Top of the Screen

Started by Beguile's Mistress, August 03, 2014, 09:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

The top section of the screen where the SB and ads are located appears to be wider than the rest of the page.  In order to scroll over and back you have to go all the way down to the bottom of the page.

Is there a way this could be fixed?

Nadir

Do you have the wide screen option selected? That might be the issue

Beguile's Mistress

I have no idea what the wide screen option is.  The rest of the page is fine.

Here is part what my screen looks like.

Nadir

It looks like you're using out of date CSS. If you go into your profile, into look and layout, and click the "change" link in "current theme" and chose any of the options from that page, and click "use this theme" I think it'll fix itself. You seem to be using "elliquiy2" which is no longer in use.

Beguile's Mistress

This is something I never knew about.

Well, things keep changing without notice in my profile like permission for people to email me keeps disappearing.  I'm not sure who does it. 

I switched it to Forum Board or Default as you suggest and it hasn't changed.

Geraint

Quote from: Dim Hon on August 03, 2014, 10:22:26 PM
It looks like you're using out of date CSS. If you go into your profile, into look and layout, and click the "change" link in "current theme" and chose any of the options from that page, and click "use this theme" I think it'll fix itself. You seem to be using "elliquiy2" which is no longer in use.

That elliquiy2 is no longer in use comes as a surprise to me, since that was what Veks was recommending in this forum before and is what I use (with the ns version).  That part of the page  adjusts fine for me using the wide screen button on the forum page and it retains that selection.  At least it does on IE10 which is what I am running.

What does not adjust (at least not below about 90% of full screen) on any version is the advertising bar in the middle and the blue button bar below it.

I realize that may not help BeMi if she is on a different browser.

edit to add:  On my computer is it the ad bar and the blue button bar that cause the whole page to have to scroll in the way that BeMi describes   

Nadir

Oh, my mistake - I was looking at something else *has a lot of notes and read them wrong* E2 is[/] in use. Sorry for the confusion

Vekseid

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on August 03, 2014, 10:16:56 PM
I have no idea what the wide screen option is.  The rest of the page is fine.

Here is part what my screen looks like.

What is your screen width?

The newsbox and default topbit are fixed width. Can try adjusting that a bit, though it's going to make things even worse in older browsers. : /

Beguile's Mistress

I use Firefox and it has been fine since the SB we up.  I'm not sure exactly when it changed but it was sometime on Sunday (yesterday).

That is, up until some time on Sunday the top section and the rest of the page were the same size.  I am now confused because I didn't change anything in my profile until Dim Hon told me what to do and that didn't work.  I didn't do anything but the look on my screen changed.

Up until sometime on Sunday both sections of the page were the same width.  Then it changed.  I only found out it changed when Oreo told me people are complaining because the banner ad for the Herald is messing up the display on mobile devices.  Here again, I have no idea how to fix that because I was never given any information on how to make the display look like any of the other ads that are shown.  I can learn if someone good at explaining things would give me some help and answer my questions.

My screen is 14 inches wide.  I use a laptop and the display is set at full resolution.

Vekseid

Beguile's Mistress

I did and here is what happened.

Ctrl + zero made the top of the screen a lot smaller than the forum page.  When I came in here to respond to your post the font on this page was smaller as if Ctrl minus had been pressed.  I held down the Ctrl and used the mouse wheel to increase the size of the found and when back and checked the other screen where the SB section of the screen was smaller than the forum section.  My manipulation of things with the mouse wheel had increased the size of the SB section to look the same as the forum section.

That seems to have solved the current display problems and given me a tool to use if it goes wonkity again.  Thank you.

I'd still like to get some help with a banner ad for the Herald and how to make one though.  I need something I can create for the Herald and makes changes to so I can update links and information every month.