OctaNe! A game of post-modern trash culture America

Started by Lancis, January 12, 2008, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancis

if its a campy B Movie.. it exsists in the post-apocalyptic world of OctaNe...

Talking Apes, Elvis Impersonators, Mad Max's cousin George... all of it in this game...

If it it from a campy B movie you can pretty much play it in OctaNe!

Six String Samurai's, HellJacks (hellboy), Kitt, Buck Rodgers... etc.

From the game itself:

The Former United States of America became “The West” – a
mythic Oz of rust and dust where just about anything could
happen.Travel all the way west, and you hit the remnants of
California.Travel east, and you won’t hit anything – ever.

Nothing exsists East of the Mississippi River... all a vast wasteland of empty roads and ghost towns...

There are many "styles" of story telling for this game... like a Director of a movie, I provide the backdrop the players provide the substence...

What Kitcsh do you want to play?

I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Jefepato

This sounds potentially awesome.

I don't know the system, though.

Mistiq

MadPanda

Boo, as it were, yah!  I'm on board for this one...  ;D
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Lancis

its a very very easy system to learn my friend Madpanda and I have been skimming over the rules (which are few lol) and styles

From the book :)

Creating a Character
Before you even start writing down character stuff, close your
eyes and imagine your character doing something cool.Don’t
worry about his name or what he looks like or what his personality
or history is. Just imagine the character in action.What is he
doing? That’s your character, man. If all else fails, and you can’t
think of what to do in the game, fall back to this mental picture,
and figure out how to get the character into this situation.
Now look at the Roles.There are a bunch of ‘em, so you might
not see one that grabs you right off the bat.Take your time…
and remember that mental picture of your character. If you
don’t see anything that gets your heart racing, or you just have
your own cool idea for a unique character Role, rules for creating
Custom Roles are included at the end of the character section.
But I highly recommend you start with a pre-built Role, if only because they’re a great way to jump right into the game.
Think of Roles as frameworks on which you can build up
your character. Each Role presents a basic character idea that
fits into the world of octaNe (like a heavy metal wizard or a
masked Mexican wrestler).You can use the Role as a starting
point. It’ll give you some suggested Styles, Skills, and Gear that
this kind of character would possess.
Example: Scott thinks about it for a while and decides
on a mental image of his character: a huge masked
man flexing his biceps to the delight of a cheering
crowd. This is so obviously a Masked Luchador that
Scott doesn’t even bother to check out the other Roles.
The image of the posing wrestler gives Scott an immediate
feel for the character. He’s a strong, noble hero
who looks out for the poor and the downtrodden. He’s
a total nice guy with a heart as big as they come… and
a devastating finishing move to boot!
Elements of a Role
Each Role is composed of several elements designed to give
you a quick overview of the character.These are:
Profile: a short paragraph that explains what the character
is all about.
 Stamping Grounds: where the character is likely to be
encountered.
 Quote: something you might hear that type of character
say.
 Mode: a Mode for which that Role is particularly suited.
 Gear: items and equipment that the character may
possess.
 Style: how the character is likely to act in a dramatic
situation.
 Skills: what the character can do (or is known to do).

One important thing to remember is that despite the presence
of Roles, no two characters will be alike. Sure, they may
have stuff in common… but so do folks in the real world. Roles
are just the chassis and wheels.The unique character you
choose to create is the engine… and you’re free to customize
the character with all manner of accessories.

Prebuilt Roles:

Alien Naturalist
Ape-Man Islander
Bad-ass Mofo’
Capuchin Monkey
Classic Smartcar
Crazed Aviator
Crusty Sea Captain
Death-Rock Siren
Desert Chieftain
Disco Robot Gigolo
Drag Strip Queen
Elvis Impersonator
Fast-Food Ninja
'Frisco Diver
Greasemonkey
Hard-Rock Caveman
HellJack
High-Plains Drifter
Ingenious Tinkerer
Japanese Super Hero
Killah Klown
Masked Luchador
Metallurgist
Monster Smasher
Mutant Trucker
Old Sawbones
Ostrich Wrangler
Outlaw Biker
Plucky Kid
Punk Rawk Zombie
Renegade Mobster
Repo-Man
Road Warrior
Roller-Girl
Six-String Samurai
Smartcar Rustler
Speed Racer
Straight-laced G-Man
Stuntman Heretic
Swashbuckling Pirate
Techno-Shaman
Two-Fisted Padre
Ultra Vixen
Weird-but-Cute Pet
Worm Surfer

If one of these sound good to you i will post the description of it :)

Thanks!

Jefepato

Hmm...should we assume something between Psychotronic and Grindhouse modes?  (After all, the former has no graphic sex or violence, but the latter probably takes things a little too far even for Elliquiy.)

Lancis

between Grindhouse and Arthouse actually i like meaningful games with lots of substance :) that way it can still be adult, and include some fun sexy stuff, and still have a meaning in the end.

Lancis

3 so far.. hmm perhaps one more, i will give it a day, and see i would ideally like 4-6 to make for an interesting game :)

Jefepato

The Death-Rock Siren sounds pretty entertaining, at first glance, although Might/Magic seem a little weird to deal with.  (The Roller-Girl might be fun instead just for sheer incongruity.)

Lancis

yeah thats what Madpanda found out when he created a Helljack... its very much a storytelling system the "gm" mereley sets the backdrops, all the players narrate the game, making it a very live thing. :)

MadPanda

Slightly crunchier than Wushu, without the death spiral mechanic in Risus.   ;D  But yes, the Might vs. Magic thing is a pain, since you can't have both...but then they write roles (like the HellJack) that logically could...

Incidentally, there's also Blood and Steel, which is octaNe does Conan, Herc, and Xena.  ;D 

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go put on some mood music for this one.  I have some Judas Priest and AC/DC around somewhere.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

My problem with Might/Magic wasn't so much that you couldn't have both, but that you needed Plot Points to do anything important with either, and that their meaningful advantages are pretty conditional.  (But I guess they also have the advantage that a Magic skill can probably encompass a wider range of actions than just about anything else.)

I just saw Shoot 'Em Up this last week, but that might be a little too Grindhouse for what we're doing here.  The main character is barely detailed enough to be an octaNe character!

I guess I'll go with the Rollergirl.  The concept is just too hilarious to pass up.

MadPanda

The Plot Point requirement seems fair enough to me, but I guess we'll have to see how this all works out in play.   :)  Especially since it doesn't cost plot points for someone with M/M to engage in Hazard Reduction!

"Here, let me help you out with your little tank problem..."  (rips turret off attacking warbot, rendering it a less dangerous opponent)  "There!  Better?"

In Memory of Bishrook

RubySlippers

Second Hand Part Mech Merc

Yep she has a mech well the chassis of one rather battle damaged when she got it, added what weapons she could, a repaired nuclear power plant after she fixed up the huge crack and reinforced it, some gunpowerder charged one-shot "cannons", some harpoon launchers and a restored old mining laser rather beefed up that fires but boy has to cool off a bit between shots so is damagerous but can't be used much. Its the Serenity of mechs full of quirks, charm and it runs but is an eyesore to many. At least with the retracting industrial chainsaws that come out of the four arms she is pretty good up close and personal. Her goal is to get better weapons for her baby and maybe better armor and a better power plant and maybe a better AI (hers is a reprogrammed pleasuredroids central processor and boy does she have the horrible foul mouth on her but her hologram is cute in the cockpit/quarters of her mech. If is has any grace with all the practice only she can really pilot and fight with it the controls are rather customized and tweaked and her martial arts with it is pretty neat if just had better ranged weapons.

MadPanda

Errr...no has got.  (points to the list of roles)  Mecha, per se, aren't a real big part of octaNe, let alone used and second-hand ones.  That said, the Japanese Super Hero gets a mech.  Have a look:

Role: Japanese Super Hero

Profile: There's only one thing you know for sure, EVERYTHING attacks Tokyo.That's why you're here, to protect your fellow countrymen from the giant radioactive lizards, flying saucers, and American megalomaniacs who would threaten them. Maybe you're a government agent at the controls of a giant robot.Maybe you're a courageous space alien who grows to giant-size and fights the monsters toe to toe.  However you choose to defend your island home, no harm shall come to it. Not on YOUR watch.

Stamping Grounds: Monster Island, Japan, Shangri-L.A.

Quote: “Please raise your tentacles and step away from the oil tanker!”

Mode: Psychotronic

Gear: Picture of old flame, monster detector, box lunch, giant robot

Styles: Daring, Might

Skills: Broken English, fighting,weird powers, toughness, flight

OR perhaps this...

Role: Ingenious Tinkerer

Profile: Out in the wasteland, it is a peculiar sort of fellow who not only survives but actually prospers. Your home is built from old cars and slabs of sheet metal. Your clothes are patched from old rags. But you have clean water that you pull from a well you dug yourself, and you’re using it to irrigate some vegetable gardens out back. Not to mention that the old shower you resurrected actually works!

Stamping Grounds: The Wastelands

Quote: “Don’t throw that out! I’m sure I can find some use for it…"

Mode: Any

Gear: Toolbox, lead pencil, notepad, half-finished gizmo

Styles: Ingenuity

Skills: Building crazy devices, identifying and repairing old technology, inspiration

Or even

Role: Speed Racer

Profile: The son of a famous Japanese engineer, you began to  build your own racers out of plywood and scrap metal. When you were older, you became obsessed with going as fast as possible. You began to design and race your own land jets, mostly for the sheer joy of it – but your quest remains to become the fastest human alive!

Stamping Grounds: The Wastelands, Japan

Quote: “Hah! Let’s see if you can catch me, ha-hah!”

Mode: Psychotronic

Gear: Helmet, flame-retardant racing suit, Jetcar, mirrorshades, scarf

Styles: Daring

Skills: Racing, celebrity status, stunt driving, lightning reflexes, car design

None of these are quite what you've described, but they all come close!  So let's see what we can work out, here... :)

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Any chance at getting a look at these rules? Are they available to download off the net?

Kinda reminds me of Tales from the Floating Vagabond, or something equally silly.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RubySlippers

MadPanda

Quote from: hairyheretic on January 13, 2008, 06:33:25 PM
Any chance at getting a look at these rules? Are they available to download off the net?

Kinda reminds me of Tales from the Floating Vagabond, or something equally silly.

Yes, they are.  Alas, there isn't a freebie version.  I think our main GM has something he's cooking up for player use, though.

I have many fond memories of my first drink at the Vagabond.  I shoulda listened when they said 'Essence of Cute Fuzzy Things' wasn't a good idea...

So far we have, hmmm...a Rollergirl, a HellJack, and a Japanese SuperHero (with giant robot).  I have a sneaking suspicion there will also be a Six String Samurai running about as well.

In Memory of Bishrook

Mistiq

This is going be something I do better watching than playing. I understand it, but I fear the my lack of knowledge to the muses of this game will show..too much.

Lancis

i am working on a lot of copy and pasting lol

I remember Tales from the Floating Vagabond... and yes that has some of that flavor... but the kitsches and cliches are quite different.. you cant hide a shotgun in your tenchcoat in OctaNe :)

or a bazooka for that matter..... lol

Anywho i am requesting a board in Heavy with Rules lol :)

Lancis

We are official (hadnt realized the rules of the boards had changed) lol NCNS Small games we have three threads

a character thread
an ooc thread
and of course and Introduction thread

Each character should write a well thought out opening scene for themselves and i will try to figure out a way to make your roads meet, it should be fun.. it sounds as tho our Hellbabe already has an opening in mind. :)

RubySlippers

Nope my character is an alien from Star Sector 7 and has retillian characteristics but can call on her power and fire to become Gamera- Guardian of the Universe yes the Giant Flying Turtle.

Did I mention she is a really HOT Japese looking woman with reptilian features...

Jefepato

Hmm...I'm going to need to give this some more consideration.

(Also, given that it's in the NC section, exactly what can we expect out of this?)

Lancis

Well to combine Grindhouse at all into the game to have Violence i figured heavy would be fitting.. big explosions, car crashes, stunts of unique and awesome stunning :)

if you disagree i can happily move it, but i did think with big bangs, and possible character deaths Heavy was the best choice :)

Jefepato

Unless I'm incredibly wrong, the Light/Weird/Bondage/NC distinction relates only to the kind of sex involved.  I'm pretty sure the severity of violence has nothing to do with what board something belongs in.

And I have trouble imagining NC sex occurring in octaNe, since PCs are supposed to be heroic and can't be made chumps of.

If it's going to be really gory (yay!) you might want a disclaimer at the beginning of the game thread warning people, but I don't think it's necessary to put it in the NC section (especially since those sections are already overloaded).

Another question: is it necessary to pick four skills absolutely word-for-word from the role listings (some of which don't have more than four), or can they be edited slightly as long as they still fit the archetype closely?