News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Marathon most of Fairy Tail. Have not watched newest season. Did skip that stupid Lucy filler key arc.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

TwoHundredTabs

Just going to pop in here and list my all-time favorites, in case anyone who has similar tastes has missed one of them.

#1 Steins;Gate
- A 24 episode series that sometimes - but rarely - drags things out a bit more than necessary. Includes surprising plot devices, reveals, and little twists on what you're expecting. Some fourth-wall-breaking also happens in a way that makes it seem like the fourth wall isn't actually being broken (i.e. it might just be a quirk of the character). I've happily watched it more than once - and I generally don't feel that anime has replay value. You'll probably cry once or twice, and you'll definitely feel for the characters.

- It's essentially a crapsack world/tragedy series that at first makes you think it's a slice of life series. It plays with time travel (though you shouldn't look for real science here; several ideas about time get mashed together) as both part of the tragedy/horror and the eventual solution. Ends with a mostly happy ending that leaves things somewhat uncertain - but the movie follows after to make it a happy end (though not a clearly shipped end, for those who want that).

See also: Steins;Gate Fuka Ryōiki no Déjà vu (movie)
- More like an OVA that actually expands on/follows after the series. Not a re-hash. Adds a new conflict and resolution, and provides some happiness/fan service for shippers.

#2 White Album 2
- Next to Steins;Gate, it's perhaps the only anime that I've rewatched not too long after finishing it. It has no relation to White Album other than the songs referenced - so please don't let that horrible show bias you. The series is only 13 episodes, and - true to my experiences with limited-run series in general - that reflects the tightness of its storytelling. There isn't a wasted moment of screen time here. You'll feel for the characters, and probably cry several times. They're written quite realistically - especially for an anime - and are all flawed. They aren't as realistic or conscious/intelligent as I'd like, but that's what you get with any semi-harem-esqe love triangle series.

- It's essentially a love triangle heartbreak-tearjerker. two of the characters have previously had limited personal interaction, and the newcomer quickly makes friends with both. The two girls struggle with wanting to keep their friend happy and their friendship in tact, while also wanting to pursue the guy - who doesn't make a move on either of them, but also doesn't stop their advances. I can't tell if he's oblivious about their interest in him until they make it absolutely clear, or if he's committed to not making a move because he's unsure of what would happen (and/or wants to avoid responsibility). The feelings between three and how they react to them end up causing a lot of emotional pain and repression, and the conclusion is powerfully cathartic, joyful, and painful all at once. it probably only gets beaten out by Steins;Gate in my list because Steins;gate had better dialogue and voice acting.

#3 Death Note
- Probably everyone has watched this by now (though the manga is better), but there are some who haven't picked up this shounen classic that is as relevant, novel, and exciting today as it was when it first aired. I would have ended the series at episode 25 (because it deviates further from the manga and gets poorer after that - and the manga had started to go downhill at that point, too) and used a different ending than the (unintentionally?) humorous and character-inconsistent one they went with. I've gone back to watch it again once or twice, and - though it's fun - it's less enjoyable on additional playbacks because you know what's going to happen. However, that also highlights just how memorable each element of the series was.

- Essentially, it's a battle of on-the-fly strategy between two geniuses who are trying to reveal each other's identity (with one of them intending to kill the other, and the other intending to prove that the first has committed crimes). The depth of the thinking and the effortless brain power the two have is a big draw - as is their enthusiasm for the game they're playing. A lot of "lightning chess" and "awesome by analysis" moments - kind of like a Sherlock Holmes movie. The subtext is an argument about justice - whether or not it's defined by power, and whether or not the ends justify the means. One character is trying to change the world by killing criminals and controlling people with fear (and enjoys the control he gains, and defeating the person trying to catch him), whereas the other does detective work for his personal enjoyment (figuring out the crime and beating his opponent by proving it happened) and believes that locking criminals up is sufficient. In the end, neither is morally pure or a satisfactory hero, but both are fun anti-heroes to watch - and both of their goals are sympathetic (killing or locking away harmful people; coming out a victor from an extremely challenging competition).

#4 Code Geass
- Another series that is a widely-known, enjoyable watch. Though it's often compared to Death Note because of similar themes, there are elements that make it stand out as an anime of its own. At over 50 episodes, it has periods where things get dragged on, and I, frankly, lost interest here and there. While not as character-driven or exciting as the animes listed above, the interesting plot devices, character relationships, and unexpected developments make this one of the better series I've watched.

- Essentially a story of revolution and revenge, it's a hodgepodge of slice of life (as with early Steins;Gate), intellectual and strategic battles (as with Death Note), and tragic moments (as with White Album 2) - with enough surprises and twists to keep you tuning in. One of the main characters is a member of an oppressed population, despite being half-blood related to not only the oppressive population - but the royalty of said population. He seeks revenge on the oppressors and tries to free the oppressed populace from their occupation. Later on, he seems convinced that the two sides can work together with the right people in power - but things take a turn for the worse. The other main character is a member of the oppressed people and the son of one of their most influential people, but who chooses to attempt to change the oppressors from the inside by serving in the royal military. Both suffer loss due to their pursuits and choices, and end up with a plan that doesn't clearly provide a solution and doesn't really leave anyone happy. The show ends with more conflict on the horizon, but a bit of hope that equality and cooperation will come.

#5 Legend of the Galactic Heroes
- I'll probably get flack for placing this so low, but it went on for so long (110 episodes) and had so much dialogue while not having a whole lot of excitement or emotion in it. I might have a higher evaluation of it if I re-watched it, but that's a long trek. The fact that I don't recall a whole lot of what happened also makes me wonder if the actual content of the series was that great, or if I mostly enjoyed it for the messages and conflicts it presented.

- From what I recall, it's a series laden with philosophical questions about dictatorship/democracy/governance, war, and sacrifice. An empire run by a man with good intentions and an alliance of democratic states are in conflict, and the two battlefield commanders (one of whom is the emperor) are great combat strategists who have respect for each other's skill and opinions. There's some tragedy involved, but it wasn't a regular theme. There's some intellectual battle/strategy, but it's infrequent. The characters have purpose and backstory, but I didn't feel very invested in them. The series - in my memory - comes off as more of a discussion of themes (though it does them well) than as a whole product (themes, characters, action/excitement/memorable events, and story) - and that's why it's at number 5.

#6 Lucky Star
- Though it's 24 episodes long, it sure doesn't feel that way. The time watching them seems to breeze by - like time spent doing something you love in perfect weather (even inside people like me love having screen-covered windows open on nice days). I've re-watched it once or twice, and could easily do so again.

- The show is a feel-good, funny, low-mental-processing episodic series full of references and humorous slice-of-life moments. It doesn't waste the viewer's time with following the girls through their everyday activities - it just highlights the fun/funny stuff. Several otaku jokes are present via the otaku-girl character Konata (otaku here referring to the Japanese meaning of the term, not the pseudo-Japanese Americanized meaning). The post-show show "Lucky Channel" (contained at the end of each episode) has a lot of humorous/fun moments, as well - and so do the live-action antics that occur during the credits sequences.

#7 Welcome to the NHK
- Another 24-episode series, but this one drags on at times. It could easily be more concise - and more humorous and more dramatic when it focuses on those themes. I re-watched it because I couldn't really recall it and didn't have a strong emotional connection to it - and the re-viewing reminded me of why: it's long for what it attempts to cover, it's not intended to be enjoyable, and none of the characters end up particularly more happy or sad than they started out. I'm not even sure if they really changed much at all.

- The end of my previous paragraph is the point, though. It's an examination of the lives of people who aren't happy, who are in the non-crazy fringes of society, and whose life doesn't really change. In that sense (and in most of the content the series includes) it is very realistic - and that's why I liked it. The main male character is a mix of lazy shut-in and agoraphobe - but the fear of crowds is focused on so little and seems to be so easily combated that you're left wondering just how much he really is afraid of being out in public. He doesn't have a job, eats terribly, spends most of his time playing games/reading/masturbating, and doesn't have any friends.

The character is a representation of suicidal or near-suicidal people and people who are unemployed or in the lazy time between college semesters - except that he fails to be any of those things because the writers tried to make him all of them. In the end, he's just a messed up, lazy, no social life, inactive (as in, not even working on personal projects) guy. That makes him unsympathetic, yet relatable in various degrees to many people. The trials he goes through, ways he tries to solve problems (such as lack of money), and how he deals with relationships will be familiar to many - either due to their personal experiences or tales they've heard about others. But none of them seemed on-point for the true-to-life representations I was hoping for.

The secondary male is actually more realistic, despite being less fleshed out. His reactions and behaviors will also be familiar to many. He's the character that - while not getting along with people in general - still is trying to work hard, get an education, make money, and enjoy his time alone. He's embarrassed about his interests and how he spends his money when they're discovered by outsiders, but unashamed when around someone he thinks is safe. His crush on an attractive, popular girl goes unrequited after a hope-driven misunderstanding lets him believe that he might have a shot at getting what he wants - but like many guys, it doesn't seem that he was really interested in the girl as a person, anyway. Though his attitudes and behaviors invite condemnation, he's probably the most sympathetic character in the show.

Besides the slice-of-life for recluses theme, the main point of the anime is the relationship between the main male character and the main female character - and it's a very broken, sad, and unhealthy relationship, in the sense that neither is a good partner or aiming to be a good partner.

[Spoiler Alert] [While exact details aren't mentioned, reading on from here might dampen or ruin your enjoyment of the series.]

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The main female character has her own issues, and gets involved with the main male character in order to escape from them by focusing on someone else - someone safe. That's all that I'll reveal, because one of the biggest moments (emotionally, thematically, and climatically) involves the reveal of what her issues are and what that implies about all of what happened up to the time of the revelation. Just saying that much might be ruining it. Sorry about that.

In the end, none of the characters are happy, though it seems that the male and female main characters might try to have a relationship - and what you think of that likely will affect how you feel about the series. Even so, the last episodes of the series - for all of their dramatic themes and emotions - weren't nearly as impactful for me as they could've been, because I wasn't invested in the characters.

Watching the series is more like watching a documentary than watching a movie, and I think that was a detriment to it because it neither delivered on a portrayal of real characters/people nor (consequently and/or conversely) on providing characters that one could empathize with. In other words, the characters were amalgams of ideas and events, rather than people-like - and so I almost couldn't care about what happened to them. I watched for the events, which - though semi-realistic - weren't enough for me to rate this as a top pick. Which is too bad, because I think it could have been at #3 or better if done differently.

#8 Cowboy BeBop
- A classic that is on nearly every "Top X" list for anime for good reason, but which isn't stellar. The series contains 26 episodes, most of which stand as more-or-less independent tales involving a core cast of characters. It's a good watch, but there aren't many things to draw a person in for a re-watch.

- Because it's a "bounty hunters in space" anime in which the episodes are mostly used as character introductions and slice-of-life action oneshots, Cowboy BeBop is an easy watch. However, there's little climactic value or continuity to make you tune in from episode to episode - other than the fact that each episode is enjoyable. that changes at the end of the series, but it's arguable whether or not that arc was better than the episodic productions that came before it (of it it was well-executed at all). A good watch, but the lack of overall story, character depth, and dramatic content puts it at the lower half of my list.  Still, it's vastly superior to many shows - especially compared to other episodic anime.

#9 Baccano!
- Limited to 16 episodes, this is another series that I re-watched partially for fun and partially because I couldn't quite recall it. Re-watching reminded me that a good chunk of it just isn't memorable because it's almost slice-of-life-ish in the way that it portrays the story, but - as with NHK - that's the point.

- What I liked about this series is exactly what I think it aimed to make me like - it's a storytelling adventure with an ensemble cast, told like someone reading you the news paper instead of showing you a highlight reel of video clips. There are many characters with varied and interesting backgrounds, and while I never really felt for any of them or get attached to them, the events that occurred were interesting enough to keep my attention. Unlike my top 4 picks and Lucky Star, I didn't ever really look forward to an episode. There wasn't any very compelling or climactic action that led from episode to episode, and it wasn't so good of a series that I was eager to take in another episode. Rather, Baccano! is the type of anime that you can watch when you're bored or lethargic. You won't be wasting your time (compared to other shows), but you probably also won't be enthralled by the story or characters. Really, everything in this series is a very distant priority from relying one series of events from multiple perspectives - which is a goal that it pulls off flawlessly.

#10 Nope, my list ends at 9.
- I don't remember any other series that I feel was good enough to put on a "Top 10 Worthwhile Anime" list. There were a lot of series I've watched that were enjoyable or unique (e.g. Chihayafuru, Ergo Proxy, Trigun, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagaan), but I didn't feel rated highly enough on my top three criteria to list. Those criteria, by the way, are (1) interesting [attention-grabbing; memorable], (2) unique [different in content or goals from the norm], and (3) enjoyable [matches my preferred art style, content, and themes].

In exchange, here is an honorable mention, and an example of an anime that had a great concept at the start - but quickly changed and became unenjoyable.

Honorable mention - Angel Beats
- As a 15 episode series, you might think that it would have a concise and well-organized script. Sadly, that wasn't the case. I started off wishing that the anime would get to the point, and once I found out what the point was, I found myself wishing for more showcases of the individual characters' backstories. Aside from the content of the anime itself - in fact, more than the content itself - I love three of the songs that it features and were created for it. The first is the opening theme, which describes a somewhat-sad, somewhat-happy reaction to the central theme of the show. The second is an insert song portrayed as being written by one of the (if not the most) tragic characters. The third is the ending theme used in the last episode, which is a heartbreaking goodbye and remembrance of enjoyable things. The songs will make you cry more than the anime will - and the anime might not make you cry much at all.

- Describing the anime without spoilers is difficult. Most of the episodes are either slice-of-life or portraits of the characters' backgrounds - until very late in the series. Honestly, the slice-of-life things that weren't directly related to the characters' backstories frustrated and bored me, and I considered dropping the anime a few times. because I'd picked it up on very strong recommendations, I told myself I'd give it a few more episodes, and skip ahead by a few minutes every now and then if I wasn't enjoying it. I'm very glad that I kept watching. The anime is full of tragedy - but it's mostly tragedies from the past, rather than new developments. I was a bit annoyed that the anime didn't focus on the tragic circumstances of the present almost at all, actually - especially once some reveals occur. Angel Beats really should have had a second season, rather than the rushed ending it got. It also needed reorganization, and for a lot of the slice-of-life/action antics to be cut out or sped up - or given more dramatic value or climactic tension.

If it had been given more episodes and clearer direction, this could've easily been in my top 5.

From Great to Unenjoyable - Sword Art Online
- What a disaster. The series started off so well. As an exploration of what it might really be like to be trapped in a virtual world with your life on the line, it had me completely hooked. Sadly, that theme faded from view and was never really delivered on. I list SAO as an honorable mention solely for the fact of the initial concept that it failed to develop. By episode 6 of this 25 episode series, that concept of realism was abandoned in favor of of increasingly uninteresting and substanceless "trapped in a game world" direction. By episode 15, it had completely changed course. Instead of being an examination of human frailty and adaptation in a gamer-friendly world, it had become a "princess in a castle", "rescue the girl", forgettable disappointment.

The themes in the initial episodes might have made for one of my top 3 favorite animes of all time if done well as part of a multi-season show. Instead, the more episodes I watched afterward, the more I felt like I'd been tricked into buying a used car that would die after a few hours of driving.
[tr]   [td]
.............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td].............................................  [/td]   [/tr]   [tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td]
Hover over a link to see a description
[/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][/table]

Drake Valentine

Currently watching Nieskoi.......... I mean, first I just watch an episode to pass time, since I already watch up to everything so far that I enjoyed on Crunchyroll, but before I knew it I am on episode 13. >_<

Other than that... I am watching Coffin Princess... Black Bullet... Ummmm... *Too lazy to boot up PS3* That Irregular Highschool thing anime with mages attending school. Fairy Tail(obviously) and Hunter x Hunter(but that anime got weird now) I am sure there are three or four others I am watching, oh Naruto, that is a given as well.

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

Zeth

Watching the Mini Series Afro Samurai. I'm loving it, but it is more serious then my usual fare. I am also watching Date A Live and just finished Tiger & Bunny. Tiger & Bunny is the best super hero anime I ever seen.

Haibane

I have recently been going through a phase of anime movies and one I watched yesterday was very good. Its not a genre I usually watch but I caught a short clip of it in an AMV on YouTube and decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did because it was fantastic. Called "Sword of the Stranger" it's set in feudal Japan, I'd guess around the 1600s because an arquebus is used late in the story and it has some of the nicest, smoothest animation I've seen for a while. Made in 2007 it uses some rather obvious 3D CGI in certain scenes but the computer-drawn 2D animation is very nice. It ends in a climactic battle and sword fight which is simply epic. Highly recommended if you like lots of cool dudes weilding katanas and hacking off heads and limbs in lightning fast moves with fountains of blood ;)

Garuss Vakarian

A few more recently made anime that I watched recently. And LOVE! But went under the radar a bit. Are,

Marai Nikki {Future Diary}
You like stories that play with windows into the future? You like 'until there is one left' kind of plots? Do you like a dark story? Do you ever wonder about time, and space? Do you want your mind blown by one of the best dam twists I have ever seen. (No seriously. I DARE you to see it coming!) Watch this show. It is about Yuki (I hate this kid some times. But, his reactions are some what realistic and understandable. Although he still sounds like a whiny bitch.) A boy who writes down his entire day in his phone diary. In his mind, or so he thought. He has imaginary conversations with Deus Ex Machina. The lord of time and space. Deus, decides to bring the boy into a competition. And after being saved by his stalker Yuno (Number 2.) Deus shows Yuki whats going on. And to all the other contestants. Declares Yuki number 1, and as the one he hopes to be victor. It is a game to the death. All contestants have diary's that show them windows into the future. All must kill each other. The winner takes Deus ex Machinas place as god, and keeper of time and space. Each contestant must be smart. Or else they will see the two most frightening words their diary's can bestow them. [Dead End]

Shiki
This is a inclredible story! Oh my god.... This anime.... This anime.... No, this book! Adapted into a manga! That was adapted into a anime which takes from both the book and manga! Becouse the story is just THAT GOOD. Ok what Null said on helsing in the opening post, is partially true now. Helsing gives one kind of vampire. (Brutal, savage, evil.) But, Shiki gives 'real vampires. It is a perfect vampire story. One of The best EVER told. It Was made into an anime in 2010. And again, Shiki, gives you 'real vampires.' Being's of the night. Who feast on human blood not out of evil, or spite, but because it is what they NEED to do to survive. After all, this world works on a food chain. Strong prey on the weak. Kill or be eaten, eat or be killed. We eat animals, is it really so different for them?  This anime ask's a lot of heavy, hard hitting questions. And, This anime gives a lot of grey, no side truly being good or evil. You have to watch it. I warn you, it is dark, sad, and extremely adult. By the end, everything is flipped on it's side. Characters you thought you knew? Well, you did not know them. And this anime goes so far, get's so good. That the best way I can describe it without spoiling ANYTHING. Is this: You HAVE to ask yourself. "Who was truly the monster's?"

Plot synopsis: A mansion has been built in Sobota. And ever since the new neighbor's moved in. A mysterious plague has begun to kill the towns people. In the middle of no where, it is impossible to prove this was some new disease or virus. But, once the bodies begin to pile. And familiar, dead faces seen. Some of the people begin to question. If this is really a plague at all. Are the dead... Returning?

Only con's: Starts pretty slow. So a casual viewer may just give up by episode 2 or 3, despite shit picking up gradually and awesomely. And, since it is an anime that only aired 24 episodes in total.  It did not have the time required to give all of the ambiance from the books and manga.

Now, why are they more true vampires then in helsing? Well, if you consider this a spoiler, I have it in a spoiler tag.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Well, in Shiki. Heres their details: They must be invited into your home to enter. They are only as strong as they were in life. The only way they die is to have their circulatory system cut off so that they bleed to death. IE: Traditional stake to the heart or decapitating them. The sun slowly melt's them. Humans once bitten are susceptible to mind control and hypnosis. They never age. Not always does one turn, once a victims blood is drank fully and you die. only some times will the victims come back as Shiki. They have minor levitation. They keep their personality, memories, and appearance from life (Effectively being the SAME person. Being a vampire is practically another chance at life. It's undeath, but life none the less. They FEAR death like normal people do. They feel love, compassion, Charity, hate, anger, fear.... Pain. Most of all, HUNGER. Starving to death being more excruciating for them then the sun.)  They must feed on humans to live.

Now, for two older animes I LOVE! and you must see.

Elfen Leid!

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni! (When the Cicades Cry. Or other wise When They Cry. This is what came first between Umeniko No Naku Koro Ni. When the Sea Gull's Cry. But both are equally good and twisted.)

Edit: Romance wise. I own and have enjoyed every single Negima manga. :P . As well as enjoying the Anime H20. Lastly Shuffle!?! was a good anime. (Yes, !?! is part of the title.)  And dont worry ladies, Shuffle may be a harem story but, man is it's romance and emotional scenes breath taking.

Caeli

I can't wait for Sailor Moon Crystal to premiere!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Zeth

I finished Afro Samurai and loved it. I am now looking for "Sword of the Stranger" Haibane mentioned. I am also  watching the rest of Samurai Chlampoo. It seems I developed a taste for sword fighting shows.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Caeli on June 12, 2014, 01:23:14 PM
I can't wait for Sailor Moon Crystal to premiere!
Is that what they're calling the reboot/remake?

I wonder how it'll be.

The issue I had with the original series was how formulaic it was, there was a pattern you could see every single episode.  I wonder if they'll change it a bit here.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Haibane

I think the formulaic layout of some anime has its roots in Japanese storytelling. It seems odd to western viewers but has a different impact on Japanese viewers and of course almost all anime is aimed at a home market. I think we westerners just have to observe and think about things and ask why? And try to get a clearer understanding. Its a culture clash, just in a cartoon medium.

Other series that had formulaic elements (just very fast off the top of my head) Evangelion - a series of alien attackers that arrive to destroy earth one after another when if you think about it there is no logical reason why all the angels couldn't have attacked at once. The sword fight sequences in Revolutionary Girl Utena (in fact almost the entire first arc of 12 eps was repetition after repetition when a western story teller may have taken a very different approach). There were numerous repeated sequences in Mawaru Penguindrum but then its the same director as Utena.

There's repetition in western stories sometimes as well, e.g. Goldilocks and the Three Bears so perhaps there's a deeper psychological reason why some storytelling is structured this way.

Drake Valentine

I can't wait for the reboot of Fate/Stay Night. ^_^

Fate Zero was an amazing anime. The original Fate/Stay Night was okay, but I think they have a different group doing the remake of it. (Actually if I am not mistaken, it is the same group that did Fate Zero, could be wrong.)

Also not so impressed with the rumors of Sword Art Online, they are continuing it, but from what I hear it is with a female version of the main character. My friend was telling me that all they did was give him boobs and take away the penis. >.<` Of course my friend could of just been trolling me on this, but most of time he is usually right with his information. (Minus times he is messing with me, although he is a big SAO fan, so I dunno really.)

I rather they did the other rumor I heard, the one that they reboot the entire anime over. Actually, they might, hopefully. In the manga they were already at 100 floor which left things confusing and went backwards. They are working on a new manga where they start out at first floor and go up, so maybe there will be an anime adaption to that one day. Although this manga is still fairly new, I was looking at it like a few months ago and I think they just got to the first boss, So maybe an adaption to it will be out like in years from now. 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Haibane on June 13, 2014, 09:58:09 AM
I think the formulaic layout of some anime has its roots in Japanese storytelling.

I meant episode by episode, you knew when everything was going to happen, every episode.  Because it works out the exact same way, for the most part.  I'm hoping for a little more variety.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Haibane

Yes, that's what formulaic means in terms of an episodic story. Repetition across episodes. Its clearly a deliberate storytelling device. What we who find it strange should be asking is why does the director do this? What does he wish to achive using this device?

Saying that you don't like it is an unsatisfactory response because that isn't going to stop it happening. If we can try to understand it, it may become less unsatisfactory.

Chris Brady

It's an opinion, just mine.  I'm hoping for something different.  But if it doesn't, not the end of the world. :)

BlueMaiden88

I have a strong aversion to really lengthy or repetative anime series.  I'm also turned off by series that rely on constant randomness, panty shots, and redundant characters (For example, Naruto and his "Believe it" phrase). 

Recently, I've watched.

Humanity Has Declined- an interesting take on fairies in a post apocalyptic world.  The fairies operate in a fashion much closer to their traditional roots in folklore- deceptive, capricious, and not necessarily malicious.  They also have creepy faces fixed in an unchanging smile that leads you to believe it could be a mask hiding something terrible.  The series doesn't follow a strict chronological line because the fairies frequently pull the main characters OUT of a linear chronological flow.

Blue Exorcist- It's already starting to feel like Naruto, so, if it continues to repeat the same scenarios, I may take a break from it for a while.

Attack on Titan- Perhaps I have a sick sense of humor, but I watch this mainly to laugh at how ridiculously incompetent and unprepared they all are, despite the technology they were obviously able to develop and have at their disposal.  The intrigue surrounding the over-dramatic titan attacks does have my attention, though.

Full Metal Alchemist- I'm rewatching because it pleases me.

Ergo Proxy/ Witch Hunter Robin- Both have a similar conspiracy theorist vibe, strong female lead, and a dark moody feel.  I'm rewatching for the sake of revisiting series that I used to love as a teen.

Poyopoyo/ Chi's Sweet Home- Both are great palate cleansers if you're watching a lot of weird, violent, or dark stuff.  Both series are about cats doing cat things and each 'episode' is only a few minutes long.

there's others that are on my list, but I don't feel like it.

Haibane

Quote from: BlueMaiden88 on June 20, 2014, 01:30:23 PM
I have a strong aversion to really lengthy or repetative anime series.
I'd ask you to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena and then give us feedback.

Zeth

Quote from: Haibane on June 21, 2014, 01:32:52 PM
I'd ask you to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena and then give us feedback.

I'd be surprised if you could FIND Revolutionary Girl Utena in the first place. I was hard pressed to find Ranmma 1/2 and it was obscenely popular. RGU is less known and older.

Haibane

You can buy it on a DVD set. I did.

If you are a naughty person its all over the internet via torrent.

But really, buy the DVDs, you'll be glad you did.

It's one of those anime series that uses the old school techniques of VERY repetitive scenes and for the first 12 eps you are in a very WTF state of mind... with regards to all aspects of the show (but this is deliberate - the show's director, Kunihiko Ikuhara, who is a close friend of Anno Hideaki (Neon Genesis Evangelion)) uses repetitive music and sequences for a specific effect - it really makes the story what it is - us westerners just have to sit through this and accept it.

Honestly - you may sit there for several (aka 20) episodes with a huge WTF on your forehead, but please ... just persevere. If you can, the most amazing and awesome story will unfold to draw you in. I promise it will blow your mind in beautiful ways.

Vampricprincessty

My favorite list of anime is something that is way too long to write here but recently I have watched:

Sword Art online: I actually rewatched it because I like the story line and it reminds me a little of .hack//sign

Dragonball Z: Also rewatching because I just got all of it and its fucking over 9000!!!

Attack on Titan: I can't wait until season 2 is here!

Hakuoki: I bought the game so why not watch the anime? Plus now I am in love with Okita!

himawari

still catching up on Naruto Shippuden. rewatching Nana.
favourite anime so far is Kimi Ni Todoke.
planning to watch Yowamushi Pedal because I heard it was funny.

I like D. Gray Man, Shingeki no Kyojin and Black Butler too.

I guess I am more of a shonen/shojo anime kind of person.
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

yuki92

I love anime, there are a lot of great anime... (and manga and Light novel and visual novel) ;)

Notable series for me :
Ghost at school, Ninku, Flame of Recca, etcetc (It's great the first time i watched it, but if you watched it now, the graphic will be meh..)

for the recent series :
Log Horizon (If you're mmorpg player yourself, i think this one will be more interesting than SAO)
No Game No Life (It's awesome , the story is interesting)
Bokura wa minna kawaisou (It's your usual romantic comedy anime, but somehow it's very good.)
Mekaku City (The art is awesome, and it's KagePro ;) )
Isshukan Friends

maybe i'm watching too much anime ... lol

Zeth

Quote from: yuki92 on July 02, 2014, 09:44:52 PM
I love anime, there are a lot of great anime... (and manga and Light novel and visual novel) ;)

Notable series for me :
Ghost at school, Ninku, Flame of Recca, etcetc (It's great the first time i watched it, but if you watched it now, the graphic will be meh..)

for the recent series :
Log Horizon (If you're mmorpg player yourself, i think this one will be more interesting than SAO)
No Game No Life (It's awesome , the story is interesting)
Bokura wa minna kawaisou (It's your usual romantic comedy anime, but somehow it's very good.)
Mekaku City (The art is awesome, and it's KagePro ;) )
Isshukan Friends

maybe i'm watching too much anime ... lol

Watching too much anime? Balderdash! there is no such thing. o3o

Haibane

I never, or almost never watch action series. Mechas, magical girls, swordsmen, etc. Not my thing. There's the occasional exception though.

I like to watch series that make you sit and think, say things like "Wait? Why is THAT happening? What on earth was THAT? Why's he there? What's with that reaction?" Things like that. Puzzles that tease and make you rewatch episodes just to get a clue what's going on. I like a good comedy too. I rewatch Azumanga Daioh now and then just for a good laugh. I'm a sucker for slushy romance but it has to be the right kind of romance; I don't much go for rom-coms without something more in them to beef them up and I rarely watch harem.

I know a list probably won't inspire others but my favourite series of all time:

1) Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion Movie (Hideaki Anno is a superb storyteller - and he wrote this while coming out of a long depression. Incredible)
2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (the non linear original broadcast order was a stroke of pure genius)
3) Bakemonogatari and its following seasons (this has got to be the most stylish and clever anime ever, hilarious in parts, comically breaking apart tropes and fanservice, and with the three most appealing female leads I can name)
4) Beck (for some reason the realism in the relationships and the slice of life progress of this story connected with me. The final concert scene I can watch again and again)
5) Usagi Drop (so cute, so touching, I cried almost every episode, such an unusual and perfect anime)
6) Revolutionary Girl Utena (Symbolism and allegory for the win)
7) Paranoia Agent
8) Aku no Hana (there's very little recent anime in my list but this one was spectacular; dark, creepy and moody, the art style fitted it perfectly)
9) Serial Experiments Lain
10) Hyouka (I rarely watch rom-coms but there was something extra about this one that kept me fascinated. I was glad I did because the ending was special. I think maybe Chitanda Eru has the most gorgeous eyes in all anime as well ;) )
11) Cowboy Bebop

For movies I like a puzzle as well, but a good tearjerker is my thing. In no particular order:

1) The Sky Crawlers (such a weird, crazy and mind-bending film. Amazing air-combat CGI as well)
2) Colourful (tremendous art and relationships)
3) Summer Days with Coo (I cried my eyes out)
4) Whisper of the Heart
5) Ghost in the Shell (the first movie, the others... meh)
6) Wings of Honnamise - Royal Space Force (clever world building, beautiful art, great characters and a stunning battle scene at the end)
7) Akira (of course!)
8) The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (funny, cute, sad and wonderful art)
9) Jin Roh (dark, awesome and complicated. It made my brain hurt)
10) Eve no Jikan (beautiful art again and a clever take on an old theme)
11) Letter to Momo (again beautiful artwork and a mix of comedy with sadness)
12) Sword of the Stranger (my exception to my 'no fighting' rule. The swordfight sequences in this were simply amazing, the animation incredible)
13) Tekkon Kinkreet (a weird mesh of American comic and Japanese animators, very cool indeed)
14) Wolf Children (awww)

There's two directors whose work I adore as well, Makoto Shinkai and the sadly now gone Satoshi Kon. Everything both have done is beautiful, though I especially like Shinkai's "Place Promised" and "Garden of Words" - realism in that last film is so magically perfect that at times you can't believe its animated.

Inari

Recent views:

Shiki: Was pretty decent and I have to say it was interesting seeing vampires-like beings portrayed like that.

Black Butler Season 2: I ended up dropping this mid-way a few years back and decided to pick it back up. Turned out to be interesting and I can't help but glare at fan girls and feel bad for one of the characters at the end who gets trolled very very hard.

Attack on Titan: Seems a little meh and predictable so far.

King Serperior

Okay, I am lacking on the Anime and need some good suggestions.  I specifically love Mecha Anime.  I have already watched and enjoyed the following:

• Code Geass
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Gundam 00
  • Zoids:  New Century Zero
  • Zoids: Chaotic Century (really should rewatch that though)

There may be more, and I have most certainly watched many other great animes like Tiger & Bunny, Death Note (only season 1), All the Yugioh seasons, YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball / Dragon Ball Z, Soul Eater, Bleach (Minus the filler seasons, of course), Full Metal Alchemist (Not Brotherhood), Dragon Drive, All Digimon up to Frontier, and Devil May Cry.

If anyone has any suggestions along these lines, I'd take a look at them.  Thanks!

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.