each time someone does something to alter the timeline, and consequently jump the shark. Barry has done this now several times. What would have been interesting is if the season 2 would have dealt with the Flashpoint story arc? Barry wakes up in the new alternate world where his mother is alive. Though another question, when Barry altered time in the first season, wouldn't that have affected Arrow in someway?

With Legends of Tomorrow, there is talk circulating several articles that Robbie Amell maybe returning as Firestorm?

mia h

Legends of Tomorrow is CW's way to extend the Arrowverse, they're not going to cut down from 3 shows to 1. I think Flash is the highest rated show on CW any exec that thinks "This show is giving us great ratings and advertising income. Hey here's a great idea, lets have less of it." is going to out of a job. Arrow and Flash aren't going to last forever and something like LoT gives the producers a great way to test drive characters before lining them up for spin-offs or replacement shows. Especially as LoT is rumoured to be an anthology show, so that if it gets a second season the cast will probably be very different with rumors of the return of John Constantine.

As for Robbie Amell turning up, I wouldn't hold your breath he's been busy with the X-Files and making movies. And not really sure that Barry hitting the reset switch twice counts as several times  :P
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Rumor for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Apparently, there is going to be talks held with Kurt Russell to possibly play Starlord's father! According to an article, he was the director's top pick for the role.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 15, 2015, 07:58:46 PM
Rumor for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Apparently, there is going to be talks held with Kurt Russell to possibly play Starlord's father! According to an article, he was the director's top pick for the role.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 15, 2015, 07:58:46 PM

Hard to imagine Snake Plissken/Larry the Stuntman (from Deathproof) being 'an angel all made up of lights' as Peter's mother described, but hey, they've got all the special effects budget they want, so...yeah, I'm on board with that. Just wondering how they're going to veer away from the original J'Son of Spartax origin which is what Gunn didn't want for Star-Lord's pop.

Haven't seen Kurt Russell in anything superhero-related since Sky High. I wonder if there's any other role in the MCU he might have filled as good or better than as Daddy Quill.

SapphireStar

And, Yondu pretty much called Starlord's the opposite. So, Kurt Russell could pull off the comedic riffing. Overboard. Big Trouble in Little China. He was just in Fast 7, and rumors for him to possible in the next Fast and Furious movie. Kurt Russell can also do serious, heavy duty drama like Tombstone. That, and he got his start doing a bunch of Disney movies like the Barefoot Executive.  They could also employ the software used in Tron: Legacy to deage Jeff Bridges to make him appear younger.

Switching to another cinematic universe, not sure if it falls under superhero, but G.I.Joe, Rom Spaceknight and Micronauts are getting their own cinematic universes.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 16, 2015, 12:01:20 AM
And, Yondu pretty much called Starlord's the opposite. So, Kurt Russell could pull off the comedic riffing. Overboard. Big Trouble in Little China. He was just in Fast 7, and rumors for him to possible in the next Fast and Furious movie. Kurt Russell can also do serious, heavy duty drama like Tombstone. That, and he got his start doing a bunch of Disney movies like the Barefoot Executive.  They could also employ the software used in Tron: Legacy to deage Jeff Bridges to make him appear younger.

Switching to another cinematic universe, not sure if it falls under superhero, but G.I.Joe, Rom Spaceknight and Micronauts are getting their own cinematic universes.

G.I. Joe, probably technically not, but the others, sure. Too bad Marvel doesn't own ROM's rights, I think it's just owned by a toy company or something even though they published comics featuring the character. But whoever else is producing them ought to know it's not going to do as well without Marvel's backing. Plus, think how well ROM would tie in with Guardians, or the Micronauts would tie in with Ant-Man. Such a waste of potential.

SapphireStar

Came across a news article, apparently Stephen Amell has expressed interest in playing both sides of the comic book universe. He said he would like to possibly play a Marvel character. He's not the only one. Apparently, Matthew McConaughey has been receiving scripts from both sides.

CaptainNexus616

Not really that surprising since Ryan Reynolds jumped around a bit from being a bad Deadpool, to a CG suit Green Lantern then back to being hopefully a better Deadpool.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

There is supposed to be a new Deadpool trailer dropping around Christmas. There was to be a Twelve Days of Deadpool, where a bunch of sites were to show something Deadpool related. Plus a new poster was released.

People thought Chris Evans was a poor casting choice for Captain America since he played Johnny Storm in the two Fantastic Four movies. Speaking of which, apparently Julian McMahon has expressed interest in returning to play Doctor Doom if the script is right.

Look what happened when James Marsten left the X-Men franchise to play Jimmy Olsen in Superman Returns. They killed off Cyclops! Though Morena Baccairn is playing more then one superhero type character. She was the uncredited voice for Gideon in the first season of The Flash; playing Vanessa Carisle/Copycat in the upcoming Deadpool movie; and playing Dr. Leslie Thompkins on Gotham. Donal Logue who is play Det. Harvey Bullock was in the first Blade movie playing one of the vampires. 

The question would be who would Stephen Amell play in a movie from the Marvel universe? Rich Ryder/Nova? David North/Maverick? Venom?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 17, 2015, 01:23:59 AM
There is supposed to be a new Deadpool trailer dropping around Christmas. There was to be a Twelve Days of Deadpool, where a bunch of sites were to show something Deadpool related. Plus a new poster was released.

People thought Chris Evans was a poor casting choice for Captain America since he played Johnny Storm in the two Fantastic Four movies. Speaking of which, apparently Julian McMahon has expressed interest in returning to play Doctor Doom if the script is right.

Look what happened when James Marsten left the X-Men franchise to play Jimmy Olsen in Superman Returns. They killed off Cyclops! Though Morena Baccairn is playing more then one superhero type character. She was the uncredited voice for Gideon in the first season of The Flash; playing Vanessa Carisle/Copycat in the upcoming Deadpool movie; and playing Dr. Leslie Thompkins on Gotham. Donal Logue who is play Det. Harvey Bullock was in the first Blade movie playing one of the vampires. 

The question would be who would Stephen Amell play in a movie from the Marvel universe? Rich Ryder/Nova? David North/Maverick? Venom?

How about a villain: Taskmaster. But only in the Netflix/AoS TV stuff, not the movies.

SapphireStar

Taskmaster would be perfect for the next Deadpool movie. The two have a history of rivalry, and plus the fact he can mimic anything he sees would be awesome. He could cross over to the other movies since Taskmaster has copied other heroes like Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, etc. Depending on the scheduling for Arrow as well as possible guest starring on Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, it might not be possible to work on other tv shows. He can do a movie while Arrow is on hiatus like he did with the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Amell is playing Casey Jones.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 17, 2015, 10:30:50 AM
Taskmaster would be perfect for the next Deadpool movie. The two have a history of rivalry, and plus the fact he can mimic anything he sees would be awesome. He could cross over to the other movies since Taskmaster has copied other heroes like Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, etc. Depending on the scheduling for Arrow as well as possible guest starring on Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, it might not be possible to work on other tv shows. He can do a movie while Arrow is on hiatus like he did with the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Amell is playing Casey Jones.

Well Fox doesn't own the rights to him as far as I know, so he can't appear there most likely (though Deadpool's immunity to his ability is humorous) and if he doesn't have at least super-soldier level enhancement (they'll have to get creative to change that aspect of his character) then even if he can memorize anyone's moves, it won't help if they have superior strength and speed. That's not the only reason I suggested Amell stick to TV, though. I honestly just don't think he's ready for the leap yet. Give him a different role of somewhat prominence and see how he does with that, I say. But Taskmaster would work better against someone like Daredevil and Iron Fist, both of whom are martial artists without too great of an edge superpower-wise. At least with Iron Fist, his strengthened fist does no good if Taskmaster can dodge him. Those are the ones who would consider him a serious threat. Them, and the good guys on Agents of SHIELD that aren't Inhumans. Seems like right now would be the perfect time for HYDRA to trot out this super-merc, right? Or maybe they are saving him for Iron Fist, which would be awesome.

CaptainNexus616

Honestly if your not watching Agents of SHIELD, you get the distinct feeling Hydra lost all the threat it possessed in the movies. Heck Age of Ultron opened up with the Avengers steamrolling an entire fortified complex with no effort.

Then in Ant-Man they were practically being muscled by the bad guy if they wanted...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yellowjacket Fuel for the suit. Red Skull would have pulled his laser pistol out and shot the guy while talking about being the superior man

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 19, 2015, 12:24:50 AM
Honestly if your not watching Agents of SHIELD, you get the distinct feeling Hydra lost all the threat it possessed in the movies. Heck Age of Ultron opened up with the Avengers steamrolling an entire fortified complex with no effort.

Then in Ant-Man they were practically being muscled by the bad guy if they wanted...
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Yellowjacket Fuel for the suit. Red Skull would have pulled his laser pistol out and shot the guy while talking about being the superior man

'Scuse me? I'm watching Agents of SHIELD and I STILL get the distinct impression that HYDRA would do well to have a talking to like the Joker gave the mob in The Dark Knight; "What happened, did your balls drop off? Hmm?" It's like they're 10 years behind SHIELD still in terms of strategy for how to overcome whatever is standing in their way. I guess that comes from being a disparate bunch of selfish creeps, that never makes for good collaboration or teamwork (hence why it's so hard to swallow that they were able to infiltrate SHIELD and other places for so long undetected) but it sure makes it believable to see how they're being taken down so easily.

I mean, just look at it like this:
"Oh, SHIELD has Captain America going around kicking all kinds of ass! Let's hardly ever use our own super-soldier, the Winter Soldier, to the point people don't even believe he exists!"

"Oh, the Avengers are pounding our army's asses and advancing on our base! Let's create enhanced soldiers with the scepter we stole! Oh, all but two of them died. Let's not let the twins do anything to help, those twins whose home country we're purposely committing lots of collateral damage on, they'll totally stay loyal to us!"

Insert cuckoo clock sound effect here.

SapphireStar

HYDRA is making a big play to add some Inhumans to their side
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3
See episode Maveth
as seen by Galick played by Powers Boothe, who incidentally was one of the council memebers Nick Fury talked to in the first Avengers movie, so it seems not all HYDRA power players have been taken out. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in creating Crossbones.

New details for Arrow and Flash have been revealed for the next part of the season. Vixen will be appearing on Arrow. She will be played by the same actress who does the character voice on the animated miniseries they did. So, no introductions needed to Arrow/Oliver Queen as they have already met. Flash is adding Geomancer to their roster, played by Adam Stafford who was in Peter Pan. Also, Matt Nable will be returning to the Arrow/Flash universe as Ra's al Ghul mostly on Legends of Tomorrow.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on December 19, 2015, 07:04:39 PM
HYDRA is making a big play to add some Inhumans to their side
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2
See episode Maveth
as seen by Galick played by Powers Boothe, who incidentally was one of the council memebers Nick Fury talked to in the first Avengers movie, so it seems not all HYDRA power players have been taken out. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a hand in creating Crossbones.

New details for Arrow and Flash have been revealed for the next part of the season. Vixen will be appearing on Arrow. She will be played by the same actress who does the character voice on the animated miniseries they did. So, no introductions needed to Arrow/Oliver Queen as they have already met. Flash is adding Geomancer to their roster, played by Adam Stafford who was in Peter Pan. Also, Matt Nable will be returning to the Arrow/Flash universe as Ra's al Ghul mostly on Legends of Tomorrow.

You mean season 3, and it's Malick, but whatever they're after, it's going to blow up in their face. The only thing HYDRA can really use to pose a threat seems to be Crossbones and whatever Baron Zemo's got up his sleeve (presumably whatever allowed the horribly burned and injured Rumlow to get back in the game, and presumably also the stolen Cross Particles from the end of Ant-Man). I'm glad Infinity War is upping the stakes enough that HYDRA really can now be put on the back burner or just ignored outside the TV universe. Once you start going up against that kind of cosmic threat, anything the people on earth can do just doesn't seem that threatening.

CaptainNexus616

They felt like a threat in Winter Soldier since it was only Cap going against them and it was hard to know who to trust.

After they were exposed and watching all the Avengers wrecking them...they feel like the Team Rocket of the MCU now. Doomed to fail lol

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 21, 2015, 04:15:15 PM
They felt like a threat in Winter Soldier since it was only Cap going against them and it was hard to know who to trust.

After they were exposed and watching all the Avengers wrecking them...they feel like the Team Rocket of the MCU now. Doomed to fail lol

That's exactly it, Team Rocket, perfect metaphor. They were only ever good at what they were doing while they were infiltrating SHIELD throughout post-WWII history. Once they came to light they lost all sense of proportion and logic.

I'd really like someone to just say fuck it and renounce their ties to HYDRA and form their own, alternate organization with those Inhumans that were being created. Let HYDRA die and be replaced with something that has no history of failure and embarrassment AND which can START OUT with a small army of superhumans. Seriously, why has no one thought of this yet? This whole insane loyalty to HYDRA thing is really stupid. It barely made sense when it was the Red Skull being treated like a god who was worth sacrificing one's life for, it's even less cohesive.

CaptainNexus616

Changing gears for a little bit let me ask the people of the thread something. Who are your favorite actors in the Superhero Genre as whole? Counting Marvel, DC, and even the lesser known ones like Spawn, Dredd and such.

Me I have to say Charlie Cox from Daredevil is one of them. Yes I am a die hard fan of the show but tell me how many other actors can you find that can pull off acting blind like he did?

While Jack Nicholson was probably my favorite Joker tieing with Mark Hamil's performance as the Clown Prince of Crime.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on December 22, 2015, 07:53:38 AM
Changing gears for a little bit let me ask the people of the thread something. Who are your favorite actors in the Superhero Genre as whole? Counting Marvel, DC, and even the lesser known ones like Spawn, Dredd and such.

Me I have to say Charlie Cox from Daredevil is one of them. Yes I am a die hard fan of the show but tell me how many other actors can you find that can pull off acting blind like he did?

While Jack Nicholson was probably my favorite Joker tieing with Mark Hamil's performance as the Clown Prince of Crime.

Heath Ledger's Joker. Seriously, nobody has ever come as close as he did to capturing the same hypnotically enticing evil as Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter from the Silence of the Lambs. You honestly had to root for the guy no matter how fucked up the stuff he was doing was. Whether or not he died, that deserved the Oscar he won, to hell with anyone who says otherwise.

SapphireStar

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. At first I wasn't sure he could pull it off, now can't think of anyone else who could pull off the character like he did.

Rebecca Romijn as Mystique

Michelle Pfieffer as Selena Kyle/Catwoman was the best portrayal so far on the silver screen. No one has come close to pulling off the character with the same intensity and seductive quality the character had in the comics.

Erica Durance as Lois Lance really brought the character to life. Though my favorite is still Margot Kidder. I watched the Christopher Reeves movies as a kid. Christopher Reeves will always be Superman. Coming in close second in a tie are Brandon Routh and Tom Welling for Clark Kent/superman.

Tie between Michael Keaton and Christian Bale for Bruce Wayne/Batman for live action. Both embodied the character.

Kevin Conroy ultimate voice actor for Bruce Wayne/batman

Mark Hamill was the best Joker. Though Heath Ledger did a phenomenal job portraying a darker version of the character.

Jensen Ackels as Jason Todd/Red Hood in the animated movie Batman: Under the Red Hood

There are just so many awesome actors who have played various superheroes or villains to name. Look at the animated series all the well known actors who have brought so many to life with their voices like Michael Ironside, Clancy Brown as Lex Luthor, John Rhys-Davies, Morena Baccarin, Amy Acker, Nathan Fillion, Michael T. Weiss, Michael Rosenbaum as Flash and Deadshot, Adam Baldwin and more.