Everyone's saying that our economy has turned a corner...

Started by Inkidu, July 24, 2008, 06:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I'm saying literally pennies would be enough I'm not saying gouge. That's the problem because of the whole freaking recession scare people are gouging gas and other things. I wasn't talking about luxury items by the way. I remember not being able to by dog food because Pet-Smart wouldn't pay for the damn gas to put it on the shelves. Now how are they going to make money if it's not out their to buy. Don't say dog food is a luxury either, because I'm sure my dog is really used to eating. Anyway this is the comedy forum so I'm not going to say anything more on it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Trieste

The joke was funny... the problem is that the economy is not in a funny state. When someone like me - hard-working, a fairly quick learner and good at staying on task even when multitasking (not tooting my own horn; these are all things past employers have said about me) - cannot find a job at anything including fast food and other low-wage, low-skill jobs, I'd say it's pretty well not frickin funny anymore.

Sherona

Quote from: Trieste on July 27, 2008, 10:01:40 PM
The joke was funny... the problem is that the economy is not in a funny state. When someone like me - hard-working, a fairly quick learner and good at staying on task even when multitasking (not tooting my own horn; these are all things past employers have said about me) - cannot find a job at anything including fast food and other low-wage, low-skill jobs, I'd say it's pretty well not frickin funny anymore.

*hires Trieste for miscellaneous jobs ....you accept monopoly money right?*

But yes. I agree. People are not being able to find jobs for anything, employers looking to cut costs to help fund gas bills and energy costs that are sky rocketting, and the fewer people spending money for their services/products are outsourcing more to cheaper labor...its rough.

Trieste

Quote from: Sherona on July 27, 2008, 11:44:26 PM
*hires Trieste for miscellaneous jobs ....you accept monopoly money right?*

Only if you can convince my landlord to accept it.  ::)

Paradox

Does your state have an Employment Commission?

For instance, Virginia has the VEC ( http://www.vec.virginia.gov/vecportal/index.cfm ). Maybe your state has something similar. They're very adept at finding jobs for people. Oftentimes they'll ask you for your preferred field of work interest, and send you openings in that area. Of course, they still used old-fashion mail when I last used their services, but it was still a damned handy service to have when I was looking for work.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker