News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Keeping track of threads

Started by Orange Marmalade, September 27, 2013, 12:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange Marmalade

Hi folks! I'm new here and really starting to immerse myself into things.

The problem I'm running into... how do you keep track of threads/games you're in? There's so many different forums, and some group games have 2, 3, 4 even 10 different threads. What's the best way you've found to manage it all?

I've started using bookmarks, but it seems to put them into date or some random order rather than by name or the order I bookmarked them, so even that gets messy.

Any suggestions? Thanks, and this place rocks so far!

Cecilia

Bookmarks work by putting last posted in at the top with threads not being posted in dropping to the bottom.  I find it handy to know which thread is FIFO so to speak, but other than that you can't really change their order.  I use the 'show new replies' button for all but my story threads, leaving the bookmarks for stories only. I tend to the "new replies" in social threads when I read them.  Otherwise, no, there isn't another easy way to manage threads.  You could bookmark them using your browser, I suppose, but that gets cumbersome too. 

Beguile's Mistress

When I need to keep track of a number of threads that way I use my browser bookmarks.  I use Firefox with a folder on the Bookmark bar for E.  You can drag and drop the tab into the folder and the thread name appears.  For group games with multiple threads you can create a folder for them and by putting everything in alphabetical order you can find them easily.

"Show new replies to your posts" at the top right of the page is a great way to find what has been newly posted in if you've already posted in that thread.

RedPhoenix

I do it the same way Cecilia does. But another way could be to have a list of the stories you want to keep track of with links in your o/o or a/a page just to keep it handy there.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Orange Marmalade

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions so far! Now that I know how the bookmarks work, I may give that a shot. That way if a game has 15 threads I can still add them all and they'll just fall to the bottom if they aren't posted in.

Geraint

I'm a bit of an outlier here, it looks like.  I do use bookmarks, but I also keep track of a lot of information threads with them.  So what I rely upon to keep track of posts owed is e-mail notifications.  Of course, if you are involved in busy group threads, you would need to choose the notification option that sends an e-mail for each post, which might be more cumbersome.  For me, I have an e-mail account I only use for post notifications, I only do one on ones, and I delete all the notifications  as I read them for everything other than roleplay posts owed. 

One other advantage to this is you can usually read the posts in your e-mail, if you are not on site.