Antec 900 flashes blue light clicks does not power up

Started by kylie, June 26, 2010, 11:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylie

I have this Antec 900 case that I've been running for a year and a half now with no problems, love it.  Earthwatts 650w power, E8400, 3g RAM, CPU cooler and usual 4 fans.   

Today I was gaming and everything froze.  I saw a black screen.  Heard input noises when I hit keys but couldn't figure a way out.  I think I was still logged on the net, but blind.  Hit the power button thinking I'd reset. 

Now the machine doesn't start up.  When I hit the switch, the blue light flashes through the case and it clicks.  Nothing more.  The SB_PWR light on the motherboard, in green, is on.

Just possible mitigating factors lately: Spilled some milk near though not exactly into the case a few days back (took out the power outlet it was using then, gyah).  Has been running a lot, on a chain of surge protectors now (have to reach a power outlet) and it's gotten awfully hot in here.  No complaints from the motherboard thermostat software, though.  But now it's just not turning on at all.

Ugh.  Now that I think about it, I wonder if the culprit is that I put together 2 surge protectors to reach an outlet after that spill.  Anyone place bets on what that does?  (Please don't just call me an idiot.  I really do a lot online, including not a little work.  I coudn't so easily move the furniture.)

Ideas?  Any fixes still??  Thanks much.

Vekseid

I'm guessing, by the name 'Earthwatts', it's a high efficiency power supply?

They need to have a minimum load to drive a boot. It might be that some component in it decided it was going to get even more pissy. Try a weaker, cheaper power supply and see if that works.

kylie

Thanks Vek.  I needed some hope. 

Do you have any idea what a good range of power is for the rest of the hardware?  It's also got a 9800 gt graphics card.  I think I was hearing 450 or so watts but I'm not really not sure?

kylie

Vek, actually I'm not sure I understand completely -- why a lower wattage power source?  I've never had a problem with that one before, although I don't usually run so hot as that.  I don't plan to keep it on a chain of surge protectors, now that I realize I left them alone like that.  I might need an extension cord for a while, but...  Is there a more general concern about the wattage?  I don't understand all of it completely, but it also looks like the specs on the 9800 GT card even call for slightly more amperage than the Earthwatts is labeled at.  12V@25A on the Earthwatts against 12V@26A required -- although as I said, a year and a half without any other problem.

Reading around on this gets difficult...  It sounds like if any one part is hurt, the whole thing won't work.  But once it doesn't work, who knows which one.  You need a duplicate of the lot to plug parts into...  If there's not enough power, you don't get functionality.  You might get fans with a weak power supply, but I don't even have that.  I just have a spark.  It knows someone is knocking, but it can't be bothered.  The blue light is supposed to come on when the fans are working, but I think there's more to it than that.

But if the graphics card is shot it may not start at all either, and same again for the CPU?  Is that right? 
(I sort of understand the CPU being totally necessary, but graphics?)

Then I found a warning that if it's the CPU, the motherboard is at risk every time you hit the power button to try anything.  So I could start disconnecting parts to test all but the CPU, but blow the motherboard testing it.  Although if the CPU is gone, that costs more and it's already tearing everything out to change it.

Some say taking out a stick of RAM can solve everything and others say RAM will survive almost anything.  Shrug.

Myeh....  I still think you're right Vek, I may as well start with the power.  Although, I think I need a substantial power source just to test the video card.  I've never had trouble with it, but maybe a surge built up and did in the PSU.  And if it did eat a surge but saved the rest, I'll say good PSU. ::)  Just crossing my fingers it's not more than one bad link.

HairyHeretic

You could try removing one piece of hardware (stick of ram, sound card, whatever) at a time and seeing if that then lets you start up?

If the graphics card is out it should still power up, you just won't get anything on your display (at least that was what I got when my gfx card failed).
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

kylie

Tried working with one or the other RAM stick, and changing the power cord.  No luck there. 

Rats.  Foiled.  I really liked the inexpensive sound of changing the power cord. 

Called around a bit.  The consensus does seem to be just try another power supply, as Vek said.  There's a good deal on a serious one, so I'm going to cross my fingers (once it arrives). 

A couple people with experience in surges say graphics cards are not usually hit.  Mixed reports about experiences with the CPU, but the techie shops seem to think it's not so likely to go either.  I don't know what to expect on the hard drive.  Just betting the power supply soaked ate the trouble and got heartburn. 

Tharic

Sounds like a bad power supply, so hopefully that resolves your issue. Hopefully the one you have on order is a match for your current hardware, there are some considerations that typically need to be taken when purchasing a new power supply with regards to your connectors.

A little more detail can be found below..

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm

Hopefully you didn't order an ATX when you needed an ATX-2 or vice versa type scenario is the typical concern.

Typically if the power supply is good and the video card, RAM or MB is bad, you'll still get some level of POST codes on most modern MB's (unless of course, your MB doesn't support POST codes or they're disabled in the BIOS) But it doesn't even sound like you were getting POST codes.

Let us know how the replacement power supply works though, always interested to hear.

Vekseid

Derf. Missed this, sorry.

I never bothered to look into why high efficiency power supplies were so picky. I imagine it's just a function of being so efficient at that range. But I've had the exact same problem - new power supply, no more problem. : )

kylie

Quote from: Rolin
Sounds like a bad power supply, so hopefully that resolves your issue. Hopefully the one you have on order is a match for your current hardware, there are some considerations that typically need to be taken when purchasing a new power supply with regards to your connectors. A little more detail can be found below..

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/power-supply-basics-inc-pinouts.htm
Hopefully you didn't order an ATX when you needed an ATX-2 or vice versa type scenario is the typical concern.

Typically if the power supply is good and the video card, RAM or MB is bad, you'll still get some level of POST codes on most modern MB's (unless of course, your MB doesn't support POST codes or they're disabled in the BIOS) But it doesn't even sound like you were getting POST codes.
Thank you but...  Honestly, I couldn't make much out of that link.  It looks like the connectors I have been using could be either ATX or ATX-2.  That list is loaded with "ATX / ATX-2"  and I can't tell from there how to know one from the other. 

The motherboard I have ends in ATX, but the power supply I was using forever ends in ATX Ver 2.2...  Now I'm quite confused   :-\  Unless that version has to do with the supply itself and not the ATX?

The other pertinent stuff is an Asus P5Q Pro board, e8400 cpu,  Nvidia 9800 GT card.  For power, I was using Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2.  This time, I ordered a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V.  I mentioned the other parts on techie forums and they recommended this (and it was on sale).  I found one post on the web that said they're pretty much equivalent power units for overall quality, but I don't know about the ATX v ATX-2 business.

No beeps, which I take to mean is no BIOS.  Just a non-starter, give or take that little flash of case lighting.

Tharic

You should be good from a connectors perspective. I looked both your MB and your new PS up on Newegg and the motherboard takes a standard ATX 24-pin power connector while your new Corsair powersupply has a that as the main connector.

Your old EarthWatts PS had a 4 Pin ATX 12V and an 8 Pin EPS 12V connector while your new one they're combined into one 12V(4/8Pin). Shouldn't be a problem at all though.

Corsair's a great PS and great memory, so you should be good there.

kylie

Well, I really do appreciate the encouragement.  The Corsair has such fancy packaging, little black pouch bag and black styrofoam and all.  I'm not sure I like the rigid, thickly insulated lines for every single connection, but at least it sure looks sturdy.

Installed that, and now I have power.  Now, I think I have everything except video and possibly audio... 

Looked with the case open briefly.  All of the fans are running.  Case lights that are supposed to go with the fans do stay on.  I did find that the fan on the bottom of the graphics card had accumulated a whole lot of dust (umm, I forgot that fan was there).  The CD drives light up on startup and they do open manually.  The hard drive indicator light flashes over time as if it's doing things.  The ethernet light on the modem comes on.  I do not hear any beeps from the machine at all, not immediately nor when I punch keys. 

Next problem...  There's no video feed coming out.  Nor audio, apparently.  (I'm actually not sure; I may have muted the regular sound play last time I used it, if that matters.)  The graphics card is the only video output route.  I don't know what to think about the audio.  It doesn't customarily beep on startup, but I rather expected to hear something if I punched at keys a little.

Took out the graphics card (XFX Nvidia 9800 GT) and reinserted it.  No change.  I also noticed this card comes with its own 4-point connector that branches into two connectors that link to molex ones from the power supply.  (The two card lines actually have 3 prongs each inside.)  It occurred to me that in case the problem were with that set of connectors, I could connect a 4-point line from the power supply directly to the graphics card...  I'm not sure if that would work, or whether it would be a good idea though?

Also suppose I can try a different pair of molexes from the power supply, just in case.

Does this mean it's probably the graphics card?  Or does the lack of any sound at all make it likely the CPU is missing some marbles?  Thanks again.

kylie

Not having a lot of parts or tools to test with, I finally caved and took it to a shop.

Seems to be the graphics card died and was holding down the whole system.  They said if they replace that, it runs fine.  Surprising that did in the power-up so thoroughly  :P