Seeking players and a GM for an unusual D&D 3.5 game... [Update: GM found!]

Started by Kunoichi, April 24, 2015, 12:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: lockepick on May 18, 2015, 10:29:43 PM
Ah, I thought I had asked about that, but I don't think I understood that only tanar'ri were transformed from other types. Does that basically mean that everybody that isn't taking a Demon base race will be required to go tanar'ri?

I think I'm the only Loumara. Zaer is Obrynth, Glyph is Tanar'ri, Kunoichi is Tanar'ri too, right? Rez is Obrynth.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Kunoichi

By the way, I had some thoughts today about how we might handle character advancement that I'd like to run by everyone and see what they think.

My basic thought was that we'd advance by gaining class levels, which would gain all the features of Outsider hit dice from the Demon Lord template.  So we'd get class features, but also keep d8 HD, full BAB, all good saves, and so on.  However, in contrast to how these levels were handled in character creation, during character advancement we'd advance at a rate of 1 class level = +1 CR.

However, we'd get more than just class features added on as we advanced.  For every 2 CR increases beyond our starting CR, we'd gain an additional special ability, either a special quality or a special attack, demon lord's choice.  Additionally, for every 4 CR increases beyond the start, we'd gain a +2 to all stats and a bonus outsider hit die.  So, for example, by the time we hit CR 28, we'd have 6 additional special abilities, +6 to all stats, and we'd be 31 HD creatures.

Does that seem like it could be a good way to handle advancement, or...?

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on May 18, 2015, 11:05:41 PM
I think I'm the only Loumara. Zaer is Obrynth, Glyph is Tanar'ri, Kunoichi is Tanar'ri too, right? Rez is Obrynth.

Yes, Torahime is a Tanar'ri.  She's a succubus who's been living as a crazy ascetic hermit out in the abyssal wilderness for a few centuries. :P

Lockepick

Any advancement all sounds fun. I think the 1 Class Level/CR is perfectly fair -- the extra little bonuses sound neat! Honestly, I don't think we have much room before Epic becomes a thing anyway, which can offer a lot more changes anyway.

So we're at the point where I can no longer view 'all' pages and do ctrl+f to find topics we talked about... can I get any sort of guide line or suggestion on how to handle my Tanar'ri summoning? The two current Tanar'ri characters have drastically different summons, I'm not sure I totally follow what sort of level to aim for. Maybe a general CR?

Worst case scenario -- I suppose I can just suggest a fitting type of ally and let you determine any advancement or multiples I can summon, though I think I'd rather one or two big bads instead of summoning 1d6+2 of anything. 

Oh, another note: Our Greater Teleport at will -- should that be 'self + 50lbs' only? It's cool if not, of course -- just thought I'd confirm before I start scheming. :)
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 18, 2015, 11:16:25 PM
By the way, I had some thoughts today about how we might handle character advancement that I'd like to run by everyone and see what they think.

My basic thought was that we'd advance by gaining class levels, which would gain all the features of Outsider hit dice from the Demon Lord template.  So we'd get class features, but also keep d8 HD, full BAB, all good saves, and so on.  However, in contrast to how these levels were handled in character creation, during character advancement we'd advance at a rate of 1 class level = +1 CR.

However, we'd get more than just class features added on as we advanced.  For every 2 CR increases beyond our starting CR, we'd gain an additional special ability, either a special quality or a special attack, demon lord's choice.  Additionally, for every 4 CR increases beyond the start, we'd gain a +2 to all stats and a bonus outsider hit die.  So, for example, by the time we hit CR 28, we'd have 6 additional special abilities, +6 to all stats, and we'd be 31 HD creatures.

Does that seem like it could be a good way to handle advancement, or...?

Our special abilities are exceptionally potent already. Not sure getting a new one every 2 levels is a good idea.  The rest seems fine, especially everything being outsider hit dice still. Not that we should never get them, lets just see how much affect they have on the game before committing to a progression for getting more.

Request for Dragon Magazine Inspired Master feat to be allowed - Very straightforward, No requirements. All magic items you use function at one higher caster level.

Atroxica has a class ability that increased the DC for abilities from rods she crafts by 2. I would prefer this to be changed to rods she uses. Most magic item boosting abilities function for the user not the crafter, or else there would be a special market for "Dreadmaster Crafted Rods" since it's a higher DC for everyone.

Can the Wand Mastery Feat and the Wand focus of Cannith Wand adept apply to scepters too? 'Spell Trigger" abilities apply to them by default, but these two abilities actually say wand on them. Scepters are from lost empires of faerun, basically more expensive wands of higher level.

TheGlyphstone

So are any of us actually playing a melee brute/melee warrior of any kind? Not sure if I should spend Spells Known on buffs or not.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2015, 12:43:08 AM
So are any of us actually playing a melee brute/melee warrior of any kind? Not sure if I should spend Spells Known on buffs or not.

Everyone can be a meele warrior once i get them on the operating table Muahahah!

I still have 2 cohorts that need making, sure one will be a warrior type. Not committing to builds yet since I still might get someone to play one of the cum filled bastards.

Kunoichi is our most warrior like character, actually she's pretty straightforward there. Rez may or may not be depending on his host body, Lockpick is definitely doing some meele.

Speaking of spells known I may have t buy another blessed book soon, filled over 900 pages so far.

Edit: Jerion's Rough Draft

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=210354

Kunoichi

Quote from: lockepick on May 19, 2015, 12:11:47 AM
Any advancement all sounds fun. I think the 1 Class Level/CR is perfectly fair -- the extra little bonuses sound neat! Honestly, I don't think we have much room before Epic becomes a thing anyway, which can offer a lot more changes anyway.

So we're at the point where I can no longer view 'all' pages and do ctrl+f to find topics we talked about... can I get any sort of guide line or suggestion on how to handle my Tanar'ri summoning? The two current Tanar'ri characters have drastically different summons, I'm not sure I totally follow what sort of level to aim for. Maybe a general CR?

Worst case scenario -- I suppose I can just suggest a fitting type of ally and let you determine any advancement or multiples I can summon, though I think I'd rather one or two big bads instead of summoning 1d6+2 of anything. 

Oh, another note: Our Greater Teleport at will -- should that be 'self + 50lbs' only? It's cool if not, of course -- just thought I'd confirm before I start scheming. :)

When it comes to Summon Demon abilities, I started out by copying an existing demon lord's summon ability, then beefed it up a bit when I realized that it wasn't stacking up very well with Glyph's Summon Elemental ability.  Looking over other demon lord summoning abilities, you could just give yourself the ability to summon two Lilitus and otherwise not bother with it?  Although, Graz'zt apparently counts Lamias among his followers to the point that his Dragon Magazine write-up could summon up 2d6 of them, so that could also be an option...

And no, our Greater Teleport isn't limited to self-only or anything like that.  Perks of being a Demon Lord. ^^

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on May 19, 2015, 12:35:17 AM
Our special abilities are exceptionally potent already. Not sure getting a new one every 2 levels is a good idea.  The rest seems fine, especially everything being outsider hit dice still. Not that we should never get them, lets just see how much affect they have on the game before committing to a progression for getting more.

True, I suppose we can wait until we've actually gained two levels in-game before seeing if more special abilities are warranted.  It might be that they would also fit better at every +4 CR increase.

Request for Dragon Magazine Inspired Master feat to be allowed - Very straightforward, No requirements. All magic items you use function at one higher caster level.

I don't see any issues there.  Given your later questions, I'm guessing that this is for the sake of making better use of some wands you're intending to buy?

Atroxica has a class ability that increased the DC for abilities from rods she crafts by 2. I would prefer this to be changed to rods she uses. Most magic item boosting abilities function for the user not the crafter, or else there would be a special market for "Dreadmaster Crafted Rods" since it's a higher DC for everyone.

Can the Wand Mastery Feat and the Wand focus of Cannith Wand adept apply to scepters too? 'Spell Trigger" abilities apply to them by default, but these two abilities actually say wand on them. Scepters are from lost empires of faerun, basically more expensive wands of higher level.

Those both sound sensible.  Unless anyone else has any objections, I'm willing to allow them.

Torahime is a shadow-pouncing Iaijutsu Master with a free-action Dimension Door ability, so she could definitely use some buffs.

TheGlyphstone

Good. As long as we have someone who can lay out the hurt without spending daily resources...I'm oriented entirely around battlefield control and debuffing at the moment - I can lock down a lot of enemies at a time, but hurting them costs me spells.

Would you rather Dolorous Blow (double weapon's threat range, auto-confirm crits) or Girallon's Blessing (+2 clawed arms for either extra attacks or 4-handing your sword for 3x Str mod to damage)?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 19, 2015, 12:57:11 AM
I don't see any issues there.  Given your later questions, I'm guessing that this is for the sake of making better use of some wands you're intending to buy?

Pretty much, its for the artificer cohort rather than my main. The rod thing is about Atroxica the wand this is about the two Jerion's.  Get a little extra strength from scrolls, wands, staves. I guess it has a small effect on how easy it is to suppress wondrous items with dispel magic too. It does stack with wand mastery and wand focus so they uses wands at +5 caster level, without it they'd use them at +4 caster level. - I can't think of any items it makes a huge difference with, just a nice boost all around for someone using lots of magic items.

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2015, 01:06:42 AM
Good. As long as we have someone who can lay out the hurt without spending daily resources...I'm oriented entirely around battlefield control and debuffing at the moment - I can lock down a lot of enemies at a time, but hurting them costs me spells.

Would you rather Dolorous Blow (double weapon's threat range, auto-confirm crits) or Girallon's Blessing (+2 clawed arms for either extra attacks or 4-handing your sword for 3x Str mod to damage)?

I can't actually use claws in combat due to wielding a -2 cursed sword, and from what I can tell from reading the spell, Girallon's Blessing won't let me do multiweapon fighting, so I think I'd get more use out of Dolorous Blow.  Also, Rez's character has Girallon's Blessing as one of his at-will spell-likes, so picking Dolorous Blow will help to avoid redundancy. ^^

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on May 19, 2015, 01:18:48 AM
Pretty much, its for the artificer cohort rather than my main. The rod thing is about Atroxica the wand this is about the two Jerion's.  Get a little extra strength from scrolls, wands, staves. I guess it has a small effect on how easy it is to suppress wondrous items with dispel magic too. It does stack with wand mastery and wand focus so they uses wands at +5 caster level, without it they'd use them at +4 caster level. - I can't think of any items it makes a huge difference with, just a nice boost all around for someone using lots of magic items.

Then yes, that definitely sounds fine to me.

TheGlyphstone

Dolorous Blow it is then - it only works on melee weapons, not natural attacks sadly. But I also picked up Mass Snake's Swiftness, so if we get multiple allies/party members in melee, I can throw that instead.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 19, 2015, 01:24:28 AM
I can't actually use claws in combat due to wielding a -2 cursed sword, and from what I can tell from reading the spell, Girallon's Blessing won't let me do multiweapon fighting, so I think I'd get more use out of Dolorous Blow.  Also, Rez's character has Girallon's Blessing as one of his at-will spell-likes, so picking Dolorous Blow will help to avoid redundancy. ^^

Aerophobos is a great demon and all, but if anyone needed multiple arms he isn't the first demon lord I'd think of to give them.

"Hey bro I heard you like teeth so I put a mouth in your mouth so you can bite while you bite"

TheGlyphstone

Third Draft, now with Spells and an extra Feat or two.

Character Sheet, Draft Three

Aerophobos, The Doom In The Darkness
4HD Shadow Creature Sylph Monster of Legend Nightmare Spinner 3/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Shadowcrafter 3/Shadow Adept 1
Size/Type: Small Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Ta'nar'ri)
Hit Dice: 16d8+128-1 (199 hp)
Initiative: +12
Speed: 45 ft. (9 squares), Fly 135 ft.
Armor Class:    36 (+8 Dex, +1 size, +17 natural), touch 19, flat-footed 28
Base Attack/Grapple:    +16/+18
Attack: Runestaff of Cosmic Magic +24 melee (1d6+10/x2)
Full Attack: Runestaff of Cosmic Magic +24/+19/+14/+9 melee (1d6+10/x2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Embodiment of Terror, Frightful Presence, Inspire Fear, Nightmare Phantasm, Spells, Spell-Like Abilities, Spirit Chill, Summon Elemental, Wild Empathy
Special Qualities: Anathema to the Light, Bonus Spells, Cloak of Shadows, DR 20/Cold Iron, Epic, and Good, Enhanced Shadow Magic, Extended Illusion, Evasion, Fast Healing 2, Flesh of Living Shadow, Immunities, Innate Magic, Reflective Skin,  Resist Acid 10, Resist Fire 10, Resist Cold 15, See In Darkness, Shadow Blend, Shadow Illusion, Shadow Feats, Shadow Mien, Spell Resistance 29, Telepathy 300ft., Tenacious Illusions, Unnatural Aura
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +23, Will +21
Abilities: Str 22 (+6), Dex 26 (+8), Con 27 (+8), Int 20 (+5), Wis 22 (+6), Cha 35/41, (+12/+15)
Skills: Bluff +31, Concentration +27, Disguise +33, Hide +29, Intimidate +33, Knowledge: Arcana +24, Knowledge: The Planes +24, Listen +27, Move Silently +27, Sense Motive +27, Spellcraft +24, Spot +27, Use Magic Device +31
Feats: Spell Focus (Illusion), Fel Frighten Spell, Practical Metamagic (Fel Frighten Spell), Rapid Metamagic, Arcane Thesis (Silent Image), Heighten Spell, Residual Metamagic, Shadow Weave Magic, Improved Initiative(B), Multiattack(B), Greater Spell Focus (Illusion) (B), Dark Speech (B), Tenacious Magic (B), Insidious Magic (B), Pernicious Magic (B)
Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Alignment: Chaotic Evil   
Treasure:    
Runestaff of Cosmic Magic @ 100,000GP

This jet-black darkwood staff is lined with dozens of magical runes, from large to indescribably tiny, and carries within it a staggering amount of malleable magical energy. It provides Aerophobos with a continuous +6 enhancement bonus to Charisma, and can be wielded as a +1 Quarterstaff of Warning. In addition, it functions as a runestaff with the following attuned spells, each of which can be cast out of one of Aerophobos's own spell slots as per a normal runestaff 3/day unless otherwise indicated. Each listed spell indicates its printed source, and if found on a non-Sorcerer arcane spell list, the list in question. Aerophobos can automatically succeed on the required Use Magic Device checks to emulate those classes to activate his staff.
9th Time Stop 1/day (PHB) = 16,200   
8th Mind Blank 1/day (PHB) = 6400
7th Death By Thorns (Corrupt, BoVD) = 9800
6th Anticipate Teleportation 1/day (Spell Compendium) = 3600
4th - Restoration (Knight of the Weave, Champions of Valor ) = 3200
4th - Greater Bestow Curse (Demonologist, Book of Vile Darkness) = 3200
4th - Cure Critical Wounds (Bard, PHB) = 3200
3rd - Death Ward (Dread Necromancer, Heroes of Horror) = 1800
3rd - Greater Dispel Magic (Trapsmith, Dungeonscape) = 1800
3rd - Touch of Juiblex (Corrupt, BoVD) = 1800
3rd - Cure Serious Wounds (Bard, PHB) = 1800
2nd - Arcane Eye (Trapsmith, Dungeonscape)= 800
2nd - Resilient Sphere (Trapsmith, Dungeonscape) = 800
2nd- Resist Energy (PHB) = 800
1st - Lesser Restoration (Knight of the Weave, Champions of Valor) = 200
1st - Haste (Trapsmith, Dungeonscape) = 200
1st- Seething Eyebane (Corrupt, BoVD) = 200
1st - Cure Light Wounds (Bard, PHB) = 200

Choker of Bloody Terror=28,500

Combines a Blood Claw Choker (Magic Item Compendium) and an Amulet of Fearsome Might = 11,000

Amulet of Fearsome Might (Dragon Magazine, Issue 332, Page 70). Doubles the radius of the wearer’s innate frightful presence, and increases the DC to save against it by +2. In addition, any spells (or spell-like abilities) with the [Fear] descriptor cast by the wearer have their DC increased by +2. It doesn’t stack (explicitly) with the feats Spell Focus or Greater Spell Focus. This item has a CL of 7, costs 11,100 g.p, weighs 1 lb. and takes up the throat slot.

1x Wand of Magic Missile (CL 1st)
750 GP

Description here

Combat
Combat tactics and abilities here.

Special Attacks

Embodiment of Terror (Unique) (Ex): Aerophobos does not simply live fear, or project fear - he is fear, and forcing others to experience that fear is one of his most potent defenses. Any spells or abilities he possesses with the [Fear] descriptor or otherwise called out as being fear effects have their save DCs increased by 2 (stacking with Spell Focus), and such effects are potent enough to affect even targets otherwise immune to fear, though they still receive any saving throw to resist the effect. Only a target whose Hit Dice exceeds his Caster Level by 4 or more is immune to Embodiment of Terror.

Frightful Presence: When Aerophobos makes a threatening, echoing whisper, it inspires terror in all creatures within 40 feet that have 16 or fewer Hit Dice. Each potentially affected opponent must succeed at a DC38/41 Will save or become shaken—a condition that lasts until the opponent is out of range. A successful save leaves that opponent immune to that monster of legend’s frightful presence for 24 hours.

Inspire Fear (Su): 15 times per day, Aerophobos can create a mind-affecting fear effect that makes a living creature within 30ft. ill at ease. The target becomes shaken for 3 rounds, or 2 rounds if they succeed on a DC31 Will Save. Multiple uses of this ability on the same creature don't stack.

Nightmare Phantasm (Su): Up to 15 times per day when Aerophonos casts a figment or glamer spell, he can choose to weave a thread of nightmare phantasm into it as a free action. The spell gains the phantasm descriptor. Each time any enemy attempts a Will save to disbelieve the affected illusion spell, a tiny portion of the spell transforms into a phantasm effect that targets that enemy. The enemy becomes shaken for 1 round (no save). This ability has no other effect on the original spell's duration or effectiveness. No creature can be affected by this nightmare phantasm ability more than once in a 24-hour period. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Spells: Aerophobos casts spells as a 19th level sorcerer. Save DC is equal to 25+Spell Level, with an additional +6 if the spell has the [Fear] descriptor, +3 to all Illusion spells, and +1 to all Enchantment or Necromancy spells. Illusions, Enchantments, and Necromancy spells receive a +1 bonus on checks vs. spell resistance. Evocations and Transmutations suffer a -1 penalty to caster level for all purposes.

Spells Known:
9th (6/day)- Wish, Shapechange
8th (8/day) - Greater Arcane Fusion (CM), Greater Celerity (PHB2), Veil of Undeath (SpC)
7th (9/day) - Arcane Spellsurge (DrM), Limited Wish, Avasculate (SpC)
6th (9/day) - Imperious Glare, Fiendish Quickening (BoVD), Aura of Terror (SpC)
5th (9/day) - Arcane Fusion (CM), Spiritwall (SpC), Persistent Image, Greymantle (SpC)
4th (9/day) - Assay Spell Resistance (SpC), Wings of Flurry (RotD), Greater Mirror Image (PHB2), Dimensional Anchor
3rd (10/day) - Heart of Water (CM), Mass Snake's Swiftness (SpC), Spell Vulnerability (SpC), Dolorous Blow (SpC)
2nd (10/day) - Wings of Cover (RotD), Create Magic Tattoo (SpC), Resist Energy, Shadow Mask (SpC), Ray of Stupidity (SpC)
1st (10/day) - Nerveskitter, Magic Missile, Silent Image, True Casting (CM), Ebon Eyes (SpC)

Spell-Like Abilities (CL16th):
At-Will - astral projection, blasphemy, blacklight, desecrate, detect good, detect law, fear, greater dispel magic, greater invisibility (self only), greater teleport, plane shift, polymorph (self only), telekinesis, unhallow, unholy aura, unholy blight
3/day - armor of darkness, spiritwall, symbol of fear
1/day - permanent image, simulacrum

Spirit Chill (Su): Creatures affected by one of Aerophobos's fear effects take nonlethal damage as well, depending on the potency of the fear created. Any creature that is shaken takes ld6 points of nonlethal damage. A creature that becomes frightened takes 2d6 points of nonlethal damage, while a creature that becomes panicked takes 3d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Summon Elemental (Sp): Once per day, Aerophobos can summon an advanced (32HD) elder air, earth, fire, or water elemental with the Demonically Fused Elemental template applied to it. This is the equivalent of a 9th level spell.

Wild Empathy: Aerophobos can attempt to improve the attitude of an animal, as if making a diplomacy check. This requires the same amount of time as needed to use Diplomacy on a humanoid, but Aerophobos rolls 1d20+26 to determine the check result, including the penalty from his Unnatural Aura. He may attempt to use this ability on a Magical Beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 at a -2 penalty.

Special Qualities

Anathema to the Light )Unique) (Ex): Just as Aerophobos is burned by the touch of light, his magic is similarly infused with shadow and suffers when exposed to light. All of his spells and spell-like abilities are considered to have the [Darkness] descriptor for the purpose of being countered or dispelled by a [Light] spell of equal or higher level. This is an exception to the usual rule that spell-like abilities cannot be countered as they are cast.

When exposed directly to natural sunlight or cast in natural sunlight, not merely a Daylight spell, all of Aerophobos's spells suffer a -4 penalty to their caster level, and all opponents receive a +4 circumstance bonus on saving throws versus those spells.

Bonus Spells (Ex): Aerophobos gains one extra spell slot of each level, that can only be used to cast an Illusion spell.

Cloak of Shadow (Su): As a free action, Aerophobos can wrap his body in shifting shadows, granting him a 40% miss chance against all attacks directed at him until he dismisses the effect. Any creature capable of seeing through magical darkness can ignore this miss chance, as can any creature under the effects of True Seeing. While this effect is active, Aerophobos can make Hide checks as if he had concealment. Cloak of shadow doesn’t function in daylight, and it is the equivalent of a 3rd-level [darkness] effect for the purpose of interacting with light spells.

Enhanced Shadow Magic (Su): The strength of the effects created byAerophobos's shadow conjuration, shadow evocation, greater shadow conjuration, greater shadow evocation, and shades spells increases by 30%. That is, these spells are an additional 30% likely to affect disbelieving creatures and deal 30% more damage.This bonus also applies to figment spells transformed into shadow spells via the shadow illusion power (see above).This ability combines the effects of Enhanced Shadow Conjuration, Enhanced Shadow Evocation, and Powerful Shadow Magic into one ability for ease of reading, and is already included in Shadow Illusion below.

Evasion (Ex): Whenever Aerophobos makes a successful Reflex save against an attack that deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. This ability can only be used when he is wearing light or no armor, and when he is not helpless.

Extended Illusion (Ex): The duration of any illusion spell or spell-like ability Aerophobos uses is doubled, as if affected by Extend Spell. This does not change the casting time or spell level, and stacks with the actual Extend Spell feat if it is applied.

Flesh of Living Shadow (Ex): Aerophobos has taken the essence of shadow and darkness into his bodily form, partially transmuting him into a being of living shadow. He retains his corporeal form, but is extremely sensitive to certain forms of light. Any weapon with the Brilliant Energy quality automatically bypasses his Damage Reduction, in addition to its normal effects. Additionally, any weapon capable of giving off light as a torch (approximately 30% of magic weapons, by default) functions as a Bane weapon versus Aerophobos, gaining an additional +2 enhancement and +2d6 bonus damage. This does not stack with the Bane (Outsiders) enhancement, but does apply to Brilliant Energy weapons in addition to the effects above.

Immunities (Ex): Aerophobos is immune to electricity damage, fear effects, and poison.

Innate Magic (Unique) (Ex): Aerophobos's sorcerous abilities have become a part of his very being, to a truly fundamental level. He casts his sorcerer spells as if they were spell-like abilities, requiring no verbal, somatic, or other components. Extremely powerful spells may have certain limitations on what components can be ignored.

Reflective Skin (Su): Aerophobos is permanently protected by a constant Spell Turning effect.

See In Darkness (Su): Aerophobos can see perfectly in any kind of normal or magical darkness.

Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.

Shadow Illusion (Su): Aerophobos is able to infuse some of his figments (see the list
below) with material from the Plane of Shadow, making them partially real. The subschool of these spells changes from figment to shadow. Aerophobos can use the altered spell to mimic any sorcerer or wizard conjuration (summoning), conjuration (creation), or evocation spell at least one level lower than the illusion spell. The altered spell functions identically to the shadow conjuration or shadow evocation spell, except that the spell’s strength equals 10% per level of the figment spell used, plus an additional 30%. For example, if Aerophobos uses silent image to create an acid splash, it would deal 40% of the normal damage to a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve the shadow. If he used programmed image to mimic summon monster V, the creature would have 80% of the hit points of a normal creature of its kind, and its damage would be 80% normal against a creature that succeeds on its Will save to disbelieve. A shadowcraft mage can apply shadow illusion to any of the following figment spells: silent image, minor image, major image, persistent image, and programmed image.

Shadow Feats: Aerophobos receives the Insidious Magic, Pernicious Magic, and Tenacious Magic feats as bonus feats. Collectively, these increase the DC to dispel any spell he casts to 15+caster level, gives him a +4 bonus to defeat spell resistance, and forces enemies attempting to detect the auras or effects of his spells via a divination spell, spell-like ability, or magic item to succeed on a caster level check with a DC of 11+his caster level (see Tenacious Illusions, below). This check may be made only once for each divination spell or ability used, regardless of the number of spell effects are operating in the area. These effects do not apply to spells of the Evocation or Transmutation schools, or against other creatures with the Shadow Weave  Magic feat.

Shadow Mein (Su): Aerophobos gains a +2 bonus to Disguise and Hide checks (included above).

Tenacious Illusions: The deep-rooted connections Aerophobos has with darkness and the magic of shadows infuses all of his illusions, infusing them with a sort of semi-reality that resists hostile divination effects. This modifies the effects of his Tenacious Magic feat, increasing the DC to 13+his caster level when the spell or ability in question is an illusion, and even effects that would automatically bypass illusions (such as See Invisibility or True Seeing) must check to overcome the effect. If they fail, they are subject to the spell as normal, including any regular saves to disbelieve or resist. This ability can affect other creatures with the Shadow Weave Magic feat.

Unnatural Aura: Aerophobos possesses an aura of unnatural power that disturbs and unnerves natural creatures. This gives him a -2 penalty on skill checks or Wild Empathy checks against creatures of the animal and vermin type, but also gives him a +2 bonus to Intimidate checks and increases the save DCs of any fear effects he creates by 2. These bonuses and penalties have been included in abilities listed above.

Re Z L

And the background is updated, as well as a couple other things (feats and one piece of equipment).

...now to try and go back to sleep   -_-
A&A

Mantis Shrimp Prime

My general feeling is any official WOTC source is cool, so actual books, web supplements from the archive, or dragon/dungeon, unless it's like, an alternate rule or something.

Usually I limit based on what people have access to but you all seem pretty savvy so there's not a disparity.

Kunoichi

...Huh.  So, I was reading through the Demonomicon of Iggwilv entry for Graz'zt in Dragon Magazine #360 just now, and I came across what is probably the perfect type of demon for Torahime to summon.  It's a type of Loumara known as the Caligrosto, and it is known for possessing blades and pulling all sorts of crazy tricks with them.  Comparing the various Summon abilities out there, I think Torahime herself could be able to summon 1d4 advanced 20 HD Caligrostos (which are CR 12 creatures) once per day with her Summon Demon ability, and then Torahime's aspect could have a 50% chance to summon 1d4 ordinary, CR 6 Caligrostos.

I suppose I'll probably have to actually write them up at some point when I have the time, so that I can get permission to use them.  They really are the perfect summonable minion for Torahime, though...

Quote from: Mantis Shrimp Prime on May 19, 2015, 02:15:31 AM
My general feeling is any official WOTC source is cool, so actual books, web supplements from the archive, or dragon/dungeon, unless it's like, an alternate rule or something.

Usually I limit based on what people have access to but you all seem pretty savvy so there's not a disparity.

Dragon Magazine material isn't always particularly well-thought-out or well-tested, though.  Hence why I'd recommend at least giving a brief inspection for anything from that publication before allowing it in the game.  Most of it is fine, but enough of it isn't that it's at least worth taking the time to check it over, in my opinion. ^^;

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Well, if somethings is particularly dumbass it will be dealt with case by case. 

Even official WOTC books have their share of poorly thought out material.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 18, 2015, 07:30:51 PM
The Obyrith subtype grants your aspects immunity to poison and mind-affecting effects, but not to acid or electricity.  That said, you do get resistance 10 to acid, cold, electricity and fire from the subtype, as well.

The only other change I would recommend is putting an 8 HD limit on the Messenger aspect's Change Shape ability, but other than that your character looks good. ^^

*fixes*

Although Change Shape is not polymorph effect and it's actually ability which was intended replace any polymorph powers what monsters had before (idea is to get physical form of specific beings than polymorph into other forms and use said forms special attacks and abilities). But placed the limit to be 8 HD none the less for the aspects. Also added masterwork leather armor for my aspects so their AC is in the range what was indicated.

Anycase I feel I am done here unless there is other issues.

Mantis Shrimp Prime

One additional note to make (and I'll repost any of this relevant play information in the OOC when I make it).

There will be times when you enter battles with people clearly not on your level. Either because they're fools that step to you, or you might pick on someone much weaker than you. In cases like this, there will be no initiate or other rolls to help streamline stuff that isn't anything to do with the story.

Lockepick

I'll be a melee sort, and hoping to be able to soak up a good chunk of damage. I'm happy for any buffs you want to offer! I wouldn't expect/demand you to do so, of course. Dolorous Blow would work for me, all my attacks are Bludgeoning -- but honestly, I've got nothing fancy on my 20/x2 crit -- so not sure how useful it'll be. Girallon's Blessing would give me even more natural attacks which all trigger Energy Drain... but again, no pressure.

Quote from: Mantis Shrimp Prime on May 19, 2015, 05:17:59 AM
There will be times when you enter battles with people clearly not on your level. Either because they're fools that step to you, or you might pick on someone much weaker than you. In cases like this, there will be no initiate or other rolls to help streamline stuff that isn't anything to do with the story.

This is perfectly fine/welcome! I would just ask you be as transparent as possible. I've had GMs use this rule but there was a lot of dancing around where players weren't sure if the target was 'valid' for being a plot piece.

In Regards to Summons: I'll look at some different demons and see if anything calls out as being relevant. I did find one big bad Demon that I thought made a good fit, but was worried it was too strong, though I think without any advancement, he might be lower than the other Summons being discussed.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: lockepick on May 19, 2015, 10:53:42 AM
I'll be a melee sort, and hoping to be able to soak up a good chunk of damage. I'm happy for any buffs you want to offer! I wouldn't expect/demand you to do so, of course. Dolorous Blow would work for me, all my attacks are Bludgeoning -- but honestly, I've got nothing fancy on my 20/x2 crit -- so not sure how useful it'll be. Girallon's Blessing would give me even more natural attacks which all trigger Energy Drain... but again, no pressure.

You fight with natural weapons, though, and Dolorous Blow is only applicable to manufactured weapons.

If I can find a good buff that can be applied to any kind of weapon in a 3rd level slot, I'd take that instead. It's not really my niche to begin with, though - I think my usual Round 1 combat tactic is going to be throwing out an Imperious Glare, giving all the enemies (up to 19 of them in a 30ft. area) a DC38 Will save or be reduced to Cowering helplessly for 19 rounds. If you guys can't murder someone in 19 rounds of them not fighting back in any ways, buffs aren't going to help much. ;D

Lockepick

My Unarmed Strike counts as Manufactured or Natural -- which is six of my eight attacks. :)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: lockepick on May 19, 2015, 11:27:37 AM
My Unarmed Strike counts as Manufactured or Natural -- which is six of my eight attacks. :)

That does make a difference, then.

Curious - will said fights occasionally be unbalanced in the opposite direction? I.e., will we occasionally enter fights with people clearly far above our level, where we have to talk or sneak our way out of it because direct combat will see us squashed like bugs?

Lockepick

Well, I say that, but again... turning my 20/x2 into 19-20/x2 may not be worth a slot anyway. No pressure either way!

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Quote from: lockepick on May 19, 2015, 10:53:42 AM
This is perfectly fine/welcome! I would just ask you be as transparent as possible. I've had GMs use this rule but there was a lot of dancing around where players weren't sure if the target was 'valid' for being a plot piece.

It'll usually be pretty clear. At least if a conflict starts, I'll either ask for an initiative roll, or give a note that this opponent is far beneath you.
These encounters will typically involve unnamed characters (full NPCs will at least be giving a fighting chance to make a saving throw or something).
Same thing will be streamlining an huge war-battles we have.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 19, 2015, 11:28:26 AM
Curious - will said fights occasionally be unbalanced in the opposite direction? I.e., will we occasionally enter fights with people clearly far above our level, where we have to talk or sneak our way out of it because direct combat will see us squashed like bugs?

Possibly, though you'd have to invite them first. You'll generally get a chance to resolve peacefully with an opponent who is likely stronger than you (like a more powerful demon lord). And you'll always be entitled to your rolls and they'll always be subject to losing if you get lucky.