Kingdom of the Blind (Pathfinder System, Homebrew)

Started by NobleWolf, January 18, 2010, 11:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobleWolf

Kingdom of the Blind

Hello! I'm relatively new to the site and I've wanted to run a pathfinder game for a while. I'm putting campaign notes together and gathering player input. So far I've got a homebrew setting rich with potential. It's a medieval high fantasy with an apocalyptic, grimdark touch.

Synopsis:
Dark clouds perpetually fill the sky, leaving a once prosperous continent in near ruin. Why they appeared and continue to shroud the landscape is heavily debated, but with no clear answer. The once bountiful land provides little now. Over the past century famine and disease has wiped away many cities, leaving them to rust away. Creatures who normally fled from the sun now stalk the landscape at their own leisure.
Many have placed the blame for the phenomena on those who practice the arcane arts. Some have formed cults, using the panic to influence followers. Ongoing wars over things like resources and land have only compounded the problems.

Starting level 3, using fast xp progression (4,650xp)
Point buy, high fantasy(20 points) for ability scores
3,000 starting gold
Players may use the Core Rulebook(Or PRD), Advanced Players Guide pdfs (from the Paizo site), Book of Erotic Fantasy, and Bestiary for character creation.
Other 3/3.5 materials may be used with permission (Just ask).
Characters may gain up to two traits from the
Pathfinder Character Traits Web Enhancement
Characters and creatures gain max health for their first three levels and half +1 for the rest.
You may use Pathfinder deities or make your own demi-god(s).

I'll likely be implementing a few house-rules to reflect the flavor of the game.

Right now I'm looking for 4 to 8 players, but I'll accept ideas and notes from anyone who wishes to contribute. I want players who can add to what I've started. If you're interested, post character concepts and information about the regions they came from. The game is currently open for discussion and changes. I'd like to know what you're looking for in a game and perhaps a little about yourself.

As for races, I have the following written up.

Dwarves: The least affected by the disruption. They live in sparse settlements away from the troubles of the rest of the world. Many that remain in their mountain-homes have a distrust of the people below, even as far as to forbid them from coming near. Dwarves that adventure are often tired of living like hermits or feel a need to help others.
As Dwarf. Favored Class: Cleric, Fighter, Inquisitor, or Paladin (pick one)

Elves(Gray): The keepers of ancient arcane lore. When crowds demanded the blood of those who practiced such magic, they exiled themselves upon elven-made flying islands. The forests they once inhabited quickly turned to desert. Now they float above the clouds, continuing their practice. Many gray elf adventurers go to the surface to study ruins and similar places of magical interest. Some simply could not get along in a society where magical talent is the only way to get ahead.
As Elf. Favored Class: Alchemist, Wizard, Sorcerer, or Summoner (pick one)

Elves(Wild): Reside in the only forests the sun can shine upon. They focus on divine magic and force of arms, more often from natural sources. Skirmishes with humans to keep their own resources has made them bitter to the plight of other races. Recent treaties provide peace at the cost of wood and food. Not many wild elves travel outside their homelands, but those who do often have strong personal reasons.
As Elf, except as follows; +2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis (replaces elf adjustments) Favored Class: Barbarian, Druid, Oracle, or Ranger (pick one)

Gnome(Rock): Sickness and goblins have killed off most rock gnomes. Those who remain stay in tightly-knit groups in cities or abandoned ruins. Those who dwell in human cities fashion goods from whatever they can find or provide family-run services. Rock gnomes frequently adventure with larger allies, especially if goblin slaying is involved.
As Gnome, including the following; +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks involving trade goods (Livestock, Spices, Fabric, etc) and +2 racial bonus on diplomacy checks used to barter. Favored Class: Alchemist, Bard, Rogue, or Wizard (pick one)

Gnome(Forest): In the warm forests far away from the lands of other races live forest gnomes. Their fairly remote location had shielded them from the rest of the world, but recently foreigners have begun poaching and taking land. Since they lack the ability to fight off the more advanced larger folk, they are continually forced to move deeper and deeper into their forests. Forest gnomes usually adventure out of necessity, though some find the outside world to be full of curiosities and opportunity.
As Gnome, except as follows; +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Int (replaces gnome adjustments), Hatred applies to aquatic and shapechanger subtype, No bonus to or against Illusion spells, no Obsessive ability, gain pass without trace [SU: always active, CL=1/2 HD(min1)], gain +2 racial bonus on stealth checks (increases to +3 in wooded areas). Favored Class: Druid, Ranger, Summoner, or Witch (pick one)

Halfling: These small folk spend most of their time in human lands salvaging from scrap heaps found in dead cities. Being quick and stealthy is the only way for them to survive. Others become thieves, living in the always dark alleyways of human cities. All Halflings are adventurers in their own right, scavenging and relying on wit and wile
As Halfling, including the following; +2 racial bonus on saves vs. disease (stacks with other racial bonuses) and the following spell-like abilities 1/day (Must have Cha 10+, CL=Level); Detect Magic, Light, and Read Magic(if literate). Favored Class: Cavalier, Ranger, Rogue, or Bard (Pick one)

Human: Before their world was plunged into darkness they had experienced a golden age of technology. Muskets had been refined and steam powered engines had emerged to power wondrous machinery. It took only a decade or so for centuries of progress to crumble. From the rubble and confusion new orders were established. City-states with starving populations scoured the countryside for sustenance, often coming into conflict with neighbors. Humans would spread out into other lands, never getting enough to prosper as they once did. Human adventurers come from many backgrounds and with varied goals.
(More on specific nations will be added later)
As Human, except as follows: Humans treat muskets and pistols as martial weapons. Favored Class: Any one

Orcs: For quite a time the Orcs saw the clouds as an opportunity to siege. After many gruesome years of pillaging they fell victim to such attacks themselves from larger goblin raiders. Many of the Orc tribes formed an unlikely alliance various settlements to stand against a greater threat. After many years some human war bands began incorporating orc shock troopers into their forces. Orcs typically adventure for the same reasons, excitement, blood lust, and greed. A few manage to rise above their stereotype.
As Orc. Favored Class: Cavalier, Barbarian, Inquisitor, or Ranger (pick one)

Half-Elves: As humans and elves often quarrel, such mixture of blood is very rare, but not unheard of. They are usually looked down upon by humans and elves who perceive them as a product of treason. Most half-elves hide their ancestry, trying to better fit in with the communities they travel through. Such disguises are eventually discovered, forcing them to move on. Many half-elves adventure to prove themselves, few would harass someone known for their potent magic or skill with a blade.
As Half-Elf. Favored Class: Any one

Half-Orcs: As Orcs integrate more and more into human societies, their half-bred spawn become almost commonplace. While Orcs see them as brothers and sisters, humans in noble circles often view them as abominations. Half-Orcs often find themselves torn between their heritage, though most would put them with Orcs instead of human. Half-Orcs adventure for glory and gain or strive to prove themselves much like half-elves.
As Half-Orc. Favored Class: Any one

Other races exist as well. For example, Goblins and their stronger kin terrorize many encampments. If you'd like to play a monstrous or unusual race, feel free to ask.

updates in blue

Elven Sex Goddess

I am interested in this campaign.  I have a half-elf sorcerer idea coming to mind.   Will have her done up by tomorrow evening.   

Chloe Milev

Hmm, I can't resist some pathfinder, and I think I'm open for another game.  I'll be thinking up a character.

You said core rulebook.  So are you opposed to the recently released classes of Cavalier, Oracle, Witch, and Summoner?  I was thinking of a Gray Elf reduced to barbarism (Barbarian-Oracle), but she could be Sorcerer instead.

Eh, nevermind.  Moment of Clarity would let a Barbarian cast once a round, but Pathfinder is actually better with one class, whereas I always multiclass in 3.5.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

NobleWolf

I might allow other sources for character creation. I was just hoping to keep it simple for now. You should be able to build nearly any concept from just core though.

The Great Triangle

I'd be interested in playing a Paladin/Fighter who specializes in the musket, basically a musketeer sort of character, possibly with eventual levels in duelist.  (Maybe some guy who lost his wife and son while off at war, and took holy vows to get them back.)

How active are the gods in this setting, and what are the prominent pantheons or religions?  How active and cthonic are the evil gods?
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

As of right now I'm looking at a possibility of using the standard pathfinder gods with a large number of demi-gods as well. Evil aligned deities are much stronger now than they were before. Players can feel free to write up their own demi-god(s) or use the ones in the core book. Clerics, Paladins, etc can revere a pantheon of gods rather than fully devote themselves to just one.

The Great Triangle

That seems like a reasonable compromise.  I don't really want to learn about the pathfinder gods, so a list of pantheons would be rather handy.  :-)    (Of course, if religion isn't a setting priority, using the grehawk gods from any given edition of D&D, ripping off a real world pantheon, or simply generically making "the higher powers" and "the church of good" entities in your setting can also save you this step.  Whichever gives you enough information to go on.)

I also do reccomend a trip to the paizo website to pick up the pdfs of the 6 new classes while they're in playtest state and therefore free.  The witch, alchemist, and perhaps Inquisitor in particular seem to fit the general feel of your proposed setting quite well.  (though it's certainly cool if you want to disallow those because they're in playest)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Alright, we'll include the playtest classes as well. I'll update the information.

Elven Sex Goddess

I am working on my character,  might not have her ready until tomorrow.  Just giving a heads up.  A half elven sorceress.

NobleWolf

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on January 19, 2010, 06:07:25 PM
I am working on my character,  might not have her ready until tomorrow.  Just giving a heads up.  A half elven sorceress.
That's fine.

Feel free to take your time building characters and regions.

Chloe Milev

If we get Craft Wondrous Item, do we still buy our items at full price for character creation?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

NobleWolf

Items you craft yourself are at half-cost if magical or one-third if mundane. For the purpose of crafting before the game starts, assume you roll a 10 on the craft checks. Refer to the rules for item creation (link)

The Great Triangle

Here's my proposed character:

Name: Sir Lionel Arkelsis

Appearance: Lionel is a blonde man of about 6 feet in height, dusky in complexion, and a little over 30 years old.  His body is covered in scars, and his hands and feet seem more callous then flesh.  He wears simple peasant clothes, along with a prominently displayed holy symbol.  His craggy face and dark eyes betray a life of pain and strife, while his wiry body suggests a life of too many nights spent fasting.  The ex-knight wears a bandolier of ammunition across his chest, with a musket holstered at his back and a pistol strapped to his thigh, mated with a basket handled rapier at his hip.  He is fond of wearing a wide brimmed hat when traveling, usually riding astride his faithful brown horse Surefoot when he isn't indoors.

Backround: Lionel was born into a wealthy family, and showed in his youth a remarkable prowess for combat.  The local lord smiled upon him, and doted upon him so that he would become a knight of the realm.  In time, Lionel wooed a fair young lady and became a bringer of justice, bringing peace throughout the land.  As shadows spread across the world, Sir Arkelsis embarked on a holy crusade to protect his home, becoming a murderer a thousand times over, and gradually falling to the same evil he fought against.  When Lionel returned to his homeland, he found that his zeal had cost him his family; his wife murdered, his son abducted to be taught the black arts.   Attempting to find justice, Lionel discovered only that he was just as destructive as the forces that rent his family from him.  In despair, Lionel attempted suicide, but was saved by a traveling band of monks.  Going into a life of seclusion, Lionel gave up all of his worldly posessions, and spent several years atoning for his sins, cleansing the taint of battle from his soul.  After much reflection, Lionel concluded that the only way to atone for his evil ways would be to take up knightly ways once again, this time as a consecrated paladin of the gods, rather than as a holy thug.  As part of his pennance, Lionel vowed to never again fight with armor, relying instead on his wits and divine mandate to survive in battle.

Lawful Good Human Cavelier/1, Paladin/1, Monk/1  (Favored Class: Paladin)

HP: 23 (assuming max hp at 1st level and half max at each additional level)
AC: 17 (+3 dexterity, +1 dodge, +2 wisdom, +1 armor)
Speed: 30 feet

Base Attack: +2

Attack:  Rapier +6 melee (1d6-1), Pistol +5 ranged (1d10), Musket +6 ranged (1d12), Unarmed Strike +5 or +3/+3 melee (1d6-1)

Skills: Acrobatics +4, Bluff +4, Climb +1, Diplomacy +6, Handle Animal +5, Intimidate +5,  Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +10, Profession (Soldier) +6, Survival +4, Ride +5, Sense Motive +6, Stealth +5, Swim +1

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Quick Draw, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (DC 13)

Traits: Courageous, Indomitable Faith

Class Features: Mount, Challenge +1d6/+1 AC, Oath of Vengeance (Demons),  Order of the Lion, AC Bonus, Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil (+2 attack, +1 damage)

Saving Throws:  fort +7, Ref +5, Will +7 (+9 vs. fear)

Abilities: Str: 8  Dex: 17  Con: 12  Int: 13  Wis: 14 Cha: 14

Equipment: Holy Symbol of Armor +1 (1,000), Masterwork Rapier (300), Pistol (250?), Masterwork Musket (900?),  Holy Cold Iron Bullet (360), 10 regular bullets (3?), Full Powder Horn (32 shots of gunpowder) (35?), Scroll of Protection From Evil (25), Scroll of Bless Weapon (25), Scroll of Lesser Restoration (25), Dagger (2), Mirror (10), 2 Sunrods (4), 50 feet of rope (1), Holy Text (Masterwork Knowledge: Religion tool) (50), Flask of Acid (10)
  3000 gp total

Sir Lionel's Mount:

"Surefoot"

HP: 12
AC: 15  (+1 dexterity, +4 natural)
Speed 50 ft

Base Attack: +1

Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+3), 2 hooves -1 melee (1d6+1);

Skills: Jump +4, Acrobatics +5, Perception +1

Feat: Skill Focus (Acrobatics)

Saving Throws:  Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

Abilitues:  Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6

Special Qualities low-light vision, scent.

Ons and Offs

Chloe Milev

Okay, here's my Gray Elf, dragon bloodline Sorceress, Embry.

Heh, before I saw Lionel, I picked "History of Heresy" for one of her traits, so... yeah.  That'll be fun.  Basically she was raised by dragons and taught they were the gods of this world, and the humanoid deities were superstition and magic trickery, heh.

And I'll probably be different than the other sorceress.  Being draconic, she'll be physically buffing herself to kill up close and personal.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Kachina Dreamweaver  Character Sheet

Background:   Born from a frowned upon union between a man and elven maiden.  Kachina has always weathered the extreme spectrum of reactions.   Looked upon with awe, and yet with fear for her being of two worlds.   While also she would enamor pity for such from one half of her heritage.     

Raised amongst her mothers people.    Her vision of the world is seen through their eyes.   The flighty nature that is exhibited.   Is even more pronounce with her tie to her bloodline.  For in her past on the side of her father, he who is just a man.   Has the ancestral heritage of an efreeti in the family past.  It is what sparks her chaotic nature.   As well as ties her bloodline of the element of fire with her.

Wanderlust to see the world.  Would take her from the lands of her mother.   Two traits honed by her childhood would serve her well.   One with the myriad of reactions that came her way.  It would cause her to react slightly quicker to responses with her initiative.   The other, her beauty gave rise to a very adapt charming personality.   That Kachina uses quite well.   

Kachina has a couple of magical items.  One a minor item, a light source called a everburning torch.  She picked up on her travels when she first left her home.   The other was given by her maternal grand father.   A ring that would give her sustenance. 

No deity is prayed upon in favor.    Though Kachina is far from atheist.    No instead she will often pray to the deity at hand for a particular domain of influence that that deity lords over.    For example if she lusts after someone,  she might token pray to Calistria.  Or perhaps right before battle she might toss a fervent prayer towards  Gorum. 

Passion rules this half elven beauty.   Bound by the tenant of no inhibitions of moral codes.  Like the leaf fluttering on the wind.  The flames dancing across the land.   Kachina moves as the winds of fate stir her course through life.  What fate awaits what adventures to be had.   Are stories to unfold and told in the future.   

Well here is my character submission. 

The Great Triangle

Fortunately, Lionel is Lawful Good, rather than Lawful Neutral, so as long as this isn't one of those settings where the gods verifiably torture people who don't beleive in them for all eternity, he's obligated to respect Embry's religious viewpoint.  (although since Embry isn't obligated to respect his, that could create some interesting friction)

Interesting that the party has stocked up on so much Cold Iron; hopefully we'll run into some demons or fae to make it worthwhile.   

Ons and Offs

Chloe Milev

We'll see if she can hold her tongue.

And yeah, cold iron's relatively cheap before you try to magic it up, and damage isn't lessened like silver, so why not?
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Fixed link to character sheet.  Uggh it was a blond moment. 

The Great Triangle

Looks like we've got a good deal of attack power but not much healing.  Of course, we can always stock up on potions (and in Lionel's case, scrolls) of healing and count on the rather impressive attack power of our party to see things through.   The fact that Kachina is an enchanter also helps considerably, since we can evade combat with enemies that have low will saves entirely.  (since he IS a Paladin, Lionel will be rather reluctant to kill things that don't detect as evil, though he'll do so in self defense.  Most of the time though, he'll switch to nonlethal unarmed strikes and try to request that the rest of the party bring them in alive as well, though a few accidental casualties are acceptable)

Ons and Offs

Lyell

I've been itching to get into a game and would be more than willing to cleric it up. Haven't really had the opportunity to play one before, but have been many a times interested.

I love enthralling plots, engaging stories and detail. Grimdark/post-apocalyptic settings used to be a nono for me but the setting reminds me so much of another story that I just gotta come see.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Chloe Milev

Well, if you do a lot of nonlethal, you'll have to use your fists/knees/head, or a truncheon might be good (Book of Exalted Deeds, one-handed martial, 2 gp, 1d8 nonlethal, x2, 12 lbs, bludgeoning).

I guess Embry could be convinced that her enemies aren't worth glorious death in the name of the dragon kingdom, that they should live to later serve...
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

The Great Triangle

given my strength of 8, I figure I'm best off cranking up my flurry of blows and possibly a smite evil and/or knight's challenge to dispose of tough enemies.  I haven't run the numbers, but I'm pretty sure two chances at 1d6-1 with a -2 attack penalty are better than 1d8-1. 

I will have to remember that particular excuse though! 

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Well, it looks like we've got four players so far and three finished characters. I'm still writing campaign stuff and waiting for anymore interest.
I have a few questions while I type up the setting. They're just to make sure you'll enjoy the game.
What are you looking for in a game? How experienced are you with this system? What houserules, if any, would you add (or remove)?

Chloe Milev

I'm very experienced with 3.5.  I've played a little Pathfinder and it seems straightforward, just getting rid of annoying sub-rules.

Houserules.  Hmm, well, stuff from the Book of Erotic Fantasy and Nymphology/Blue Magic are fun.  So if you had any sex rules, they aren't necessary, but fun.
Ons and Offs
Discord chloe milev
FFXIV Sargatanas

Elven Sex Goddess

Likewise is quite experienced with 3.5 system,  and has played a little Pathfinder. 

Just looking forward to it getting started.   As for anything extra, house rules or what Chloe Milev suggested is fine.  Through likewise not necessary needed, but can be fun.   

NobleWolf

I'll start a thread tomorrow. The game is still open to new players, no rush.
I decided to allow 3/3.5 materials on a case by case basis, just ask for something if you want it.

The Great Triangle

Now, muskets are costed at 600 and do 1d12, and pistols are costed at 250 and do 1d10, right?   (I might need to change my character's equipment if you decide to change up the rules.  They are kind of overpriced at the moment, although the cost is reasonable if they can fire when wet and don't risk exploding.)

Also, what action is reloading a firearm, and is it affected by taking the rapid reload feat?  (if reloading takes more than a full round action, you'll also need to change the balance of firearms somewhat, possibly balancing them more as a once per encounter magic item than a standard weapon)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Quote from: The Great Triangle on January 23, 2010, 02:57:54 PM
Now, muskets are costed at 600 and do 1d12, and pistols are costed at 250 and do 1d10, right?   (I might need to change my character's equipment if you decide to change up the rules.  They are kind of overpriced at the moment, although the cost is reasonable if they can fire when wet and don't risk exploding.)

Also, what action is reloading a firearm, and is it affected by taking the rapid reload feat?  (if reloading takes more than a full round action, you'll also need to change the balance of firearms somewhat, possibly balancing them more as a once per encounter magic item than a standard weapon)
As of now I'm just using the Renaissance weapons found in the 3.5 Dungeon Masters Guide. Pathfinder doesn't have such rules right now. I'm hoping the Gamemastery Guide will have more in-depth information on the subject. We'll have to homebrew things, like bayonets. As long as your not submerged in water or equally wet, I would think you could fire them. No rules for them exploding. They take a standard action to reload, but you can take the Rapid Reload feat to reduce that to a move action (treat muskets and pistols as heavy crossbows for feat purposes).

The Great Triangle

A bayonet should probably just be a shortspear that happens to attach to a rifle, I'm thinking.  Possibly make a feat so that you can take an attack penalty to stack the damage of the bayonet and the gun by using them in a single attack. 

You may also want to create variants of weapons that have a pistol integrated into the construction, and allow the use of the same feat with them.  Doing such a modification would be impossible for light weapons, but adds about 400 gp to the cost the parent weapon.  (and raises questions of honor)

Multi barreled firearms are another possibility.  They could cost as much as all of the firearms in them put together (so a three barreled musket is 1,800gp) and suffer a -1 penalty per additional barrel, becoming an exotic weapon and taking no further penalties at the 3rd barell.  (though 5 is pretty much the limit on this sort of firearm.  Historically such guns were called "duck's foot" guns.)  If you allow it, there could also be multi barreled pistols integrated into melee weapons.

Finally, you may want to consider a third class of firearm; the blunderbuss.  The blunderbuss is the Renaissance equivalent of the shotgun, and it deals impressive damage (1d12) over a pitifully short range (30 or so).  The main advantage of the blunderbuss is that it doesn't require standard ammunition, and can be loaded with anything heavy and vaguely sharp.

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Ok, bayonets function much like a spears, including proficiency and cost. They must be attached to a musket, otherwise they're light improvised weapons that deal 1d4 (X2). They aren't design for throwing though, so no range increment.
You can have a multi-barreled musket or pistol, just multiply the cost and weight by the number of barrels. Each barrel must be reloaded separately. Anything over two barrels adds a -1 penalty to attacks per additional barrel.
A blunderbuss would be much like a musket (similar cost, proficiency, and 2d6 damage), except it would be a 20ft cone (no attack roll, no criticals or sneak attack, etc.), require a longer reload time(Full-round action, Standard with Rapid Reload), and would have a reflex save for half damage(DC= 1/2 bab plus dex?). Ammunition and powder costs the same, using improvised materials reduces the saving throw DC by 1. Penalty(or bonuses) to attack rolls apply to the saving throw DC instead.

Brandon

Wow I dont know how this escaped my eyes. Is there still room Noblewolf or are you full up on players?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

NobleWolf

Plenty of room! If we get enough players I'll run multiple games.

Brandon

Awesome, then can I get a confrimation on what people are playing? Im thinking a cleric would be fun or I wouldnt mind trying out some of the beta classes for the Advanced players guide.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

NobleWolf

Just play what you want, though I'm sure they would appreciate someone with healing abilities.
No hurry on character sheets right now. I'm going to ease into the game so everyone will have a little time to adjust as needed.
I'd much prefer character sheets via mythweavers or some other online source (much easier), but I can settle for them sent via PM or other means.

Delta Echo

Oooh, more Pathfinder....can you sign me up? :)

I'm thinking of a Bard, myself.
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

NobleWolf

Quote from: Delta Echo on January 23, 2010, 06:37:02 PM
Oooh, more Pathfinder....can you sign me up? :)

I'm thinking of a Bard, myself.

Sure thing

Brandon

Rough draft and without character sheet

Name: Kulgnar Barrow
Sexuality: Heterosexual
Race: Dwarf
Class: Cleric (Torag)
Alignment: LG

Description: Kulgnar stands a full four and a half feet tall, making him tall for a dwarf. Like most dwarves he has a heavy build and a lot of muscle on his body showing that he is the kind of man that exercises regularly. Unlike most of his race he has deep, almost pitch black, skin and fiery red hair that is worn long yet looks neatly tied back. His beard however is wild but not as long as one would expect for a man of his age (even though he’s quite young for a dwarf).

He often wears armor stained black over his ceremonial garbs which are always a dark color. He has a holy symbol of Torag tied to his left gauntlet and secured by a small steel chain.

Personality: Kulgnar is opinionated, often gruff, and accepting of those who prove themselves through action. Anyone spending a bit of time with him soon finds a quiet and compassionate man with an intense sense of justice and an iron will to uphold tradition yet whos not afraid to break away from it either. In trying times he often gives words of encouragement and direction, so that action may be taken. Although many find him slow to trust and accept, when one finally does they earn a true friend that would walk into Hades itself to help them.

Background: Kulgnar was born as a noble to the Stonearm clan, members of the aristocracy in the monarchy that ruled over the Gemline mountain’s (there name for the area so it can be fit anywhere), over forty years ago and from the time he could walk people saw the makings of a pious warrior for all their kind. Like all dwarves he was instructed in warfare, tradition, and crafting as a boy by his large family but early on his greatest interest was Torag’s temples and his teachings.

When he came of age Kulgnar choose to pursue a path with Torag and his clergy, and it was not long before he earned the right to summon some of the gods divine power. However during his studies he met a priestess named Helda along the same path. The two shared much of their time together and eventually fell in love with one another. However being that she was of common birth and his high standing in the city neither the clergy nor his family would approve of them seeing each other.

Kulgnar would not listen though, he knew where his heart was and he knew that Torag himself would bless their union if they eventually married, if they god had not approved he would have sent both mates a sign of some kind. To stubborn to be convinced differently he kept seeing Helda and ignoring his superiors and his family and it eventually led to the family seeking out other means to deal with the situation.

Late one night when they were returning from the local public baths they were accosted by a group of thieves and Helda was murdered. Kulgnar did not escape unscathed either but he beat them off and unknown to the men he had recognized a few of them. Days later he burst into one of the men’s homes with a handful of friends for revenge and beat the man within an inch of his life before he learned of his family’s involvement in the plot.

Enraged he took the plot directly to the mountain king and exposed everything, putting the thief before his majesty and arranged for his love to be buried in the cities hall of hero’s. When everything was said and done he burned a clan tattoo off his body, forsaked the clergy that he once called comrades, and decided to set out into the world. Since then he has walked the land, rendering whatever aid he can to others

Religion: Some would say dwarves like Kulgnar only worship Torag because of tradition and while this is partly true they miss the point that tradition is how clerics like him begin their worship but it is not why they continue. Kulgnar himself has felt the will of Torag and felt the power of him rushing through his veins whenever he casts a spell or renders aid to others. He feels that no other faith embodies the dwarven ideals as well as Torag and that Torag seeks to continue to forge the world, through his followers.

Level/class: 3 cleric

Attributes
Strength 13
Dexterity 10
Constitution 12
Intelligence 12
Wisdom 18
Charisma 12

Base attack bonus: +2
Armor class: 20 = 10 +0 dexterity +9 armor +1 shield
CMB/CMD: +3/13
Fortitude save: +4 = +3 base +1 Constitution
Reflex save: +1 = +1 base +0 Dexterity
Will save: +7 = +3 base +4 Wisdom

Skills
Knowlege(Religion): 7 = 3 ranks +1 intelligence +3 class skill bonus
Heal: 7 = 3 ranks +4 wisdom +3 class skill bonus
Spellcraft: 7 = 3 ranks +1 intelligence +3 class skill bonus

Feats
Armor proficiency: Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, light and heavy shields
Weapon Proficiency: Simple weapons, battle ax, heavy pick, warhammer
1st level Feat: combat casting
3rd level Feat: Heavy Armor profieciency

Special abilities
Acid dart (7/7 uses): 1d6+1 acid damage as a standard action. Range 30 ft
Channel energy(DC 12): 2d6 damage 4/4 uses
Darkvision 60 ft
Defensive training: +4 dodge to AC vs the giant subtype
Domains: Earth and Good
Greed: +2 appraise checks on non-magical stone, metal, or gemstone goods
Hatred: +1 attack roll vs goblinoid and orc subtypes
Hardy: +2 to saves vs poisons, spells, and spell like abilities
Stability: +4 CMD on bull rush and trip attempts
Stone cunning: +2 perception to notice odd stonework
Touch of good(7/7 uses): As a standard action grants +1 to attack rolls, skill checks, saving throws for 1 round

Spells
Orisons (DC 14): Detect Poison, Light, Mending, Stabilize
1st level-3+1 per day (DC ): Bless, Comprehend languages, Cure light wounds, protection from evil*
2nd level-2+1 per day (DC ): Cure moderate wounds, Silence, soften earth and stone*
*notes a domain spell

Weapons
Masterwork warhammer (312)
Masterwork Heavy crossbow (350)
Armor
Masterwork Full plate (1650)
Masterwork Light wooden shield (153)
Other equipment
Backback (2)
Bedroll (1 sp)
Holy symbol, Wooden (1)
Spell component pouch (5)
Cleric's vestments (-)
Healer's kit (50)
Bolts x20 (2)
Waterskin (1)

Equipments weight: 88 pounds (medium load)
Personal Weight: 156
Total Weight: 244
Purse: 47 pp 3 gp 9 sp

Carrying capacity
Light 0-50
Medium 51-100
Heavy 101-150

Lyell

Blargh. And here I did the sheet before the flavor. Woulda done it sooner but my weekend has been horrible so far.

Sigmund

Male Human;

Medium Humanoid ( Human ) Cleric 3

Hit Dice: (3d8)+3

Hit Points: 24

Initiative: +1

Speed: Walk 20 ft. (Med Load)

AC: 19 (touch 11, flatfooted 18)

Attacks: Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron) +4;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron) +4;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron/Thrown) +4;

Damage: Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron) 1d8+1;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron) 1d4+1;
Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron/Thrown) 1d4;

Vision: Face / Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.

Special Attacks: Channel Positive Energy

Special Qualities: Aura of Chaos, Aura of Good, Bit of Luck, Liberation, Orisons, Spontaneous Casting

Saves: Fortitude: +4, Reflex: +2, Will: +7

Abilities: STR 12 (+1), DEX 12 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 10 (+0), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 13 (+1)

Skills: Acrobatics: -5; Appraise: 5; Bluff: 1; Climb: -5; Craft (Armor): 4; Craft (Untrained): 0; Diplomacy: 5; Disguise: 1; Escape Artist: -5; Fly: -5; Heal: 8; Intimidate: 1; Knowledge (Arcana): 4; Knowledge (Planes): 4; Knowledge (Religion): 4; Perception: 4; Perform (Untrained): 1; Ride: -5; Sense Motive: 8; Spellcraft: 4; Stealth: -5; Survival: 5; Swim: -5; Use Magic Device: 2;

Feats: Armor Proficiency, Light, Armor Proficiency, Medium, Extra Channel, Improved Channel, Selective Channeling, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency

Challenge Rating: 2

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Possessions:  Backpack; Bedroll; Bell; Caltrops; Candle; Case (Map or Scroll); Chain (10 Ft.); Flint and Steel; Healer's Kit; Holy Symbol (Silver); Holy Water (Flask); Ink (1 oz. Vial); Inkpen; Lantern (Bullseye); Lock (Superior); Masterwork Breastplate (Armor Spikes); Masterwork Mace (Heavy/Cold Iron); Masterwork Shield (Heavy/Steel/Shield Spikes); Masterwork Starknife (Cold Iron); Oil (1 Pint Flask); Paper (Sheet); Piton; Rope (Silk/50 ft.); Sack; Vestments (Cleric's);

Deity: Desna

Domains: Liberation () Luck ()

Prepared Spells
Prepared Spell List:  Cleric (CL 3): 0th - create water , light , mending (DC 14) , purify food and drink (DC 14) 1st - divine favor (DC ) , shield of faith (DC 15) , summon monster i , *true strike (DC ) 2nd - aid , bull's strength (DC 16) , consecrate             

Cleric - Spells per Day: (4/3+1/2+1/0/0/0/0/0/0/ DC:14 + spell level);

Known: Level 0: Bleed, Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Guidance, Light, Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Read Magic, Resistance, Stabilize, Virtue Level 1: Bane, Bless, Bless Water, Cause Fear, Command, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Deathwatch, Detect Chaos, Detect Evil, Detect Good, Detect Law, Detect Undead, Divine Favor, Doom, Endure Elements, Entropic Shield, Hide from Undead, Inflict Light Wounds, Magic Stone, Magic Weapon, Obscuring Mist, Protection from Evil, Protection from Evil, Protection from Law, Remove Fear, Remove Fear, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Summon Monster I, True Strike Level 2: Aid, Aid, Align Weapon, Align Weapon (Good Only), Augury, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Calm Emotions, Consecrate, Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, Delay Poison, Eagle's Splendor, Enthrall, Find Traps, Hold Person, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Make Whole, Owl's Wisdom, Remove Paralysis, Remove Paralysis, Resist Energy, Restoration (Lesser), Shatter, Shield Other, Silence, Sound Burst, Spiritual Weapon, Status, Summon Monster II, Undetectable Alignment, Zone of Truth
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

The Great Triangle

I suggest for the saving throw on a blunderbuss, you should just have the attack roll set the save DC.  Since it's only 2d6 damage, I don't think this would really cause too big of an issue. 

And hooray!  We has a healomancer!   (oh why, why did I have to play the straight man?)  However, our cleric is lacking in selective channel, which is a pretty darned important feat when you're channeling in combat.  (unless we're dealing with the undead)  That makes having extra channel and improved channel a bit of a waste, unless the GM is planning on sending the party through many encounters per day, or we suck so much that we get our asses kicked before we even damage the enemy.  (which might happen if the GM uses a lot of buffed arcane spellcasters)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

It seems as though we may have two groups, if we get anymore interest. Either way, I'll start you all at the same place, perhaps let you sort out parties. If you've got any requests or questions before we start, now would be a good time to PM me. I'm still accepting players though.

As for the blunderbuss, that would work as well, but saving throws tend to be a set DC. I based it upon how spells and similar cone effects work. It would be easier to make the DC higher than a spell or ability, but the damage is constant so that's fine.

NobleWolf

rancorius

NobleWolf

Yes, it's still open. Just run the character by me.

Muse

Yo!  If you still have room, Valgreyer and I will be sending aplications shortly.  I will be applying with a Chaotic Good (or Chaotic Neutral, good tendencies) Orc with Barbarian 1, Tantrist 2
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

NobleWolf

Quote from: Muse on January 24, 2010, 11:14:42 PM
Yo!  If you still have room, Valgreyer and I will be sending aplications shortly.  I will be applying with a Chaotic Good (or Chaotic Neutral, good tendencies) Orc with Barbarian 1, Tantrist 2
We've got just enough for you both and those who have posted interest so far.

If we have anyone drop out or disappear, I'll bump this thread for more players.

The Great Triangle

I'm somewhat leery of the tantrist from a balance perspective.  It's basically a wizard that gets slightly more spells, cleric domains, and uses constitution as its casting stat, which is already a stat with many benefits.  (though d4 hit dice cut into this slightly)  The sex to recover spells each day is a bit of a balancing factor, but it's so big of a penalty that the GM really can't deny the tantrist his or her sex, since she'll basically be useless for the day.

On the other hand, aside from constitution as the casting stat, there's nothing really wrong with the tantrist as compared to a pathfinder wizard or sorcerer.  We are kinda missing a rogue and already have two sorcerers though...  (though we're quite covered for clerics)

Ons and Offs

Muse

I should point out that we are using point buy.  (20 points?  Either that's scary or pathfinder does it difrently.)  And that Tantrist needs BOTH intelegence AND constitution. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

The Great Triangle

My mistake, I misread the class, because it uses rules abslolutely no WotC class uses ever.  Even with point buy though, there's very little reason to buy up your intelligence much, since you're already getting bonus feats to raise spell DCs and it's very easy to simply use passive spells with no saving throws to negate any disadvantage from low intelligence.

Basically, there's pretty much no reason in the world a Tantrist shouldn't have a constitution of 18 or 20.  (I must admit that my objection on balance grounds doesn't really hold water though, so I'll hold back and simply say I think the flavor of the class is stupid.)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Quote from: Muse on January 25, 2010, 02:44:01 AM
I should point out that we are using point buy.  (20 points?  Either that's scary or pathfinder does it difrently.)  And that Tantrist needs BOTH intelegence AND constitution.
I'm guessing you're new to the pathfinder system. You may want to check out this site to get started.

In pathfinder, Tantrist would receive 1d6 hp per level. I don't find the class unbalanced, it has the same number of spells per day as wizard without the perks granted from Pathfinder Wizard. Plus, without boosting both CON and INT, he won't be able to keep up with their spellcasting either.

Matthew

I imagine I'm a bit late on replying, but I'm a big fan of pathfinder... if you're still looking for players, I'd love to put one together, if not, put me down as an alternate if you like  :-)

NobleWolf

Quote from: Matthew on January 25, 2010, 04:12:55 AM
I imagine I'm a bit late on replying, but I'm a big fan of pathfinder... if you're still looking for players, I'd love to put one together, if not, put me down as an alternate if you like  :-)

*Sigh* Alright, just one more person then. Have a character in mind?

Ok, for everyone that hasn't shown interest yet, this game is currently filled. I'll probably need at least one or two alternates though.

Matthew

A human cleric most likely, if that fits, I'll start throwing something together... although, if I'm too late to the party, please feel free to just put me down as an alternate instead!

The Great Triangle

We've already got two clerics in the party, though if you were a cleric of an odd alignment...  '

(we're currently sitting at 1 multi class paladin, 2 sorceresses, 2 clerics, a bard, and maybe a tantric wizard)

Ons and Offs

NobleWolf

Quote from: Matthew on January 25, 2010, 04:53:33 AM
A human cleric most likely, if that fits, I'll start throwing something together... although, if I'm too late to the party, please feel free to just put me down as an alternate instead!

If you'd rather wait for somebody to drop out, feel free to do so. But if you'd like to make a character and start posting, that would be fine too. I just want to see how things turn out with the number of people that have shown interest so far.

Quote from: The Great Triangle on January 25, 2010, 05:00:51 AM
We've already got two clerics in the party, though if you were a cleric of an odd alignment...  '

(we're currently sitting at 1 multi class paladin, 2 sorceresses, 2 clerics, a bard, and maybe a tantric wizard)

You can NEVER have to many clerics. When built properly, a party of only clerics is a near invulnerable, well oiled killing machine.  At least that's been my experience.

The Great Triangle

Well of course, a party of clerics is properly called a crusade! 

(the unstoppable steamroller of divine death is a classic way to take the field, certainly)

Ons and Offs

Matthew

Quote from: NobleWolf on January 25, 2010, 05:12:01 AM
You can NEVER have to many clerics. When built properly, a party of only clerics is a near invulnerable, well oiled killing machine.  At least that's been my experience.
Perhaps, but wheres the fun in that? :P
In all seriousness, I didn't realize there were two already, I'll go with something that hasn't been chosen yet, then... besides, the play test classes sound interesting, so, maybe an Elf Oracle...

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Matthew on January 25, 2010, 05:21:14 AM
Perhaps, but wheres the fun in that? :P
In all seriousness, I didn't realize there were two already, I'll go with something that hasn't been chosen yet, then... besides, the play test classes sound interesting, so, maybe an Elf Oracle...

The party really has no rogue.  As there are two sorcerer, one bard, one tantrist.  Plus as been clearly pointed out  two clerics.   We have a lot of spell casting types.

Matthew

*nods* Rogue it is, then!

edit: And done!

Ren

Male Half Elf
Rogue 3
Hit Dice: 3d8
Hit Points: 24

Ability Scores: STR 10 (+0), DEX 15 (+2), CON 10 (+0), INT 14 (+2), WIS 8 (-1), CHA 13 (+1)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30

AC: 16 (touch 12, flatfooted 14, CMD 14)
Saves: Fortitude: +1, Reflex: +6, Will: +0
CMB: +2

Attacks:
Masterwork Shortbow: +5, 60ft range increment
Masterwork Rapier: +5

Damage:
Masterwork Shortbow: 1d6, x3 crit
Masterwork Rapier: 1d6, x2 crit (18-20)

Armor:
Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 AC, +6 Max Dex, 0 Armor Check Penalty, 10% Spell Failure)

Special Abilities:
Low Light vision
Trapfinding
Evasion
Trap Sense +1
Sneak Attack +2d6

Skills:
Acrobatics: 8
Appraise: 2
Bluff: 9
Climb: 6
Diplomacy: 1
Disable Device: 8
Disguise: 9
Escape Artist: 2
Fly: 2
Heal: -1
Intimidate: 1
Linguistics: 8
Perception: 7
Ride: 2
Sense Motive: 5
Sleight of Hand: 11
Stealth: 8
Survival: -1
Swim: 0

Feats:
Weapon Proficiency (simple weapons, hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword)
Armor Proficiency (light armor)
Skill Focus (Slight of Hand)
Deceitful
Improved Feint

Traits:
Reactionary (+2 init)
Deft Dodger (+1 reflex)

Rogue Talents:
Finess Rogue

Languages: Common, Elven, Halfling, Dwarven, Undercommon, Goblin, Giant

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: Agnostic

Equiptment:  Backpack; Bedroll; Masterwork Shortbow, Arrows (20), Masterwork Rapier, Mithril Chain Shirt, Peasant's Outfit, Backpack, Sunrod, Candle (5), Flint and Steel, Small Steel Mirror, Masterwork Thieves tools
1139gp, 8sp

Ren is a half elf, born of an elven mother. His father, the source of his human side, is all but unknown to him... his mother refuses to speak of him, and all his grandparents would say is that he was conceived while his mother was in human custody, having been captured after a battle over the resources their home forest held.
Although he got along with his family well enough, the rest of his village took a more typical view of him. The scorn was constant, and from the rougher elements, the occasional beating was far from unheard of. It was little suprise, then, that he left home as soon as he came of age, setting out to find his place in the world.
His mother had been a proud defender of their homeland, a barbarian, strong of arm and skilled with her blade, and he'd originally intended to follow in her footsteps... but as time passed, and training did little to improve his strength, he was eventually forced to admit that he was too slight of build to weild a greataxe with any sort of effectivness. On the other hand, he'd quickly discovered in his travels that the humans of the world had no more respect for half breeds like them then the elves did, and, denied access to polite society, the underworld proved to be a natural destination.
At first, with the difficulty he had finding work, it was stealing out of necessity (or at least, thats what he told himself, though he never seemed to hesitate to grab a bit more then he actually needed). Before long, he was working the streets regularily, disguising his heritege just enough to mingle with the population, and at every opportunity, relieve another poor sap of their coinpurse.
While slightly short for his race, Ren is close to average for a human, which tends to work in his favor when he's trying to hide himself. His hair is long, and a bit messy, falling below his shoulders, again, helping to hide his ears when needed. Generally, when disguised, the most obvious sign of his heritage is his slender features, and his amber eyes. He dresses plainly, wearing cheap, but well made garments, in styles typical of lower to middle class peasants.

BlackBox

Would you have room for a wild elf ranger/fighter type?

NobleWolf

Sure, your friend saved you a spot.

BlackBox

NobleWolf

I've resurrected this thread to find new victims adventurers for my game. If you're interested see the first post (here) for character creation and a brief campaign description. It's a dark, gritty game at it's core. Because it's non-linear, self-motivated characters are a must. Post your character concepts, questions, etc. here.

Tydorei

I just love pathfinder. Perhaps an Inquisitor who is a zealot for her god.

NobleWolf

Quote from: Tydorei on August 17, 2010, 04:37:48 PM
I just love pathfinder. Perhaps an Inquisitor who is a zealot for her god.
Sounds good so far to me.