Any have this reaction to the second Star Wars trailer?

Started by HannibalBarca, August 07, 2015, 08:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannibalBarca

I've been into the Fine Brothers on Youtube for a while now, and hearing that Youtube will be releasing their own actual series, with one of them being by the Fine Brothers.  To wit, the Fine brothers do, among other things, react videos, particularly react videos by three separate age groups (kids, teens, elders) as well as celebrity groups.  React videos, for those who do not know, are where people record themselves...well...reacting to something, usually a video.  it isn't surprising that these are popular, as it serves to satisfy an emotional and social component within us, especially those of us who probably get less social interaction now that we have become such a tech-based culture.

I can understand the connection here.  You watch something and have a good response to it, and seeing someone else react positively to it online gives a good positive emotional boost to you = we all get happier and healthier emotionally.

However, it was certain responses to a particular video that really got me thinking.  That video happened to be the second Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.  The number of very emotional responses to this had me delving into what I know about psychology, as well as my own emotions.  If you haven't seen it (or if you have), check it out as part of an experiment:

And now, watch these two ( of many more) responses to it:

My own response to the trailer was one of amazement and wonder, but I won't lie to you--watching other people tear up got me doing the same thing.  Empathy is an incredible emotion.

I'm 46.  I was in third grade when the original Star Wars was released, and my family went to see it in a drive-in theater, where it was a triple feature--not two other movies after it, but Star Wars three plays in a row.  We stayed and watched it all three times.  For an eight year old, it was a powerful experience.  It was only more powerful three years later, when The Empire Strikes Back came out.

I can completely understand the reactions people have had, especially those who were at or near similar ages as I was when they saw it--old enough to understand the plot, but young enough to still be deeply affected by the wonder and gravitas of it all.  The original films had in spades what the prequels lacked: emotional investment.  The plot being what it was in the prequels, it was near impossible to connect with the characters.

This is what, to me, makes J. J. Abrams look like such a genius with this trailer.  For god's sake, this is just a trailer...but possibly the most effective trailer I've ever witnessed.  From the beginning, he knew he had to get the most important aspect of the fanbase emotionally invested: the original fans.  At their age, they have the economic power to make this film a smash hit.  They have children to bring to see it.  So he starts with Luke's theme music behind a backdrop of nostalgia...a desert planet much like in the original, drawing you back to the original story, and the original emotions.  A wrecked star destroyer, a symbol of the Empire's power and strength brought low, and a nod to the passage of time.  Then Luke narrates, couching it all in terms of family--closeness, emotional connection.  Father, sister...and then he says it. 

You have that power, too.

No mistake, that.  Of course, Luke means a new character, a relative perhaps.  But Abrams likely knew the subconscious effect that line would have...you're one of us, viewer.  A part of the family.  You have that seed within you, that seed of greatness.  Feel that power again.

Swell the music.  Build jaw-dropping quick scene after quick scene.  Show emotion in the new characters.  Show camaraderie between them.  Then hammer the final nail down with a beloved original character speaking the words every fan felt at that moment:  We're home.

Brilliance.  Everything missing in the prequels was here, and in spades.  Regardless of Abrams' work on other series like Star Wars or Mission: Impossible, he is a fan of Star Wars and apparently has given it special love and attention.  If this is what he managed to do with the trailer, I can't wait to see the film.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

consortium11

Quote from: HannibalBarca on August 07, 2015, 08:02:29 PMBrilliance.  Everything missing in the prequels was here, and in spades.  Regardless of Abrams' work on other series like Star Wars or Mission: Impossible, he is a fan of Star Wars and apparently has given it special love and attention.  If this is what he managed to do with the trailer, I can't wait to see the film.

Word of warning.

Phantom Menace came out before companies started to really put trailers online, well before the rise of Youtube and I doubt anyone ever considered putting reaction videos online so there's no easy clip to link to... but this article gives a good summery of the reaction to its trailer (which is below for reference):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o

Some select quotes:

QuoteAt an afternoon screening of "Meet Joe Black" yesterday at the Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park, fans -- mostly male -- sat in anticipation, reading comic books and scholarly texts about cinema. But at least a dozen people left before the film started. It wasn't the thought of three hours of Brad Pitt as Death that scared them away: They had come just for the trailer.

"Unbelievable," said a visibly elated Rob McNeese, 24, an Arlington college student. "I consider myself a harsh critic, but after the trailer I was applauding."

"It's going to be incredible," said Jim Herr, 31, after quietly escaping from "Meet Joe Black." Herr, who predicts the film will knock "Titanic" off its No. 1 worldwide box office perch, heard about the advance screening at a funeral.

QuoteFrom the moment the "Lucasfilm Ltd." logo appeared, the crowd was cheering. From the serene, opening shots of (presumably) Naboo, Tatooine, and Coruscant to the action shots from all over, we were glued. As this is one of probably 8 thousand reviews to be posted in the last 24 hours, I'll stick to the highlights:
- A lot of Japanese influence with Coruscant and the young Queen's (Natalie Portman) costume and make-up.
- Darth Maul is one incredible looking villian. Dressed all in black, his head is coverend in a demonic red and and black pattern and he fights with a short staff with a light saber at either end.
- There's a shot of R2D2 and C3PO together where C3PO has no outer shell.
- Jar Jar Binks, the all CGI sidekick looks pretty cool.
- The folks at Kenner will be busy as we see a whole bunch of future action figures and ships.
- Yoda's still a muppet, but a younger, more cherubic one. (Isn't he only around 40 years younger than in "Empire" here? He's supposed to live for centuries so should he look that different?)
- Thankfully, we don't see much of the actual plot.
So, does it appear to live up to our expectations? Yup. As "Jedi" was an indication Lucas was burned out on the whole thing, he seems to have spent a great deal of time considering why "Star Wars" worked as well as it did. I think he figured it out. "Episode I" feels like "A New Hope", only on a grander scale. While there are some comic relief CGI characters on display, it doesn't appear anything like "Jedi: the Muppet Movie", and while "Empire Strikes Back" is a fine film with more character depth, you can't get lost in it like the first one. That's what I see the man in the back of the theater going for, right here. I can't wait to see it. I hope he went home to the ranch a happy man, tonight. His job is done.

Chances are if when the Episode 1 trailer had been released Youtube and reaction videos were around there'd be a whole bunch of videos with people crying with joy, talking about how amazing the trailer was and how Episode 1 is going to be the greatest film ever.

We all know how that turned out...

As has been noted many times a great trailer does not mean there will be a great film. As they fit into a somewhat similar slice of popular culture I'd note that the trailers for Superman Returns, Man of Steel and Prometheus were all pretty damn good... the films far less so. Terminator: Salvation may have stuck a big spoiler into its trailer but I still thought it was awesome... again the film underwhelmed.

Niferbelle

Nobody, and I mean nobody, hated the episodes 1-3 more than me. In fact, if I'm perfectly honest, the beginning of the end of Star Wars for me was Return of the Jedi which I liked very little of. Through all of the retconning and rereleases I got completely soured on George Lucas and the prequels just made it worse, destroying much of what I loved about the first two films. I haven't even watched Star Wars and Empire in years and years because I can't find a cut of the originals pre-tampering and I don't want the memories ruined. I bore you with all the details to emphasis my disillusionist with the franchise. The thing is, when I watched that first trailer of the new film, when I saw Harrison Ford in Han Solo garb coming off the Falcon next to Chewie, I felt just like the kid who saw those movies for the first time. It's bewildering to me but it's like that little place inside that was affected so deeply by the first two movies is still in there in spite of everything. I'm not holding out hope the film is going to be good -- but I do agree the way some of us respond to that trailer is a phenomenon.

CaptainNexus616

The Prequel trilogy left a bad taste in the mouths of many fans who grew up with the original trilogy or even simply watched it first. Then Disney buys the franchise and immediately announces a new Star Wars film which lets face it is a cash grab on the reputation of this franchise.

When it was first announced a vast majority hated the crap out of the prospect. Then that trailer comes up.

I have heard nothing but praise and excitement since then and quite frankly I can't blame then it feels like it has the vibe of the original trilogy which will pull more of the fans back and bring in the newer generations of Star Wars fans whom have grown up on stuff like the prequels and Clone Wars.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

HannibalBarca

I was excited for the prequels when they were announced.  I'd seen the trailers to the original Star Wars when I was eight, and despite having no idea what it was about, I thought it looked cool.  The movie was nothing like the trailer.  I think that is part of what caught everyone by surprise with Episode IV...it was completely out of the blue.  Nothing like THX 1138, or 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Close Encounters, which came out the same year as Episode IV.

The trailer for Phantom Menace was similar to Episode IV...but I was in my 30s by then.  It was flat.  It didn't inspire the emotions.  I assumed it was like the trailer for Episode IV, but wow was I wrong.

These two trailers for Episode VII...they're different.  They engage you.  There's more emotional reaction in the second trailer for Episode VII than the full films of I, II, and III put together.  That's encouraging.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu