Marvels: Far From Home (MCU Future RP - Interest Check)

Started by Mathim, August 12, 2019, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

This game idea came to me a few weeks ago and I've been dying to try it out despite the absolute glut of superhero games already going on or with growing interest checks (thanks in no small part to The Boys, no doubt) so I'm going to just throw it out there and see if it sticks. If not I'll give it another go later but for now I'm just seeing if anyone is interested in this story, not going to get my hopes up too high that it'll take off on the first attempt.

While the ending of Avengers: Endgame plays a part in the story, it's mainly based around the premise of Captain Marvel and her memory loss and conscription into the Kree military so spoilers for that one too, I guess, even though that DVD has been out for months now. This doesn't have any spoilers at all for Spider-Man: Far From Home, I just thought it was the most appropriate name for this game. Here's the setup:

A group of superpowered youths, between 18 and 20 years of age, are all drafted into the Kree army as recruits, undergoing training and only being allowed to go on very small-scale missions until they graduate from their current ranks. Some of their memories are jumbled after a certain point, though the common story the Kree have fed them is that after the battle against Thanos that undid his five-year snap, the Avengers emerged victoriously, but in a Pyrrhic manner; Earth was obliterated and all life was extinguished in a final doomsday weapon strike by Thanos to ensure that if he did not win, no one else did either. The Infinity Stones were all lost in the explosion, their fates unknown. But before they were scattered, knowing that their doom was coming, one of the heroes donned the gauntlet and, without time to properly think, wished for another generation of heroes to survive and prevent this tragedy from happening again. Or so it is said...but how else could these particular individuals have survived when all other explanations fail? Those youths who had parents that were part of that climactic battle like to think to themselves that it was their mother or father who made that last snap, an act of love only a parent could muster.

Armed with powers aplenty and motivated not to allow another Thanos to rise, they accept the Kree's hospitality and agree to be trained and become the best warriors they can, to use their powers responsibly and maintain order in the cosmos when they reach their peak potential. All are given the same power limiters Carol Danvers once wore, under the pretense of ensuring they don't cause any 'accidents'. There are seemingly no records of Earth anywhere, though there is suspicion there might be some hidden in places they aren't allowed to go or to look. Many questions they ask have answers that don't sound legitimate. They aren't allowed to travel to places they want to or try to find anyone who might have known their parents or their home planet. Sometimes the orders they're issued don't feel particularly morally sound.

Is this really all a result of the Kree being benevolent rescuers of these orphaned teens? Or is the wool being pulled over their eyes in the worst way? Is Earth still there, and they've just all been kidnapped? There's only one way to find out. But it's going to take all of them working together to get to the bottom of this, and even a moment's cowardice or hesitation, a lack of trust or a blatant betrayal, will spell disaster for the entire group. They may have been given honorary Kree names and their squad dubbed the Ee-Leet, but they are determined to make their own names for themselves, even if they never make it home, wherever that may be.

So, does this sound like a fun setup for some future Avengers? Stuck deep behind 'enemy' lines, unsure of their own memories and allegiances, and without full access to their powers unless they can find a way to remove or disable their limiters...pretty interesting situation to start in as opposed to the usual way these kinds of next-generation hero games go, right? I did want to limit the roster to characters that either haven't yet fully matured beyond, say, age 20 or who haven't been seen as having reached that age (despite Captain Marvel taking place in the 90's, meaning Monica Rambeau would now be in her late 20's, since we've only seen her in her youth, she'd be a viable candidate given the game's ability to artificially age or pluck someone from another time before their death such as Quicksilver).

Given how the Kree aren't being completely on the up-and-up about why these teens are where they are, they actually have access to the Quantum Tunnel technology and can 'time heist' certain key characters from the past, as well as artificially age them to the ideal age (to match Elliquiy rules) and implant false memories as needed. To this end, I have a list of viable candidates for characters belonging to the younger generation of active Avengers (possibly a Quicksilver snatched up before his death) and up-and-comers.

Possible Characters (just suggestions, feel free to pitch others):
(Active in TV and/or Movies)
Spider-Man (Parker and/or Morales)
Scarlet Witch
Shuri (inheriting the Black Panther mantle?)
Quicksilver
The Runaways
Cloak and Dagger
The Fantastic Four (Ultimate, since they're the younger versions)

(Potential)
Cassie Lang (Stature?)
Lila Barton (Hawkeye II?)
Morgan Stark (Iron Maiden/Rescue II?)
Monica Rambeau (Photon/Captain Marvel II?)
Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel?)
Amadeus Cho (Nerd Hulk?)
Danny Ketch (Ghost Rider II? Even if Robbie Reyes is supposed to have been the one after him but we see him first in Agents of SHIELD)

I'm open to more OCs but that list is ones that are either strongly hinted at in the MCU or are very connected to existing characters by taking up their name/mantle.

If anyone's ready to settle on a character and submit a profile, he's a character sheet. Go ahead and just post them here, that way it's easier for others to know what's already taken rather than them being obscured by my PM inbox.

[float=right][img height=200 padding=5]IMAGE LINK HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Superhero Name[/b]
[b]Honorary Kree Name[/b] (Example: Steve Rogers -> Stee-Vra or Raw-Jurrs; should be two syllables, and any part of either of the first or last name...it's all just for funsies.)
[b]Real Name: [/b]
[b]Other Nicknames: [/b]
[b]Parents/Mentors/Mantle: [/b] Depending on which characters had the most impact in shaping who they were; most have parents or an obvious mentor but for other like Amadeus Cho, he likely never met Hulk so him becoming Nerd Hulk would just be inheriting the mantle rather than having a parent or mentor to help him become that
[b]Motivations: [/b]
[b]Quote: [/b]

[b]Origin and Background: [/b]

[b]Powers/Skills/Gadgets: [/b]

[b]Appearance: [/b]

[b]Personality: [/b]

[b]Vices: [/b]
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Juggtacular

I just saw this today. You know me, bro. I'm always down for your games.  And I think it's plenty appealing, and definitely something I'm pretty sure I haven't seen before. It's a nice take on a continuiation of Captain Marvel and showing that despite that big setback, Kree are still fucktards and moved on with their conniving ways.   

legomaster00156

Playing Cloak, Dagger, or Shuri could be entertaining. Of course, anyone playing Cloak or Dagger practically requires someone to play the opposite half of the duo.

Juggtacular

I'd love to play Miles, and possibly the new Iteration of Power-Man?

Mathim

Quote from: Juggtacular on August 25, 2019, 08:51:40 AM
I'd love to play Miles, and possibly the new Iteration of Power-Man?

I'd kind of prefer the characters for this one to already exist or be very strongly hinted at (the whole line from Donald Glover's character in Homecoming about having a nephew is what helps Miles Morales' situation, plus him always being young in the comics anyway) in the MCU just to keep a sense of familiarity. Morales works fine here, but I'm not sure I've heard of other iterations of Power Man unless it was intended as an OC. I like the younger version of him in Ultimate Spider-Man but since Mike Colter already has that part in the MCU and there's no hint of a relationship with Jessica Jones I'm not sure if that would make sense.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Foxy DeVille

Hmmm...

I shied away from this one at first because my knowledge of the MCU is limited to stuff with a lot of Hayley Atwell because... reasons. Buuuuut upon further thought and research I think could play Cassie as Stinger.

Mathim

Yeah, I figure the MCU is the most accessible for the widest range of people because of how popular it is and yet its scope is still small by comparison to the more than half a century of the comics.

Mathim

I think I'm going to relax the connections to the MCU and just use the events of the universe as a template while leaving more characters open. So if someone wants to play as, I don't know, maybe a new teenage Iron Fist even if that makes no sense in the MCU, we can make it work.

Silim

I'd have some potential interest in this game, though I'm not sure about playing a "canon" character, so to say...

Mathim

Quote from: Silim on September 05, 2019, 05:14:42 AM
I'd have some potential interest in this game, though I'm not sure about playing a "canon" character, so to say...

Well there's lots of room for creative freedom since this is based on the MCU and not all the portrayals are exactly like the comics or other versions, so you can build them up pretty much however you like.

taurinekitten

Sounds interesting! Lila Barton popped out to me right away.

Mathim

Yeah, since most of the others will have abilities it would be nice for someone who doesn't innately have them to be part of the group.