Gauging Interest; XXXCOM or Overwatch-inspired Superheroes

Started by Inerrant Lust, February 15, 2016, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

No hard ideas yet, and to be honest I am struggling to come up with an overall idea so I thought I'd pose the choice here and maybe open the topic up to discussion. In any event...

XXXCOM
Tentative idea is that the plot begins immediately following the council withdrawal of support for the initiative in the first game. XCOM is put on ice. Without resources and with members of the council actively working to sabotage them, the base soon comes under attack. Their goal is no longer the eradication of XCOM as a military entity, but its conversion into an asset. Afterall, the aliens have already won.

While Bradford and Shen manage to escape, the aliens capture the Commander and Dr. Vahlen... along with the PCs. Those with The Gift are then probed and examined, and eventually forced to breed. Others are subjected to examination and modification- the soldiers of XCOM are not unlike ordinary humans, and the aliens are quite intrigued with the use they've made out of Meld. All without them lifting a finger...

Superheroes
Tentative idea is an all superheroes game taking place 20 minutes into the future following an aesthetic very much like Overwatch. Very bright, very colorful, very sexy. Nothing too serious. Problem is, I don't have much of a plot. An idea I have is that the PCs, both heroes and villains, are framed for some crime they didn't commit and have been lumped into the same category. They find themselves hunted and need to clear their names.

Not much, I know... but hey, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm open to suggestions on both ideas, by the way. The XXXCOM story might not even be like the one outlined above at all.

ThisOneGal

I'm at least interested in both.

Dibs on a D.Va clone in the Supers game.

Sain

Overwatchy superheroes sounds pretty fun. Everyone starting out as villains could also work quite nicely. Maybe for plot you could introduce some big conspiracy that some of the villains helped to establish/get going before it got big enough to frame both heroes and villains for something. Would have easy way to force co-operation between those villain PCes with leads with heroes. I imagine some villains who really don't give a damn about their image would need convincing/bribing while others might look to fulfill some ulterior motives by getting the heroe's help to infiltrate/bust various conspiracy facilities. The pact/ceasefire would also be a nice little time bomb to eventually get much PC backstabbery (though I guess if this would be light players should keep in mind not to do too much actual backstabbing).
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Sinestra

As someone in the Overwatch Beta, Overwatch please! :)

Although damn you OneGal, taking my Tank-Main. Lol ;)

I'll call dibs on a Reaper-like character. Evil, used to be good, kind of a terrorist, sort of thing.
"I don't mind that most fictional women look like they have F cups at minimum. I do, however, mind that their brains aren't nearly as... 'developed'."

1SAZ

Both are pretty fantastic in my opinion, but Overwatch gets my vote. Bright and colorful on the outside with some deep and somewhat gritty back story, and all kinds of fun and silly scenarios. Plus, multinational heroes who are essentially stereotypes of their particular home's tropes? Fuck yes!

Niki315

I'm interested in both. I'm not familiar with Overwatch, though I love superheroes and I'm familiar with XCom, though I never played through it. Both of these would be very fun games, and I could help pitch some plot ideas as well.

Inerrant Lust

As it is, I don't feel comfortable running either (especially the superheroes) game because I don't quite yet have a clear picture of what I'd like to do with it- or at least the tone and general structure.

So I'm open to any and all ideas.

Superheroes sounds more sandbox, while XCOM idea could be all about prisoners or something different from the idea I posed above altogether- the start of the guerrilla movement of the second game before the aliens have really solidified control over humanity. Despite all the support for superheroes, I'm leaning towards XCOM simply because I have a better idea of a game that could be run with the concept.

TheFourthShade

If we go the supers angle, I call playing some dumb idea that is poorly made/underpowered.