The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 22, 2015, 09:22:17 PM
Both comic book companies seem to be retconning all their titles again. Marvel with Secret Wars, and DC with Convergence. DC new block of movies seems to be for the most part following the New 52 series. At least using a lot of the elements to create the new universe.

Other sources are reporting that Sony, Marvel and Paramount are skipping the San Diego comicon.

Given Sony's head is spinning over this whole Spider-Man thing, them not showing up is also unsurprising. Which comic properties is Paramount involved in?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Paramount has largely distrubed/produced the Thor movies, Captain America, and Iron Man. Fox has Deadpool, and the X-men, and Gambit. Channing Tatum stated his Gambit won't be involved in X-Men: Apocalypse.  Rumor is they are looking back to Kenneth Brannagh to do the next Thor movie. Paramount is probably doing some of the other Marvel movies.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 23, 2015, 12:15:51 AM
Paramount has largely distrubed/produced the Thor movies, Captain America, and Iron Man. Fox has Deadpool, and the X-men, and Gambit. Channing Tatum stated his Gambit won't be involved in X-Men: Apocalypse.  Rumor is they are looking back to Kenneth Brannagh to do the next Thor movie. Paramount is probably doing some of the other Marvel movies.

I think given the lousy track record of using the same director more than once in the MCU, Branagh would be a bad move for Ragnarok.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CuriousEyes

So... not sure if these have been mentioned, but interesting news of the last couple days:

Leaks about character attributes required in previous Marvel/Sony distribution deals on Spider-Man - among other things, no version of Spider-Man Sony ever develops a film for can smoke or be gay (unless he/she is gay in the source material), and Peter Parker must always be white, straight, and personally responsible for the creation of his initial costume.

In more Spider-Man news... it looks like Tom Holland as Spidey is official. I personally think this isn't the worst casting - he's on the older spectrum of teen and physically looks it. The actor seems to be pretty well respected for his previous work.

And he's not Asa Butterfield. Thank god.

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 23, 2015, 01:16:28 PM
So... not sure if these have been mentioned, but interesting news of the last couple days:

Leaks about character attributes required in previous Marvel/Sony distribution deals on Spider-Man - among other things, no version of Spider-Man Sony ever develops a film for can smoke or be gay (unless he/she is gay in the source material), and Peter Parker must always be white, straight, and personally responsible for the creation of his initial costume.

In more Spider-Man news... it looks like Tom Holland as Spidey is official. I personally think this isn't the worst casting - he's on the older spectrum of teen and physically looks it. The actor seems to be pretty well respected for his previous work.

And he's not Asa Butterfield. Thank god.

He still looks like a kid. I weep for the future of the wall-crawler. I thought all this trouble would have given them time to realize what a horrible idea it was to keep him a teenager.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 25, 2015, 10:54:38 AM
Third time's a charm?

Not if they've all but confirmed they haven't learned from their past mistakes. Still, Marvel if not Sony deserves a bit of credibility. They've got a good track record, even though they're not infallible.

SapphireStar

Looks like Tom Holland has been confirmed as the new Spider-man. Apparently due to the video/pics he posted showing off insane stunts.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 25, 2015, 06:50:37 PM
Looks like Tom Holland has been confirmed as the new Spider-man. Apparently due to the video/pics he posted showing off insane stunts.

What kind of stunts? Just him messing around or serious rehearsal type stuff?

Did they confirm whether he's going to have a cameo in Civil War yet or is this delayed casting going to make it too late?

SapphireStar

Apparently that was a bonus in the decision making. And Marvel said it was strictly a Sony thing.

On the DC side, apparently rumors are flying that they are looking at Chris Pine to be the Green Lantern. Um, is he going to be playing two characters in the same universe. Rumors were that he was going to play Steve Trevor and be Wonder Woman's love interest?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 25, 2015, 09:49:34 PM
Apparently that was a bonus in the decision making. And Marvel said it was strictly a Sony thing.

On the DC side, apparently rumors are flying that they are looking at Chris Pine to be the Green Lantern. Um, is he going to be playing two characters in the same universe. Rumors were that he was going to play Steve Trevor and be Wonder Woman's love interest?

Well if they retcon everything and have Trevor becoming the GL instead of Jordan, Rayner or Stewart, it could work. The question is, WHY?

Morrowclaw

Holland is a bit of an unknown but he's a damn fine actor with great athletic ability. He's also been confirmed for Cap 3.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Mathim

Quote from: jcsimpson on June 26, 2015, 03:11:19 AM
Holland is a bit of an unknown but he's a damn fine actor with great athletic ability. He's also been confirmed for Cap 3.

That's for sure, I'd never heard of him before this Spidey casting narrowed it down to a few names with him among them.

Still wondering how they're planning on keeping Civil War focused on Cap if that's what they claim is their intent.

Morrowclaw

Twitter is abuzz with early reviews for Ant-Man and they mention something about the post-credits scene. Spoiler tag below in case you want to go in fresh, however it doesn't ruin the plot of Ant-Man, just ruins most of the post-credit scene.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
They mention Spidey!
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

mia h

I thought it did more than that....

I read somewhere that there is a guy cleaning windows and Spidey turns up and points out that he missed a bit
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: mia h on June 26, 2015, 01:34:34 PM

I read somewhere that there is a guy cleaning windows and Spidey turns up and points out that he missed a bit

That clip was a fake 'leaked' as the trailer teaser for Avengers 2.

deadmanshand

Quote from: mia h on June 26, 2015, 01:34:34 PM

That was a hoax post credits scene for Avengers 2. Fan made.

Mathim

Well it could have worked since they didn't necessarily need someone cast if they were just going to have someone in a suit and mask, or just a CGI'd figure. Glad it was a hoax though. It's about time they take Spidey seriously even if he is one of the bigger jokers in the comics.

Oh, and I don't know how long this was available but I saw a new international trailer for Ant-Man on youtube this morning and there's way more awesome footage and a bit more insight into the plot. It looks really awesome, I can't wait for the release date.

SapphireStar

Checked out a news article, which was listing the San Diego Comicon panels by day. And, it looks like Marvel is doing a panel despite what Kevin Feige said. They are doing a panel for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter.

Looks like season 3 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to focus on Coulson looking for more superpowered individuals to create a team, The Secret Warriors, which in the comics was led by Daisy "Quake" Johnson aka Skye. So, it looks like might be seeing Daredevil popping up in season 3 and perhaps the introduction to Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 27, 2015, 04:21:17 PM
Checked out a news article, which was listing the San Diego Comicon panels by day. And, it looks like Marvel is doing a panel despite what Kevin Feige said. They are doing a panel for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter.

Looks like season 3 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to focus on Coulson looking for more superpowered individuals to create a team, The Secret Warriors, which in the comics was led by Daisy "Quake" Johnson aka Skye. So, it looks like might be seeing Daredevil popping up in season 3 and perhaps the introduction to Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist.

See, now THAT makes sense. Doing promotions for their TV stuff is more timely and important than their movies which are still making bank. And you forgot to mention the Punisher since he's also coming along for S2 of Daredevil. They should really just scrap Agents of SHIELD though (in name, at least), and focus on what's going to become the Defenders or, as you mentioned, just change the name to Secret Warriors. Doesn't that sound more exciting than Agents of SHIELD?

SapphireStar

It does make sense to do the panels for the tv shows, but again, it looks like just two. With the success of Daredevil, and the new slate of shows starting later this year, it still would give a chance for fans to meet them in person.

From what I read, the Secret Warriors was a superpowered group of individuals gathered by Nick Fury in the comic which operated within S.H.I.E.L.D.. It seems logical to keep the name, but start to shift into focus a little. They would probably still be operating S.H.I.E.L.D. missions while Coulson and Skye get the new facility up and running to train people like Skye. Which could be a teaser for the Avengers Academy which was started in the comics during Civil War. They upped Luke Mitchell who played one of the Inhumans to a series regular.

Season 3 could throw out even more teasers to the upcoming Captain America movie, feeling the growing ripples. And, with the other Netflix shows starting up later this year, it plays right into the new season for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I see lots of crossover potential.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 27, 2015, 05:12:33 PM
It does make sense to do the panels for the tv shows, but again, it looks like just two. With the success of Daredevil, and the new slate of shows starting later this year, it still would give a chance for fans to meet them in person.

From what I read, the Secret Warriors was a superpowered group of individuals gathered by Nick Fury in the comic which operated within S.H.I.E.L.D.. It seems logical to keep the name, but start to shift into focus a little. They would probably still be operating S.H.I.E.L.D. missions while Coulson and Skye get the new facility up and running to train people like Skye. Which could be a teaser for the Avengers Academy which was started in the comics during Civil War. They upped Luke Mitchell who played one of the Inhumans to a series regular.

Season 3 could throw out even more teasers to the upcoming Captain America movie, feeling the growing ripples. And, with the other Netflix shows starting up later this year, it plays right into the new season for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I see lots of crossover potential.

Crossover potential doesn't stop at Civil War, the Inhumans are getting their own movie after all (though Spider-Man's appearance in the MCU pushed them to after Infinity War which makes things make less sense, but on the bright side does seem to give rise to the credibility of there being a Phase 4). Still, I hope they appear in IW even if their standalone movie doesn't happen 'til it's over.

CaptainNexus616

So who here is betting Spidey will have his Iron Spider outfit as his first official Spider-Man costume in Civil War?

Originally in the comics Spidey joined up with Stark at first whom made this costume for him and I'll be honest...I am not a fan of the design but it is his most functional suit EVER. Including appendages that can emerge from the back he can use for combat with camera tips, camouflage system, gliding capabilities and much much more.

Basically I see this with MCU Spidey just starting his career out with a homemade costume and considering the idea to join up with Tony at first the right call. When he shows Tony some sketches of the iconic Spidey suit, he will say nahh and make the Iron Spider outfit for him. Then when Spidey's allegiances shift he switches to the iconic suit which was made off screen in secret.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 30, 2015, 11:12:26 AM
So who here is betting Spidey will have his Iron Spider outfit as his first official Spider-Man costume in Civil War?

Originally in the comics Spidey joined up with Stark at first whom made this costume for him and I'll be honest...I am not a fan of the design but it is his most functional suit EVER. Including appendages that can emerge from the back he can use for combat with camera tips, camouflage system, gliding capabilities and much much more.

Basically I see this with MCU Spidey just starting his career out with a homemade costume and considering the idea to join up with Tony at first the right call. When he shows Tony some sketches of the iconic Spidey suit, he will say nahh and make the Iron Spider outfit for him. Then when Spidey's allegiances shift he switches to the iconic suit which was made off screen in secret.

If Spidey can't make it work with his classic costume, he's not worth putting in. At best I'd want to see him in 1 or 2 movies with the symbiote costume but nothing made by Stark. But I like his traditional red-and-blue. Makes him look more like Cap and, even though it's a different company, Superman.

CaptainNexus616

I figured it would be a good way to physically show character development.

By the way I thought of something and I am not entirely certain this was mentioned before. In Guardians of the Galaxy

Groot sacrificed himself to save the others and later revealed to be alive as a small stick slowly growing back to his full size. So then in theory all those other sticks around the crash site. Couldn't they grow into even more Groots?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌