Jedi religion founder accuses supermarket of discrimination over rules on hoods

Started by Lilias, September 26, 2009, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/18/jedi-religion-tesco-hood-jones

QuoteTesco has been accused of religious discrimination after the company ordered the founder of a Jedi religion to remove his hood or leave a branch of the supermarket in north Wales.

Daniel Jones, founder of the religion inspired by the Star Wars films, says he was humiliated and victimised for his beliefs following the incident at a Tesco store.

Tesco has fired back:

Quote"He hasn’t been banned. Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood."

Ooh, snap.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Andy

Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Will

If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Revolverman

OldSchoolGamer

"Your Jedi mind tricks no work on me.  Only deep knowledge of the Star Wars canon and storyline..."

The Overlord

I really can see it both ways. You were offended over a pseudo-religion in a science-fiction setting, dreamed up by some kid from southern California that was highly motivated to be a bigtime movie director...get a grip, dude.

On the other hand, L. Ron Hubbard wrote a fucking book and launched a religion over it...

As far as the 'Tesco' place goes, why the big fuss over a hood in the first place?

QuoteThey weren't listening to me and were rude. They had three people around me. It was intimidating

So what? What are they going to do, kick his ass? Then he's got them on assault charges. They're store security and management...just how intimidating can they be?

And if you want to quote canon, who's to say they're from the Jedi temple? There were many variant sects among the Force-sensitive...we're splitting hairs here.

Dumb.

Kaiten

The Overlord

Quote from: Kaiten on September 27, 2009, 03:47:14 AM
What kinda Jedi is he if he can get intimidated anyway?

I was thinking...god damn store rent-a-cops, no less.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: The Overlord on September 27, 2009, 03:29:56 AM
As far as the 'Tesco' place goes, why the big fuss over a hood in the first place?

I don't know if its the same in your part of the world, but over here the hooded top is the fashion item of choice for the teenaged troublemaker. Pulling the hood up provides some degree of identity bluring when you're being recorded on security camera for your later court appearance. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Will

I can think of lots of places where it's policy to remove hats and/or hoods when entering.  It's the same deal here; cameras have to be able to get a good look at you.

And he did specifically say Jedi.  Not Jensaarai, or Dathomir witches, or Aing-Tii. ::)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

The Overlord

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 27, 2009, 07:04:25 AM
I don't know if its the same in your part of the world, but over here the hooded top is the fashion item of choice for the teenaged troublemaker. Pulling the hood up provides some degree of identity bluring when you're being recorded on security camera for your later court appearance. :)

But dressing like a hoodrat does not automatically make you one.

If anything, I think the store is guilty of discrimination.

Inkidu

Besides any self-respecting Jedi knows you freaking take your hood off indoors! It's just rude!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Mmm, I think nothing so clearly spells out 'back the fuck off Jack' like the sound of an igniting lightsaber.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: The Overlord on September 27, 2009, 09:34:17 AM
But dressing like a hoodrat does not automatically make you one.

No, but if you dress in a manner that is associated with problem behaviour, it's logical for someone who doesn't know you to believe that you may be planning to engage in said behaviour.

It may not be the case, but it's understandable why they'd think that way.

Quote from: The Overlord on September 27, 2009, 09:34:17 AM
If anything, I think the store is guilty of discrimination.

If their shop regulations say everyone has to take off the hoods, or helmets, or what have you, then if you want to continue shopping there, you do as they ask.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on September 27, 2009, 09:37:34 AM
Mmm, I think nothing so clearly spells out 'back the fuck off Jack' like the sound of an igniting lightsaber.
Well I've always wondered would a regular lead bullet be deflected by a lightsaber.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 27, 2009, 09:39:11 AM
No, but if you dress in a manner that is associated with problem behaviour, it's logical for someone who doesn't know you to believe that you may be planning to engage in said behaviour.

It may not be the case, but it's understandable why they'd think that way.

If their shop regulations say everyone has to take off the hoods, or helmets, or what have you, then if you want to continue shopping there, you do as they ask.
No shirt, no shoes, no service policies like this are the norm. Though they've never said anything about pants...

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on September 27, 2009, 09:43:04 AM
Well I've always wondered would a regular lead bullet be deflected by a lightsaber.

Which in the modern world makes that my weapon of choice...nothing like a little incentive of another gun taking you out to reconsider using yours.

ShrowdedPoet

Here there is a no hoods, hats, or masks policy.  It's so if there is an incident the cam gets your face.  Also if you pay attention most convienent stores have a ruler to measure your height in the doorway (at least here they do).  It's their rules and they're damn good rules, there for a damn good reason.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

The Overlord

Yeah see, I have a fundamental issue with the levels of security we resort to. If I'm not up to something, then having my picture taken without my consent isn't needed.

And to answer your next retort that is coming (if you're not doing anything you have nothing to worry about) you're missing the fucking point. We've gotten used to a certain level of privacy invasion that we've actually allowed ourselves to be convinced it's OK.

ShrowdedPoet

I work at a grocery store in a town where armed roberies are rampant.  My grandmother owns a convienant store.  She's been robbed more than once.  I am perfectly fine with that measure of my privacy being invaded if it deters, help catch criminals.  It'll stop people from braining an old lady for all she has.  I'm completely ok with this.

Oh yeah, you read me wrong, that wouldn't have been my retort.  *nods*
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on September 27, 2009, 08:24:45 PM

Yeah see, I have a fundamental issue with the levels of security we resort to. If I'm not up to something, then having my picture taken without my consent isn't needed.

And to answer your next retort that is coming (if you're not doing anything you have nothing to worry about) you're missing the fucking point. We've gotten used to a certain level of privacy invasion that we've actually allowed ourselves to be convinced it's OK.
Your right to privacy is quite limited in public places. You have the right not to be searched on the spot, and that's about it. You have the right not to be manhandled or basically assaulted. In most states.

The fundamental point I make is the Jedi should have removed his hood indoors. Look at the movies. All Jedi remove their hoods while indoors. It's common courtesy.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on September 27, 2009, 09:04:12 PM
Your right to privacy is quite limited in public places. You have the right not to be searched on the spot, and that's about it. You have the right not to be manhandled or basically assaulted. In most states.

Well you can attempt to do more, but understand I'll defend myself with necessary force if I feel my rights are being violated.

As far as the hat/hood thing goes, you'll forgive me for calling out some of the eccentric little customs we apes have contrived.

Removing a piece of cloth covering your cranium as a symbol of respect, curious when you think about it objectively. Point is, a very big fuss was made over a very trivial occurrence.

If I walk into your house and you treat me as a potential criminal from the get-go, you’re probably going to get the very confrontation you were trying to avoid. I have absolutely no reservations on teaching you respect if you don’t show it to me.

HairyHeretic

I'd want to know what the hell you were doing in my house in the first place  :P

If their rules say no head coverings, or whatever type, and he wishes to use their business, he obeys their rules. If he finds them too much of a hassle, there are other places to shop.

Oh, and respect is not taught. It's earned. Try and teach someone 'respect', and you may get fear, or obedience, but you won't have respect.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RubySlippers

I bet if he was a Jewish person they would let him where that little cap they wear if a gentleman, how dare the discriminate against the Jedi Faith. And he is like the Pope of that faith the founder so he sets the rules really for the Jedi's.