What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retribution

Avis habilis

What the hell? Unknown gunmen have been shooting up Parliament Hill in Ottawa, shot at least one soldier by the war memorial: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-parliament-hill-shooting-live-updates-1.2808737

TheGlyphstone

You know what I just realized hasn't been in the news at all as far as I can tell lately? Ukraine. Did it just...stop? Or did people stop caring?

AffablyEvil

It seems people stopped caring. I haven't really seen anything from there either lately =/
Night gathers, and now my roleplaying begins. It shall not end until dawn. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die by my posts. I am the writer in the darkness. I am the author beyond the fourth wall. I am the creative fire that burns against the uncreative chill, the warm light that eases hearts, the pen that wakes the sleeping thoughts, the text that feeds the imaginations of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Roleplayer's Guild, for this night and all the nights to come.

And so my writing begins.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 22, 2014, 12:47:27 PM
You know what I just realized hasn't been in the news at all as far as I can tell lately? Ukraine. Did it just...stop? Or did people stop caring?
Last thing reported in the Geman news about that concerned a Human Rights Watch report that the Ukrainian military may have used cluster munitions in the conflict in East Ukraine. I have seen a few other reports here and there about a meeting or diplomatic conference taking place now and then with hardly anything concrete coming out of them, but in this case I just cross my fingers that no news is good news.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Retribution

Not exactly, in the news last couple days Sweden has been hunting a Russian sub connected with the dust up

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/10/sweden-expands-hunt-for-suspected-russian-sub/

AffablyEvil

That was more related however to how Sweden is paranoid that Russia intends to take the operation further, into Sweden and/or Finland, at least from what I can gather from Swedish news.
Night gathers, and now my roleplaying begins. It shall not end until dawn. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die by my posts. I am the writer in the darkness. I am the author beyond the fourth wall. I am the creative fire that burns against the uncreative chill, the warm light that eases hearts, the pen that wakes the sleeping thoughts, the text that feeds the imaginations of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Roleplayer's Guild, for this night and all the nights to come.

And so my writing begins.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Retribution on October 22, 2014, 01:07:52 PM
Not exactly, in the news last couple days Sweden has been hunting a Russian sub connected with the dust up

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/10/sweden-expands-hunt-for-suspected-russian-sub/

Yep, touchy stuff. You could argue that one single, and likely small, sub doesn't pose a grave instant threat - nobody's thinking Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden next year or something - but it's in a highly sensitive area, close to both the capital and to first-rank naval bases, and with Sweden not being formally a member of any military league (Nato, that is) we're supposed to be able to take care of this kind of intrusion along a very long and indented coastline ourselves. It's about credibility. Keeping the guard up is by no means easy, but necessary.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Retribution on October 22, 2014, 01:07:52 PM

Eh. Saw that, but while it's tangentially connected in the category of 'Putin vs. The World', it wasn't about the actual Ukrainian conflict.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 22, 2014, 01:50:14 PM
Eh. Saw that, but while it's tangentially connected in the category of 'Putin vs. The World', it wasn't about the actual Ukrainian conflict.

Nods, but from where I live, it's a good deal shorter distance to Lviv in north-western Ukraine than it is to the northernmost part of Sweden, and the Russian submarine/naval base at Kaliningrad (Königsberg) is about the same distance as Stockholm.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I'd figure it would be a much bigger issue for someone who actually lives in Sweden like yourself.

Ephiral

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 22, 2014, 01:27:49 PM
Yep, touchy stuff. You could argue that one single, and likely small, sub doesn't pose a grave instant threat - nobody's thinking Russia is actually planning to invade Sweden next year or something - but it's in a highly sensitive area, close to both the capital and to first-rank naval bases, and with Sweden not being formally a member of any military league (Nato, that is) we're supposed to be able to take care of this kind of intrusion along a very long and indented coastline ourselves. It's about credibility. Keeping the guard up is by no means easy, but necessary.

Reminds me of the US's occasional attempts to slip subs under our radar near the North Pole. There's zero real potential for conflict, but they keep trying because trade routes, and we keep having to make a fuss about it to reinforce our territorial claims.

Beorning

Regarding other news I saw today...

I'm usually uninterested in celebrity gossip news, but... what the heck has Renee Zellweger done to her face??? Have you seen her lately..?  :o :o :o

Kythia

Beorning

Hm. I really don't get this article.

I understand the issue whether it's really okay for a whole media circus to be raised because of Zellweger's face. It's true, it's her body... But I don't get the point about aging - I, for once, have no problem with actresses aging. It's obvious that they do...

Anyway... I know, Zellweger's face is her own business. But she is a publicly known person, there are photos of her all around and... sorry, as a man, I can't really say that I don't see the change or that I appreciate it. Renee Zellweger had a very unique, very pretty face. I found it appealing. Whatever she's done to herself, she doesn't look as pretty now. So, I'm commenting on it...

And it's not like only the female celebrities get their looks commented on...

TheGlyphstone

I'm not sure who this person is, so w/e.

Kythia

I don't want to derail, so I'll keep this brief.  But I think the point of the article, certainly the point of me linking the article, is to encourage thought about the appropriateness and relevance of casually passing comment on her looks.  It's...it's a weird thing to happen to someone.  I'm not trying to reprimand, and that wasn't why I linked.  Just...I dunno.  I don't like it, personally.

gaggedLouise

Well, it's changed in some sense - her face looks more rounded and her skin tone has clearly aged a little - but she hasn't been very visible at major events for the last couple of years, so the way most of us picture her is the way she looked in films, interviews and photo opportunities five to ten years ago. Even Audrey Hepburn and Liz Taylor got a more mature look in time (and so did Bowie and Dylan, though they are guys).

Valthazar

Some plastic surgeons are saying she has had a brow lift, something done to her eye lids and too much botox.

http://blog.sfgate.com/chronstyle/2014/10/22/bay-area-docs-decode-renee-zellwegers-new-face-a-step-too-far-in-plastic-surgery/

If anything, hopefully this discourages people from doing all this plastic surgery, and just aging naturally.

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on October 22, 2014, 05:10:16 PM
I don't want to derail, so I'll keep this brief.  But I think the point of the article, certainly the point of me linking the article, is to encourage thought about the appropriateness and relevance of casually passing comment on her looks.  It's...it's a weird thing to happen to someone.  I'm not trying to reprimand, and that wasn't why I linked.  Just...I dunno.  I don't like it, personally.

I don't know. On one hand, I could agree that some world-wide media debate about her face might be inappropriate. On the other hand... I really don't think there's something awfully wrong with us here making comments. We do comment on the looks of some people we meet in RL. Why couldn't we comment on the looks of this or that celebrity?

I mean, I have this Polish actress I find pretty, Joanna Koroniewska. And sorry, I just can't help noticing that her looks are changing for the worse lately. Not because she's aging, but because she seems to be using way too much make-up for my liking. And because she started to dye her hair with that obviously fake, scrambled-eggs-like blonde colour... I really think she looked better with dark hair. Is it that wrong for me to make a comment like that..?

Lanie Elizabeth

I personally think she looks great.  She looks healthy and that's all that matters. :)
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=194972.0">Request Thread & O/Os</a>
I was born with an enormous need for affection,
and a terrible need to give it.

- Audrey Hepburn

Oniya

So, apparently, conditions in Detroit have attracted international attention.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detroit-water-shut-offs-brings-u-n-scrutiny/
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zakharra

I can kind of understand why it drew such attention. It seems like Detroit is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Providing water costs a lot, especially when you account for replacement of water mains and piping and the filters/treatment plants to clean and purify the water. Having to provide it at no cost to non paying consumers will drain the city coffers.   They can't keep supplying it to people who aren't/can't pay. It costs to keep the water system up and running and to pay the workers that run and maintain it. That's not cheap and if they did keep the water running, it will make those who are paying to use the water, wonder why they should pay the city anymore. 

I can also understand those who's water has been cut off.  They need water to live, but cannot pay the city prices for it. But my sympathy is limited; where I live (out in the countryside), if we lose power, we have no water so its up to use to find ways to get water. The country government is not obligated to provide us with water or electricity to get it. If I lived in the city, the city government would not be obliged to provide water if I couldn't pay. I'd have to either pay up, find alternative sources or learn to live without as best I can.

Beorning

So, what's in the news lately?

Back here, the biggest news are the results of Ukrainian elections. Also, last week, our Mashal of the Sejm, Sikorski, had a string of really unfortunate behaviours. They are still being talked about...