Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florence

If I'm not mistaken too the moon has music by the awesome Laura Shigihara :>

If you don't know her by name, she also did the themesong to Plants vs Zombies and has done a bunch of random songs she's uploaded onto youtube.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inkidu

Quote from: makizushi on September 24, 2013, 07:02:57 PM
GTA V.

Hands down, best game I have ever played.
My only problem with GTA V is that it's freaking hard to earn money. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Galanthor

I finally gave Kingdoms of Amalur a shot and...it is just so much of amazing fun to swing your greatsword, build your specialized equipment and see a secret room appear were there was just a wall before...i'm a little sorry it took me so long.

Aiden

Quote from: Inkidu on September 25, 2013, 03:13:49 PM
My only problem with GTA V is that it's freaking hard to earn money. :P

Do missions, invest before a Lester assassination mission. earn more money.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Galanthor on September 25, 2013, 03:48:01 PM
I finally gave Kingdoms of Amalur a shot and...it is just so much of amazing fun to swing your greatsword, build your specialized equipment and see a secret room appear were there was just a wall before...i'm a little sorry it took me so long.

Enjoy the game as it will not have a sequel.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: Aiden on September 25, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
Do missions, invest before a Lester assassination mission. earn more money.
Yeah, but mission payout is at an all-time low for the game, and unless you can remember what stocks Lester tells you about then it's only a good payout for Franklin.

The difference between property and weekly income is also pretty fast, even with the boosting missions/items.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheAegis

If no one has played it yet, I feel obliged to recommend Kerbal as one of most addicting games on steam. It really feels like an achievement once you finally succeed in getting your first orbit or mun landing.

Skyguy

Kerbal Space Program is great.

I'm playing XCom: Enemy Unknown right now. Awesome game, they managed to make a sequel to the original that did not piss all over it. Wonderful game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Skyguy on October 02, 2013, 04:23:10 PM
Kerbal Space Program is great.

I'm playing XCom: Enemy Unknown right now. Awesome game, they managed to make a sequel to the original that did not piss all over it. Wonderful game.
It helps that the lead designer is one of the largest fans I've ever seen. He really cares.

I honestly hope they do a sequel.

(Though be forewarned, he made a comment that it wouldn't be Terror from the Deep. If anything it would be Apocalypse. Though I have to say as a concept I like Apocalypse better than XCOM: UNDERWATER!)

Shjade

Been trying out Warframe the last couple of days. It has some hiccups in the...managerial section of the game, let's say (the way grind is set up, etc.), but gameplay wise it's pretty neat, particularly for a free game.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Gob Bee

I'm about to go through the Arkham games again, right before my collector's edition of Origins gets here. I've also been playing Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King. That's a really good one, but I really want to try some of the older games in the series. I'll have to look at emus for those, I guess.

Revelation

As of right now, i've been playing Etrian Odyssey 4 on the 3DS, good game. Its a turn based dungeon crawler that involves exploring dungeons and making your own map of the area since everything is first person. ABout to clear the first stratum/dungeon now, and start the second.

I've also been replaying Metal Gear Rising on the PS3, I think this might be one of my favorite game from the year.

ToriJ

Dark Souls as part of a request for my Video Game Reviews I write weekly. Good game, hard as hell but very rewarding. The battle system can be fun if you're patient and it's strangely addicting despite making you want to smash the disc with a hammer after the 34804805th time you died.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: ToriJ on October 04, 2013, 06:33:07 AM
Dark Souls as part of a request for my Video Game Reviews I write weekly. Good game, hard as hell but very rewarding. The battle system can be fun if you're patient and it's strangely addicting despite making you want to smash the disc with a hammer after the 34804805th time you died.

Memorize the maps, attack patters and placements of enemies.  Game isn't that difficult, just buggy.  More often you'll die due to something in the game being dumb.

SinXAzgard21

Tales of Xillia.  Fourteen hours in and the game is surprisingly easier than the older games of the Tales series.   

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 04, 2013, 08:26:29 PM
Memorize the maps, attack patters and placements of enemies.  Game isn't that difficult, just buggy.  More often you'll die due to something in the game being dumb.
Exactly! Finally, someone who will admit that the game is buggy and requires rote memorization to beat.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on October 04, 2013, 08:40:31 PM
Exactly! Finally, someone who will admit that the game is buggy and requires rote memorization to beat.

Sounds like a pretty accurate description of the games that originally defined the phrase "Nintendo hard."
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on October 04, 2013, 08:40:31 PM

I posted that knowing you'd come along.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on October 05, 2013, 01:15:41 AM
Sounds like a pretty accurate description of the games that originally defined the phrase "Nintendo hard."

Nintendo hard mean aggravating as hell.  These were the games that sent you back to the beginning of the game, no saves, no continues, if you lost all your lives.   Most of the time, in the Nintendo hard era, the player was the cause of starting over.

Chris Brady

At least Dark Souls lays out it's rules and sticks by them.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 05, 2013, 03:22:33 AM
At least Dark Souls lays out it's rules and sticks by them.

As a player who very much enjoys Dark Souls, I don't really agree with that statement, mostly with regard to how NPCs handle poise and poise breaking.

Black knights can take a couple slaps from a heavy blade and only be staggered by maybe every other swing, rather than every swing. You put on black knight armor? You get stunlocked by a two-handed claymore easily. And they can run faster than you on top of that? This is without even getting into the realm of bugs messing up consistency (I'm looking at you, irretrievable Iron Golem slam-off-the-cliff death souls).

And even in pvp it hardly "lays out its rules." The game will never explain the concept of "dead angle" attacks, for instance, or the mechanics of negating backstab damage by dealing damage to your attacker just before they can backstab you, or a number of other tactical exploits you pretty much only learn by reading community chatter about them.

I'd call it more of a rules scavenger hunt where you figure things out the hard way, think you have something figured out, find out you didn't really know as much as you thought you did, repeat that cycle until you really have things more or less pinned down.

@SinXAzgard: indeed, which appears to be the general consensus regarding Dark Souls from what I can tell. I don't personally find it nearly that aggravating, but I've seen some gameplay videos of people who do. And, most of the time, if you're starting an area over, it's your fault. Bugs pop up and do weird things to kill you once in a while, but they're the exception, not the rule. (Exception: pvp, where exploiting bugginess in the game seems to be the norm.)
◕/◕'s

Aiden

Quote from: Inkidu on September 25, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
Yeah, but mission payout is at an all-time low for the game, and unless you can remember what stocks Lester tells you about then it's only a good payout for Franklin.

The difference between property and weekly income is also pretty fast, even with the boosting missions/items.

I ended up replaying the story mode after beating it once to save the money and invest it later. Did I have too? No, but I want to eventually get 100%

Replaying for the assassination missions is worth it, when it comes to money generation. I had a blast replaying the game to get different point of views.

Like going towards a mission with Lester and Michael, on the second playthrough I went on it with Trevor and Franklin. 

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on October 05, 2013, 01:39:39 AM
I posted that knowing you'd come along.
Ah, well played then, sir, well played. =__=

Shjade: Or you just go to the internet like everyone else, whatever comes first.

Seriously, who knew you had to talk to one guy three times to unlock white magic. I never actually played as any magic user because that was a whole other set of fucking rules to figure out.

Dark Souls is the closest thing I've seen to what is commonly referred to in literary circles as mental masturbation. You're not supposed to "enjoy" Dark Souls, you're supposed to play it because you're someone who just "gets it".

Oh, God, Dark Souls is the Prufrock of the video game world. *shudders*

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on October 05, 2013, 06:42:46 AM
Shjade: Or you just go to the internet like everyone else, whatever comes first.

Seriously, who knew you had to talk to one guy three times to unlock white magic. I never actually played as any magic user because that was a whole other set of fucking rules to figure out.

What did you think I meant by "community chatter?"

And, uh...you don't...? You have to talk to that guy three times if you want to buy miracles from him immediately, but he's not the only source of miracles in the game. In fact, he only sells pretty much the weakest miracles in the game. I don't think I've ever bought a spell from him, except maybe Homeward if he sells that.

For those who find Dark Souls a little too easy, good news! There's a fix for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am35x29QKkQ&feature=player_embedded#t=302
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on October 05, 2013, 09:30:41 AM
What did you think I meant by "community chatter?"

And, uh...you don't...? You have to talk to that guy three times if you want to buy miracles from him immediately, but he's not the only source of miracles in the game. In fact, he only sells pretty much the weakest miracles in the game. I don't think I've ever bought a spell from him, except maybe Homeward if he sells that.

For those who find Dark Souls a little too easy, good news! There's a fix for that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am35x29QKkQ&feature=player_embedded#t=302
I know they're the weakest, but the next guy is a pretty far way away, and if you picked miracle-heavy class (for whatever reason) and you didn't know that guy already existed you'd be screwed. That's my point.