One fight, one life

Started by ReflectManSmile, March 27, 2011, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReflectManSmile

Hello everybody !

I was planning my scenario for my (un)lucky players to come, when a story forged into my mind.

I wrote it down, and I'll gladly share it to you. I know it's short, and it's my first, so if you like it, hate it, or think something could be changed, please leave a reply.

Thank you !

I hope you'll like it.

RMS

###############################################

I still remember that day.

I was in that village. Trying to get my job done, no more, no less. My family had been murdered by the war. What could I do but try to earn my living and protect the only friends I had ? I knew I despised my life. My work. My tasks. My employers. But I had no choice. "Go there, sack that village. A farmer refused to pay us.", they ordered me. "Do it. Or you'll happen to find your friends dead by tomorrow."

I walked slowly to the barn. I hated my job. I wanted to stop. To turn back. To escape. But my friends would pay a tribute I would not want them to. So I resigned. I screwed my eyes as strong as I could to avoid the tears coming out. How unfortunate was the old man living there. I hated myself. I hated the war. I hated life. But I had to set the fire now. I took out the firelighter.

When I was small, my father used to show me how to light a fire. I closed my eyes, repressing the good old days, the nice moments, and started to do my horrible task. Please, anyone...

Then... In a flash, she appeared. Cloaked. Under that armour of her. I didn't know who she was. Had I knew it, the things may have happened otherwise. But here we were.

The moon chose that instant to unveil itself from the cloaking clouds.

"Leave." she told me.

"I can't." I answered.

"Leave now. Here is your last chance." she continued.

I thought the battle would be quickly done, so I readied my only sword, ready to deliver the blow.

She started right away. She moved so fast I couldn't do anything but defend. I felt the heat of the battle coming from her. The will and the strength of the sword she was holding. I heard the metal clings. I tried to focus. She was not fighting. She was dancing with her katana. A beautiful and dangerous dance. On a dark and challenging music. It was like if danger was coming next to yourself, then running around, close enough to drain the sands of your time. Hiding in the dark like a panther, she only came into the light to strike.

Of course, I fought back. Of course, I tried to do my best. But something was not normal with her. She was not fighting. She was not displaying fear. She was not nervous. I was. Not a single drop of sweat was running down her face. They were all along my neck. When she hit, moon lighted under her hood. I looked at her face. She had blonde long hair with blue eyes. And deep into them was a fire burning. A fire bigger than the one I was supposed to start. I did not want to win. I did not want to loose. I just wanted to look at the dance. I tried to stand against all hits. And then...

A big metal sound echoed.

My sword had been thrown high in the air, cut in two.

She was pointing her sword at my throat. I knew I was going to die. So, I closed my eyes, and waited. Waited.

Nothing happened.

I opened my eyes again. She was standing there, her sword still pointed at me. Her face was not displaying any anger. I stood there for a moment, dumbfounded. My broken sword was here, just

"Leave now." she told me.

I would never forget those words.

I didn't dare to rise my eyes again. I ran away as fast as I could.

Later I heard that my "employers" had been killed. The money they owed me had been given to my friends.
I thought and I thought again of what happened. About how lucky I was.
Luck... No, that wasn't a matter of luck. It was a sign.

A sign of what ? I was all alone. Alone again, with no goal, no aim. Nobody to care for.

So I made a decision.

And now... It has been fifteen years I'm under the orders of Commander Amanda. From orphan to burglar to Lieutenant. I don't regret anything of my previous life. I've grown into another man, following her guidances, trying to repay the debt I own her. Nice, generous and energetic. I'm a happy man. All people are pleased with my work. My swordplay has improved. My friends have finally settled, and life has restarted. The war is soon to be ended. Everything will be fine.

I often look at the moon, late at night. Some stars are blinking, like small winks of hope and happiness. How beautiful is the scenery...

Lost in my thoughts, I only have one desire for the future.

I just hope my daughter will inherit the beauty her mother displays in a fight. And that she will be living happily all her life.
My intro ~ My A&A ~ My On/Offs ~ R.R. ~ My current mood
Fantasied fantasy ~ R.H.
Do not hesitate to correct my English if you notice some mistakes ! ;)
'Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.' - Francis Bacon, Essays, 2, "Of Death"

Sybl

Quote from: ReflectManSmile on March 27, 2011, 03:31:06 PM
Hello everybody !

I was planning my scenario for my (un)lucky players to come, when a story forged into my mind.

I wrote it down, and I'll gladly share it to you. I know it's short, and it's my first, so if you like it, hate it, or think something could be changed, please leave a reply.

Thank you !

I hope you'll like it.

RMS

what I've read so far, good, hope to read more, when they come available.
:-)

ReflectManSmile

Thanks for your feedback, Sybl.
I'll do more as soon as I'll get inspired again.
I like to develop characters a lot more, but this was a oneshot that crossed my head at that moment. :-)
My intro ~ My A&A ~ My On/Offs ~ R.R. ~ My current mood
Fantasied fantasy ~ R.H.
Do not hesitate to correct my English if you notice some mistakes ! ;)
'Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.' - Francis Bacon, Essays, 2, "Of Death"