The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Yeah during those talks Sony stated they would have liked to retain control over film rights for Spidey and Marvel said no.

Now however it would seem a new Spider-Man will be joining the MCU before proceeding into his own Sony produced franchise. So it definitely looks like Andrew Garfield is Spider-Man No More. He had been considering leaving anyway so more power to him. Brings the interesting question now as to who will be casted for this new Spider-Man. Makes me also wonder if the MCU will get a little ballsy and do a different Spidey?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

News is reporting a new actor will be cast as Spider-man.  THough apparently, Sony will still own, distribute, finance and have final creative say with the Spider-man movies according to reports.

CaptainNexus616

Talk about working out a complicated deal. Regardless it will be a big profit for both Sony and Marvel in the end game. At least they finally worked something out. Looks like we may get to see Spidey in Infinity War after all.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Lady Sif will be reappearing on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on March 10th. According to the news on the episode, she has lost her short term memory, knows nothing about Thor, or who/what she is. This should be interesting, and wonder if this will play into the third Thor movie. Also, they've added Luke Mitchell to the cast as an Inhuman character.

I think Infinity War spanned all the Marvel titles, with all the different characters popping up. When they did Secret Defenders, Spider-Man was involved in it.

Mathim

I'm all for this shitty Amazing Spider-Man storyline to end before it gets any worse (like that's possible) but after everything Sony has done to fuck the character up on the big screen, I'm less than enthused to see him in the MCU if total control hasn't shifted back to Marvel Studios. I mean, if whatever new rebooted version of him that's due to appear, presumably, in Civil War is the one that will continue to be produced by Sony, unless Marvel Studios is going to be heavily involved in at least the development of the scripts, it won't help Sony stop embarrassing him (and them) in front of his devoted fans. Letting Sony just do what they've always done (and word is, the execs aren't happy about what's being done with him either; of course that makes no sense because they're the ones in fucking charge of what's done with him!) is the worst thing Marvel Studios could have done in their negotiations so let's hope they left room for some creative control over Sony's productions.

But seriously, it would be hard not to find anyone who would be a vast improvement over Andrew Garfield. He reportedly says he took the responsibility of filling those red-and-blue tights very seriously and I can only call bullshit on that. He even said he was interested in playing Spidey in an Avengers movie, the little turd. And now he says he's been interested in quitting for a while? No wonder these movies suck, they can't even get people on the screen to agree with them.

Rumor has it Logan Lerman and one other young actor (I forget, and I can't remember which youtube video has them) are being eyed for the nerd-turned-hero and I'm all for either. They both had the pretty much completely right look for a Peter Parker and they're not half-bad as actors.

Edit: Okay, just read a few official articles and it's almost entirely good news. So not only will Spidey be a major part of the MCU starting with a cameo (or more significant role; we'll have to wait and see, though some are concerned he'll be overshadowing Black Panther somewhat) in Captain America: Civil War, but the next film that Sony releases is going to continue on in that universe and be an official part of Phase 3! This does have the strange effect of shifting around the timelines in the MCU, making Infiniti War Part I occur prior to Black Panther (really not sure at all how that's going to work; maybe they're counting on people riding the high of an Avengers film again making BP a little more successful since a real, not-just-black-but-authentically-African superhero might strike them as a tad risky. Why aren't we more mature than this by now? Oh, and Inhumans isn't going to debut until after Infiniti War II, which does seem to indicate that the studio intends for shit to continue happening even after their biggest conflict. Which is why I still think they're going for this WAY too damn early. Do they really think they couldn't keep this momentum up if they put off Infiniti War until Phase 4 and let the Avengers continue to boost their own skills and strength and add to their roster?

The thing is, Sony still retains creative control over Spidey and all his crap even though there is the certain restriction that it take place within the continuity of the MCU. But seriously, their track record still needs way more improvement than simply being given that confidence boost and a truly effective framework.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Mathim on February 10, 2015, 08:38:59 AM
Letting Sony just do what they've always done (and word is, the execs aren't happy about what's being done with him either; of course that makes no sense because they're the ones in fucking charge of what's done with him!) is the worst thing Marvel Studios could have done in their negotiations so let's hope they left room for some creative control over Sony's productions.

The producers (Sony) own the rights, but their creative direction varies based on the director; Sony does broad-stroke things like decide which Spidey villains to cast from his rogue's gallery or which Spidey comics to use as inspiration, like Goblin killing Gwen Stacy, but the director has a much finer control on how the characters actually appear on screen. So if this is them throwing Marc Webb (the director) under the bus, it 'makes sense' in the context of not being a self-contradictory statement. It still makes no sense by normal-people logic - if they didn't like Webb's style, why bring him back for ASM2? - but remember what I said upthread about Hollywood executive-logic and how it runs perpendicular to stuff like common sense.

But seriously, it would be hard not to find anyone who would be a vast improvement over Andrew Garfield. He reportedly says he took the responsibility of filling those red-and-blue tights very seriously and I can only call bullshit on that. He even said he was interested in playing Spidey in an Avengers movie, the little turd. And now he says he's been interested in quitting for a while? No wonder these movies suck, they can't even get people on the screen to agree with them.

I see a lot of people who say Garfield was good at the role, but that's always in the context of relating him to Toby Macguire, so that might not be as big a jump as it sounds - I never even bothered to watch ASM, so I can't compare them, but Macguire was awful. As for him wanting to quit, though...even if he's being serious, and not just trying to save face because he's going to get canned, can you blame him? His quotes of being Avengers Spidey might easily have come before ASM and ASM 2, unless you can source the dates otherwise, and if the movies were as awful as you say, then him wanting to jump ship after seeing how fast it was sinking but being bound to Sony for a contract of X movies isn't unthinkable.

Mathim

The director has to work with the script, so if the script is shit, even a good director can't save the movie. That being said, Marc Webb was not even attempting to make the best of a bad script during either of his two attempts. Garfield was an inarticulate, insincere travesty of a Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Them both being replaced is the greatest thing that could happen to Spidey on the silver screen. Tobey Maguire played Parker as too weepy and the script forced him to be too much of a tragic hero which is not an attractive prospect, but I still despise Garfield's performance while I was merely annoyed by Maguire's (not his fault; I can't say the same for Garfield.) To compare the two accomplishes nothing. I can criticize them both individually without having to compare and contrast.

I just really hope this third-time's-the-charm outing for the webslinger is enough to finally give him the cinematic glory he deserves. One thing I really hope they do in his own movie is, which they can adapt from the comics, have him in a situation where he's in the sewers and the walls around him crumble and a train station collapses over him. He gets trapped under it and can't squeeze through any of the gaps. He has no choice but to lift the entire thing up because he has to hurry and save a friend. After he manages to do it, he thinks to himself, "The Hulk couldn't do it...Thor couldn't do it...but I did it." THAT would be cinematic gold, showing that he could very well draw upon some untapped power that other heroes don't have. He even became Captain Universe at some point. I'd be cool with them having that happen to him during the Infinity Gauntlet struggle.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

I wouldn't go as far as saying they couldn't do it but more along the lines of "I'm not Thor, or Hulk, or even Captain America but that won't stop me!." Something like that. Though I do have to agree that scene should really happen in the movies. It was an iconic moment in the comics that showed Spidey's pure willpower to never give up I think it should happen on the silver screen.

Mathim

No, he was being serious. His limit is normally about 10 tons, not sure exactly what the limit is normally for the Hulk or Thor or other heavy-hitters (F4's the Thing, etc.) but Spidey's estimate was that he managed, for that one moment, to exceed all of them. That's why that moment was so powerful. Not just his motivation to do something about his situation, but then doing something essentially godlike. That's the stuff that makes him Marvel's golden boy.

CaptainNexus616

I wonder if they have any future plans with Howard the Duck or are they just going to leave his cameo in GotG at that. I couldn't really care much either way I'm just curious since his original movie was a flop. I'm just curious if there has been word of including him another movie or popping up in a TV show.

TheGlyphstone

Pretty sure that was just Marvel rubbing it into DC's face, that their movies are so popular they can have Howard The Duck as their stinger character and be applauded.

Mathim

We'll have to wait til Guardians 2 to see if they're planning on bringing Howard back in any capacity. It's certainly a possibility, whether as another cameo, comic relief or maybe even part of the good guy brigade.

SapphireStar

Disney is doing a Guardians of the Galaxy animated series. They cast Will Friedle (Boy Meets World, Terry McGinnis on Batman Beyond) to play the voice of Starlord.

A new picture of Aquaman was released today. Not sure what to think. Especially with all the dark hues of all the costumes. It gives off such a dark atmosphere. Even Superman's costume is "dark". Superman is supposed to be like a shining beacon of hope? Batman is the one who is suppsed to be clad all in darkness.

CaptainNexus616

Its the whole dark and gritty atmosphere they are trying to make with their Cinematic Universe. Hence why the new Supes is snapping Zod's neck. They didn't have to do that scene but they feel that by making things dark its more realistic which in turns equal better movie.

So yeah by making the characters costumes dark they are setting the atmosphere for the story.

SapphireStar

The dark, fluid inky imagery is Zach Synder's style. 300, Sucker Punch. Lots of dark, muted colors. It just seems to me opposite of what the characters are. Its almost like Superman has a bit of an Ultraman vibe. It just doesn't work for me. It feels like the whole cinematic universe they are creating, is bleak, with no hope.

TheGlyphstone

Hollywood Executive Logic(TM). Chris Nolan's Batman has been the best DC property movie success in a very long time. Chris Nolan's Batman is dark and gritty and realistic. Therefore, dark and gritty and realistic=successful. This leads to Dark and Gritty Superman, and now Dark And Gritty Aquaman. And Brown Leather Wonder Woman.

CaptainNexus616

I don't think a lot of people would complain seeing Wonder Woman in leather if you know what I mean

Mathim

It's just one clusterfuck after another with DC, it seems. Let's copy Marvel here, let's copy our one successful franchise there...why do you guys want us to not like you? :'(

There's been some buzz about Peter Parker being portrayed by an African American actor, a la the Human Torch in the dreaded new Fantastic Four. I'm not against Spidey being played that way if the character beneath the mask is Miles Morales (not that I like him at all, but if they want to be more culturally diverse, that's a realistic option) but for Peter Parker to be portrayed as African American, that's just a damn step too far. Yes there need to be more non-Caucasian superheroes, but no the existing ones shouldn't be replaced without significant strides in that direction in the comics first, that is my stance. Like with the original white Nick Fury having a mixed-race son who then becomes a dead ringer for the new him in the Ultimate Comics version, then being portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson in the movies. That works for me because it is actually based on the comics (even if not the originals; some of the old ones I like more, some of the new ones I like more).

Is there just too much political correctness going on or are people really just completely stupid dipshits about this whole issue? The haters who wanted Doctor Strange to be played by an Indian actor among other suggestions, the people who ignore the retorts of 'Well how would you like Black Panther portrayed by a white actor, or an Asian actor?', what is the deal there, are they serious or just nuts?

SapphireStar

Okay, so I happened to be checking out the latest on the DC animated movies to see what they have coming up. They have a follow up to the Son of Batman called Batman vs. Robin. Appears to feature the Court of Owls, with Talon being the primary focus. They also have Barton Mathias/Dollmaker making an appearance voiced by Weird Al Yankovich.

Last I heard, there were at least several actors in the running for Spidey. Logan Lerman, Dylan O'Brien (Stiles from Teen Wolf), were the top two. From what is being stated is they are taking the character back to high school. The actor who played Stephen Hawking might also be a decent pick too.

CaptainNexus616

The guy from Percy Jackson...yeah no thanks. Not certain about Dylan O'Brien...that's a maybe. I try to keep an open mind on all this since Michael Keaton got a lot of crap when he was casted as Batman...but I seriously do not want the kid from Percy Jackson as Spider-Man.

SapphireStar

Dylan O'Brien was also in the Maze Runner movie which came out recently. Logan Lerman isn't bad, but definitely not the first choice to pick. Dylan O'Brien can pull off the awkwardness that Peter displayed before becoming Spider-man, and not a stranger to doing action either. Though its a toss up with who the studios ultimately pick. Most of the time they pick the current hot star or who is popular among the teens.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 22, 2015, 06:33:57 PM
If it's a spider man movie it's going to be terrible no matter who is in it.

Spider-Man 2 was excellent, and Spider-Man itself was decent. Spider-Man 3 was bleh, and I haven't seen either of the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

Or are you saying you just don't like Spider-Man the character?

Mathim

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 22, 2015, 06:52:13 PM
I disagree. But to each their own.

It was the best of a lame lot i'll give you that. But I don't think Willem Dafoe is coming back.

Don't. They're godawful. They weren't even trying.

I like Spider Man a lot. The character isn't the problem.

Got to agree with you there about the fucked-up five (thankfully stopped before it got to 6). But really, now that the constraints are there to help make it albeit a bastardized version of itself within its home company (sort of), it does have the chance to be decent if not outright good. Not going to hold out for excellence but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Even if Sony is at the helm, they've got to be asking for help from Marvel the entire way because this time fans aren't going to be so forgiving. With the bar raised higher now, they can't afford to fuck us over again. And since they haven't succeeded in five movies, they won't be able to get it done without outside help since they sure as hell couldn't get it right on their own.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 23, 2015, 10:04:11 AM
Sean Bean cast as Uncle Ben...*snicker*

LOL. He wouldn't need to skip ahead in his script to find out if he dies for that role. What about John Hurt? He has a pretty high track record of on screen deaths as well.