News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Zombies Ate My Brain! (OOC Thread)

Started by Remiel, November 26, 2010, 08:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Quote from: Leorobin on January 07, 2011, 11:40:32 PM
Last time I got strongly in character it got me killed...XD

You know, I've noticed that too.  It seems like the more "in character" someone gets, the more suspicion they seem to raise in everyone's minds.  I wish that wasn't the case, but it seems to be so. 

Strangely enough, in the very first of these games I participated in, the Wars of the Roses II, that was the game in which I was the biggest ham of all, and yet somehow managed to survive to the end.

The way I look at it is this--even if I'm just a villager, I might as well have some fun with my role.  If that gets me killed? So be it. There will be other games, and maybe if I act like a ham in every one, people will eventually assume it's par for the course for me.

Aiden

I think it is hit or miss, in one game I was the village lunatic (and a werewolf) but everyone bought the act. Either way it is quite fun.

I was also the "hometown" hero (and a gangster) in the prohibition era game and managed to get pretty far into the game before getting dispatched, either way it was all good times.

Remiel

Announcement: I'm going to give rottenaim one more week before I start looking for her replacement.

Professor Loki Caprion

Just wanted to point out something...

The last few people voted for "Rhyden"... Is that a typo of Ryven or Rhedyn?
The Professor is drifting through time and space...

Discord: Professor Ravenhurst#8936

Ons/Offs | Ideas | A&As (Apr 28, 2016) | The Lab | Elluiki

Rhedyn

Quote from: Professor Loki Caprion on January 10, 2011, 07:38:43 PM
Just wanted to point out something...

The last few people voted for "Rhyden"... Is that a typo of Ryven or Rhedyn?

Mwhahah...we have merged into one uber fantastic person ;)

Ryven

O_O  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  Do I still get to ogle hot men in jockstraps?

Rhedyn

Ryven

Ryven

Goes to show all my votes were shots in the dark.  I was voting for the military veteran at the end. :P

Remiel

Well, that about wraps it up.  Thanks for playing everybody!  If you don't mind, I'd like to get some feedback on the game if I could, since I changed the basic formula from the other Mafia games.  Was there anything you particularly liked about it? Was there anything you didn't like?  Be honest -- my goal is to ultimately create a game that everyone enjoys.

Marguerite

Mmm, the long voting process which took up to a week made things slow down in my opinion.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Remiel

Quote from: Marguerite on January 13, 2011, 01:20:41 PM
Mmm, the long voting process which took up to a week made things slow down in my opinion.

Well, the problem is that there were weeks in which no one voted until the 4th or 5th day.  I generally like time limits; it makes sure that the game doesn't come to a screeching halt due to the absence of a single person.  I figured that one week was a fair compromise for those who were busy with life, school, projects, etc. and those who weren't.  Do you think I should have shortened it? Like, say, to three days?

Marguerite

-Nods-

Three days would have worked especially since the story line could have moved on rather than some of us having voted and just waiting and waiting for the week to end.

Beguile's Mistress

Three days might have worked except for the fact that this was during a holiday period, too.  There were a lot of players in this game and more with "special" roles than there usually are, I think.  Running a similar game during a less busy/stressful time with a three day limit for voting might give you a better comparison.

Remiel

Hrm. Okay.  And that raises another point--were there too many special roles?  Did that make the game too complex?  Ideally, I'd like to do a game where everybody has a special role, so they feel more involved.  Obviously, that's usually not possible.

Professor Loki Caprion

First, thank you, Remi, for not taking the obvious route and making me the Scientist! I spent the game HOPING someone would try to eat me!

As above, I think a shorter voting period would have been good; I was hesitant to cast a vote early, knowing the person I voted for would have plenty of time to turn folks against me.

I liked the large number of special roles, though! It made zombies more hesitant about who to bite!

Valerian

Speaking of which, based on the numbers, I'm guessing that the zombies did try to infect at least one of us immune folks?  I'm curious about that.   ;D
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Marguerite

-Nods-

Si, you are correct about wanting to infect, Val.

Rhedyn

I agree that a shorter voting period would have been better...I think it would have encouraged voting and more in character debate as well as movement in the story.

I also liked the large number of special roles. Complexity appeals to me and I enjoyed the game.

Remiel

Quote from: Valerian on January 13, 2011, 02:35:30 PM
Speaking of which, based on the numbers, I'm guessing that the zombies did try to infect at least one of us immune folks?  I'm curious about that.   ;D

Well, when I get home I'll post a play-by-play, but yes, during the very first night one of the zombies chose to infect Imogen, which presented me with a dilemma.  As the Nurse, she had access to the vaccines with which she could use to cure herself, but strictly speaking, according to the game rules as I set them up, she was powerless to do anything but turn into a zombie.  Unfortunately, it was a situation that I had stupidly not foreseen.

In the end, I gave her the choice to decide what to do, and she chose to cure herself.  Unfortunately, that meant she became vulnerable to zombie attack, and the OTHER zombie chose that moment to make a snack out of her brains.

I find it rather interesting that both Imogen and Moirae chose to take the "good" path rather than allow themselves to transform into zombies.  Ladies, may I ask what prompted those choices?

I think, if I run another game with similar rules, I'll start with the equivalent of 1 zombie and 2 infected.  At first glance, it might seem that the zombies have the edge (since they can, in theory, reproduce exponentially), but in practice, after you factor in the doctor, the nurse, the military vet, the immunes, the survivalist, and the fact that the zombies aren't working together  I think the game is actually weighted toward the survivors.

Geeklet

Personally, I think there should have been a longer voting period, as most of what I saw as far as votes just seemed like random shots in the dark, since there was never really much discussion during the day to actually go by and use to try to figure out just who the baddies were.

And as far as me being the Doctor... Except for the final choice, I never used my ability as a means to cure people. I was more using it as a way to try to find out who was a zombie. That's how I found Miss Mar out. I was gonna go to her to prove she was innocent, and after the result I'm like... "oh damn."

If Moirae didn't post she was infected on that last day, I more than likely would have gone after someone else. After I found out Miss Mar was a zombie, I was suspicious of EVERYONE.

Marguerite

-Nods to Geeklet-

I was going to nom you but it would have failed if I took out someone who could be a survivalist or figure out who I am.

Aiden

There really isn't more need for delaying time, there was hardly any RP ti begin with starting off the game except for Ryven and hit shot gun or Loki and his desk.

I think the job system was fine, but I wish I could have seen it play out a little better since the game seemed rather short.
Also the holidays did not really help all that much.

Professor Loki Caprion

Quote from: Aiden on January 14, 2011, 03:58:52 PM
There really isn't more need for delaying time, there was hardly any RP ti begin with starting off the game except for Ryven and hit shot gun or Loki and his desk.

Don't forget the fish! The fish was important! If a zombie did manage to attack me, my justification for waking up would have been the fish splashing about to warn me.

Everything had a reason!