News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Actually it isn't that common for the BBC to produce so few episodes of a popular show but lots of things have conspired against them, Steven Moffat being busy with both Sherlock and Dr Who alongside both Cumberbatch and Freeman now having huge international profiles so they don't really 'need' to do make any more episodes. Moffat has said that convincing the pair of them to return becomes hard with each new run.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on May 08, 2016, 11:50:28 AM
Actually it isn't that common for the BBC to produce so few episodes of a popular show but lots of things have conspired against them, Steven Moffat being busy with both Sherlock and Dr Who alongside both Cumberbatch and Freeman now having huge international profiles so they don't really 'need' to do make any more episodes. Moffat has said that convincing the pair of them to return becomes hard with each new run.

I hate how a lot of the stuff they make that really interests me will only be 6 episodes to a season instead of 10, 12 or even 13. I want more of that good stuff!

I was looking at the cast list for Luke Cage and it's fucking packed. Like, there are more than twice as many people on the front page (without having to click "Show All Cast") as Daredevil or Jessica Jones, both of which have already premiered. I haven't heard of most of them but it's primarily African-American which is appropriate given the subject matter. I'm glad Marvel isn't going to tiptoe around that in this case since that was the one thing they kind of glossed over in Jessica Jones which touched on just about every taboo and controversial subject out there. I have confidence it will be just as popular and well-received as the other Netflix/Marvel collaborations and will silence all the idiots out there who say that such things that are centered around non-white characters will be unsuccessful. Most of us don't watch these things because of those kind of cultural components, we watch them because they are part of our culture, i.e. nerd culture (specifically the aspect of superhero fandom).

Also, some interesting news about Sharon Stone...

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59804880?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2418398782&pf_rd_r=0GVTAJSHWFPDX16DJ63K&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp4
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

Quote from: mia h on May 08, 2016, 11:50:28 AM

I should have been more precise on that, what i meant is its usually 6 or so episode seasons with like a hourish episodes. But yah Sherlock is being held back by a lot of things.

EDIT: Hmm Sharon Stone as the wasp? Yah i could see that

...  You know honestly one character that was in the last few movies made young that i always taught felt really weird was Sue Storm, i always had her in mind as more of an adult
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Far eyes on May 06, 2016, 05:48:33 PM
So i managed to catch Civil War Captain America (No spoilers) but in some respect this feels like Marvel inadvertently just doing one of these to BvS

So no spoilers but the movie was awesome, i would put it still behind the first Avengers but not by much.
For some reason we did end up having 3 brakes during the showing i think something was up with the tech in the cinema since normally they do not do brakes

My words Exactly!

I admit I was abit unsure of T'challa at first, until I saw him in action!

*adds yet another to my Husbando list (Though Steve will always be my #1)*

After this movie I hope his next movie goes well. I am in some ways glad that they moved away from the comics (especially not involving a certain reporter). Only complaint I had was the shaky cam in some areas and I feel like some things could have been done better with the villain's storyline.

Also Cap's love interest felt....I don't know...kind of rushed.

TheGlyphstone

Cap's romance only makes sense if you've seen Winter Soldier recently, since 90% of the buildup was in that movie. This was just the capstone to that arc, randomly shoved into the middle of Civil War for no reason.

Far eyes

Well it is a captain america movie, the civil war just kind of gets rolling there :P
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

I'm waiting for next Sunday, my birthday, to see it, so careful with the minor tidbit spoilers.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Good point. I've kicked off a separate general spoiler-open thread, that we can discuss the movie in:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=248960.0

mia h

Civil War been out for almost a fortnight now, expecting people not to talk about the movie after that length of time is kinda unrealistic.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Deamonbane

Quote from: mia h on May 08, 2016, 05:41:04 PM
Civil War been out for almost a fortnight now, expecting people not to talk about the movie after that length of time is kinda unrealistic.
People did it for SW:TFA and Deadpool.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

Far eyes

US got it like.. a week later *Points laughs*
Just teasing

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 08, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
It came out 3 days ago in the US.

^ This. Let's confine the condescending pretentiousness to our opinions about the movies themselves like we've been doing.

Anyway, apparently the movie is well on its way to a billion, with way more momentum than BvS. We're looking at potential similar to Iron Man 3 as a non-Avengers film being able to get into the billion + some multiple of 100 million area. I hope this high audiences are getting from Marvel will spill over to Doctor Strange since the controversies about the casting are starting to make it look unfavorable, and with him being one of my favorite Marvel characters, I want his first film to do well.

Far eyes

Yah well some people are constantly offended at everything

A/A

SapphireStar

I kind of don't see Sharon Stone being in a superhero movie. It would actually be interesting if they cast Catherine Zeta-Jones in the next Ant-Man as the first Wasp would be better. She is married to Michael Douglas after all.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 08, 2016, 07:44:54 PM
I kind of don't see Sharon Stone being in a superhero movie. It would actually be interesting if they cast Catherine Zeta-Jones in the next Ant-Man as the first Wasp would be better. She is married to Michael Douglas after all.

But even if this story is supposed to have taken place in the past, aren't their ages still pretty significantly far apart? Also, it wasn't exactly certain that the movie she was going to appear in was Ant-Man and the Wasp. She's got Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Black Panther and Infinity War Part 1 that all have yet to get into production to any significant degree and which haven't got all of their new cast members confirmed yet to round out Phase 1. Ant-Man and the Wasp is the first film of the post-Infinity War 1 part of Phase 3 and that's a ways away, so is it likely they'd cast someone in that this far ahead of time? They haven't even cast Captain Marvel yet and I'm getting anxious.

Far eyes

I am not sure why it is that the Thor movies are always bit of a mess, now they are always a bit of a miss i really enjoy. But thats more because i like mythology and i like the take they are doing on the quasy techno angle. I also enjoy a lot of the style of comedy that comes up.

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 09, 2016, 05:27:25 AM
I am not sure why it is that the Thor movies are always bit of a mess, now they are always a bit of a miss i really enjoy. But thats more because i like mythology and i like the take they are doing on the quasy techno angle. I also enjoy a lot of the style of comedy that comes up.

I don't have any problems with the Thor franchise as a whole. The only thing I kind of disliked about the first one was that, without his powers, that whole middle action scene where he breaks into the SHIELD compound and fights off a bunch of human guards is very anticlimactic when compared to the first action scene in Jotunheim, and the final action scene in Asgard. But The Dark World managed to fix that problem and, if I had one other superficial complaint, it would be that there wasn't quite enough humor in the first one to off-set how slow it seemed thanks to him being depowered for the majority of the film, and again, The Dark World fixed that (though thanks to the pacing, it didn't NEED that much extra humor, it was just a nice bonus.) But I'm curious to see how Ragnarok will fare now that they're seemingly getting rid of most of the human cast and it will therefore presumably take place primarily outside of Midgard. Most complaints seem leveled at the supporting characters like Jane Foster, Erik Selvig and Darcy Lewis. Maybe without them, the story can focus on Nordic lore more and open up broader potential for comic book references.

Zekromnomnom

I would feel weird about Sharon Stone playing Janet, but that's mostly because when I didn't have access to adult material in my early teen years, I snuck away to my room with a copy of Basic Instinct and pretty much wore the tape out :P

Inkidu

I'm just hoping they don't do the freaking origin story to the Spider-Man movie. We don't need it. After cartoons, the Rami trilogy, and a reboot I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know how Spider-Man comes to be.

Though it does beg the question. What are they going to do?

Also, is anyone else a little weirded out that New York has more superheroes per capita than anywhere else in the Marvel Universe. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SapphireStar

Maybe that is what they are going for if that is who they are casting Sharon Stone for. Basic it is that tie to the movie Basic Instinct and that she had such chemistry with Michael Douglas. Personally, Catherine Zeta Jones would be more appropriate to cast. She is married to Michael Douglas. She has done a number of action movies, the two Zorro movies, Entrapment, The Phantom, etc. She and Evangeline Lily look similar.

It was announced that Ben Affleck is now an executive producer on the Justice League movie. The position will allow him to make creative descions, like the script, casting, etc.

Far eyes

QuoteIt was announced that Ben Affleck is now an executive producer on the Justice League movie. The position will allow him to make creative descions, like the script, casting, etc.

1) Hire large muscular man with whip
2) Tell him to hit Zack Snyder every time he tries to add or take away anything to the script
3) ...

A/A

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Inkidu on May 09, 2016, 10:12:19 AM
I'm just hoping they don't do the freaking origin story to the Spider-Man movie. We don't need it. After cartoons, the Rami trilogy, and a reboot I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know how Spider-Man comes to be.

Though it does beg the question. What are they going to do?

Also, is anyone else a little weirded out that New York has more superheroes per capita than anywhere else in the Marvel Universe. :P

That's pretty much the formula for the mainstream comics too. You wanna know what the real weird part is? Out of all the Avengers and Fantastic Four? Taking care of crime in the city is normally left up to Spidey and Daredevil.

Something I couldn't help but think about when I saw Age of Ultron really. After that epic opening where we see the Avengers and their resources in action against Hydra I was in total awe. Then I see them return to New York and start partying it up I couldn't help but think that somewhere out there Daredevil is currently fighting criminals and getting the daylights beaten out of him regularly. I wondered how often Matt Murdock hoped Iron Man would just fly by and decided to help or Captain America would show up randomly to beat Fisk to a pulp with his shield. (This was this time last year before Spidey was confirmed for Civil War)

Quote from: Far eyes on May 09, 2016, 03:06:56 PM
1) Hire large muscular man with whip
2) Tell him to hit Zack Snyder every time he tries to add or take away anything to the script
3) ...

You sir get a cookie.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Far eyes

I see that more in the nature of tool appropriate for the job.
You would not want the Hulk doing street level heroics
Cap is a soldier at heart i think in some way he sees his function much more in that direction
Tony in some ways would also be ill equipped to do the task 
Some of the others could but there powers might be more scary and destructive then your common street tug

A/A

CaptainNexus616

I have to agree with that. I was just pointing out how the regular criminals were normally left up to Spidey and Daredevil in the comics despite both being Avengers on and off.

That said the Avengers really seem to work best in the function of a response team like in the first movie. They are the guys who can deal with the big threats against the people.

However whenever they get involved in more political matters....well the comic book Civil War, Avengers vs. X-Men, and the movie version of Ultron are just examples of how bad some things can go.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌