What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Trevino on July 04, 2016, 08:43:36 PM
...And the shitstorm continues. Trump is now anti-Semitic, or so it would seem: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/politics/donald-trump-tweet/

Perhaps this is what they were alluding to?

Quote from: http://www.themideastbeast.com/hillary-clinton-denies-jewish-heritage-admits-slight-resemblance/Former First Lady and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton categorically denied being a member of the Chosen People of God over the weekend, saying, “I know I have the nose for it, and perhaps even the temperament, but I am in no way connected to those Jews.”

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/jul/18/uselections2000.usa
Hillary Clinton is fighting a rearguard action to avoid further damage to her standing with the crucial Jewish vote in her campaign for a Senate seat after a claim that she once used an ethnic insult against one of Bill Clinton's aides. A book out today claims that 26 years ago she called Paul Fray, her husband's campaign manager at the time, a "fucking Jew bastard".

TheGlyphstone

..Those make Hillary look anti-Semetic, not Trump. So now I'm very, very confused.

Beguile's Mistress

Before you put any faith in what you read it's a good idea to check your sources.

http://www.themideastbeast.com/

The Mideast Beast is the home of breaking news and major stories about the Middle East that are impossible to find anywhere else. Because all news is satirical.

AmberStarfire

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

The director of the FBI is on the news, reviewing the Clinton e-mails inquiry and saying on the one hand, there were no signs of intentional mishandling of secret information, but it was still highly careless, and a small proportion of e-mails could have been snatched up by hostile countries and movements (impossible to say if any of them actually were, of course), on the other hand he would recommend prosecutors not to go ahead and put Mrs.Clinton on the bench. It's the decision of those prosecutors themselves though.

It's a no-brainer that some will suggest the FBI were bribed or elbowed into "protecting" Mrs. Clinton from the spectre of a lawsuit.

Update: Yep, Trump commented straight away that "the system is rigged".

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 05, 2016, 01:44:49 AM
Perhaps this is what they were alluding to?

I'm guessing this is about the image of Hillary with a Star of David text bubble behind her?  The primary reason that it's being talked about is that the image seems to have originated in the right-wing underbelly of the web.  Think 4chan, but with neo-Nazis.  The reason that is significant is that Trump's campaign seems to be making a regular occurrence of tweeting out something fascist, anti-Semetic, or otherwise reminiscent of the losing side of WWII and then having to explain it. 

There have been quotes from Mussolini, a picture of soldiers that turned out to be vintage WWII German images, and stuff like this last one.  You'd think that at some point they would learn to source their images before tweeting them, or that the 'anonymous idiot staffer' would be getting called up and treated to Trump's favorite phrase.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Renegade Vile

Well this is depressingly disgusting:
Link
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 05, 2016, 11:57:29 AM
Well this is depressingly disgusting:
Link

I don't even have words.  *throws arms up and starts packing*

Going back to Puerto Rico. Goodbye everyone il see you all in the news :P *swims across ocean*

Trigon

Quote from: Oniya on July 05, 2016, 11:26:30 AM
I'm guessing this is about the image of Hillary with a Star of David text bubble behind her?  The primary reason that it's being talked about is that the image seems to have originated in the right-wing underbelly of the web.  Think 4chan, but with neo-Nazis.  The reason that is significant is that Trump's campaign seems to be making a regular occurrence of tweeting out something fascist, anti-Semetic, or otherwise reminiscent of the losing side of WWII and then having to explain it. 

There have been quotes from Mussolini, a picture of soldiers that turned out to be vintage WWII German images, and stuff like this last one.  You'd think that at some point they would learn to source their images before tweeting them, or that the 'anonymous idiot staffer' would be getting called up and treated to Trump's favorite phrase.

My thoughts exactly. If anything, the Trump campaign works hard to justify posting such material when called out on it (for instance, their recent excuse saying that the media is "dishonest" for having pointed it out) instead of taking appropriate steps to address it as noted above. Then there's also the fact that many of those Neo-Nazi groups are some of the Trump campaign's most ardent supporters.

Oniya

Quote from: Trevino on July 05, 2016, 03:44:23 PM
My thoughts exactly. If anything, the Trump campaign works hard to justify posting such material when called out on it (for instance, their recent excuse saying that the media is "dishonest" for having pointed it out) instead of taking appropriate steps to address it as noted above. Then there's also the fact that many of those Neo-Nazi groups are some of the Trump campaign's most ardent supporters.

It's gotten to the point that when I do a *facepalm* at my computer, my 15-year-old will say 'What's Trump done now?'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Skynet

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 05, 2016, 12:05:11 PM

Going back to Puerto Rico. Goodbye everyone il see you all in the news :P *swims across ocean*

I'm sure they still have Elliquiy in Puerto Rico; it won't be so bad.  :P

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Skynet on July 05, 2016, 05:47:25 PM
I'm sure they still have Elliquiy in Puerto Rico; it won't be so bad.  :P

Yes and I will finally get in shape swimming in the beaches again :)

(Also I love your AVI ^3^)

Renegade Vile

Can I tag along? Bound to be better than Belgium too!

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 05, 2016, 10:28:10 AM
The director of the FBI is on the news, reviewing the Clinton e-mails inquiry and saying on the one hand, there were no signs of intentional mishandling of secret information, but it was still highly careless, and a small proportion of e-mails could have been snatched up by hostile countries and movements (impossible to say if any of them actually were, of course), on the other hand he would recommend prosecutors not to go ahead and put Mrs.Clinton on the bench. It's the decision of those prosecutors themselves though.

It's a no-brainer that some will suggest the FBI were bribed or elbowed into "protecting" Mrs. Clinton from the spectre of a lawsuit.

Update: Yep, Trump commented straight away that "the system is rigged".

The Intercept wrote an article on this contrasting Hillary's actions and consequences with those of others in similar situations. It's worth a read.
https://theintercept.com/2015/08/12/hillary-clinton-sanctity-protecting-classified-information/

Renegade Vile

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 06, 2016, 04:40:21 AM
The Intercept wrote an article on this contrasting Hillary's actions and consequences with those of others in similar situations. It's worth a read.
https://theintercept.com/2015/08/12/hillary-clinton-sanctity-protecting-classified-information/

What I don't get about this whole mess is how no-one in her entourage had the slightest inclination to tell her that handling this information in such a horribly unprotected manner was incredibly stupid. That the presidents themselves are of questionable intelligence is something that's occurred nine times out of ten by now, but usually they surround themselves by competent people to pick up the slack. Did no-one warn her? Notice this? It's just baffling to me.

Oniya

Actually, after PROMESA, I wouldn't go with Puerto Rico.  http://www.democracynow.org/2016/6/15/puerto_rico_is_being_left_voiceless

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on July 06, 2016, 09:42:28 AM
Actually, after PROMESA, I wouldn't go with Puerto Rico.  http://www.democracynow.org/2016/6/15/puerto_rico_is_being_left_voiceless

To be fair it wouldn't be happening if they didn't miss manage the money so poorly. When I lived in Puerto rico I rarely remember roads being paved or public works being fixed. When I came to the states (IE Virginia) It was the first time I saw roadwork ever being done.

Its not like this is being done just to bully the island. Two sides to every story. Although I will admit the government is probably gonna take advantage of this somehow and use it for their own gain.

And I will admit to my own bias of wanting PR to become the 51st state already but that's just me.

All of my first memories are from the island and I still drop Spanish into my sentences sometimes when I speak to others...a part of me feels like its my home. I want it to join the rest of the states and have a permanent place here. I want people to care about the island :(

Kythia

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 06, 2016, 10:17:37 AM
And I will admit to my own bias of wanting PR to become the 51st state already but that's just me.

I can't pretend I know much about the situation but the fact they're not has always baffled me.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Kythia on July 06, 2016, 10:24:24 AM
I can't pretend I know much about the situation but the fact they're not has always baffled me.

Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth which...is like Diet Statehood :P 

they have voted for status in the past (either being a state, independent or remaining a commonwealth) and they have remained as they are.

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on July 06, 2016, 10:24:24 AM

About the only reason I can come up with is that we wouldn't be able to sing 'Fifty Nifty United States' any more. 

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on July 06, 2016, 10:38:50 AM
About the only reason I can come up with is that we wouldn't be able to sing 'Fifty Nifty United States' any more.

Or if they did we would get the usual cries of "Evil American Imperialism! The Yankees are trying to conquer the world!"

Oniya

Yeah, but what rhymes with 'fifty-one'?  ;-)

I mean, we could always combine two of the other states.  Keep the numbers even.  Or maybe split Michigan in two and issue commemorative playing cards.

TheGlyphstone

Or get rid of one. Perfect opportunity to jettison Texas, really.