Power supply comparisons?

Started by Oniya, September 26, 2018, 12:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Does anyone know of a good site where I can punch in model numbers and get a comparison between two computer power supplies?

Little Oni's computer cut out last night - no warning, no error message.  Leaving it overnight didn't result in being able to start it up again, so overheating is not the primary cause.  I'm betting it's the power supply, since it doesn't even spin up the fan.  I happen to have another machine lying around that I could theoretically cannibalize - if I can determine it's safe to do so.  Both machines are Dells, but of somewhat different vintage (the newer one was a 580, the older one doesn't seem to have a model name/number on it.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HockeyGod

Oniya

No - I've opened up both cases, and have the model numbers of the existing power supplies.

1) HiPro HP-P3017F3
2) Dell NPS-250KB F

I want to know if I can take 2) out of the old machine, slot it into the new machine, and not have things go boom.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sara Nilsson

Having a too powerful power supply is not a problem. To weak can be. nr1 is a 250 and nr 2 is 300. So unless the old one she had in was the 300 and that berely cut it you shouldn't have a problem.

Vekseid

Got that switched around, Sara, 2) is 250W and 1) is 300W >_>

If the connectors are the same, you may by able to get away with it if you don't have excess peripherals.

Sara Nilsson

oopss :) need more coffee. thanks for the catch.

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on September 26, 2018, 05:01:35 PM
Got that switched around, Sara, 2) is 250W and 1) is 300W >_>

If the connectors are the same, you may by able to get away with it if you don't have excess peripherals.

Speakers, keyboard, monitor, and mouse - no printer on this one.

Sara Nilsson

Oniya

Doesn't have a separate graphics card in the newer machine.  (Out of the box Dell, essentially.)

Sara Nilsson

Then you will be fine. It will let you know if it is too weak (but going from a 250 to 300 that wont be a prob.. at least my tired brain seems to recall that is how you are changing them), and it wont damage the computer by putting in a too powerful one. Just make sure to connect everything properly, you cant connect anything wrong. The cables can only fit where they are supposed to fit. Changing power supplies is easy peasy. :) Just check where the cables go, where the screws are and you are golden.

Oniya

Small snag - turns out the old machine only has IDE4 cables, and the new machine only takes SATA.  Oh well.  At least power supplies aren't very expensive.