Trying to find work in the uk *Warning Ranting*

Started by Malgriff, July 20, 2011, 09:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malgriff

Right so im 19 years old, I got good grades in school and have a btech from college, im moving to another course but the summer holidays are killing me. I've applied for more jobs then I can count and got F*** all from any of them. They dont reply and most are looking for expirienced workers or Senior staff.

This is really pissing me off, I don't need the money so much as a reason to get up in the moring, im bored which is making me depressed, I am on the verge of teares almost every day and it's effecting everything else. Im trying to study music for my next course and i can't focus on it. Im lashing out at my little brother and my mum and I hate doing that, it doesnt help that mum is not working either because of a bad knee, so I do most of the house work and cook every day but not enough to apply for a carer's grant.

My brother antagonises me every chance he gets, when I tell him I don't want to talk he starts mouthing off thinking he is better then me. I ignore him but it still pisses me off to no end. What am I supposed to do? I can't even leave the house because I have nowhere to go. I have two friends who I sometimes visit but one I can't get to because I need transport and can't afford it and I don't drive and the other is going through things herself and doesn't really want me around.

If anyone has any advice I would appriciate it, baring in mind I have tried careers advisors, i wont do charity work despite me saying I don't care about money, I wont work for free either.

ofDelusions

Have you thought about trying volunteer working?

Oniya

Go around to neighbors and offer to do yard work for a modest sum?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Syauglan

Ever thought about starting your own business?

RubySlippers

Busking might be an option I make nice extra money and often when I'm out of work my only money doing that, I can pull in playing just a kazoo (a nice high end wooden one) $10-20 an hour in a good spot. Its not hard to come up with an act you can get paid for its a very wide brush what counts as performing balloon sculpting, face painting, living statues and such all count. You might need a permit to do it in your area but its an option nevertheless.

Malgriff

setphaserstofun

Ahh, the old BTEC. I remember those days.

I ended up taking the apprenticeship route. I got a few qualifications from college and didn't fancy going to Uni. If you know what you want to do and there's an apprenticeship in it then I'd suggest looking at that.

But you do say you already have another course to get to so I guess it's just a summer job you're after? Have you tried all of the shops near you? The best plan of attack is usually printing off a dozen or two copies of your CVs and dropping them into various shops asking if they have any part time hours. My sister was recently in the same boat and this is around the time where some shop staff have 'summer hollidays' to look after their kids and need replacements. If you haven't tried that I'd definitely suggest it :)

Malgriff

I have tried that, got me nowhere unfortunatly. Thing is my speciality is in the creative arts, I just finished performing arts and moving into music tech. I have a part time job waiting for me when I go back to colege as a band's rodie, but till then i pretty much have no skills for any other job.

RubySlippers

Let me get this straight your a performer in training and an artist and you don't want to Busk ,in Europe, for money?

You do know in much of Europe you would be considered an artist doing that and I can't believe the UK is that different. Here sure I'm a step over a panhandler or vagrant but there you would be a long and recognized profession.

You seem to love performing then do it for an income.

Malgriff

yeah..the extent of my abilities would be to recite poetry or shakespear in the street. And in the town I live in thats like asking for the local teens to stab me.

Polymorph

Most firms in the UK get their unskilled temporary staff through employment agencies these days. Registering at a couple in your area might bring in short term work. I work through agencies when I'm between contracts, the work mostly sucks, packing in warehouses and that sort of thing and it's usually minimum wage, but it keeps the bills paid until something better turns up.

Malgriff

i've registered with quite a few agencies :/ nothin

Oniya

Here's a question - are you applying for things just in your field, or are you casting a wide net?  Have you considered things like babysitting, running errands for seniors, and the like?  For example, my mother-in-law has a woman who comes in once a week and 'does for her' - it's basically what you've described that you do at home, only you get paid for it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Malgriff

I am trying to be as broad as possable, I get paid for baby sitting for y aunt but only £5 a time, and it's rare she needs me. as for the chores for other people thing, yeah I don't trust the people in my town to clean up their houses or run errands for them.

Oniya

Maybe your aunt could help you by recommending you to people that she knows and trusts?  Networking can be a very effective way of getting work.

Malgriff

Syauglan

Quote from: Akumamika on July 21, 2011, 01:01:28 PM
I am trying to be as broad as possable,

I think this is a very good idea. If you reskill for many different types of work and diversify your income stream as much as possible you will be more resilient. Don't expect much help from private hiring agencies or the government Jobcentre. They are almost useless for finding anything but exploitative employers right now. You will do best finding or making your own work.

I hope I'm wrong but I believe things will probably continue to worsen for the UK economy, especially in the long term. You may end up living in a dramatically different country to the one school and college taught you to expect.

Malgriff

yeah I am really not liking where this country is going, im tempted to move outside the uk. :/

Oniya

Syauglan

I don't know about that Oniya. There is always room for maneuver. I got out of the UK myself for exactly the reason Akumamika gave; I did not like where it was going. Just about everywhere is changing fast due to bottlenecks in economy, ecology and energy yet there are places that are better than others to adapt to these very interesting times.

Malgriff

unfortunatly im stuck because I would need the money to move, and to get money i need the job :/