On Protecting and Protection

Started by Dingo, March 19, 2009, 03:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingo

This is the third in my hopefully long series of blogs, but before I begin with the topic that won the vote, I want to begin saying some things.

I am very disappointed. I don't know how many people are members on Elliquiy and only twenty of voted. Are my thoughts of that little interest to you ? Well it doesn't really matter. Twenty of you have voted and decided that I should write on the topic of hand. Five of you were interested in my thoughts on Global Warming, which was tied with my thoughts on the games I play and the movies I watch.

Because of that I will keep those two subjects into my list for the next time. But now we go to the main subject at hand. And I dreaded it would be this subject. But my idea was to write my thoughts on whatever the audience demanded so here they are.

Whatever.

And yes, that may sound very crude, but that is the best summary of my thoughts (as I begin writing this) on protecting as well as protection.

I can perfectly understand that someone feels the urge to protect, to shield someone from harm and to keep that person safe. I know. I have those urges myself. But the truth is, over time I learned that sometimes one should let that someone be hurt. In the act of protecting, the protector does not escape unscathed. And this is something that many protected forget. If the person being protected learns to avoid ending up in situations where they need protection, it's better for the both protector and the protected.

Now, on the other side I also perfectly understand the need to want protection, to have someone shield you from harm and to keep you safe. I know. I have that want as well. But the truth is, over time I learned that whenever someone steps in to shield you from damage, that person becomes hurt. It may not be much, but the Chinese do have a technique of torture and execution that describes almost a similar one in the relationship between a protector and the one protected.

Too many wounds take down the mightiest. But there's nothing wrong with someone taking a single big blow once in a while. Or someone standing at your side to provide you that moral support to fight your own battles. There's also nothing wrong in wanting to have someone at your side. But you should fight your own battles and be your own person. Don't rely on the protector, for too many blows will hurt him. Remember that.

So all the way down, on this subject after having given my thoughts on both I have to rephrase my initial summary. Now it is: "Fight your own battles."

Dingo

Dingo

I forgot something very important in this blog. But hey, it's a new one. Feel free to put any requests for the next opinion on anything here. I'll take it up in the vote in a few days.

Autumn Sativus

Quote from: Dingo on March 19, 2009, 03:55:57 PMDon't rely on the protector, for too many blows will hurt himthem. (;)) Remember that.

I really liked the way you put that. It puts things into perspective for both the protector and the protected. Placing too much strain on one person will lead to their breakdown, which leaves both parties vulnerable if they're relying on one to fight. Sometimes both parties need a reminder of this.

I just thought I'd chuck that in there, a cent or two of my opinion.
It's good to keep this kind of thing in check and balance. Let the 'protected' fight their battles whenever possible, for it will make them stronger in the end.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Desan

Great post once again!

Requesting as promised

Next post hopefully talk about the approval rates here yesh?

And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.

Petra

Well I must say, I did vote for this subject. I wanted to know your thoughts on it, and I've told you that before. It was something nice to wake up to and read (even though I just now reread it as I was a sleepy head last time). Now, on your thoughts, it was quite good, and well mapped. Only one thing did I have any blatant thought that really popped up, though it may just be me.

Or someone standing at your side to provide you that moral support to fight your own battles. There's also nothing wrong in wanting to have someone at your side. But you should fight your own battles and be your own person.

This part. I've been in the relationship where, I was sheltered. I tried to fight, but was always held back. If I tried to fight, I was pinned and told to wait. But I'm through with that. It's hard, to go through without the moral support, and still find the...will to keep fighting. Most of the time, I didn't. I gave up, and let important matters drop because I hate fighting. But now, I do have the moral support, and I don't let the matter drop, unless it just isn't worth my time, instead of worth the effort.

Petra