The Carrion Crown, Chapter 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone

Started by Jeramiahh, April 03, 2011, 02:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Kendra looks... considerably paler, by the time Celeste returns, but also surprisingly resilient. After a moment to compose herself, she smiles at Celeste, not-quite forced, even. "I'll have the courier take these, tomorrow," she says, shaking her head at the posed question. "Aside from his normal research, I'm afraid I can't say, in particular. Perhaps... the books that he wants you to deliver might hold some clues?" she offers, picking up the key that had fallen on the table when the will was opened, and passing it to Celeste. "I wish I could be of more help."
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

She nods a bit, taking the key graciously.  "I am also curious...did your father keep journals?"  She gives a wan sort of smile, "perhaps it is something...familial, but I am curious about these ghosts."  She fondles the key a moment, looking it over and nodding.  "Where is the chest this goes to?"
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

BK Geno

Interface Unit 256 (temp designation)
Entry 001H:

Unit was unable to locate local male 'Gibs' and would have to resume the search later. It turned aside from the collection of shacks outside the location 'Gibs' might be located. It headed back to the home where the females that had assisted it had been. It paused outside the home, having been about to hail the camp. After a moment, it decided to continue, and paused, before knocking.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Jeramiahh

"He did, actually... but, it's funny that you mention it. I haven't seen his old journal, since he passed away. But, yes, let me go get-- oh, who's that at the door?" Kendra asks, excusing herself to answer the door, a bit surprised to see the construct standing there. "Oh, um, hello. Can... can I help you?"
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

BK Geno

Entry 001I:

"Permission to enter and converse with you and the two that assisted unit before."

The construct headed in, pausing as it listened for a moment, before heading toward the room where the other two where. Once the local was in the room as well, it gave its report. "Report: Mob that attacked me and your procession were both organized by the same individual, one male warrior named 'Gibs' that lives in a shack on the outskirts of the local adventure questing area. Unit investigated, but was unable to locate the male individual in question. Conclusion: We three ally to determine why 'Gibs' is attempting mob justice and issue cease and desist order."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste slowly turns her head to look at the...device as it entered into its diatribe.  She watches, eyes half lidded, as it finishes what it was saying, still trying to determine for herself whether this thing counted as living or not.  "We have other matters to attend to...why should we care about some superstitious strong-arm?" 

She slips out of her seat in a single, fluid motion, albeit faster than most people would move, and moves closer to the device, walking around it looking it over critically up close.  Gears, cables, plates, tubes and other less identifiable things...it couldn't be alive, could it?  She pondered a moment, speaking softly while she is behind it, "what, precisely, are you, I wonder..."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

The elf kept quiet for a few moments, seeming almost lethargic for a moment before she raised her head and blinked slowly.  Then she spoke again, finally, looking at the construct tiredly. "Besides, the town isn't that big.  If you have his name, you only have to tell the sheriff.  I'm sorry, but I'm tired.  I assume you would prefer I rest elsewhere, Ms. Kendra?"

Lilial got to her feet, seeming as if she was being weighed down by something heavy.

Jeramiahh

Kendra looks rather surprised, as the construct asks for permission. "I... I suppose," she says, stepping aside as it hurries inside. She looks a bit nervous at the construct in her living room, but says nothing, since she'd seen it, earlier, with the two of them. "Gibs? Gibs Hephenus? That old bastard, pardon my language. He's harmless... he's always hated my father, though I never did learn why. I suspect word's already made it to the sheriff, to tell him off. And, no, dear, you're staying here. I'll see if I can't... find some way to help you, around town," she says.

BK Geno

Entry 001J:

Unit returned the closer female organics stare, before its plating suddenly seemed to flow and slide slightly, covering the more intricate workings. "Unit's explorer drone observed 'Gibs' minions obstructing and attempting to disrupt the ceremony in which all three present organics participated in. Unit concluded that there is a possibility that 'Gibs' (redesignating Gibs Hephenus) might attempt to complete its objective of disruption by exhuming remains. Unit noted groundkeepers in area, but possibility, while low, is still enough to warrant action.

Unit is Interface Unit 256 of 256, batch 1, from plane *information withheld due to security protocols* dispatched to determine reaction of local organics to constructs. If unit is received with impartial or better reception, survey team will be dispatched within five cycles to survey plane. Unit is not part of Gearmen, as you guessed earlier. Unit is part of Shadow Stalker collective, under the service of *information withheld due to security protocols* searching for *information withheld due to security protocols*."

Unit did not appear to have noticed that it's audible vocalizations had altered, or that it had not been allowed to fully explain things, as it glanced at the second, lethargic female, before tilting its head to the side slightly. "Unit is outsider, and calculated that 'Gibs Hephenus' would have minions within local law enforcement, and even if not, local law enforcement is likely organic, and would oppose unit due to prejuidice against outsiders, and due to having less in common with unit than 'Gibs Hephenus'."

Unit turned to the local female, its optical sensor flickering as its internal lamp altered its heat setting, indicating that it was quickly calculating and processing information, giving the impression it was blinking quickly. "Unit offers thanks for additional information about 'Gibs', but futher calculations sustain conclusion that local law enforcement will not mobilize at unit's request. However, unexplained animosity should not be merely dismissed, it might have roots in a far deeper problem. Unit advises that Gibs be sought out to determine exact cause of animosity. Unit calculates 16.45% chance that 'Gibs Hephenus' may target local female since main adversary is no longer within reach, if 'Gibs Hephenus' doesn't attempt desecration of ceremonial spot."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The dhampir listens quietly to what the device has to say, not interfering as it explained in its own precise way.  After a bit she let out a long, exasperated sigh and shook her head slightly.  "A fallen paladin and a...device from Axis.  How...orderly."  She rolled her eyes and found a seat again.  From the explanation it gave, she had to assume that it was probably part of a group from Axis that fought the Shadow plane.  Considering where it was, that made sense.  It also meant it was likely particularly loathe of undead and resistant to negative energy fields.  Which meant...no talking about family, heritage or trying to drop it with a negative energy effect.

She began massaging her temples slowly.  First, keep evil books from falling into the wrong hands.  Second, keep Kendra alive and comfortable.  Third, probably should make sure that the professor remains undisturbed.  Fourth, talking with the ghost sounded sort of interesting, but dragging around the most lawful, orderly pair of being withing the city limits would take any interest out of such. 
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

"I doubt that you could call me orderly, Ms. Devonshire.  But thank you, Ms. Kendra...I'll try not to be a bother for you." Lilial said, smiling tiredly, then she looked at the robot and spoke, not as polite as she normally was. "Well.  I wasn't wanting to be this blunt, but I feel that it is the only way to get it across to you.  I don't know what you are, though saying you're from Axis seems likely.  But the truth is, if this 'Gib's' isn't dealt with by the local authorities, we should simply leave him alone.  This is a small town.  Small towns tend to be intolerant and superstitious.  In Ustalav, most individuals don't trust any non-humans, so if we try to accuse him of such actions, we will be the ones further distrusted.  Now, I'm going to rest.  I've had a few too many shocks.  Good day."

And with that she turned to head outside to grab her things, obviously feeling rather tired and uncomfortable with things.

Jeramiahh

Kendra sits quietly, throughout their conversation, looking a bit nervous, about all of it, then, as Lillial goes to leave, quickly stands up and says, perhaps a bit overly loud, "Let me go and get that chest of books,"

She hurries away, leaving Celeste and the construct in the room alone for a minute or two, before returning, bearing the relatively small oak chest, bound with iron, which she sets down on the table, close to where Celeste was sitting. "Here you go."

BK Geno

Entry 001K:

The unit didn't move, its single glowing optical sensor on pale elven female, before it blinked once, and turned its head to the other one. "Who was the person in the container? Not their name, that is unimportant, who was he to you."

The unit turned back, and stared at the first one, head tilted slightly. "And what was the person to you?"

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

Glancing at the device, Lilial barely smiled, not looking particularly pleasant at the moment. "He was important.  Enough so that what you asked is an insult that I...will not respond to.  This time.  Good-bye."

And with that she left the room, quickly.  She went out behind the house to gather her gear for the moment, giving her time to cool down after the insult that the 'device' had given.

BK Geno

Entry 001L:

The construct tilted its head to the side, before speaking. "Unit does not understand. If he wasn't important, unit would not bother you with more information. If he was important, unit desires to understand why you don't wish to do something about the local."

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The dhampir grinds her teeth quietly for a moment, resisting the urge to bite her tongue as she knows what usually happens when she does that.  Her emotions catch up with the rest of her quickly, "because, unit is being inconsiderate of merely mortal emotions.  Because the 'person in the container' is dead and is important to everyone here.  Because unit is obviously obsessed with law and order over feelings and people.  Because unit is a machine and an outsider.  You wish to understand how it is mortals will interact with devices, unit?  Then go to Numeria.  Go to Absalom.  Go to Taldor or Katapesh, or one of the other cities where the strange and the exotic is every day, not some backwoods, superstitious, fearful and paranoid little town in the back of beyond.  Unit should listen and observe, and keep the hell out of things that do not concern unit."

With that she stands, not quite jumping, and quickly stepping out the door to the back of the building with preternatural speed.  Any who watch closely might notice the slight tremble in her hands as she leaves in a swirl of robes and cloth, the back door closing more firmly than strictly necessary.  She doesn't even really seem to notice Lilial as she leaves the house and decides to go for a walk, away from the general town area, her step quick and touched by eerie smoothness from her vampiric sire.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Jeramiahh

Kendra sits in silence, watching the scene unfold, as the other women leave the room. Finally, once silence has fallen, she says, quietly, "The man was my father. The renowned Professor Petros Lorrimor, p-professor of the arcane arts," she says, trying to maintain her composure, looking, if nothing else, exhausted, her nerves completely overburdened for the day. "I would... I would suggest that you... not be here, when they return. I'm going to take a rest, I think," she says, wearily rising to her feet, and gesturing towards the door, locking it behind the construct, once he's outside.

As the sun sets over Ravengro, and our three adventurers have gone their separate ways, through the town, to cool their heads, or for their own purposes, an eerie quiet settles over the town, and people quickly make their way indoors, locking their doors and shuttering their windows. About twenty minutes into Celeste's walk, near the outskirts of town, she feels a vague... tingle, at the back of her neck.
For Celeste
Make a DC 10 Perception check, to notice a swarm of small, glowing lights, floating around you. Succeed, and you can make an Initiative check; score 11 or higher, and you can act first, if you feel a need to. If you don't channel positive energy to dispel the haunt, after passing both checks, then the lights swarm around you, dozens of them, varying in size from pinpricks to watermelon sized, almost as if they're chasing you. Make a DC 13 Will save, as the orbs seem to threaten you. Fail, and be Frightened for 3 rounds. Pass and be Shaken for 1.

About three hours later, at night, as Lillial is in her bedroom, she'll hear, quietly at first, and then louder, a series of rapping noises, on the wall, just above the headboard of her bed.
For Lillial
Make a DC 11 will save, or be frightened for one round. Pass, and be shaken, instead. Either way, she'll hear the series of raps, if she listens for the full five minutes or so.
Two quick taps, one heavy tap, one tap, pause, two quick taps, pause, one solid tap, one quick tap, pause, one heavy tap, two quick taps, long pause, one heavy thump, pause, four rapid taps, pause, one light tap, pause, two loud thuds. This pattern will repeat, once a minute, for five minutes, before fading away.

Interface Unit 256 heads south, after leaving Kendra's house, towards the prison of Harrowstone, to further investigate the Professor's death, despite the more than two weeks that have passed, since.
For IU256
Harrowstone is located on a barren hill south of the city of Ravengro,  the  stark,  sagging  roof of  its  central  structure visible  through  a  large  gap  in  the  surrounding  wall.  A partially  overgrown  track  leads  from  the  southern  edge  of town, winding around the base of the hill and then back up along its southern slope to the prison itself. Harrowstone’s  grounds  are  contained within a crumbling stone wall, the eastern portion of which has  fallen away  into a huge sinkhole.

A  sagging wood  and metal  gate  set  between  a  pair  of  stone guard towers once barred entrance into Harrowstone, but the gates now hang negligently open, creaking softly in what wind touches the ruined bars. The  stone  wall  that  surrounds  most  of  the  prison grounds  is  covered  with  creeping  ivy,  and  the  blocks beneath  that  growth  are  eroded.

If he moves through the gates, he'll find himself assaulted with a sudden feeling of claustrophobia, and the startling sensation that he has suddenly caught fire. Make a DC 12 Will save (mind affecting, fear), or become shaken for 6 minutes.

BK Geno

Entry 001M:

Unit withdrew upon local declaring her fatigue, still confused as to why it's conclusions had been so badly received, but also the second female's comment about law and order. It left, heading for the prison, intent on determining why the town had closed down so suddenly, assuming the nearby ruins had something to do with it. Upon its arrival, the explorer drone refused to go into the ruin first, but did make a couple slow circuits around the outside, giving the main unit a reasonable intuition result as to the interior size of the ruin. It immediately stopped upon attempting entry, realizing that it had been attacked with magic, but its emotion subroutines hadn't loaded yet, and its observations and internal diagnostics did not return the same result. It did a second check, before concluding it was under an illusion attack, and withdrew, not wishing to invite a more dangerous, physical attack, as it was not currently equipped with repair subroutines.

Upon withdrawing approximately sixty feet from the primary entrance, it knelt down, and did a quick diagnostic check on its weapons, ensuring that they still could deploy from their concealed recesses without catching, before simply observing the prison for the night. It would not move unless either something came out or into the ruins, or dawn came.

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste really wasn't paying too much attention to the town or it's goings on at the moment, trying to get some fresh air into her lungs to cool down the flare of her temper.  She knew that her darker nature was much closer to the surface that she gave credit, most of the time.  It came with the blood of her father, really...caught between trying to remain frustratingly calm and quiet, staying as unperturbed as possible, or the whip-lashing violence of her emotions.  At the moment, she was dealing with the red hot coal of anger and the dark shadows that it tended to bring with it.

She caught the movement out of the corner of her eyes, the flicker of dancing lights coming upon her.  She gave a derisive snort and held her holy symbol up, the points of the dagger tips digging into her palm and fingers, pouring her frustration in with her faith in a burst of lifegiving holy energy.  She shuddered at the feeling of the wave of energy washing over her, leaving her untouched.  Positive energy always left her feeling...singed.

Dropping her holy symbol against her chest again, she looked out into the empty air and called out in common.  "You cannot be any more fond of that than I am.  Come forth and speak, if you will, but harry me not otherwise, spirits."  With that, she stood in the middle of the trail and waited several minutes.
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

When the elf reached her new bedroom, she lay down and just...sat there listlessly for a time.  The room was small and fairly empty, save for the bed and a chest of books in the corner.  She'd set her pack atop them and closed her eyes, simply...thinking.  Old aches and forgotten pains had flared to life, as well as old shames.  She murmured a few words in elven, aching with loneliness and rolled over to look at the wall.  She felt so...empty.  Kendra had understood, or at least seemed to.  But...she shook her head, then stiffened in shock as the knocking began.  For a long moment she was frozen, and then her eyes narrowed.  There was...a pattern to the knocks?  She began to discern the pattern by the end of the second set.  By the third her eyes had narrowed, and she quickly pulled out an inkpen and scrap of parchment to note down any further noises when the fourth began.  The fifth set helped her correct a few hasty errors in the fourth set, and then all was silent.  For a time Lilial sat up, waiting, and even paced a bit.  But at long last she chose to go to bed instead, deciding that nothing more was forthcoming.

Jeramiahh

Celeste:

The lights wink out, almost instantly, and the sense of fright fades away, as she drives away the unquiet spirit that had decided to haunt her. The rest of her evening, she is left alone.

Lilial:

No one else in the building seemed to notice the knocking. (A DC 15 Linguistics check allows her to decode the message; it's in a common adventuring code, eg; Morse Code)

IU256:

Nothing but common animals move in or around the prison grounds, during the night.

All: Experience points for the first day, 350 exp each. Lilial receives an additional 100, Celeste gains 300, and IU256 receives 150.

The next morning, the sun rises, to a worried town, rumors flying wildly. Along the shoreline of the river, only a thousand feet away from the Lorrimor house, stands a 25-foot tall statue of a strong, valiant looking man, although it's now covered in moss. And, as of this morning, a large, bloody letter 'V' has been painted on the statue's base, with more blood splattered, liberally, around the statue and the ground.

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

The elf got up early, considering what to do for a moment, then she decided that she needed to calm her nerves.  And that meant that only one thing would do.  And since she couldn't quite figure out what the code had meant...

When the others came downstairs, they would find Lilial in the kitchen, busily making pancakes and other food for breakfast, even as she hummed to herself quietly.

((Craft(cooking) 25.  Linguistics 14.))

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

Celeste returned to the house late in the evening and found her way to bed.  Of course, the first thing she realizes in the morning is that the window in her room lets in just enough light to make her...uncomfortable.  With a bit of grumbling to herself, she rolled out of the relative comfort of the bed and hung a blanket over the window to dim the light to a more tolerable level.  But, of course, by the time that was done, she was awake.

She took a few minutes to tend to herself, brushing out her hair and getting dressed, before coming downstairs to the scent of breakfast.  And not the light sort of breakfast she anticipated but the scent of a hearty, well seasoned breakfast.  She blinked as she came into the kitchen and found not the mistress of the house, but rather the paladin.  Covering her surprise, she found a place to sit and began nibbling at the various sundries that had been prepared.  Glancing over at the cook stove, she noticed that Lilial appeared to be doing steak and eggs to go with pancakes and hash.  After a moment of hesitation, she speaks up a bit, "could you do one rare?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Lilial Ambersight

The elf blinked as she saw Celeste enter the room, nodding as she focused on the food, a slight smile on her face.  But when the other woman spoke up with her request, Lilial's response was simple.  A cooking fork snaked outward, grabbed a new piece of meat without even looking, and tossed it into the pan as she asked. "Certainly.  How rare?"

ShamshielDF

Celeste Devonshire

The cleric considers for a moment at best, then smiles slightly, "sear both sides, then find somewhere cool on the pan to let it come up to above body temperature?  Not enough for it to lose the redness, just...warm in the middle?"  She shrugged slightly, sipping at the watered down wine in her glass, "if I'm not returning to the temple for a while I need to find some way to...deal with things?  Rare steaks are the best for such."
Ons and offs!
A&A